Options

25p per DVD sold at Cash Converters

rainbowrichesrainbowriches Posts: 21
Forum Member
A friend of mine sold two whole black bag fulls of DVD's including box sets and he was given £50.00 for them all.
Cash converters told him that they pay 25p per DVD and 75p for box sets, I noticed they sell the DVD's instore for £1 so they are making 75p profit.

This is so low it's wrong but then again they are sold on Amazon for 1p-50p, so at least you haven't the hassle in selling them online.

Comments

• Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How very dare they make a profit. Anyone would think they are a business.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine sold two whole black bag fulls of DVD's including box sets and he was given £50.00 for them all.
    Cash converters told him that they pay 25p per DVD and 75p for box sets, I noticed they sell the DVD's instore for £1 so they are making 75p profit.

Yep, about right.

BTW you're (rainbowriches) user name sends shivers down my spine :(

LOL :D
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey that's good news on their website it says they only give 10p per DVD. I'm gonna go in there with a bunch of DVD's soon. Even if it is just 10p it's more profitable than ebay were most money goes on postage packaging and fees.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member

This is so low it's wrong but then again they are sold on Amazon for 1p-50p, so at least you haven't the hassle in selling them online.

Shocking how Cash Converters held your friend at ransom and forced them into selling their bin-bags of DVDs.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I always sell stuff on Amazon. That way I can control the price.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AThis is so low it's wrong but then again they are sold on Amazon for 1p-50p, so at least you haven't the hassle in selling them online.

Hang on a moment, he's chosen to enter this arrangement, what's wrong about that? If he wanted to make top money he could auction them and put reserve prices on them, have the effort of posting them out to people, he could do a car boot sale - but if he's happy to take £50 I think it's irrelevant what the buyer does with them.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    25p's probably quite generous for the sort of crap a Cash Converters user probably buys.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member

Did you think Cash Converters was a not-for-profit charitable organisation providing compensation for those afflicted with Excessive-DVD-syndrome? :confused:
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So, you are ok with it really then?
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'd be better off using musicMagpie. They usually offer more than 25p a disc for very common titles, and much more for rarer titles. For box sets they can offer ££s for the right stuff. I thought musicMagpie were pretty cheap till I read this thread about Cash Converters. :eek:
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh lawl....place buys stuff for less than it then sells it for to other people shocker....next thing we'll have proof of bears and woodland deification...rule one of selling stuff is to work out what its worth otherwise i'd be buying Maserati's from people for £1 and selling them for £30,0000
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you work out that they are making 75p profit?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why is it wrong? :confused:

Your mate could have sold them himself elsewhere (ie eBay or Gumtree). Obviously he couldn't be bothered.
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed they sell the DVD's instore for £1 so they are making 75p profit.

So they don't also have other overheads, like wages, rent, business taxes?

Wow, how do they manage to avoid paying those and get a clear 75p profit from each DVD?
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    Well they gage me £5 each for my single WWF DVD's and I only paid a tenner new. So I suppose if you want to buy brand new Harry Potter and Matrix DVD's then you suffer due to popularity. Go for the film noir, the electic, the kinky and the little known and you may just get some cash back.
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no secret they give you 25% of what they will sell the item for.

Same percentage as pawn brokers all over the world.

Still, DVDs for a quid can't be bad.

I've noticed a few have closed down in my area.

It's run on the Franchise system I think, the people running it aren't employees, more like shareholders.