Media Hype and press that's destroyed music careers.

2»

Comments

• Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I know that's when EDM started to become the thing, but sometimes you have to go with the current trend to keep your career going. Or it will flounder and people will forget about you.

Yeah, dance-pop music started taking over around 2006 time, but Craig David did follow that trend, at least with one song. Hot Stuff had a remix where it used a Bob Sinclair (who was popular at the time) beat, the remix was arguably more popular than the original.

Another male example is Gary Barlow. He's successful now, but back when he started his solo career, the media turned against him and made up a fued between him and Robbie Williams, which caused radio to stop playing him (and it's the beginning of the end when that happens). I think his last single got cancelled then he got dropped from his label.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also say another example is George Michael. The media absolutely crucified him after his arrest, and though he handled it with good humour, I don't think his career was ever the same again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about George, I don't think his own behaviour has helped, he was caught buying crack don't forget. His comeback tour was going really welk until he got ill, and then there's been a load of smoke & mirrors since about rehab, suicide attempts etc.

I do feel for him but he could be a bit more open over what the hell is actually going on right now. Something really isn't right.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

Leona Lewis hyped by everyone and a series of bad diecisions and misfortunes saw her career prematurely hit the skids.

The hype didn't really hurt her career though, it was the series of very poor decisions. Instead of taking advantage of hype, her team just assumed they could do whatever they want.
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Gaga is culpable in her decline. To make a series of arrogant pronunciation about how much of an "artist" you are, call yr music "reverse Warholian" then come out with insipid songs like Applause.
    Ultimately you can hype all you want,its down to the music in the end.

Too true :D - taken for a ride by the art world too...

http://blogs.artinfo.com/artintheair/2013/08/19/marina-abramovics-elaborate-years-long-prank-on-lady-gaga-revealed
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You do realise that the whole story is fake?
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Mariah Carey went through a bad time after her album Rainbow flopped around 2001. She appeared on the US version of MTV Select and her behavior was eccentric. It was obvious that she had a breakdown. However, after her father passed away a year or so later, she managed to regroup and re-establish herself as an artist as well as get married and have children in her personal life.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    I would also say another example is George Michael. The media absolutely crucified him after his arrest, and though he handled it with good humour, I don't think his career was ever the same again.

apart from 'Outside' getting to #2 in the wake of the arrest? Plus another 4 top 10 hits and three subsequent #1 albums. His career ended in America but not here. What caused his decline at home was a never ending string of drug scandals and weak new material.
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You do realise that the whole story is fake?

Of course............but all the hype, fake or not, leads to the same conclusion: gaga + pretentious crap = limited life moneyspinner. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed all the people mentioned in this thread are women or gay men.

They do tend to get a harder time don't they...
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,863
    Forum Member
    Janet Jackson - after the ridiculous furore over nipplegate and the shitty way Justin fed her to the lions. Damita Jo (her album that followed is fantastic R&B and in my top 2 JJ albums) flopped and she never recovered
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course............but all the hype, fake or not, leads to the same conclusion: gaga + pretentious crap = limited life moneyspinner. ;)

Actually that doesn't follow at all.

Pop music is full of pretentious crap that's what makes it great at times. If it were all about social realism or spiritual epiphany, there wouldn't be much to listen to.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet interestingly Morrissey has survived accusations of paedophilia, sympathising with the moors murderers, treason, racism, inciting murder, and has slagged off all his contemporaries in no uncertain terms.

Guess it's all about how you play it;)
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina Aguilera was unfortunate for three reasons

1) being out of the spotlight for so long between Back to Basics and Bionic

2) Gaga hitting the scene in between these two, going through the whole Fame era of electroclash-pop and electropop and releasing Bad Romance and the 'monstrous' imagery coming in - Bionic then looked like the worst kind of quickly-put-together ripoff when it was probably just coincidence and bad timing and

3) Perhaps most importantly, her remark about Gaga while she was on her way up. She made some kind of disparaging remark that went viral and then for Xtina herself to release an album and songs that seemed to be ripping off this person she'd previously shat on a bit I think turned people off her
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed all the people mentioned in this thread are women or gay men.

They do tend to get a harder time don't they...

except Lady Gaga,Mariah & James Arthur if he's made an appearance..