Options

Thanking the bus/taxi driver after a journey

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,446
    Forum Member
    Some people have good manners, others don't.

I am learning this from this thread! I didn't even know people wouldn't thank a bus driver/taxi driver (not thanking a taxi driver is beyond rude imo).

Takes literally two seconds to say thank you, come on.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i suppose it is but they should not expect it and i shouldn't have to feel forced to say it, i have a nice car anyway so i don't need to use the bus service

I'm glad you have a nce car, did you thank the person who sold it to you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    I thank everybody, it just comes automatically, I even thank the ATM when it dispenses my money though I could kick myself afterwards.:blush:

Awww. I used to thank the ATM when I was little and would be with one of my parents when they were taking money out; but that's only because I thought someone actually worked inside it to dispense the money and I thought it was so rude that my parents weren't thanking them :blush::blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    I'm glad you have a nice car, did you thank the person who sold it to you?

Of course not - they were "just doing their job"!

(always think you can tell a lot about someone by the way they treat retail staff/waiters/customer service reps etc...)
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never bothered myself.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know people wouldn't thank a bus driver

I think it's something that's done in smaller towns or rural areas. Probably different in big cities due to the much greater numbers of passengers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to walk about more these days, but when I do get a bus or taxi I say thanks. Its like they say, manners cost f--k all. A thank you here, a smile, simple things like that are good, and its not exactly hard to do either, so why not?
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do say thank you, I'd feel pretty rude if I didn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    Only if the bus driver isn't a complete tw*t and miserable
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I always say "thankyou" manners cost nothing.

Evidently they do for some on here!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evidently they do for some on here!

Amen to that! There are some miserable ones on here. Taking a couple seconds of say to thank you, or just one word... Thanks is hardly much to ask.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Amen to that! There are some miserable ones on here. Taking a couple seconds of say to thank you, or just one word... Thanks is hardly much to ask.

I think it stems from birth, their mother taking a look at the sprog and not thanking the midwife for delivering it.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    I thank everybody, it just comes automatically, I even thank the ATM when it dispenses my money though I could kick myself afterwards.:blush:

Oh, I do this. Although now I just kinda nod my thanks to the ATM. Just slightly so no-one notices
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    On the odd occasion when I use the bus, yes I say thank you. I believe it is polite.

To all the DS's who also do, thank you, you are the people whose manners make the days a little more pleasant.

Sweeping generalisation time.

To those that don't, I suspect you are of the younger , me me me, generation who think you are the most important people in the world.

You aren't, by a long shot.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't just to be rebellious, i would say some people thank the drivers just because the person in front did and they are afraid of people thinking they are rude. Taxi drivers, that's a bit different, they usually help you with bags and what not
  • Options
    KittyKreamKittyKream Posts: 4,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    Well, do you? :p

I always do, as it costs nothing and hopefully makes someone's day that little bit better.

Always.

Do it without thinking tbh :)
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I always thank a bus driver and say cheerio and I always thank a taxi driver and say thanks for coming when I exit.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say thank you to bus drivers, taxi drivers, delivery people, the postman if he's delivering a parcel, people who hold the door, and cashiers. It doesn't mean I think they've gone above and beyond their job description, I'm just being polite.

I forgot to add servers/waiters, probably because I rarely eat away from home.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do it really loudly so everyone can see what a nice polite boy I am.
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I still fit into the "younger generation" category that has been typecast above (I'm 24) but I thank the bus driver every time I get off the bus, have done since I can remember. I even thanked the driver the other day when the gears failed and we had to wait in the rain for a replacement bus!

As a point of interest, when I was at Bath uni, 99% of the people getting off the bus to campus said thank you (these would have been mostly 18-21ish year old students). I'm now doing my postgrad in Coventry and I'd say 80% of people say thank you. I don't know whether the difference is due to geography or the difference in target passengers (greater proportion of general public).
  • Options
    SalfordPrincessSalfordPrincess Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    I always say thankyou,as do my kids.Manners cost nothing
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good manners really make a difference, I drive a bus and saw a young man running for the bus so I pulled in at a bus stop and waited what felt like ages for him to catch up, he got on, flashed his pass and without a word sat down, when he got off never said a word. So a couple of days later I'm approaching a bus stop and see same young man trying to cross a busy road to get to the bus stop, did I stop and wait for him? what do you think!, an example of how a lack of manners can can come back and kick you up the arse, that one little word 'thanks', can make a difference. Those on here boasting of their lack of manners will be looked down upon by others even if you're too obtuse to realise it.
  • Options
    ToriamathToriamath Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really use buses or taxis frequently but when I used to catch the bus a lot I would always say thank you. I know I'd appreciate it if I were a bus driver.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes of course I do.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I try to say thank you not just to bus drivers but anyone offering me a service. Even if I do pay towards it. It's called Manners.

Although once I didn't say thank you to a driver but that's because they were extremely late and cost me time at work.