Options

Shooting Stars NEW!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was this a one off or the start of a new series? I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC conmissioned a new series in the new year.

I loved the song,

"In 1942 I invented the shoe......in 1943 I invented the flu" :D
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    "In 1944, I invented the floor" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    TheEEfan01 wrote: »
    Was this a one off or the start of a new series? I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC conmissioned a new series in the new year.

I loved the song,

"In 1942 I invented the shoe......in 1943 I invented the flu" :D

I think you will find he invented the tree in 1943....:p
  • Options
    spankyplugsspankyplugs Posts: 14,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing the documentary hit me with is how good Mark Lamarr is/was in general.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find he invented the tree in 1943....:p

Yes, and in 1944 he invented the floor :p
    The flu and the tissue were both 1942 inventions (along with the shoe)
  • Options
    DeskDesk Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Ratings..

BBC Two
    21:00 - Shooting Stars: The Inside Story - 2.35m (10.1%)
    22:00 - Shooting Stars - 3.23m (14.8%)

This compares to

BBC One
    19:30 - EastEnders - 6.17m (26.8%)
    21:00 - Around The World in 20 Years - 4.42m (19%)

ITV1
    19:00 - Emmerdale - 6.61m (29.7%)
    21:00 - Taggart - 4.79m (21%)

Great ratings and audience share for a BBC 2 show on a far smaller budget than these other productions.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's something that occurred to me.

Matt Lucas came up with more jokes in an average episode of Shooting Stars than he did in three series of Little Britain.
  • Options
    planetnokiaplanetnokia Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched it thinking it was going to be a complete let down...but NO!!!!...it was flippin' brilliant.
  • Options
    Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    JonDoe wrote: »
    Here's something that occurred to me.

Matt Lucas came up with more jokes in an average episode of Shooting Stars than he did in three series of Little Britain.

Yeah, don't know why that is. Matt Lucas and David Walliams were very good in Rock Profile, brilliant in Mash & Peas (on Paramount Comedy) and of course Matt was and clearly still is fantastic on Shooting Stars.

But his most popular show, Little Britain, was just sort of OK for the first series, and pretty awful by the last.
  • Options
    MuffinhoMuffinho Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Lots of people here who have:

1. Never seen the show before.

2. For some reason decided to watch this Special despite the above.

3. Decide to slag it off because they don't get it.

This was for the fans. And it was pretty much the same as it has always been - I was afraid that, like many 'comebacks' it would have forgotten itself.

Same as always. Very funny. You either get it or you don't. Its either your thing or it isn't. And it is never about the 'quality' of the guests. It is not their show, it is Vic and Bob's.

The documentary was hilarious. George Dawes is a legend - and is even funnier when he is trying not to laugh himself!
    QFT.

Oh how I have missed this show! Not sure a new series would work without Lamarr and a young, game-for-a-laugh Ulrika but I'd love to see Dave pick up some of the classic series in the New Year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the satellite viewers among us, Challenge TV have showed the entire run a few times in the last year so I'd keep an eye out for it coming back on there.

PS. I wish I had a pair of Geordie Jeans...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually Geordie Jeans was a well-known chain of fashionable Jeans shops; the spoof Shooting Stars did was Geordie Jumpers, with a pocket for your tabs and a pocket for your pint.
  • Options
    ThebensterThebenster Posts: 6,880
    Forum Member
    For the satellite viewers among us, Challenge TV have showed the entire run a few times in the last year so I'd keep an eye out for it coming back on there.

Yes, it was at 11pm nightly, although I only got round to seeing it a few times. Looking ahead, it won't be on Challenge or Virgin1 at all in January.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    Cracking show.. Nothing to fault, and I was PMSL before the Opera singer started, never mind once he'd got through it all!

Good to have it back.

