Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 2)

Comments

• kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two women who were in the bank the other day pushing a door that clearly said PULL in massive letters. I had to intervene in the end as it was painful to watch. Just stop for a minute and read the sign!
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    More tales from rural suburbia....

I live in a sort of "close" made up of a circle of houses which back onto a small playing field and kids playground in the middle.
    Some of the houses have garages and some of them have dedicated parking areas instead.

A couple of years ago I noticed that a few people were starting to drive their cars up the kerb, across the pavement, around the footpath bordering the playing field and parking them at the rear of their houses.
    To be fair, I think it started from necessity.
    People who didn't have garages did it so they could get their car close to their house and hook it up to a battery charger.
    Trouble is, of course, that people get lazy and it just happened more and more until the footpath behind the houses was dotted with cars and you couldn't actually walk on it.

And then, as a final straw, somebody had an extension built and had delivery lorries and skip lorries doing the same thing and they tore up the path, cracked the pavements, damaged the kerbs and carved up the playing field.

So, having repaired the field, footpath, pavement and kerbs, the council decided to put up bollards on the footpath to stop vehicle access to the rear of the houses.

Thing is, it looks like some people, with small cars, have realised that if they drive across the corner of a garden they can squeeze past the bollards and they're still parking their cars on this footpath.

It's the arrogance of it that amazes me most.
    When there's bollards in the footpath (and "no vehicles" signs) it's a hint and a half for your ass that you're not supposed to do it so how on Earth do these people reach the conclusion that just cos they can physically squeeze their car past the bollards it's okay for them to park there? :confused:
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I seem to have a forum stalker. : rolleyes :

Not so much annoyed, but wondering why.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being part of a car forum asking for help with something. With a guy-like username I would get no or few replies.

But as soon as I make a username which portrayed me as a woman I would get loads of guys bending over backwards to help me.

Funny that!
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not turning up for your hair/beauty appointment. It takes a few mins to pick up the phone and avoid us waiting/losing money for an hr or two. Do it enough we bar you.
    Forum Member
    FaithyH wrote: »
    Not turning up for your hair/beauty appointment. It takes a few mins to pick up the phone and avoid us waiting/losing money for an hr or two. Do it enough we bar you.

That's only courtesy. Like with any other appointment, dental, doctor etc.
    Forum Member
    Being part of a car forum asking for help with something. With a guy-like username I would get no or few replies.

But as soon as I make a username which portrayed me as a woman I would get loads of guys bending over backwards to help me.

Funny that!

It's a stereotype that women are useless at fixing cars. Not true in many cases. Just like men can't multi task.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    At tescos when youve done the self scan thing you go into the area with the computers where you scan to say youve done and pay. They do random checks so each computer screen has an area next to it thats the exact size and shape to push your trolley into, so while you are paying or waiting for a check, you push your trolley in and it means people can get past you.

But at our local one theres 6 screens with an average of about 2 trolley spaces being used. Meaning if screen 1 is free you have to squeeze past 4 trolleys to get to it! Why cant people just spend an extra 5 secs putting their trolley in the space rather than abandoning it in the middle of the payment area?
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joggers

I really don't think there's many people quite as sad as those who find fun and enjoyment in getting up at some ridiculously stupid hour of the morning and going out in all weather dressed like it's the middle of Summer and running round in the wind and rain like a mad eejit because they have this belief that it's somehow good for you.

Really? Because every jogger I've seen looks like they've just been dragged off a life support machine. They certainly don't look healthy and quite honestly I find it enormously sad that these people take such enjoyment from it. They really are one step away from a train spotter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramblers who go walking down main roads or over a few piddley little farmers fields yet feel compelled to dress like their going up mount Everest.

They go out for a 10 mile walk rigged with walking poles, backpacks, drinks bottles and wearing their designer windproof North Ridge jacket and fleece with insulated gloves and hiking boots complete with windproof pants tucked into long thermal socks and a wooly hat with obligatory bobble on the top and all they're doing is walking down the A54 towards Buxton.

What are they expecting? 50 foot snow drifts. To find themselves suddenly transported and stuck up a mountain?
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Joggers

I really don't think there's many people quite as sad as those who find fun and enjoyment in getting up at some ridiculously stupid hour of the morning and going out in all weather dressed like it's the middle of Summer and running round in the wind and rain like a mad eejit because they have this belief that it's somehow good for you.

Really? Because every jogger I've seen looks like they've just been dragged off a life support machine. They certainly don't look healthy and quite honestly I find it enormously sad that these people take such enjoyment from it. They really are one step away from a train spotter.

I agree. I really don't see the point of all the exertion when their body looks pale and frail in the first place. :o
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Crying women on the TV (Don't tell the Bride is a good example) , who flap/fan their french manicured hands delicately around their face and attempt to wipe tears from their eyes with one finger without smudging their mascara. GRAB A TISSUE FFS and wipe your eyes properly!! :o
    Forum Member
    My parents watching tv when we visit.

I live close enough that if i have a free day at the weekend i can pop round, but far enough away that i always ring first to check if they are in. Mum always says yes and encourages us round. When we get there they sometimes have formula 1, moto gp or football on. We have no interest in it but they insist on keeping it on and watching it. So we basically visit and sit in silence for a few hours then go home!

I wouldnt be at all offended if they told us it was on and then we would give the visit a miss and go round when it wasnt on tv.

I dont expect them to miss it for the sake of us visiting, but you cant talk to dad when hes watching tv because he tunes everything else out. You can half talk to mum but shes too busy shouting at the tv that you have to repeat everything at least three times. Id much rather them say they are busy for the afternoon.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Packaging, so irritating when the actual product is half the size, or less than half the size than the packaging it came in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    Crying women on the TV (Don't tell the Bride is a good example) , who flap/fan their french manicured hands delicately around their face and attempt to wipe tears from their eyes with one finger without smudging their mascara. GRAB A TISSUE FFS and wipe your eyes properly!! :o

I know what you mean. What are they tying to do, waft the tears back into their face or something?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrink wrapping on pizzas where you end up dragging half the topping off the pizza just trying to get the ruddy stuff off.

Even when I'm being careful and try to use scissors I still manage to get cheese and bits of topping all over the worktops.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member
    People who propose marriage on TV, just yuck!

This is a bit petty but I saw it today & it reminded me how much I dislike it.........Women who have 3 short nails & 2 really long ones.
  • FlufanFlufan Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    The two women who were in the bank the other day pushing a door that clearly said PULL in massive letters. I had to intervene in the end as it was painful to watch. Just stop for a minute and read the sign!

I'm inexorably reminded of this classic.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ear hair - ug. :(
  • ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramblers who go walking down main roads or over a few piddley little farmers fields yet feel compelled to dress like their going up mount Everest.

They go out for a 10 mile walk rigged with walking poles, backpacks, drinks bottles and wearing their designer windproof North Ridge jacket and fleece with insulated gloves and hiking boots complete with windproof pants tucked into long thermal socks and a wooly hat with obligatory bobble on the top and all they're doing is walking down the A54 towards Buxton.

What are they expecting? 50 foot snow drifts. To find themselves suddenly transported and stuck up a mountain?

Likewise, you get lots of people walking to work dressed like this too. As if they're going on a week-long Arctic expedition when they're really walking 20 minutes through a city centre. I walk to work and other colleagues express complete shock and amazement that I wear flip flops all summer, whilst prattling on about how they have to wear proper walking boots and could never wear something so flimsy. I wonder how long it takes them to get ready to go out for a quick walk to the shops :confused:

I find it ironic that it's mostly people who haven't grown up in the countryside that tend to feel the need to prepare as if they're going in to the unknown. Country bumpkins (that's me, though I currently live in a city) tend to put their wellies on only when setting out to actually walk through extreme knee-deep mud and torrential rain. Not when walking down a tarmac pavement in a slight shower to arrive at a heated office.

I always roll my eyes at everyone in their Hunter wellies, bodywarmers, and leggings round here. We live in a city centre which is 90% concrete. Pretty sure they're not about to jump on their horse once they've battled through the elements to House of Fraser. Some of them dress like this even when driving from their housing estate to a shopping mall :confused:
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flufan wrote: »
    I'm inexorably reminded of this classic.

Got it in one :D

Another is when I went to buy a pair of scissors but I needed a pair to open the packet/take the cable ties off :(
    Forum Member
    Half assed adverts in magazines. I was flicking through a magazine when there was a full page ad to raise awareness of lungworm. I read it and was annoyed by it. It explained the symptoms to look out for, how its caused etc but no mention of the treatment! Instead it just said something like "to find out more about the preventative treatment visit www....."

Surely there was room to at least mention the major brand involved with the treatment? It seems silly to leave out the most vital bit of information!
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    My parents watching tv when we visit.

I live close enough that if i have a free day at the weekend i can pop round, but far enough away that i always ring first to check if they are in. Mum always says yes and encourages us round. When we get there they sometimes have formula 1, moto gp or football on. We have no interest in it but they insist on keeping it on and watching it. So we basically visit and sit in silence for a few hours then go home!

I wouldnt be at all offended if they told us it was on and then we would give the visit a miss and go round when it wasnt on tv.

I dont expect them to miss it for the sake of us visiting, but you cant talk to dad when hes watching tv because he tunes everything else out. You can half talk to mum but shes too busy shouting at the tv that you have to repeat everything at least three times. Id much rather them say they are busy for the afternoon.

Are you Fry from Futurama?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrink wrapping on pizzas where you end up dragging half the topping off the pizza just trying to get the ruddy stuff off.

Even when I'm being careful and try to use scissors I still manage to get cheese and bits of topping all over the worktops.

THIS!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ratty0 wrote: »
    Likewise, you get lots of people walking to work dressed like this too. As if they're going on a week-long Arctic expedition when they're really walking 20 minutes through a city centre. I walk to work and other colleagues express complete shock and amazement that I wear flip flops all summer, whilst prattling on about how they have to wear proper walking boots and could never wear something so flimsy. I wonder how long it takes them to get ready to go out for a quick walk to the shops :confused:

I find it ironic that it's mostly people who haven't grown up in the countryside that tend to feel the need to prepare as if they're going in to the unknown. Country bumpkins (that's me, though I currently live in a city) tend to put their wellies on only when setting out to actually walk through extreme knee-deep mud and torrential rain. Not when walking down a tarmac pavement in a slight shower to arrive at a heated office.

I always roll my eyes at everyone in their Hunter wellies, bodywarmers, and leggings round here. We live in a city centre which is 90% concrete. Pretty sure they're not about to jump on their horse once they've battled through the elements to House of Fraser. Some of them dress like this even when driving from their housing estate to a shopping mall :confused:

Yes it's laughable all the people who wear jodphurs and riding boots whilst walking round Safeway and people who insist on owning an off road vehicle like a Toyota Rav4 or a Range Rover just for taking their kids to school. Were they expecting a flood on the way to the school or is it for those unexpected times when they might have to take a short cut across the fields on the way to the shops?
This discussion has been closed.