Options

James Corden wins Best actor TONY award??!!

Comments

• Options
    HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Indeed, and big enough to admit it too.

There are plenty of celebs/actors who continuing being idiots because the showbiz culture allows them too...it's a bigger thin to stop...look at yourself...or have someone else tap you on the shoulder and you realise you have become someone who you don;t think is doing the right things.

But how is this relevant to Corden?

He was a cock and he still is a cock.

The fact that he says he used to be one but isn't now is untrue and irrelevant.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He reminds me of Ricky Gervais, same sort of smugness. I did like him in Fat Friends but after that he decided to muscle on everything and began stuffing himself in everywhere trying to become everyone's Fat Friend.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    This comment sums it up for me, someone who has actually seen Corden in the play, and saw how he was received by the American audience.

Unlike the comments from people who think they are theatre critics :rolleyes:
    The 'people who think they are critics' are the paying audience - the ones who will pay his wages and who will ultimately decide whether he is worth seeing or not.

I have no idea what he's like on stage and haven't really liked him in anything else he's been in, but he was great in the role of drummer Clem Cattini in the film Telstar.

Congratulations to him, anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think at this point...as has been asked...could you either tell us your personal experiences with James Corden or articles that state this as it does seem to be a rather personal and pervading view you have of him which seems totally at odds with information that is available to the rest of us.

Is your opinion an 'informed opinion' or just your opinion?

For some one who has no time for Corden you do seem to be spending a lot of time and energy decrying him...one would have thought one post making your polarised view clear would be enough and then go somewhere that would give you more satisfaction.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woah what a great award to get.

Well Done Smithy!
  • Options
    PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    I like the bloke so well done to him. Fully deserved and why shouldn't he win if he was indeed brilliant in the role which many, many people think he was. Just hope he doesn't let it all go to his head.

I like his acting too, Well 'Smithy' :D But I'm afraid he is an arse. He is terrible to work with so, I've been told. Very temperamental and arrogant beyond belief.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    Did he nick your Jelly Babies or your first girlfriend when you were at school together or something?
    I'm beginning to suspect that Hazel is in fact Mathew Horne :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'people who think they are critics' are the paying audience - the ones who will pay his wages and who will ultimately decide whether he is worth seeing or not.

I have no idea what he's like on stage and haven't really liked him in anything else he's been in, but he was great in the role of drummer Clem Cattini in the film Telstar.

Congratulations to him, anyway.

My comment was aimed at the ones who are questioning him winning the award yet have never seen the play - people who have seen him perform deserve to pass judgement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you don't believe people deserve a second chance then? Even though Corden has admitted being 'a cock', we must assume he is lying because you say so?

I must ask, do you know him personally? You seem to know him pretty well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I just watched his acceptance speech, don't you hate it when the winner acknowledges the other nominees? I've always felt it sounds like "Ha! In your face!". And he didn't even thank any of the production's cast & crew.
    Has anyone watched his replacement in the play? Is this a great role in a very well-written play that many decent actors could do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chippychip wrote: »
    I just watched his acceptance speech, don't you hate it when the winner acknowledges the other nominees? I've always felt it sounds like "Ha! In your face!".

No, I didn't see that at all...it came across as being really amazed at being in the company of those actors.
  • Options
    HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    No, I didn't see that at all...it came across as being really amazed at being in the company of those actors.

Blimey. Another one astoundingly taken in by the massively insincere pretence of the smug knob. Can you really not hear the change in the tone of his voice when he is lying furiously in order to appear to be a 'nice bloke'? Amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey. Another one astoundingly taken in by the massively insincere pretence of the smug knob. Can you really not hear the change in the tone of his voice when he is lying furiously in order to appear to be a 'nice bloke'? Amazing.

Once again I ask, do you know him? Have you ever met him? How do you know these things for sure?
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He came across as immensely insincere in that speech.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

You've now been asked basically the same question several times by different posters but have ignored it every single time. Here's another chance:

Do you know James Corden personally?

Until you answer this surprisingly easy question your posts on here will surely be treated with mild amusement/incredulity. Surely if you can divulge some fact/s that would make us hate him with the scary passion you do you wouldn't hesitate to do that?
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's an actor:confused:
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I'm beginning to suspect that Hazel is in fact Mathew Horne :D

I kept thinking that as I was reading.

Congratulations to James Corden, well deserved.
  • Options
    Mr JazzmanMr Jazzman Posts: 2,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He did seem like an incredibly smug person but was never particularly nasty. It's obvious you don't like him but there are many more people more educated than you that recognise his acting ability.

Your comments on this thread have been nasty and uninformed. Look at your own comments before judging the character of other people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    His grammar is crap.
    It's 'us and me' and 'I and we'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one astoundingly taken in by the massively insincere pretence of the smug knob.

Irony.

Seriously you are just another case of a British person jealous of someones success for no reason whatsoever other just to get their mindnumbing and deluded point across. You have yet to give any reason why you have such a disgusting attitude toward a man you have quite blatantly never met. Unless you know him really well how can you know if he is pretending or not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At this point I would consider you to be trolling on this thread...
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Hopefully the yanks really take to him and he stays over there. Worked with Ricky Gervais!... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    Hopefully the yanks really take to him and he stays over there. Worked with Ricky Gervais!... :D

Good for James if he does stay in the States, at least he'll be appreciated there.

Meanwhile us Brits will be stuck with the TOWIE crew, Kerry Katona and Peter Andre :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's an amazing achievement. Well done James!

He was excellent in Doctor Who, and I'm one of the minority who really like him as a presenter and a personality. Haven't seen him acting in anything other than DW or G&S so can't say anything on that... but to win a Tony award is really impressive.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My comment was aimed at the ones who are questioning him winning the award yet have never seen the play - people who have seen him perform deserve to pass judgement.

I think you can extend that even further. Surely the only way you can judge who deserved to win is to see all five performances and then decide who's performance was the best based on what you have seen.

Plus, of course, James Corden doesn't have the same "baggage" in America as he does in the UK so in some respects it is probably easier for him to win an award over there than here in the UK.

As an actor I think he has done some excellent work. Gavin & Stacey was a brilliantly observed comedy but I do find the whole "Smithy" routine for things like Sport Relief more than a little tiresome now.

He has also made a fool of himself more than once at awards ceremonies but if he has grown up then I'm happy that is the case and I certainly see no merit in continually holding someones past indiscretions against them until the day they die.