So - how many people die every day ?

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
so from the trailers for torchwood it seems that because no-one dies there's very quickly a massive over-population problem .

is this accurate ? I'd have thought it would take quite a while to have such an effect , but I don't really know the numbers .

so in reality how many people die each day on a global basis ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    millions and millions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yahoo Answers says: "The world's population is 6,525,170,264 (July 2006 est.) The birth rate is estimated at 20.05 births/1,000 population and the death rate at 8.67 deaths/1,000 population.

That gives us 358,192 births and 154,889 deaths as a daily average."

The trailers had the population at around 6.7 billion going into 7 billion, so the plot must stretch out over a couple of years or they just didn't do the maths.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Dizx wrote: »
    Yahoo Answers says: "The world's population is 6,525,170,264 (July 2006 est.) The birth rate is estimated at 20.05 births/1,000 population and the death rate at 8.67 deaths/1,000 population.

The trailers had the population at around 6.7 billion going into 7 billion, so the plot must stretch out over a couple of years or they just didn't do the maths.

They had different figures in the show, but you're right. Even with the figures they used it would take longer than a few months for overpopulation to become a global problem. The difficulty with population figures though, is that you can't apply them equally to all areas of the planet.

While certain nations or regions have very slow population growth, others have very fast growth. Also, areas with high starting populations will, naturally, grow at a faster rate than places with low starting populations. That is to say, the cities, which already are operating at or near peak capicity in stocking food, supplying water and providing housing & services for their citizens will begin to feel the crunch long before their rural cousins out in the farming communities.

It might well be that certain areas could become so overpopulated that the available land could not produce enough food to sustain them, particularly if there happens to be a drought or natural disaster. In fact, that already happens in the world as we know it, from time to time.
    It might be said that not having enough food should not be a big problem if you can't die anyway, but then, the conditions we are given are that people get sick and get hurt; they just don't die. In that case, it should be assumed that they still feel hunger and can still suffer the results of malnutrition. No one would want to just waste away, growing weaker and more sickly with each passing day, but unable to die, if they could find some way to avoid that fate. In all likelihood, some people would resort to cannibalism, rather than do without.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Dizx wrote: »

It'd take a good while for the earth's population to reach
    7 billion, as you said. And if no-one can die of starvation anymore, presumably famines won't be a problem either.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhobtoo wrote: »
    They had different figures in the show, but you're right. Even with the figures they used it would take longer than a few months for overpopulation to become a global problem. The difficulty with population figures though, is that you can't apply them equally to all areas of the planet.

While certain nations or regions have very slow population growth, others have very fast growth. Also, areas with high starting populations will, naturally, grow at a faster rate than places with low starting populations. That is to say, the cities, which already are operating at or near peak capicity in stocking food, supplying water and providing housing & services for their citizens will begin to feel the crunch long before their rural cousins out in the farming communities.

It might well be that certain areas could become so overpopulated that the available land could not produce enough food to sustain them, particularly if there happens to be a drought or natural disaster. In fact, that already happens in the world as we know it, from time to time.
    It might be said that not having enough food should not be a big problem if you can't die anyway, but then, the conditions we are given are that people get sick and get hurt; they just don't die. In that case, it should be assumed that they still feel hunger and can still suffer the results of malnutrition. No one would want to just waste away, growing weaker and more sickly with each passing day, but unable to die, if they could find some way to avoid that fate. In all likelihood, some people would resort to cannibalism, rather than do without.

This is one of the things that I don't understand about the Miracle Day plot. They say there will be a massive population boom but, as you said above re. the famines, diseases, injuries, once death comes back they would finally take their toll on all the inflicted people and kill them. This would equal a massive instant decline in population and keep on doing so as eg. new deadly illnesses that have mutated or the amount of dead about would add to illness as well. How would people cope with that? Sorry, rather morbid thought. :(
    I know I'm over thinking this but it's an interesting concept of a story. Whatever R.T.D. has come up with it'll be good, he always comes from such a unique view point.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bhobtoo wrote: »

yeah , i think that doctor said something like 300,000 die every day , and then bizarrely she added in the number that are born ...!
    they'd be born anyway .
  • TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    yeah , i think that doctor said something like 300,000 die every day , and then bizarrely she added in the number that are born ...!
    they'd be born anyway .

At that point, they'd moved over to measuring the daily population increase as a whole, rather than the delta.

That was my reading, anyhow...:)

Regards,

Cypher
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sigh* seemed like this to me.

So, we say that 100,000 are born everyday, and 300,000 die.

So, each day we have -200,000 people.

HOWEVER, if those 300,000 don't die, and 100,000 people are born, we have 400,000 people.

400,000 people of which 100,000 weren't there the day before, but are there the day after, and 300,000 people who shouldn't be there the day after.

Ergo, instead of decreasing by -200,000 each day, we actually get an EXTRA 400,000 who weren't/shouldn't be there the day after.

I think.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem was stated as being lack of food. Yes people wont die of starvation - but they aren't just going to sit back and go hungry, especially parents with starving kids. So you will have increasing incidents of food riots which leads to the health services being increasingly overwhelmed. Even in episode one we saw the intensive care unit overflowing into the corridor.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So - how many people die every day ?

I do.
  • HallamsteriscooHallamsteriscoo Posts: 21,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do.

