Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    juzzy25juzzy25 Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    iPhone5 flicked over to 4G in Barking yesterday afternoon (which is an irony because I've always struggled for service here)

Speeds haven't matched some DC-HSDPA tests when I first joined 3, all my apps (as you'd expect) load data quicker and seem a lot less laggy and that's what 4G is about for me, so very happy.

As for coverage (having worked on the 3G rollout for O2) I know it'll improve slowly, steadily and surely - after all I could be paying a premium on the other networks, so I'm very grateful for what 3 have given me for nothing.
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »

Send them to Coventry and don't reply to anything they say.

Don't send them to Coventry.......they might have 4G ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Don't send them to Coventry.......they might have 4G ;-)

They'd still say it was rubbish/slow/poor value/you name it! :D
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    They'd still say it was rubbish/slow/poor value/you name it! :D
    Or non-seamless! :D
  • Options
    IkariMIkariM Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    So now that a small number of mainly city centre areas are being enabled by Three with 4G how come we are seeing such slow speeds when compared to 3G? It's not looking good for Three considering they side loaded a 33% price increase on certain tariffs for customers & are now going to add a 2GB tethering cap on the One Plan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    IkariM wrote: »
    So now that a small number of mainly city centre areas are being enabled by Three with 4G how come we are seeing such slow speeds when compared to 3G? It's not looking good for Three considering they side loaded a 33% price increase on certain tariffs for customers & are now going to add a 2GB tethering cap on the One Plan.

Where has this tethering cap come from any proof please?
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No price increase for me.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where has this tethering cap come from any proof please?

From people who have usually given very reliable information on the forum as they know employees or have contacts. No doubt the details will be announced in March, I 100% trust the information as the people that have said it are right time after time and have even shared screenshots and things which would have been from internal information.

It hasn't been publicly announced though, and we'll need to see the detail when it is. It won't apply to existing customers either. All networks swap and change their new customer offers from time to time.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn’t North Korea so you’re free to choose whatever network you think is best for you or is it the other networks are good enough for you.;-)
  • Options
    IkariMIkariM Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    This isn’t North Korea so you’re free to choose whatever network you think is best for you or is it the other networks are good enough for you.;-)

Your reply adds no value to the discussion in hand & is a clear fail at humor.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard about the tethering cap from a number of people, but don't know if it will apply on all tariffs - or if there will be any sort of add-on/higher tariff that will have a higher tether limit.

When I last spoke to someone at Three (not shop staff or customer service!) in a very open discussion a couple of weeks ago (he wasn't going to confirm or deny the tethering cap to me!) he spoke of a range of options on the table to hit the heaviest data users - such as better use of TrafficSense, speed capping or even a daily/weekly limit that still allows a decent allowance, but not in one go.

He also pointed out that Three doesn't really need to worry too much about capacity, so I think a lot of these new tariff changes are simply a move towards trying to make some money.

You'll see a number of new tariffs, including unlimited calls/texts and some other cool things (that will justify the cost in different ways) - some of which have been talked about already. The regular Three-haters will be quick to call all of this a price hike (I don't know if the One Plan changes though) but it's business. EVERY operator has promotions and tariff changes/revisions, and Three shouldn't be any different.

The One Plan at £15 was probably too successful (I've said before, for many users, it's probably too cheap), and unlimited data with tethering may well have hit or destroyed their mobile broadband sales. After all, any phone can be a MiFi or connect via USB like a dongle. Personally, things like this are probably just as much the reason for a cap than capacity (one is a clear and real problem today, the other is a potential problem in the future).

Anyway, I suspect they're going to start with a simple monthly cap, being confident they can now detect tethering reliably, but I have no idea what tariffs it will apply to. But we know it won't be for anyone who has a contract today or before March.
  • Options
    Night HawkNight Hawk Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    What I like about Three compared to other networks I have been on is that they won't increase my price or reduce my terms during my contract. They are free to change the offering for new customers and people can then choose whether to sign up. Seems perfectly fair to me (unlike what some networks have been doing)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only issue will be what happens at the end of the contract.

The One Plan is £25. It had a £10 promotional discount applied, which is now only £5. Come my renewal (September), Three could up it to £25 or whatever it costs then - as I'm not technically in contract anymore. As I'm free to leave at any time, they can presumably state an intention to change my terms & conditions too - so could the tethering cap then come into play too?

I guess it's a case of wait and see.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your reply adds no value to the discussion in hand & is a clear fail at humor.:D

Sorry I just thought this was the thread to be in for a wind-up.:D
  • Options
    DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Dear 3 activations centre

Please can I not be the last person to be activated for 4G

Thanks

Darren
  • Options
    DarreninessexDarreninessex Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Ok I have 4G on my iPAD air and if I am in a 4G area and doing a FaceTime call and then whilst in the process of call I move into a non 4G area......will the FaceTime drop or will it handle the switch from 4G to 3G
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear 3 activations centre

Please can I not be the last person to be activated for 4G

Thanks

Darren

Dear Darren,

I understand that you do wish to be the last user activated for the 4G service. This will be done for you.

Best wishes,
    Three Support India.
  • Options
    JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlecR wrote: »
    Dear Darren,

I understand that you do wish to be the last user activated for the 4G service. This will be done for you.

Best wishes,
    Three Support India.

Ha ha, to be fair, had a great chap from Three India Support yesterday. He spent ages telling me how good my Experia SP was (think he was excited to find a fellow owner) then sorted my problem out, then went back to how brill the SP was :)
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we not sure that this tethering cap is 2GB per day? 2GB a month seems rather low. As Jon says above I doubt Three have capacity issues.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Are we not sure that this tethering cap is 2GB per day? 2GB a month seems rather low. As Jon says above I doubt Three have capacity issues.

As you say 2GB per day makes sense as a limit to manage network capacity.

2GB per month sounds more like an attempt to make mobile broadband packages seem like a better choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the mobile broadband tariffs may well be getting increased anyway.

Let's say Three offered a 20, 40 or 50GB plan. That would offer a reasonable alternative to fixed line broadband for most, but earn Three some decent revenue for providing such levels of data (and revenue that would be usable to build the network as it gets busier).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    But at least spelling isn't a problem for him...

Just joined Three and they don't seem to be any better, or worse in terms of service. I joined Three because they are value for money in terms of data. I have zero interest in 5000+ minutes and 5000 texts or whatever.

My wife is on O2 4G and gets 24Mb I get 13Mb on Three, is there a huge difference in real terms? Not really. However, 4G coming at no extra cost? Great, but I can wait a bit.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's say Three offered a 20, 40 or 50GB plan. That would offer a reasonable alternative to fixed line broadband for most, but earn Three some decent revenue for providing such levels of data (and revenue that would be usable to build the network as it gets busier).

I would love if Three offered a plan like that I'm going soon be visiting the continent a lot would be good have a solid amount of data to use while I was there. Obviously I would like if Feel at Home was expanded more though as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member

They have increased their tariffs! Now offering 250GB sim only for £5.

...or 250MB? Hmm...

http://imgur.com/mn7TqZe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Come March, will Three have have more 4G transmitters active? Or are we going to be left with just the few? Think someone told me there's 5 active in Bristol - which the coverage map seems to show.

I live around 2 miles from the nearest 4G mast :(
This discussion has been closed.