Tennant / Smith Regeneration Confirmed

stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Now I know for most people the idea that we're going to see the Doctor regenerate at the end of Tennant's last episode doesn't need confirmation but I've also seen people making far too much of a jokey comment from Davies that we mightn't see it, so just to be clear from an interview with Tennant / Davies / Gardner / Lynn at Comic con:

"Euros Lynn said he showed the regeneration scene (where Tennant's Doctor "dies" and turns into Matt Smith) to composer Murray Gold, who bawled like a baby."

http://io9.com/5322961/

(Warning, some mild spoilers in the full article.)

Comments

• EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good good :) I like a good regeneration scene, I do.

I've been thinking of a way the Doctor could go out with a bang that would make me, personally, cry. The scenario I came up with (if anyone's interested in a fan story :p)

I'll put it in spoilers just in case some are offended by the mention of certain cast members:
    The Doctor has spent the past 4 series feeling guilty over the apparent demise of his people, and every time there's any chance of another Time Lord being alive, they're either a psycopath (and get shot) or they're his daughter (and get shot).

There's sufficient evidence to suggest that at least a handful of Time Lords return in Tennant's last episodes. How they survived isn't important right now, but there's probably going to be some tension between Timothy Dalton's character and the Doctor.

I think a good plotline would be Dalton not trusting the Doctor after what he did. He'd probably argue that if the Time Lords were meant to die, they were meant to die - and the Daleks were meant to be supreme. The old-fashioned Time Lord dogmatic view of universal fate.

Over the course of the episode, the Doctor stands by his actions, and feels betrayed knowing that even when he thought he was doing the right thing, his brothers still disapprove of him. This doesn't help anyone with a guilt complex.

Skipping to the end, the Doctor, the Master (the villain) and Dalton are the last Time Lords alive. They're dying, and whatever ship they're on, has to be blown up - but can only be triggered by one person. Dalton decides to make the sacrifice. The Doctor insists he does the job, since he has nothing to live for anymore. Dalton, in a turn around in character, convinces him otherwise. In a soppy moment, Dalton puts his hand on the Doctor's shoulder and says...

"I'm proud of you."

The Doctor's guilt - all that melanchony, pain and quest for peace of mind - suddenly ends. He's overjoyed that his Time Lord Masters have forgiven him, knowing he's done the right thing and that they're proud of him for doing it. He hurridly runs for the TARDIS before the ship explodes and regenerates. The Tenth Doctor's life ends on a happy note afterall.

Bit long, sorry, and I don't know where the former companions would fit into it, but I think The Doctor's people forgiving him and giving him their blessing would be a bittersweet end to the 'Time War' story arc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im glad that they have finally said something.....at least this will put an end to the idea that somehow Matt is anyone other than the 11 Doctor!!!!!!
  • kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah just saw that on io9 interesting mini interview and there is more in the coming week of that Q&A so looking forwards to that too.
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interview also confirms
    Dalton and Simm's appearnces which does make all those attempts to "prove" the photo of them with Tennant was a fake quite funny.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than the Time Lords 'forgiving' the Doctor for his actions I think it would be much more of a clean break if it was revealed the Doctor wasn't as responsible for the end of the Time War as he always thought. Timothy Dalton's character, whoever he is, could be shown as using both the Doctor and Master as pawns in his own game and HE was the one who destroyed the Time Lords and Daleks at the end of the War.

So the Doctor and the Master have to team up against Timothy Dalton. Then in a twist at the end, when the Doctor thinks he and the Master are on the same side, the Master stabs him in the back, literally, resulting in the regeneration.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we'll see the Time Lords in the "present" at all. I think the Master will force the Doctor to relive the events of the Time War, which handily will allow them to do flashbacks with Tennant in the place where McGann would have been.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see the Time Lords in the "present" at all.

I'm not so sure. If Moffat wants everything else 'reset' before he takes over, then the restoration of the Time Lords in the climax wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about that mind, as the Doctor as the Lonely Traveller is quite a cool concept, and a return of the TL's might lessen some of the impact of a few of the moments in S1 through S4.

That said though, I'm sure Moffat could steer the show through a pretty intriguing course in a Whoniverse with a restored Gallifrey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miasma wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. If Moffat wants everything else 'reset' before he takes over, then the restoration of the Time Lords in the climax wouldn't surprise me in the least.

He has said before that he thinks introducing the Time Lords was a mistake as it took away the mystery of the Doctor's character, so even if they did come back I can't see him doing much (if anything) with them.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interview also confirms
    Dalton and Simm's appearnces which does make all those attempts to "prove" the photo of them with Tennant was a fake quite funny.

I think those debunking attempts were trying to despoil the spoiled after the horse had bolted and the cat had been let out of the bag.

Some fans were still frantically going around forums denying the return of Davros right up until the day The Stolen Earth aired.
  • JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys I can totally see why you think this but did Euros actually name Smith in the interview or is that regeneration from Tennant to Smith bit a add on by the writer of the article ..?

It's just David says in Radio Times preview of Planet of the dead that the Grim Reaper knocks but how many times ..

I'm not sure what I mean.. :confused:

Other than David is hinting at something there I think :confused:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessicaL wrote: »
    Guys I can totally see why you think this but did Euros actually name Smith in the interview or is that regeneration from Tennant to Smith bit a add on by the writer of the article ..?

He says he showed him the regeneration scene (something Gold confirmed on Twitter).

What regeneration in Tennant's final episode do you think they could be talking about?

Donna into Amy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He says he showed him the regeneration scene (something Gold confirmed on Twitter).

What regeneration in Tennant's final episode do you think they could be talking about?

Donna into Amy?

As I say above I don't know :confused:

I'm just posting the quote from David ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JessicaL wrote: »
    As I say above I don't know :confused:

You don't know who's going to be regenerating in Tennant's last episode, in a scene which made a grown man cry?

How many options are there?
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Tennant into Carey Mulligan? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could John Simm regenerate into Timothy Dalton? Just a theory.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't know who's going to be regenerating in Tennant's last episode, in a scene which made a grown man cry?

How many options are there?

Well to be fair you seen River's look at the name Donna Noble in the library-it's not a extreme suggestion that maybe something happens -DoctorDonna returning as Donna starts to regenerate in the arms of her beloved Wilf or Ten -men,women and children would all be crying ...

Not saying it will happen -was just posting David's quote thats all ..:)
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    *shouts at self.............*

Weedle - STEP BACK FROM THE SPOILERS!!!!! :eek::eek:

Weedle - RESIST THE EVULLLL TEMPTATIONS!!!! :eek::eek:

Weedle - STEP OUT OF THE THREAD!!!!! :mad::mad:

'kay :o:o

*leaves thread, shuts door and padlocks it, muttering "I must resist the spoilerage"..........*

if you see the ghost of Weedle (ermm me *points at self* )shout at me and banish me from the threads......