Options

Samsung s3 mini - V iPhone 4s - which would you get?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,849
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi Im just having trouble deciding which of these phones to get. should I pay the extra €100 for the iPhone or stick with Samsung?

any advice from someone who has these phones would be great :)

Comments

• Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which one do you prefer? What phones have you used in the past? If you've used samsung phones and have enjoyed them then maybe you should go for the S3 mini. Or if you fancy a change then you could get the iphone 4S?

If it were me I'd get the iphone because, I think the Samsung mini phones are a bit of a rip off and misleading. In reality they are not just smaller versions of the S3 or S4, they have the same specs as android phones from 2011.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got a 4S, the ex has an S3 Mini. Both are pretty good phones ... but neither is particularly excellent.

One caveat with the 4S - if it has iOS 7 on it (which is probably likely), steer clear. iOS 7 is a little glitchy on the 4S. With iOS 6, the 4S was a cracking little phone, but not with iOS7.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    clfan wrote: »
    hi Im just having trouble deciding which of these phones to get. should I pay the extra €100 for the iPhone or stick with Samsung?

Most people find the 4S to be a brilliant phone, even with iOS 7, its the 4 that was a problem (4S was first dual core iPhone).

They both support HSPA+ upto 14.4, but the S3 mini has dual band WiFi which the iPhone 4s lacks. Otherwise they're quite similar.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clfan wrote: »

The answer is easy. Get the Moto G. It is way better than either of them cheaper to boot.

4S is unlikely to be updated further and if it is iOS 8 will be an even bigger bag of spanners than 7 on it. The S3 is a very poor for the money, it is not smaller S3.
  • Options
    swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    I understand you can save money but if your willing to buy an 4s for the same money you could get a much better android phone than the s3 mini, which in turn would be far better than the 4s.

Or get a moto G as mentioned and accomplish both.
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a samsung S3 mini (used by my child) and I do not recommend it to anyone. It runs JB and is far less stable than my ace 2 running GB.

It also feels cheap and the screen appears to have scratched very easily..

As another poster said, don't be fooled into thinking it is a mini version of the S3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Most people find the 4S to be a brilliant phone, even with iOS 7, its the 4 that was a problem (4S was first dual core iPhone).

They both support HSPA+ upto 14.4, but the S3 mini has dual band WiFi which the iPhone 4s lacks. Otherwise they're quite similar.

The 4S was brilliant prior to iOS7. With iOS7 its now a clunky mess. But then iOS7 is a clunky inefficient mess.

Second the suggestion of the Moto G - cheaper, faster, better than both of those originally suggested.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one for the Moto G.

Also if you know anybody that works for Tesco you can get 10% off if they buy it for you as a gift. ;) This will take it down to less than £90 for the 8gb version and under £120 for the 16gb version.

Would be crazy to go for any other phone on a tight budget and some are comparing it to phones costing a few hundred pounds.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-8gb-black/454-8906.prd

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-16gb-black/398-8016.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=398-8016
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    yeah the moto G has to be the one to get over the S3 mini
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are now periphery phones, the 4s more so with IOS 7 and low RAM.
    If going iPhone, the 5c is very often found available at £330 for a Grade A, returned model.

For me, the Moto G beats them all.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    jchamier wrote: »

Bit in bold is absolutely inaccurate.

That being said, i would have the 4S without iOS7. Apart from the fact is looks vile, it doesn't run very well on the 4S. It's usable but not great.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the Moto G. This phone renders phones like the S3 Mini and iPhone 4S redundant on account of price v performance criteria. Just got my Kit kat update on my £100 Moto G. The phone is an absolute game changer...

The S3 Mini is a cynical marketing ploy by Samsung - put the (once) iconic S3 in its name and charge way over the odds for what you are getting...

And the price of the 4S is just laughable. Utterly ridiculous...
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't get either. As others have been saying, just get a Moto G. You'll have a phone better than both for less, plus it has already been updated to the latest Android version.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    This might help you decide. :)

iPhone 4S

Released: Oct 2011
    Weight: 140g
    Screen Size: 3.5"
    RAM: 512MB
    Card Slot: No
    Speed: HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.8 Mbps
    Camera: 8 MP
    Video: 1080p
    Secondary: VGA, 480p
    CPU: Dual-core, 1 GHz
    Radio: No
    Battery: Non-Removable
    Standby: 200 h
    Talk time: 14 h (2G), 8 h (3G)

Galaxy S4 Mini

Released: May 2013
    Weight: 107g
    Screen Size: 4.3"
    RAM: 1.5GB
    Card Slot: microSD (up to 64GB)
    Speed: HSDPA, 42 Mbps (LTE model); HSDPA, 21.1 Mbps (3G model); HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps; LTE, Cat3, 50 Mbps UL, 100 Mbps DL
    Secondary: 1.9 MP
    CPU: Dual-core, 1.7 GHz
    Radio: Stereo FM radio with RDS/ SGH-I257M
    Battery: Removable
    Standby: 300 h
    Talk time: 12 h (3G)
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth also pointing out that at time of writing, the Moto G is back in stock at Tesco online!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Worth also pointing out that at time of writing, the Moto G is back in stock at Tesco online!

