Options

Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    First--Shop Girl, I've been traveling a lot lately and just got a moment to check out all your locations. THAT IS SUPER COOL, finding every place like you did! Wow! Thanks so much for doing that! I really enjoyed looking at every picture, and seeing the sites of the show.:)

As for the episode:
    I think AJ is a complicated women. She was very kind to DM and endeared herself to him when he was a fragile child, so that 35 years later, when his life is in crisis, when he has to leave London and start anew, he wants to be near her. Yet, we learn from her own mouth that she wasn't that caring or attentive to her dying husband with motor neuron disease. She loved John Slater but gave him up for her nephew to continue coming to her, and for her marriage, a vow she apparently honored--mostly (with a bit of adultery thrown in)--enough to push her true love away.

When he returns she's probably been a widow for some time, with a life of hard work to pay the bills (which we learn also doesn't really pay her bills entirely). She loves her farm, but sleeps in a single bed, and is indeed a lonely woman. A little sex with a man young enough to be her son really livens her up later in the series. She does spend a lot of time alone and is aging. There is a sense of fight and vitality but also a sense of sadness decreasing health with AJ as a character.

When John arrives I think it's understandable that AJ would not welcome him. She doesn't at this point in her life need all the emotions of love, and is no doubt herself wary of being hurt again. Also, John Slater apparently was quite the womanizer, and is rich enough that his sexual exploits were in the papers, so it seems to AJ that John moved on quite well from their love affair. I feel her initial rejection of him made good sense, but then her true feelings were recognized when she was defending him and she was a good enough person to feel compelled to acknowledge them.

Deep down it's sweet that although life went on for both of them, in very different ways, there was still that genuine attraction, perhaps love, still alive inside them, 40 years or so later. We see then that AJ's fears at the beginning are indeed realized, as she winds up rebirthing her love for John and being deeply hurt again, as she was so many years ago when they had to break off their love. Really a tragic episode.

The main aspect of the episode I don't like is what I feel is the artificial way John decides to leave, by making AJ think he is a cad and having her be angry. That was ridiculous and so what happens in TV but not what oftentimes happens in real life. I felt that plot line was very forced.

I think John would have simply spoken to AJ, a good long talk, he's dying, it won't be so long, and he'd like to be alone, and not drag her through that again. It was so nice to see her again and connect but now its time for him to move on. I would have appreciated an honest, open discussion, perhaps one night of sex, and then him leaving in the morning. Of course the way they wrote it they get the lovely hug at the end between DM and AJ, and for most of us, if not all, I think that was very special to see. But, I just thought John's act was contrived. That's just my personal take.

But, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the whole Melanie Gibson bit. That was just a brilliant subplot. I could watch that part of the episode everyday.

Mona, (and to stateside)
    Your explanation of AJs reactions/reasoning make it clearer to me and much more understandable. I still think AJ was a bit harsh in the ep, and didnt really come across as likable to me. Which is sad because I guess the whole reason for the ep was to give greater insight into AJ and make her likeable.

I agree about John's solution being a bit contrived.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And to all, I'm going to ask this again: what hold does Elaine have over the villagers (we obviously see this more in a future episode, but here we see it with Al and the Gaggle of Girls.) :p

You see it all the time in schools. Intelligent guys flock around the girl who will end up a drop out but has some sort of sex appeal that they can't deny. Elaine has "IT" and even the villagers are prepared to endulge her because of it.

Who can understand 400 women wanting to be a notch on the bedpost of that silly little teen Harry from the band One direction?? His conquests aren't all teenagers. Unbelievable to me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    7.I don't like AR in this ep. She seems very harsh and unkind to DM and John. For someone who has been following John's career for many years you would have thought she'd be more receptive to his return??

Thanks for your thoughts. You know, I really, really like Joan - she's a real and robust woman, warts and all. I like her character less as the series goes on because she becomes more the sad old woman: health problems and financially desperate - but maybe I shouldn't object because that's just reality for many/most seniors? I thought there was also more of a family resemblance with Martin - look at their faces when they're devastated when abandoned by John and Louisa. I wonder if as her characterization got more predictable, Stephanie Cole started looking around more for other roles. Too bad Joan and Ruth didn't get a chance to coexist and play off of each other - wouldn't that have been interesting?
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the first time I saw S1, which is probably Fall of 2010, I did not like Elaine--and I have never changed my mind. Being from Delabole, how did she know if there would be a job opening in PW surgery? I don't think DM advertised the job. Didn't Dr. Sims have a receptionist when he unexpectedly died? When I was in high school, we had a few choice words for girls like Elaine---loose, free with the boys, fast number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    From the first time I saw S1, which is probably Fall of 2010, I did not like Elaine--and I have never changed my mind. Being from Delabole, how did she know if there would be a job opening in PW surgery? I don't think DM advertised the job. Didn't Dr. Sims have a receptionist when he unexpectedly died? When I was in high school, we had a few choice words for girls like Elaine---loose, free with the boys, fast number.

I agree with everything you wrote -- including what girls like Elaine were called in high school ;)

I know the explanation is that Lucy Punch got another job and therefore couldn't return -- but I still suspect that the writers knew the character wasn't working
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm trying to remember when is the last time that Martin said a funny line -- like he did with Roger in Series 1. i think it's when he tells Louisa that she shouldn't worry about leaving JH with him, he has a bit of medical training (scarcely a barn buster).

But in Seasons 4 and 5 -- is Martin Ellingham ever deliberately trying to be funny? I loved in Series 2 when in answer to Louisa's declaration that Danny has returned to London, Martin says, "I'm missing him already."

But I think that is the last, flat-out attempt at humor for the next three series. Or am I forgetting some good one-liners?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    But in Seasons 4 and 5 -- is Martin Ellingham ever deliberately trying to be funny? I loved in Series 2 when in answer to Louisa's declaration that Danny has returned to London, Martin says, "I'm missing him already."

But I think that is the last, flat-out attempt at humor for the next three series. Or am I forgetting some good one-liners?

What about S5E2 at the repast at Large Restaurant after AJ's funeral? DM stated LG could always come to London with him, and she replies something to the efffect --Yeh, but there are no small schools there, DM replies --they have small schools there just like here with students every bit as dim as the ones you are used to.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about S5E2 at the repast at Large Restaurant after AJ's funeral? DM stated LG could always come to London with him, and she replies something to the efffect --Yeh, but there are no small schools there, DM replies --they have small schools there just like here with students every bit as dim as the ones you are used to.

And in the floor-licking epsodes at the school :

LG says something about having well-behaved pupils and DM asks ' Where do you keep those ones then ? '
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/02/10-greatest-things-on-amazon-funny-pictures_n_1931561.html?GEP

Perhaps some will be interested in the 1st listed greatest thing on Amazon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What about S5E2 at the repast at Large Restaurant after AJ's funeral? DM stated LG could always come to London with him, and she replies something to the efffect --Yeh, but there are no small schools there, DM replies --they have small schools there just like here with students every bit as dim as the ones you are used to

From Blue-Eyes

LG says something about having well-behaved pupils and DM asks ' Where do you keep those ones then ? '

I don't count either of those one-liners as humorous as they were direct digs at Louisa and her career. When he joked with Roger -- he knew Roger would see the humor. Same with his comment about Danny -- Louisa would understand that he was being sarcastic, but not being mean about her or her work.

I suspect that the lack of non-nasty one-liners in the last three seasons is reflective of the general turn toward a darker, dour doc.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

LOL! One of my favorite lines from S5!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/02/10-greatest-things-on-amazon-funny-pictures_n_1931561.html?GEP

Torchwood to Doc Martin!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, Dr. Sim had a receptionist when he unexpectedly died. It was Elaine. I'm sure she heard when the new Doc arrived in the village and showed up to reclaim her job.

I don't like her either and was happy when she disappeared after S1.
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member

And to all, I'm going to ask this again: what hold does Elaine have over the villagers (we obviously see this more in a future episode, but here we see it with Al and the Gaggle of Girls.) :p

I'm torn between the hair style and the clothes.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, a deliberately funny line was with Mrs. Dingle, when she falls over at Bert's restaurant and DM checks her out. He has her come to the surgery and doesn't give her any cat money. She mumbles something and as he is walking way and he yells back, "I can hear you!". Very funny! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to remember when is the last time that Martin said a funny line -- like he did with Roger in Series 1. i think it's when he tells Louisa that she shouldn't worry about leaving JH with him, he has a bit of medical training (scarcely a barn buster).

S5, Martin to Morwenna: Spores may have entered your body and produced a poison that causes a spasm so violent it can fracture your spine.

When I next rewatch S4 & 5 I'll be sure to watch for more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »

That reminds me of another. When Louisa told Martin a friend dared her to eat a spoonful of soil when they were kids, he responded, "I'm sure that did wonders for your immune system."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    That reminds me of another. When Louisa told Martin a friend dared her to eat a spoonful of soil when they were kids, he responded, "I'm sure that did wonders for your immune system."

My mother used to tell me that when she was growing up kids were told they had to eat a peck of dirt before they died :)

Probably was the same kind of dare !
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    My mother used to tell me that when she was growing up kids were told they had to eat a peck of dirt before they died :)

Probably was the same kind of dare !

I thought this was funny and relates to the dare thing. A guy wrote this on one of the Facebook MC pages:

'Martin. Love to reconnect. Not because your bloody famous but because I love Port Isaac. No seriously. Tim Garforth-Bles and I think we were friends at Barfield. Do get in touch tim.masterpiece@shaw.ca. I remember
    rescuing you from Giles Chater and wearing mashed potato on my glasses for an afternoon thanks to a dare of yours. Remember drinking a zillion glasses of water. Love to reconnect. I live in Canada now Tim'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed reading everything you all had to say about S1 E5, particularly statesidefan, mmDerdekea, NewPark, and cc.cookie.

Mona, I think you covered the Joan/John relationship quite well and explained why she behaved the way she did. And I do so agree with you about love, love, loving the Melanie situation.

In this episode, our grouchy Doc gets himself into a pickle by being nice, by being polite to Melanie. He tells her she's nice. He says the cake she gave him was fine. He seems sincere in appreciating her thanks. And look where it gets him. I almost wonder if this reinforces the idea, for him, that being nice only gets you into messes. Just speculation.

Do you think Doc ate the cake Melanie gave him?

I don't know why, but I had to pause the DVD to read exactly what Melanie's card to DM said (I did the same thing in "On the Edge"). The preprinted cover read, "Thank you". Inside, the preprinted portion said, "It was just great!". Then Melanie wrote:

To Martin
    Lots of love
    Melanie
    (then lots of x's & hearts)

Did any of you notice Martin's startled and shocked look just after Melanie said, "Miss Glasson is a patient. Don't stop you fancying her, do it?" I can't quite figure out if his cute look of surprise is due to Melanie knowing he fancies LG, or the fact that Elaine has put the path lab through on speaker phone and the person on the other end of the line may have heard what Melanie said. Maybe it's a combination.

It was fun to again watch the scene in which Melanie showed up at the French door with Mary. This is one of the scenes that helped us determine that they were definitely using the interior of the real house, not a set, for filming of the Doc's living room in S1. And so nice to see sweet Mary. I remember hearing in an interview that MC said Mary actually misbehaved during the filming of that scene.

As to why DM went to Mark for help in the Melanie situation, I think he truly needed assistance. He was in a tricky spot. Too bad Mark was upset with the Doc and didn't offer help. On the other hand, by going to the police, Martin did put it on record that, should the situation get worse, he was innocent and had expressed a desire to resolve the mess.

Going back to John, Joan, and "Marty". DM certainly was protective of AJ in this episode. I think that could be why John behaved so disagreeably to DM, reminding him of wetting himself, telling him to "bugger off", and telling him it was none of his business. Oh, and continually calling him "Little Marty".

