Given permission to smack another person's child. would you do it?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way. And I would never smack a child even if the parents begged me to. I used to work as a nanny and I think it is really unprofessional for a childminder to smack a child. It's illegal too.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I don't smack my own, there's no way I'd smack any child.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only bullies hit children.

Let's face it, if a person 2-3 times your size hit you you'd be screaming 'assault' and calling the police.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't hit other people's children, although there are times I would love to, but I restrain myself.

I am evil, and I probably put the apostrophe in the wrong place in "people's". :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have never lifeted my hand to any of my daughters, but if it ever came to the point they needed a smack i would be the one doing it, not anyone else
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glengavel wrote: »
    Oh god yes, I'd wallop them into the middle of next week. Especially supermarket screamers.

Damn, did I say that out loud?

Ohhhh yes you did, and I totally agree with the thought.
    Just don't get caught when you do it.:D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    no more than i`d smack my grandchildren, it isn`t right and there are other ways to deal with kids.
  • AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"Jump on you're bed. if you don't I'll hit you on the back with this car.."

It sound to me like she has already had a fair bit of smacking if she has the idea it is how you get things done.

I wouldn't smack a child but it would be useful if they didn't know that and thought there was the possibility.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I'd rather smack the parent who gave permission.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nuartey1 wrote: »
    No.

I remember seeing a billboard saying "if hitting is working, why do you have to keep doing it?"

Too right. If you're having to use violence to control child then your parenting skills aren't working.

Didn't you see that other billboard saying ""if talking things through with them is working, why do you have to keep doing it about a million times with no perceptible effect?"
  • Stewie_CStewie_C Posts: 1,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I'm not against smacking - I don't think it works. My kids are growing up to be good members of society without it.
  • ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm often given permission but as i explain to them, you do not need to smack them, in fact all smacking does it show them you are out of control and not worth respecting
  • bananalogbananalog Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine is babysitting for her neighbour. She also has a 3 year old son of her own. She babysits about four times a week, half a day. either nights or mornings.

She been given permission to smack the older girl she babysits for, if she acts up. The girl is five. And a few days ago, we both heard her say to my friend's son. They were up the stairs at the time, playing in his room "Jump on you're bed. if you don't I'll hit you on the back with this car.."

My friend said she would never smack the child. But she wishes she could. I asked why? She said because she feared she would be arrested if she did. even though the mum had given her permission to do so.

I would never hit a child for different reasons. I just find it wrong. My own child, maybe I would.

The poor child has nothing to do. I can see why she acts up. Her mum works, but instead of getting a proper child minder or putting her children in daycare, she pays her neighbour 10 pounds a day. And to be honest my friend is no good with children. she snaps at them constantly, and gives them nothing to do.

At 3 yeah you probably have to smack 'em on the arms when they do something wrong as they are not capable of understanding things yet.

At around 7 yo, you can just look at them fiercely and threaten them, i.e. make 'em FEAR you, and they will behave; no need to smack 'em anymore when they are 7yo or older.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I have never smacked my own children, so would not see the need to smack anyone elses child, I find it all a bit Victorian and authoritarian.

I would also not want someone to say that to me, as obviously they beat their own children and would not want to be blamed for any injuries on the child.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you even want to??
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never smacked my own, certainly would never smack anyone elses.
    When I was training to be a teacher decades ago corporal punishment was allowed. As I went into a classroom to teach a class of 14 year old lads the previous teacher left dragging a boy after him. Ten minutes into the lesson the lad was returned in floods of tears from the beating he had been given. It was a totally vile and demeaning experience. But I expect the teacher felt better for getting something off his chest.:mad:
  • darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was smacked maybe 3 times as a child.....all for times I did something bad or was doing something dangerous.

Smacking (and I mean a slap around a bare leg) should be an exception not a rule in parenting...I knew that if I was bad I could get a slap. And rarely was because of that threat.

Some people would say it's cruel for kids to live in fear, but I wasn't in fear, I knew there was a sanction available that was not nice...and I behaved accordingly. Children need boundaries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor kid. :( I dread to think what she'll be like when she's 15 with this kind of lazy parenting. *shudders*.

And no, ofcourse I wouldn't smack another persons child just because her meff of a mother thinks it's ok.
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left my two year old son with a friend so that I could go to the hairdressers. When I got back my son was in a different pair of trousers and my friend told me it was because he had an 'accident'. I thought no more about it until we got home and my son told me that a lady had hit him and he wet himself. When I asked my friend what really happened she told me she had asked her neighbour to come and keep an eye on her kids and my son while she ran up to the local school to pick her daughter up. Whilst she was away her neighbour hit my son. Astonishingly she said that she had an agreement with her neighbour that if any of her kids were misbehaving then she could smack them. So this neighbour took it a stage further and hit my son without my permission. It took weeks for my son to stop wetting himself and he also developed a fear of strangers and would hide behind sofas etc when anyone came into the house. I took solicitors advice but in the end had to leave it because of the age of my son but the friendship between myself and my neighbour totally evaporated that day. So, no I would not hit another person's child and would not allow anyone to hit mine.