Yes, both the 8Gb and 16GB been back in stock for over 24 hours. Very unusual and maybe a sign Tesco Direct have received a huge shipment recently. £99 for the 8Gb and £129 for the 16GB. Both locked to Tesco Mobile but both can be easily unlocked via £2 ebay code.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pencil wrote: »
    This might help you decide. :)

iPhone 4S

Released: Oct 2011
    Weight: 140g
    Screen Size: 3.5"
    RAM: 512MB
    Card Slot: No
    Speed: HSDPA, 14.4 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.8 Mbps
    Secondary: VGA, 480p
    CPU: Dual-core, 1 GHz
    Radio: No
    Battery: Non-Removable
    Standby: 200 h
    Talk time: 14 h (2G), 8 h (3G)

Galaxy S4 Mini

Released: May 2013
    Weight: 107g
    Screen Size: 4.3"
    RAM: 1.5GB
    Card Slot: microSD (up to 64GB)
    Speed: HSDPA, 42 Mbps (LTE model); HSDPA, 21.1 Mbps (3G model); HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps; LTE, Cat3, 50 Mbps UL, 100 Mbps DL
    Secondary: 1.9 MP
    CPU: Dual-core, 1.7 GHz
    Radio: Stereo FM radio with RDS/ SGH-I257M
    Battery: Removable
    Standby: 300 h
    Talk time: 12 h (3G)

Doubtful given the fact that the OP was enquiring about the S3 Mini
    :D

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5033&idPhone2=4212
  • Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Just for balance: what on earth is wrong with iOS7 on 4S? Ran as sweet as a nut on mine (I recently upgraded to 5c for DC-HSPDA and 4G on all three UK bands) so I would agree that if you can stretch the extra it is well worth it and more future proof than the 4S or the S3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Night Hawk wrote: »
    Just for balance: what on earth is wrong with iOS7 on 4S? Ran as sweet as a nut on mine (I recently upgraded to 5c for DC-HSPDA and 4G on all three UK bands) so I would agree that if you can stretch the extra it is well worth it and more future proof than the 4S or the S3

Either you didn't use it much or you had a special build.

I think that virtually everyone I know in the office with a 4S is running iOS7 and we've all experienced issues with :
    - lock screen keyboard rotating and not working (requires a reboot)
    - calendar has the most useless design on the planet
    - dialling an event from the calendar now requires a smack of the phone
    - unreliable home button (sometime switches to task view instead, then randomly sort of goes mad)

None of these phones are future proof at all. None of the recent releases of iOS or Android have added anything worthwhile/meaningful.

And I'd also suggest that the SGS3 is likely to keep getting updates for quite a while (via Cyanogenmod), whereas there will likely be a point after iOS 8 (?) on which there won't be any further upgrades for the 5C.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vanilla iOS 7 on iPhone 4S - never experienced any of the issues you mention at all and used every day. Also, my wife, and two daughters all have 4S - no issues.

I was referring to future-proof in terms of paying the extra for the 5c, which supports all 4G modes in Europe as well as DC-HSPDA.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any phone today without the above knowing it won't have access to half the network in two years time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    And I'd also suggest that the SGS3 is likely to keep getting updates for quite a while (via Cyanogenmod), whereas there will likely be a point after iOS 8 (?) on which there won't be any further upgrades for the 5C.

Nonsense, 5c is latest build and will definitely get iOS 8 and probably iOS 9 too. You can check out iOS support levels on Wikipedia, but there's always at least two major updates on every handset.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was referring to future-proof in terms of paying the extra for the 5c, which supports all 4G modes in Europe as well as DC-HSPDA.Personally, I wouldn't buy any phone today without the above knowing it won't have access to half the network in two years time.
    Yeh, right!

Your prior 'iPhone 5c no brainer at Three' never did get a price. It appeared to be the £937 total plan.

Its certainly a new angle on the the term 'No brainer'.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nonsense, 5c is latest build and will definitely get iOS 8 and probably iOS 9 too. You can check out iOS support levels on Wikipedia, but there's always at least two major updates on every handset.

Didn't know that 2 year old internals now means "latest build". :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yeh, right!

Your prior 'iPhone 5c no brainer at Three' never did get a price. It appeared to be the £937 total plan.

Its certainly a new angle on the the term 'No brainer'.

Assuming you can't afford to buy it outright, and you wanted unlimited 4G data included, which plan would you recommend? I couldn't find a better deal anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Didn't know that 2 year old internals now means "latest build". :confused:
    5c doesn't have two year old internals, it has one year old processor and latest LTE radio