Options

Oliver:my kids get teased

Comments

• Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    I blame Paula Yates she started off the daft names thing, and then Jane Goldman and now Jools Oliver have flollowed in her wake. Actually just remembered David Bowie and Marc Bolan called their kids Zowie and Rolan,and Frank Zappa called his child Dweezil so not a recent thing but still:rolleyes:
    Bowie, Zappa and Yates can all blame drugs for their poor choice of babynames, but what is Jamie's excuse? Guess we should be glad he didn't give them food-names... Gwyneth has that covered..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    I always remember listening to a local radio programme where someone phoned in a request for her husband and daughter Sheria. The DJ commented on the unusual name and asked what the origins of it were. The woman said they chose it because their surname was Moore and they liked the Stevie Wonder song "My Sheria Moore". :D

My bfr's sirname is Mann. If we ever have children we will call them Super and Wonderwo. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    Forgot about Beckhams like them but never thought Cruz and Romeo were good names,Brooklyn they just about got away with. Good job she didnt conceive him back in Sawbridgeworth:rolleyes:

Nicole Richie has a daughter called Harlow. That's close enough... ;)

Just looked it up and she's got a Harlow Winter Kate Madden and a Sparrow James Midnight Madden.... *sigh*
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So his son actually is named after a cartoon character? Not even a famous one either? Hell's teeth...

You have to wonder about the maturity of Jamie Oliver. This is a grown man who cried when people in America dared to not follow his orders in a TV show.

I can't stand the intrusive, preachy, phony idiot, personally. He's one of the most annoying people ever.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose*~* wrote: »
    Nicole Richie has a daughter called Harlow. That's close enough... ;)

Just looked it up and she's got a Harlow Winter Kate Madden and a Sparrow James Midnight Madden.... *sigh*

I think Harlow's a lovely name.

Sparrow - not so much.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Didnt Sarah Palin (?) call her son Track because she likes running? (Track?!? :eek: )
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Yeah and I think she called another one "Trig". Pretty sure she also has kids called Bristol and Piper
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    Jim Apple often had problems introducing himself in France
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of girls at my school called "Angel". Very unfortunate as both are very over-weight, with frizzy hair badly in need of a good cut, and glasses .... so they couldn't really look any less angelic if they tried.

Not dissing specs as I wear them, its just the overall look.

Surely as a mother, if you are going to name your child "angel" you at least show a bit of interest in their appearance, or they will get teased. I mean, its setting the bar rather high :)
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine, who is disgustingly intelligent and went to Oxford University at the age of sixteen, informed me that when he has a daughter he wants to name her...

TINKERBELL.

Yes. Tinkerbell.

I kid you not.

I told him that if he does it, I will cheerfully punch him in the face every time I see him, on behalf of the poor child. Imagine a high court judge with the name of Tinkerbell!

Another friend of mine has siblings called Stella Moon and Tom Thumb. She managed to escape with Shayna Louise, luckily for her.

A friend of my mum called her daughter Amy Sunshine. Her full initials were A.S.S. Needless to say, she never forgave her mother fully!
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    There are a couple of girls at my school called "Angel". Very unfortunate as both are very over-weight, with frizzy hair badly in need of a good cut, and glasses .... so they couldn't really look any less angelic if they tried.

Not dissing specs as I wear them, its just the overall look.

Surely as a mother, if you are going to name your child "angel" you at least show a bit of interest in their appearance, or they will get teased. I mean, its setting the bar rather high :)

Do they live up to their name though, behaviourwise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    A friend of mine, who is disgustingly intelligent and went to Oxford University at the age of sixteen, informed me that when he has a daughter he wants to name her...

TINKERBELL.

Yes. Tinkerbell.

I kid you not.

I told him that if he does it, I will cheerfully punch him in the face every time I see him, on behalf of the poor child. Imagine a high court judge with the name of Tinkerbell!

Another friend of mine has siblings called Stella Moon and Tom Thumb. She managed to escape with Shayna Louise, luckily for her.

A friend of my mum called her daughter Amy Sunshine. Her full initials were A.S.S. Needless to say, she never forgave her mother fully!

Oh, God. Those poor children/people. This is actually horrifying!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to wonder about the maturity of Jamie Oliver. This is a grown man who cried when people in America dared to not follow his orders in a TV show.

I can't stand the intrusive, preachy, phony idiot, personally. He's one of the most annoying people ever.

To be fair he might have been taken seriously more if he didn't have a bit of a belly and a second chin himself. Gordon Ramsay is in better shape since he does karate and boxing privately so looks more the part, however screaming "get your bloody fat kids to stop stuffing their holes, yeah, with dirty great handfuls of crap from some factory in Philadelphia, okay, and get their lips around this spinach and ricotta salad, you great big moronic sacks of sh*t!" would have probably got him shot by an American school student. Considering the threats Jamie got anyway I think he got off light. I did laugh at South Park depicting him as constantly crying in the corner going "why won't anyone eat my food? It's so healthy, why won't anyone listen to me?"
  • Options
    DebDynamiteDebDynamite Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    :D Ooooooooooooh nooooooooooo. I am amused that the name 'Micheal' sometimes creeps into the top 100, clearly representing all the people who don't know how to spell Michael. you would think the registrar could have a quiet word?

Micheál (pronounced Me-hall, and often spelled without the accent on the A (like Seán)), is actually the Gaelic version of Michael.
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    My neighbour's kids called Star- unfortunately i dont know the surname :(
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like Jamie, his Italian cookery book is great, I can make super risotto. He raised awareness of the quality of school meals and it is conceded that they have improved as a direct result of his intervention. It is now the norm to call your kids cookie names, who cares, its not a big deal. I don't get all the hate here.:(
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

.......and Amen to that.:yawn::yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I quite like Jamie, his Italian cookery book is great, I can make super risotto. He raised awareness of the quality of school meals and it is conceded that they have improved as a direct result of his intervention. It is now the norm to call your kids cookie names, who cares, its not a big deal. I don't get all the hate here.:(

I think if he'd left it at the school dinners he'd have more fans than bashers but it's really clear that after that, and becoming friends with the Blairs and other A-list celebs he really let his self-importance run away from him and now goes on crusade after crusade, each a bit more insincere and self-serving than the last. He was so embarrassing in that trip to America when he basically cried because he didn't get his own way.

I actually used to think Jamie was lovely when he first started appearing on TV all those years ago but he's become unrecognisable since then in terms of his personality. Shame.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have no hate (or even dislike) for Jamie Oliver at all. My fella used to watch his shows and he is now a Masterchef at home, so I owe Jamie Oliver something in that sense, as I get fed! :D

I do think it's somewhat unkind, not to mention extremely selfish and short sighted, to give your kids moronic names that will mean people won't take them seriously later in life. ''Buddy Bear''? Yes, meet the newly qualified lawyer, named Buddy Bear. :eek: Please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... No it's not. It's cruel.

Also I think you meant kooky because I have yet to meet a child called Double Dip Chocolate Chip or Oatmeal but that's not to say some more sod isn't afflicted with such a name somwhere out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it?:confused:
    Really?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it?:confused:
    Really?:confused:

Ok I surrender, you are clearly the expert on all SB threads and police them rigourously:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    . It is now the norm to call your kids cookie names, who cares, its not a big deal. I don't get all the hate here.:(

It's not the ''norm'' unless you're a huge celebrity who is too detached from reality to know any better, or a moron with no respect for what your kid will be subjected to at school with a ridiculous name. (A general ''you'' - not referring to you personally, of course.)

The highly educated (but completely socially inept) friend I mentioned earlier wants to call his daughter Tinkerbell. Here's your High Court judge, her name is Tinkerbell. Why make things so difficult for a kid? It's incredibly selfish and, frankly, stupid. Anyone who has that little consideration for what their kid would go through, being lumbered with a name like that for life, isn't mature enough to have any in the first place, as far as I'm concerned. Either that or they've never witnessed anyone being bullied for such a reason.

The people I mentioned earlier who were given absurd names hated them, changed them by deed poll as soon as they were old enough to do so, and in several cases it badly affected their relationship with their parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok I surrender, you are clearly the expert on all SB threads and police them rigourously:D

Please read post below.
    Why so rude btw?:confused:
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    It's not the ''norm'' unless you're a huge celebrity who is too detached from reality to know any better, or a moron with no respect for what your kid will be subjected to at school with a ridiculous name. (A general ''you'' - not referring to you personally, of course.)

The highly educated (but completely socially inept) friend I mentioned earlier wants to call his daughter Tinkerbell. Here's your High Court judge, her name is Tinkerbell. Why make things so difficult for a kid? It's incredibly selfish and, frankly, stupid. Anyone who has that little consideration for what their kid would go through, being lumbered with a name like that for life, isn't mature enough to have any in the first place, as far as I'm concerned. Either that or they've never witnessed anyone being bullied for such a reason.

The people I mentioned earlier who were given absurd names hated them, changed them by deed poll as soon as they were old enough to do so, and in several cases it badly affected their relationship with their parents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jees its just a name. My daughter and all her friends have a strange assortment of names for each other both in reality and on FB. Its not as if its set in concrete. Call yerself what you like, no one cares!