Options

Jay Z and Will Smith are remaking Annie!

teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
Forum Member
With Willow Smith in the lead role! :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a300394/will-smith-jay-z-annie-film-confirmed.html

It seems that they're going to revamp all of the songs too. Possibly the (premature) award winner for worst and most unnecessary remake of all time?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I only read the title of the thread and while I was clicking on the thread, I thought to myself what is the betting that it will star Will Smiths daughter.

And then the first line of your post is it will star Willow Smith :), I really wouldn't mind if the kids were good actors but they just ain't.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else notice all these Will Smith movies of the last decade or so are all released by Sony? Does his family have some sort of exclusivity deal with them or somehting?

Enough with the remakes Will, and stop pushing your kids on us too. From someone who was an incredibly likeable, down to earth guy, Will is slowly turning a lot of his fans against him. I think the idea of remaking Annie is stupid, as was the idea for remaking The Karate Kid too...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, this is going to be terrible. Isn't Annie meant to be white anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone needs to shut this film down asap!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will Smith is metamorphosing into Eddie Murphy. :(

Why do they have to remake things, just to make them into black productions? Why don't they just make a film with a similar plot line?

I mean 'The Whizz' really worked didn't it. :rolleyes:

I don't like it when they put black actors into roles that they do not really fit on T.V. either.
    Like in 'Merlin' where Guinevere is a black actress, it just doesn't fit the legend at all. :mad:
    Or where a couple will have a child who is obviously a mixed race actor, but they are both white, like Simon in Corrie or the original girl's parents in 'The Sarah Jane adventures'.
    It's just daft.
  • Options
    Dunce-2007Dunce-2007 Posts: 6,452
    Forum Member
    I hope Carlton has a cameo dance off with willow smith.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of a stupider remake. The character Annie is noted for her red hair! She is not black! There would have been uproar from the black community if a white man had portrayed BA Baracus in the recent A-Team film! :p Pushy dad Will Smith is going down in my estimations.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be awful, no doubt about that whatsoever.
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting really sick of all these remakes. :yawn:
    How many talented new writers must there be looking for work and the dumbass studios keep going over old ground to bleed more money from them.
    Don't expect to see the old tunes sung as they were in this remake especially if Jay Z and the Fresh Prince are running the show. Annie is gonna learn to rap, wear a tracksuit, have her hair gelled back into a side ponytail, wear lots of bling and probably have a new vocab which will include 'bitches', 'you crazy mutha', 'Wicka-waa-waa' and 'huh-huh-huh!' :rolleyes:

If Cher Lloyd gets a cameo as an orphan, I'm protesting for the film to be banned. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as I don't have to see it, I don't care.

Though there is something tragically desperate about Will Smith churning out these remakes for his children. I always liked him, too, but this is very off-putting.
  • Options
    hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hollywood is running out of original ideas, my daughter loves the original karate kid and loves the new one too, listening to her sing cruel summer is brilliant
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Although the idea of Smith forcing vehicles for his kids into production sounds sad, the truth is I found the Karate Kid remake to be vastly superior to the original in almost every way. Wipe away the nostalgia cobwebs and it was just a much better film. It wouldn't be hard to do the same with Annie too, considering how awful the original is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NO, no, no, no no!!!!!!

Nuff said!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    NO, no, no, no no!!!!!!

Nuff said!!

"FFS" - even less to be said....:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    With Willow Smith in the lead role! :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a300394/will-smith-jay-z-annie-film-confirmed.html

It seems that they're going to revamp all of the songs too. Possibly the (premature) award winner for worst and most unnecessary remake of all time?
    Can only think of The Karate Kid
    Agree with most of the other comments in the thread.

Reminds me about an episode of Boston Legal where a mother took a production of Annie to court because they didn't cast her black daughter in the role.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this isn't joke. We may get a good laugh. The original is awful enough. But I did love it's use in 'Serial Mom'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Z and Will Smith are remaking Annie!

I can't wait!:D
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porshacat wrote: »

Why do they have to remake things, just to make them into black productions? Why don't they just make a film with a similar plot line?

I don't like it when they put black actors into roles that they do not really fit on T.V. either.
    Like in 'Merlin' where Guinevere is a black actress, it just doesn't fit the legend at all. :mad:
    Or where a couple will have a child who is obviously a mixed race actor, but they are both white, like Simon in Corrie or the original girl's parents in 'The Sarah Jane adventures'.
    It's just daft.

I see your point about The Wiz (that was lousy)...and don't get me started on the nepotism aspect, not to mention the lazy remake aspect...but what is your issue with black actors in roles you deem as not fit?
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    porshacat wrote: »

It's just daft.

What's wrong with black filmmakers creating black productions, whether it's a remake or not? It's hard enough as it is for black filmmakers/actors to get noticed in Hollywood or be able to gain great roles unless you're Will Smith/Denzel Washington/Halle Berry. Having a non-white Guinevere hardly ruins Merlin, it's all folklore anyway so it's not exactly proven or key to the story. The characters could be purple and it wouldn't make much difference, the story would still be the same

There's too many white filmmakers in Hollywood as it is making pointless remakes, saying black filmmakers shouldn't just seems silly in comparison
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They might as well, they already have a song for it (the Jay-Z version of it's a Hardknock Life) and it might be a fun, more grittier film; I always found the orignal to be very sugary and the lead very annoying.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll watch it, but only if Will Smith himself plays Annie and Jay Z plays Daddy Warbucks, or the evil orphanage woman, his choice.
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I smell a flop.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed The Wiz for what it was - some of the songs are really underrated :)
    Isn't The Persuit of Happyness meant to be very good? Smith's son is in that.
  • Options
    joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Anyone else notice all these Will Smith movies of the last decade or so are all released by Sony? Does his family have some sort of exclusivity deal with them or somehting?

I think his management/production (and Jay-Z's for that) have some sort of tie-in to Sony - can't remember exacly. Something to do with Rok Nation I believe. ;)
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Don't like remakes, hate hip hop remakes, now despise hip hop remakes of bad films.