I must admit that I haven't seen much of the Will Self series, as that wonderous iPlayer didn't exist back in them there days..
    Must go track 'em down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Geordie Jeans was a well-known chain of fashionable Jeans shops; the spoof Shooting Stars did was Geordie Jumpers, with a pocket for your tabs and a pocket for your pint.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kX85QqzrXO0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point still stands, Geordie Jeans is/was a real shop!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to get the address of a branch. I hear they're particularly 'tight around the orse'
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really enjoyed the special,bought back so many memories of good t.v.matt lucas has told fans to let the BBC know if they want a new series,he said they are all up for it..just such a wacky mad outthere show..funny stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the only branch I actually knew of was in the Metrocentre (nr Newcastle/Gateshead) n it closed down years ago.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superb documentary and great new episode!

I had a Shooting Stars night last night as it was the documentary followed by the new episode, then a little later on was Comedy Connections: Shooting Stars. :D

Fantastic. :)

Shame they couldn't get Mark L on the documentary though - he doesn't seem to appear on TV at all anymore since he went off Buzzcocks.

Ulri-ka-ka-ka-ka.

An evening of silliness. :D
  • Options
    minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superb documentary and great new episode!

I had a Shooting Stars night last night as it was the documentary followed by the new episode, then a little later on was Comedy Connections: Shooting Stars. :D

Fantastic. :)

Shame they couldn't get Mark L on the documentary though - he doesn't seem to appear on TV at all anymore since he went off Buzzcocks.

Ulri-ka-ka-ka-ka.

An evening of silliness. :D
    Totally brilliant wasnt it??
    Reeves and Mortimer are legends.
    i cried with laughter at the make up artists and cameramen.
    wonderful to relive all the funny moments of my youth.
    the new edition was fab and i actually enjoyed Jack Dee as captain,so funny to watch him crack up laughing at the end.
    the Comedy Connections was really interesting too.
    isnt Mark L now on radio 2...im not sure....:confused:
    anyway...UVAVU!!!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RE: Shooting Stars on DVD - I wish they'd release a DVD set of every episode. :)

Weirdly I did a search on Google and it came up with this page from Play.com - http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/718844/-/Product.html - no prices, or anything. Perhaps this is a placeholder page for a DVD coming soon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minxymoo wrote: »
    Totally brilliant wasnt it??
    Reeves and Mortimer are legends.
    i cried with laughter at the make up artists and cameramen.
    wonderful to relive all the funny moments of my youth.
    the new edition was fab and i actually enjoyed Jack Dee as captain,so funny to watch him crack up laughing at the end.
    the Comedy Connections was really interesting too.
    isnt Mark L now on radio 2...im not sure....:confused:
    anyway...UVAVU!!!!:D
    Hi,

Yes, I love the idea of them always having a "grumpy" person on that team - Mark L then Will Self, then Jack Dee last night.

RE: Mark L - Yes, I think he's still on the radio but doesn't do TV anymore, which is a shame as he's really funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RE: Shooting Stars on DVD - I wish they'd release a DVD set of every episode. :)

Weirdly I did a search on Google and it came up with this page from Play.com - http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/718844/-/Product.html - no prices, or anything. Perhaps this is a placeholder page for a DVD coming soon?

Sadly not - Unviewed and Nude was a special released in the VHS days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member

I was actually lucky enough at my work to do the reversioning of Series 2-5 for Challenge/Virgin, for some reason we never got Series 1. This really just meant put in a 'fake break' and, unfortunately, edit more bits out than the Beeb had already for broadcast timing and watershed reasons (The Good Sex Guide, you won't be surprised to hear, was completely cut out!). This has always confused me a little though, as whenever I've seen it on Challenge, it was 11pm onwards. But anyway for a good 2-3 months, I was sat in an edit suite, mostly just watching hilarious episodes one after the other, and it was great!

Like most people, I laughed and reminisced a lot at the special (only moment I would have added was Vic wooing Victoria Silvstedt by farting in her face, and her great reaction!) and maybe not quite so much at the new ep, but why couldn't it last another series? Every run in the old days was around 12 episodes, and Vic & Bob looked like they had plenty of enthusiasm left in them for that much!

Definitely bring back Paul Shane (at least show that clip of him once!) and of course the club singing...ba-by BA-BY!