I agree with all of you that the way John concocted a reason to leave Joan didn't sit well. I suppose his motives were honorable, bu what he's done is hurt her yet again, made her think he was voluntarily leaving her, had lied to her, didn't really care. I'm glad Martin told her the whole story in the end. That hug at the cliff was beautiful and showed us that DM indeed does have a soft, caring side. I think it's that side of him that LG's looking for. She knows it's there. She's seen enough glimpses.

I almost forgot about one of my favorite lines in this ep. DM has informed John of what he knows at that point about his condition. He wants to do a more thorough examination, but John keeps saying he's "fine". DM asks John for contact info on his GP so he can "inform him of your fine-ness".

There is a fun conversation in this ep between Bert and Al. Al's on the phone with Elaine. Bert says, "These mobile phones can damage your head membranes if used to excess". Al tells Bert he has blue tooth. Bert, of course, responds, "I'm not surprised. That's exactly my point." And the scene ends with Bert asking Al if he's going to internet "sex change" rooms. Love that scene!

Another reason to dislike Elaine: she's mean to Al. Yes, I know, Al's being quite clingy, but still...

One last question. Why didn't John later change his will and leave his considerable money to Joan? Or at least part of it. It's never mentioned, but I suppose he may have children/heirs. But I do wonder about this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    I thought this was funny and relates to the dare thing. A guy wrote this on one of the Facebook MC pages:

'Martin. Love to reconnect. Not because your bloody famous but because I love Port Isaac. No seriously. Tim Garforth-Bles and I think we were friends at Barfield. Do get in touch tim.masterpiece@shaw.ca. I remember
    rescuing you from Giles Chater and wearing mashed potato on my glasses for an afternoon thanks to a dare of yours. Remember drinking a zillion glasses of water. Love to reconnect. I live in Canada now Tim'

So the real little Marty dared this other kid to wear mashed potatoes on his glasses for an afternoon! MC obviously was a funny fellow even then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Oh, a deliberately funny line was with Mrs. Dingle, when she falls over at Bert's restaurant and DM checks her out. He has her come to the surgery and doesn't give her any cat money. She mumbles something and as he is walking way and he yells back, "I can hear you!". Very funny! :)

As he's walking away. Yes, a funny line delivered in such a great way. LOL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    I'm torn between the hair style and the clothes.

Hah! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »

Frankly, NewPark, I much prefer the DM talking alarm clock with the latest audio technology on the Therapy page of DM online---even though it is a fantasy! On further investigation in searching on Amazon uk - Martin Clunes, I discovered the clock. With this same photo there is a mouse mat, frig magnet, coaster and keyring. It also comes in a choice of another photo, smiling but no teeth showing. But, where are his trademark ears, his hair either cropped DM style or floppy long at other times? There are so many photos out there that are so much better. The picture of DM taken by a fan on the cover page of this online site I find appealing and delightful to look at. There are a few other pix on the Image Gallery which would have been a better choice. I am wondering if there is a legal aspect to one of the many taken by a fan to be used for MC's monetary gain in the way of a souvenir. Nonetheless, this new clock and assorted products with the same picture is in the same catagory as the DM online store offering with items of DM with that fish hanging out of his mouth--poor choice which, in turn perhaps affected sales,

In one of the many catalogs I receive in the mail this time of the year, they offer an Albert Einstein Bobblehead and you press the button and hear AE articulate 4 of his immutable truths, two of which are "Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared" and "The true sign of intelligence is imagination". There needs to be another choice for the Doc Martin Bobblehead articulating some of his favorite lines:
    Unctuous, platitudinising eunich!
    Get out of my way!
    You idiot!
    This would be great on your dashboard after a bad day, or are stuck in traffic in rush hour, or when a road is being repaired and merging lanes is required--very common here in the New York-Metro area.
    And, by the way, where is that DM calendar suggested by one of our forum members awhile ago?--it is a great idea.
    Thank you for allowing me to get this out there.
This discussion has been closed.