Dexter - Season 8 - UK Pace

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Was she a friend of La Guerta?

More like Harry - in the end credits sequence for next weeks episode, there's a clip of her saying "I know all about you Dexter - I helped create you".

Certainly a twist I didn't see coming, although the obvious implication that she's the 'big bad' is there already.

I have an intense dislike for Debra at the moment. As soon as she turns on the waterworks - again - I just want to throw something at the television. I wouldn't really have a problem if they killed her off sooner rather than later.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Harry obviously took Dexter to shrink lady so that he could get therapy after being understandably disturbed about witnessing his mother being butchered in the container.

I'm guessing it will turn out that shrink lady came up with the idea of using Dexter as an "experiment" where-by rather than treating him for his emotional issue's she planted the seed that turned him into a serial killer - I bet she was the one that told Harry he can't be "cured" so they should "manage" him instead - Probably she even came up with the "code" idea.

I've no doubt she is the "big bad" of the final season, but the interesting question is what role will she play in the conclussion of Dexter?

Certainly an unexpected turn of events, but it's fun that for the final season they are exploring Dexters origins. You can see the arc turning and it's all coming full circle, which is kinda nice.

As for the episode itself I thought it was very good. It's interesting that Harrison is starting to play a bigger role - Dexter has pretty much destroyed his sister, but what if he ultimately destroy's Harrison?

Debra isn't annoying me (I found her more annoying in the earlier seasons LOL) I'm pleased she's suffering about what they did to La Guerta.

Maria's death left a very bad taste in the mouth and it would have been even worse if everyone had just "moved on" by season 8.

Debra is a fundamentally good person, corrupted and ultimately destroyed by Dexter. Her behaviour is understandable, though it's hard to feel that much sympathy for her as she's an intelligent woman and knows all she has to do to rid herself of her guilt is to turn herself and Dexter into the police....

Dexter is the one that's annoying me now. He is a heartless, manipulative b*stard - The redeaming features from earlier seasons have gone. He is just an out and out villain.

He crossed the line with La Guerta and I'm really, really looking forward to seeing him get his comeupance (if that is indeed what happens)
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've no doubt she is the "big bad" of the final season, but the interesting question is what role will she play in the conclussion of Dexter?
    I doubt she is the one scooping out brains. For a while I wondered if that was Debra.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dexter is the one that's annoying me now. He is a heartless, manipulative b*stard - The redeaming features from earlier seasons have gone. He is just an out and out villain.

He crossed the line with La Guerta and I'm really, really looking forward to seeing him get his comeupance (if that is indeed what happens)

All through the series there have been innocent people who have been killed as a direct consequence of Dexter's actions, and he's never given a damm...and, interestingly, neither have many viewers.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    A good solid first episode. I get the feeling that the shrink lady might cause Dexter a few problems though - even if she isn't the big bad - at least it looks that way.

Joey and Jaime was an interesting development. I wonder if Batista finds out and then he'll be pissed.
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is becoming clear that as Dexter has moved away from his code he has become a less-likeable man. It was highlighted at him snapping at Harrison.

In the beginning his victims had to pass the code and now he is attacking people in fits of anger - stabbing the man Debs was with, the road rage.

Will he return to his code or will he crack up under the weight of it all.

Also Deb's password was funny: ****ing password. How apt for her.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Password... no... ****ing Password? yes"

ahah
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I thought Batista retired at the end of the last season? How come he's still a policeman?
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Batista retired at the end of the last season? How come he's still a policeman?

It was explained in the episode. Maria's murder made him reconsider his decision.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    It was explained in the episode. Maria's murder made him reconsider his decision.

I see thanks.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Both Batista and Matthews are back where they belong. The department seems understaffed a bit! I did wonder if the shrink had the ability to 'push' people to murder but that's retreading old ground and cribbing from The X Files too...
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debs really is cracking up. Not only did she kill a second person but she went through an entire scene without swearing!

Dexter please kill Vogel. Such a horrible human being and probably the one behind the killings. As creepy as Victor from The Returned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I could work out what the heck Dr Vogel is up to. Can't work it out yet. :D
  • CatsRuleCatsRule Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Looks like Joey might be starting to sort his life out. While Deb is going to the dogs.

Wonder if he'll have some involvement in Dexter's demise.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish I could work out what the heck Dr Vogel is up to. Can't work it out yet. :D

I think Vogel is manipulating Dexter. The whole 'someone is in my house' scene felt very off. I think she wants Deb out of the picture and have Dexter to herself.

It will be interesting to see what her ultimate plan is.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member
    a solid first and second episode! Is it me or does it seem slightly better filmed and produced? Have they spent more money on this final series? I can already tell that this series is going to be a real roller coaster ride. The neuro-psychologist Dr Vogel, played by an actress I recognise as a calibre actress... can mean only one thing...she is going to be ...very evil......and yes she is going to manipulate and dissect Dexter.... we don't know the whole story.... maybe Debs was also a project in someway?
  • sovietsongsovietsong Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Is it possible Vogel is a relation of dexters ? it was the cuddling bit at the end that put the idea in my head ,surely it's too obvious she's the "brain surgeon" ,fascinated to find out the way this is going to go
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted. Wrong forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sovietsong wrote: »
    Is it possible Vogel is a relation of dexters ? it was the cuddling bit at the end that put the idea in my head ,

Now that has some VERY interesting possibilities...:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually forgot to watch it on Monday but caught it last night.

My theory is that Vogel is obviously the person who's manipulating people into carrying out the "brain surgeon" murders. She's taking the 'framework', as she referred to it, to the next level and effectively creating an 'army' of serial killers (The Following anyone ? :D).

I think that will be the big reveal - but - the kicker, and the double super-secret even bigger reveal is that we'll find out that Deb has been seeing her and that she's actually been manipulating Deb into killing people in such a way that she fits the code, so Dexter has to decide whether or not to kill her.

I suspect Hannah McKay will figure in to that somehow, but not sure how - maybe it'll come down to Dexter having to choose between the only woman he's loved who 'gets' him (Hannah) or Deborah.

At least Deborah wasn't half as annoying in this episode though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually forgot to watch it on Monday but caught it last night.

My theory is that Vogel is obviously the person who's manipulating people into carrying out the "brain surgeon" murders. She's taking the 'framework', as she referred to it, to the next level and effectively creating an 'army' of serial killers (The Following anyone ? :D).

I think thats pretty much correct, but I justcan't work out what her "end game" is.

Obviously somehow it's all leading to the end of Dexter, but I can't put my finger on whats going to happen yet.
  • decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good episodes but I feel,they're lacking something. Maybe it's because La Guerta isn't there. It all just doesn't feel like Dexter somehow. Deb and her tense shaky voice are getting on my wick but it is interesting to watch her meltdown.

I don't want it to end! Think I'll go back to season 1 when 8 ends, back to when it had more heart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think thats pretty much correct, but I justcan't work out what her "end game" is

As I said in my post, I think the end game is going to involve Deb. Maybe Vogel has reached a point where she's refined the code to such an extent that she wants to 'experiment' on Dexter again to see if she can basically make him do whatever she wants, and that involves creating the 'perfect' victim in Deb.

Maybe :)
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CatsRule wrote: »
    Looks like Joey might be starting to sort his life out. While Deb is going to the dogs.

Wonder if he'll have some involvement in Dexter's demise.

I'm sure at one point he was suspicious of Dexter when he saw footage of him dumping bags into the sea. Now, that seems to have gone by the wayside and he seems oblivious to it all.

Also, I'm enjoying the season so far. Although, I will be disappointed if it turns out that Vogel is behind the murders. Too predictable for my liking. Similar to last season.