Rory?! :eek:
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Earth's population has passed the 7 billion mark now or it is at least fast approaching this mark.
    I think ~150,000 people die each day and about 350,000 people are born. Something like that.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alwatson wrote: »

no , it's the other way around . there are more born than die
  • chukchuk Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I think the Earth's population has passed the 7 billion mark now or it is at least fast approaching this mark.
    I think ~150,000 people die each day and about 350,000 people are born. Something like that.

http://www.worldometers.info/

Interesting site, not vouching for its accuracy though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no , it's the other way around . there are more born than die

Aah.

The numbers don't matter anyway, it was just an example.

*Thinks desperately of an excuse*

My example was set during a massive war when loads of people died....
  • Drew_MDrew_M Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, as soon as they discussed the numbers I thought the situation wasn't as bad as they were making out. In the episode, the figures that Gwen and Rhys quoted were:

daily births = 500,000
    daily deaths = 300,000

So the increase due to no one dying (on top of the births) is 300,000 extra per day = 110 million per year (the normal population increase is 73m using these figures). I pondered it at the time because immediately after quoting the figures, Rhys said that it was nearly a million every three days (from no deaths) and then Gwen said to add to that 1 million in two days (from the births) plus the 'first million', so she was working out nthe total population increase. However, she didn't need to add on the 1 million every two days from the births to obtain the net increase due to the new situation as the boirths would have happened anyway (as stated above by Virgil).

So, from those figures then, it's an extra 110m per year. Using the above smaller number of 150,000 deaths per year would of course give a figure half of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    There's also this graph: http://www.poodwaddle.com/clocks/worldclock/

Looking at population and freezing it to get an estimate, at 19 hours and 20 minutes there was the following for a day:

299,000 births
    129,731 deaths

For argument's sake let's call it 24 hours for the math, remembering this is going to be far less than the actual amount

In 7 days

1,603,000 births
    908,117 people not dying

In 30 days

6,870,000 births
    3,891,930 people not dying

Multiply that by 4 months (assuming 30 days in a month), which they mentioned as the time period to society's collapse

27,480,000 births
    15,567,720 people not dying

At the time I froze the clock, the population was 6,847,651,300

So in 4 months the population would be 6,890,699,020 - which doesn't sound like much, but then you consider the following:

Hospitals are now overflowing
    People are panicking
    People are still getting hurt/sick/maimed etc. Add in the panic and that number escalates.
    One can no longer terminate pregnancies (adding to the birth rate)

It seems like it is only the beginning, and given human nature, people panic, they camp out in front of the hospital because of the miracle, they stop working because they're too busy trying to find a meaning to what happened and it starts to collapse.

A gross exaggeration perhaps, but it will be interesting to see where this goes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    The problem is more subtle than Torchwood so far gives credit- yes initially hospitals are the first to feel the burden - all those people who in the past would be dead live on and need medical attention - but overpopulation and starvation as a direct consequence are a long way off. The problem is food commodity speculation - everyone who speculates on food futures (how much will wheat cost in six months for example) will realise that with a much faster expanding populace then prices will skyrocket. Living just to pay the massive costs of food could become the norm. Also pension funds will very quickly be in crisis - as discussed in the first episode society depends upon predictable death rates - there is little margin for death failing :-) Pension funds would go bust surprisingly quickly. Care homes would be overwhelmed. The wealth of the middle-class retired could well vanish almost overnight as it depends upon predictable death rates. All in all totally devastating but not quite the too many people too little food simplification. But nicely spotted the impossibility of abortion icefan. And the question of will people carry on working if they cannot die too. I guess that is why the concept is so intriguing - neither the writers or the fans realise the full consequences of Miracle Day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so from the trailers for torchwood it seems that because no-one dies there's very quickly a massive over-population problem .

is this accurate ? I'd have thought it would take quite a while to have such an effect , but I don't really know the numbers .

so in reality how many people die each day on a global basis ?

42, the same answer as everything else.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    So you're hanging onto your towel, Medan? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    icefan wrote: »
    So you're hanging onto your towel, Medan? ;)

No, but I know where it is. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medan74 wrote: »
    No, but I know where it is. :D

Good, you should always know where your towel is.

And remember: Don't Panic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good, you should always know where your towel is.

And remember: Don't Panic.

I never panic because everyone I have ever met is mostly harmless.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope RTD hasn't spent months of his life and millions of pounds without spending 30 seconds to do the maths. In the show someone said we would have a crisis in "4 months". If the problem is running out of food, it will take years, not months (thanks to everyone above that already did the maths).

Maybe there is another problem that would kick-in before the food runs out, and I'll be watching to see. Part 1 was meaningless fun, but it could get a lot darker if there are armies of un-dead wandering the streets in future episodes.

Fingers cross RTD has thought this through and a basic plot hole doesn't make the whole thing laughable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, each day we have -200,000 people.

HOWEVER, if those 300,000 don't die, and 100,000 people are born, we have 400,000 people.

400,000 people of which 100,000 weren't there the day before, but are there the day after, and 300,000 people who shouldn't be there the day after.

Ergo, instead of decreasing by -200,000 each day, we actually get an EXTRA 400,000 who weren't/shouldn't be there the day after.

I think.
    Your figures are clealry nonsense as we have a growing population. There has never been any suggestion in recent decades that the world's population is in decline.