Take That - Progress

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
Forum Member
i've just listened to Take That's new album and its awesome, like a proper ground breaking record and their best yet by far (old incarnation and new)

It is a statement record (as mentioned in the documentary 'Look back, dont stare' last night) and will be HUGE!

anyone else heard it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heard the samples of the album online, but damn i hate The Flood...SOS sounds like it could be a HUGE smash!

may need to grow on me, giving Progress to my mum for Christmas because she loved Take That in their heyday and loves Robbie :) so WIN WIN.

The sound of the album overall is very different, almost darker. Stuart Price has definitely worked his magic yet again! :)

I lost my faith in him slightly with his work for Kylie and then The Flood i was like....oh man! but after listening to Progress' samples....it's practically back to Confessions On A Dance Floor standards! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    heard the samples of the album online, but damn i hate The Flood...SOS sounds like it could be a HUGE smash!

may need to grow on me, giving Progress to my mum for Christmas because she loved Take That in their heyday and loves Robbie :) so WIN WIN.

The sound of the album overall is very different, almost darker. Stuart Price has definitely worked his magic yet again! :)

I lost my faith in him slightly with his work for Kylie and then The Flood i was like....oh man! but after listening to Progress' samples....it's practically back to Confessions On A Dance Floor standards! :)

Yeah 'SOS' is practically a hit right from the first listen, there also is a song lead by mark owen called 'What Do You Want From Me' which is just an awesome ballad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah 'SOS' is practically a hit right from the first listen, there also is a song lead by mark owen called 'What Do You Want From Me' which is just an awesome ballad.

not a fan of Mark Owen, but i must say you are right! it really hits you doesn't it! :)

but yes i think like when Madonna and Stuart collaborated they got the raw sonics and Electronica sounds and made Confessions On A Dance Floor into this firey journey of an album.( my personal favourite of the last decade! alongside Gorillaz Demon Days, Xtina's Stripped, No Doubt's ROck Steady and Britney's Britney) but it really set the benchmark i feel, and Stuarts work with The Killers, Brandan Flowers, The Scissor Sisters, Kylie just seems to have got cheapened somewhat through every collabe, UNTIL HERE!! with Progress i feel, and yes this must be their best album EVER

I must say that Stuart's work with the Take That boys has ensured a similar vibe has been created for Progress, and of all the songs i have heard The Flood doesn't reflect the album overall at all!

But while i want Rihanna's LOUD to succeed i do feel that i want Progress to be really successful TOO! because this will get the fans all back on track etc. and with future releases i really hope it reflects that vibe of the band overall :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    Kidz and SOS are by far the best tracks in my opinion. Really enjoying those at the moment. Pretty Things has a definite Bowie vibe about it to.

Really hate Happy Now, it's dreadful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    sparkle_18 wrote: »
    Kidz and SOS are by far the best tracks in my opinion. Really enjoying those at the moment. Pretty Things has a definite Bowie vibe about it to.

Really hate Happy Now, it's dreadful.

REALLY... Happy Now is incredibly catchy... Its a grower i think
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine should be arriving tommorow, glad it's getting posotive feedback.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who like the guitar songs of the last 2 albums will hate this. It sounds like most could have fit on Robbie's Rudebox album. There are honestly about 3 good songs on here.

I think the masses just wont 'get it'. It'll sell well ofcourse due to it being Take That
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    pharoah wrote: »
    People who like the guitar songs of the last 2 albums will hate this.

That's a sweeping generalisation. I liked the last two albums, but I also like Progress. It is possible to like both styles!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a sweeping generalisation. I liked the last two albums, but I also like Progress. It is possible to like both styles!

Yes I know it's possible to like both but there are people who just like that middle of the road sound they had with previous songs from the last two albums and the only song that's really like that on this album is The Flood. I love Stuart Price's production but I don't think the masses will like it.

It's just my opinion.
    Forum Member
    What Do You Want From Me is also not very good either. I'm not sure I like Mark screeching 'I still want to have sex with you'. Lyrically, it's not a good song, and Mark's vocals, as usual, just aren't easy to listen to/
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Flood is very misleading! It's a bit of a 'safe' single to make sure everyone who bought the last 2 records isn't frightened away from the rest of Progress, which has more of an electronic sound (a la some of Robbie's 'Reality Killed...'), a severe lack of Gary(!), some darker songs and isn't as easy listening, elevator music as Circus and Beautiful World.

About 4 of them feel like they could be Robbie solo, another 4 are Mark with the odd Robbie contribution, then you've got Gary singing the one about their split, which Robbie wrote the lyrics for, and Howard singing a pretty naff one (it really is crap, shouldn't have been on there), with Jason doing a nice secret track.

All in all it IS exactly what it's called, 'Progress', but progressing to something the fans of 2006-09 will like? Not sure. If you like both Robbie, Mark and the band as a whole you'll like Progress.
    Forum Member
    I agree, there isn't enough Gary. His is the only vocal I really like, so that meant I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Flood is very misleading! It's a bit of a 'safe' single to make sure everyone who bought the last 2 records isn't frightened away from the rest of Progress, which has more of an electronic sound (a la some of Robbie's 'Reality Killed...'), a severe lack of Gary(!), some darker songs and isn't as easy listening, elevator music as Circus and Beautiful World.

About 4 of them feel like they could be Robbie solo, another 4 are Mark with the odd Robbie contribution, then you've got Gary singing the one about their split, which Robbie wrote the lyrics for, and Howard singing a pretty naff one (it really is crap, shouldn't have been on there), with Jason doing a nice secret track.

All in all it IS exactly what it's called, 'Progress', but progressing to something the fans of 2006-09 will like? Not sure. If you like both Robbie, Mark and the band as a whole you'll like Progress.

So someone agrees with me. I do agree with you that they have misled people with The Flood. So many people will listen to the rest and be confused!

On another note, it's nice to see them experiment with their sound even though I don't necessarily like most of the songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing's for sure, tracks like Kidz are going to be amazing on their new tour. I can imagine a big BIG production all around that one. Wait is a class song, maybe my favourite atm, and I'm liking Pretty Things more now that I've heard it a couple more times. Dismissed it a little at first but it's now in my head!
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    People who like the guitar songs of the last 2 albums will hate this. It sounds like most could have fit on Robbie's Rudebox album. There are honestly about 3 good songs on here.

I think the masses just wont 'get it'. It'll sell well ofcourse due to it being Take That

I think you accidentally deleted the words '... in my opinion' at the end or beginning of that sentence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    I've heard Kids/kidz and I loved it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flukie wrote: »
    I think you accidentally deleted the words '... in my opinion' at the end or beginning of that sentence.

Ofcourse it's my opinion. Who elses would it be?:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who's not a TT fan and listened to the album on YouTube, it's bloody amazing! SOS, Kidz and The Flood are great, but I agree that TF is misleading as a lead single, as it's fairly similair to songs from Beautiful World and Circus, whereas the new ones are more electro/R&B.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am buying it tomorrow but based on what I heard last night on the documentary, it is definately their best yet. It for me seems Robbie's and Take That's styles mixed into one. To me, that shouldn't work but it does!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait backing track = planet rock Afrika Bambata.
  • NikhilNikhil Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do like the new album, have listened to it fully a couple of times now. Good sound. But like has been mentioned by others theres too much robbie on there really for my liking. It seems the album is mostly robbie and mark. There is certainly not enough gary, and he's probably got the strongest voice of the band (lyrically).....it'll still be a hit though....
  • sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad that so many people like SOS ... I loved it from the first moment I heard it ... and I didn't even hear who it was (although Mark's vocal is very distinctive.) They really should have been brave and led with this ... instead of the truly bland The Flood.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who like the guitar songs of the last 2 albums will hate this. It sounds like most could have fit on Robbie's Rudebox album.

Uh Oh... I loved the "Guitar" tunes from the previous 2 albums.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uh Oh... I loved the "Guitar" tunes from the previous 2 albums.

I don't think there's a single acoustic guitar/piano song on here. It's obviously a decision they made early on. So no Patience, Rule The World, Up All Night etc.
  • Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,762
    Forum Member
    Totally agree. The Flood is completely different to the whole album and people who buy the album expecting more like that will be shocked.

I hope SOS and Kidz are released as singles, they are both fantastic songs.