Options

Even some people are so dumb...

GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
Forum Member
Australian woman pays £900 for two REAL Apples after trying to buy a pair of iPhones on Gumtree website

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2382599/Woman-pays-900-2-apples-instead-iPhones-Gumtree.html#ixzz2ajgNwbp2

Comments

• Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    An Australian woman who paid £800 for two new Apple iPhones lost her money when she opened the boxes - and found two real green apples inside

The Daily Mail can't even source a picture of green apples to use on the article?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »
    The Daily Mail can't even source a picture of green apples to use on the article?

:o That is a bit dumb.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    Australian woman pays £900 for two REAL Apples after trying to buy a pair of iPhones on Gumtree website

I don't think the seller can be done for fraud, after all, he told her he had two apples for sale, he might have twisted the words, but things like this happen all the time on ebay

I-phone 5...Box

In description, your only paying for the box, no I-Phone 5 included
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fraud is fraud. if you bought this on ebay and got 2 apples there would be hell to pay. She did not look in the boxes as she did not expect to be cheated.I hope the criminal is caught and sentenced.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough for the confusion over buying "two apples", but she did not check the boxes before handing over so much money!!!!!

Her own fault really.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The buyer didn't even check the boxes before handing over the money :eek: "Fools and their money..."
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should have asked her to confirm that she had two Apple iPhones for sale. It's also always a good idea to pick up your item when buying it through an advertisement that's in a shop window. Stupid woman. She must have money to burn being this thoughtless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    £850.00 for the pair ...deal?

I'll knock off £50 as one of them has a bite out of it. :p
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The buyer didn't even check the boxes before handing over the money :eek: "Fools and their money..."

So she did go and pick them up but didn't even ask to make sure everything was there? Hell! She really isn't very bright at all. Then there'd be the difference in weight probably. I hope she's well off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »

That's why I didn't offer the full £900.00 :) but £800.00 sounds ok to me.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it acceptable to scam someone just because they're a bit dim though?

I really hope the scammer gets caught.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Bet the scammer is really chuffed with themselves.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I remember a rash of scams like this on eBay a while back, those consisted of people selling an XBox box. Due to the careful wording of the adverts, the people who were scammed didn't have a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Bet the scammer is really chuffed with themselves.

Yes, there now selling a mouse, in full working order
  • Options
    meatandtwovegmeatandtwoveg Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Only Fools & Apples! ;):D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    I don't think the seller can be done for fraud, after all, he told her he had two apples for sale, he might have twisted the words, but things like this happen all the time on ebay

I-phone 5...Box

In description, your only paying for the box, no I-Phone 5 included
    Caldari wrote: »
    I remember a rash of scams like this on eBay a while back, those consisted of people selling an XBox box. Due to the careful wording of the adverts, the people who were scammed didn't have a leg to stand on.
    In the UK I think it counts as criminal fraud by false representation.
    "knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the UK I think it counts as criminal fraud by false representation.
    "knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss"

I suppose you have to make sure you read the description, as many ebay seller, at the bottom tell you, your only bidding for the box, other wise you going to get conned
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to scam someone just because they're a bit dim though?

I really hope the scammer gets caught.

Of course it's not acceptable. Most people check the goods before handing over money though, I know I do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    I suppose you have to make sure you read the description, as many ebay seller, at the bottom tell you, your only bidding for the box, other wise you going to get conned
    I don't think it matters in the UK. If the intent is to mislead the buyer into thinking they are buying something else then it's fraud regardless of how it is worded. What is important is proving intent to mislead and proving gain or loss caused.
  • Options
    meatandtwovegmeatandtwoveg Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    Of course it's not acceptable. Most people check the goods before handing over money though, I know I do.
    I don't always! :o
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you've not got the hang of pricing for the market thing

that should be £50 more for the unique intervention on what would over-wise be just a plain old green apple
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you've not got the hang of pricing for the market thing

that should be £50 more for the unique hand-crafted intervention on what would over-wise be just a plain old green apple
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't always! :o

That makes 2 of you then :rolleyes: