Great films that sound dull on paper.

montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was watching Apocalypto on TV last night, but I remember when it came out and from it's description it sounded like a really dull and worthy Oscar bait type of film, as opposed to a thrilling and brilliant piece of entertainment that it actually is.

So I was thinking about what other films sound like a bore fest from their description, but are actually really entertaining.

Shawshank Redemption is another one, because if someone has said to me "you'll really enjoy this 2 and half hour film set in a 1940s US prison" I would have thought that you were mad!

Comments

• MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Whiplash.

I was completely turned off when I read it was a film about a schoolkid who wanted to drum. I then read some promising reviews and decided to watch it and was really impressed with the story, acting and also liked the music even though I thought jazz would be boring.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Social Network - a film about the beginning of Facebook.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Glengarry Glen Ross.

Bunch of salesmen sit in an office and try to get the best business leads.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengarry Glen Ross.

I was going to suggest that one, so I'll go with Quiz Show about the fixed TV show 21 in the 50's.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Good Will Hunting

Young guy doesn't know what to do in life, goes to therapy a bit, and is pretty good at maths.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Breakfast Club

5 teenagers spend a Saturday morning in detention!
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glengarry Glen Ross.

Yes indeed. A masterclass in acting from Lemon, just imperious.

Another I thought sounded underwhelming but was fantastic is The Station Agent, where Peter Dinklage buys a disused railway station to live in. Wonderful, life-affirming movie, really moved me.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The King's Speech sounded dull as dishwater on paper. But it was a mesmerizing two hours.
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midsblue wrote: »
    Whiplash.

I was completely turned off when I read it was a film about a schoolkid who wanted to drum. I then read some promising reviews and decided to watch it and was really impressed with the story, acting and also liked the music even though I thought jazz would be boring.

I'm trying to get people to watch that and they're like "a film about drumming???" :s

Same problem I had with Fight Club, trying to explain it as a film about men who meet up and fight.

Some films you just have to see to understand.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    A doctor learns his wife once fantasised about a sailor, and goes for a walk to mull it over (Eyes Wide Shut).

An American GI wanders around Kent, and who's pouring glue into women's hair? (A Canterbury Tale).

As with all narrative forms, the magic lies in the telling. For a very long time the alleged Best Film Ever Made was about an old man getting a bit weepy over a toy sledge. Hardly sounds thrilling, but in a way it epitomised the brilliance of the medium like no other.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Constant Gardener - troubled man looking for his wifes murderer...........and he likes to do a bit of gardening.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Conversation (1974)

12 Angry Men (1957)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodnight and Good Luck - half a dozen men talking intensely and looking angry in black and white
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Vanishing Point

Man has to deliver a car
  • jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Beauty and the Beast : peasant girl develops Stockholm Syndrome.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Dinner with Andre .

2 blokes having dinner and talking .
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before Sunrise - two people wandering around having a chat
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wavelength - A single, blurry 45 minute shot of a small, mostly empty room, with no audible dialogue. Admittedly, most people will still consider it tedious after watching.
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exam - a bunch of people attending an entrance exam for a new job.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 angry men
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sideways and Little Miss Sunshine.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also agree with 12 Angry Men. Having seen the film and the play, it's so not boring!
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amadeus - Rivalry between two composers in the 18th century.
    The Music Box (Laurel and Hardy short) - Two blokes delivering a piano. Actually, quite a few L & H films sound dull on paper, but once those two get going.........
    The Hustler and The Color of Money - People playing pool.
    Hell Drivers - Lorry drivers transporting gravel.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Lone Star."

You'd think from the title, it was a run of the mill western, but it's far from that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCVzzRXc5Ws
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shawshank Redemption - Banker goes to prison for 30 years.

Oh wait you asked for movies that sound dull, not movies that sound like they'd never happen in the real world.