Sunday night 90's dread

124»

Comments

• Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    There was Little & Large too, wasn't there? not sure when they were on TV though, that was when I was really young.

I'm sure Little & Large were on Saturday nights. Sunday nights was Live From Her Majesty's/Live From The Palladium, Heart To Heart, Magnum PI, i remember Murder Mystery Suspense., Tales Of The Unexpected.

BBC Sundays was The Two Ronnies, Only Fools & Horses when it went to 50 minutes, Lovejoy, That's Life, i'm sure That's Life was on Sundays then moved to Saturdays..
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about The Krankies?! :eek: ETA no, I don't think they were on a Sunday?.
    I'm sure Little & Large were on Saturday nights. Sunday nights was Live From Her Majesty's/Live From The Palladium, Heart To Heart, Magnum PI, i remember Murder Mystery Suspense., Tales Of The Unexpected.

BBC Sundays was The Two Ronnies, Only Fools & Horses when it went to 50 minutes, Lovejoy, That's Life, i'm sure That's Life was on Sundays then moved to Saturdays..

I remember Lovejoy! the actor (Paul Shane?) went on to do that wild west show on Sky1. I can remember double acts and shows from the mid 80s-90s but a lot of them I can't remember exactly when they were on, just at the weekend sometime.
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Supersonic!

Only relate to that being on Saturdays myself. I bet that has dated horribly. Syd wasn't even that funny at their peak was he? Seemed a nice guy though.

Syd was meant to be the straight one whilst Eddie the funny one, remember Cannon & Ball?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syd was meant to be the straight one whilst Eddie the funny one, remember Cannon & Ball?

I'd rather forget that unwatchable pair. Give me Syd & Eddie anytime. Surely even the straight man is meant to have some amusing features!

Hale & Pace was another Sunday night on ITV early 90's show. They disappeared from TV exposure very suddenly later in the 90's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather forget that unwatchable pair. Give me Syd & Eddie anytime. Surely even the straight man is meant to have some amusing features!

Hale & Pace was another Sunday night on ITV early 90's show. They disappeared from TV exposure very suddenly later in the 90's.

They were in the Extras Christmas special.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member
    Was the same for me, & i'll add Hale & Pace when the end credits came on.

Oh yes, Hale & Pace! I used to watch their show on a Sunday night after London's Burning.

Was You Bet! on a Sunday or a Saturday about 8pm?
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    What about The Krankies?! :eek: ETA no, I don't think they were on a Sunday?.

I remember Lovejoy! the actor (Paul Shane?) went on to do that wild west show on Sky1. I can remember double acts and shows from the mid 80s-90s but a lot of them I can't remember exactly when they were on, just at the weekend sometime.

Lovejoy was played by Ian McShane, Paul Shane played Ted Bovis in Hi-Di-Hi.

Hale & Pace show finished when they went to the BBC.

You Bet was on about 6-7pm Saturdays,
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Supersonic!

Only relate to that being on Saturdays myself. I bet that has dated horribly. Syd wasn't even that funny at their peak was he? Seemed a nice guy though.

They fell out with each other big time and apparently hadn't spoken for years until they both went to the funeral of fellow comedian Norman Collier
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Who Do You Do.

Followed by one of

The New Avengers.
    Return Of The Saint.
    The Professionals

Whilst on BBC, was the all action, hard hitting Shoestring, followed by That's Life, complete with a happy story of someone who died drinking bleach after receiving a big bill, followed by a carrot that was shaped like a penis.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... Paul Shane played Ted Bovis in Hi-Di-Hi.
    Gives me an excuse for this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJvGdOC6D1Y
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D:D That was the first thing I thought of when I saw his name.

The entire thing is hilarious. Lol at the backing singers too
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member

:o I've never seen that before, it's hilarious! :D he's taking himself so seriously he thinks he's good, and the bloke in the high waisted trousers thinks he is a dude too :D
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    They fell out with each other big time and apparently hadn't spoken for years until they both went to the funeral of fellow comedian Norman Collier

He probably didn't say much then either, if his mike kept cutting out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovejoy was played by Ian McShane, Paul Shane played Ted Bovis in Hi-Di-Hi.

Hale & Pace show finished when they went to the BBC.

You Bet was on about 6-7pm Saturdays,

Lol oops - oh well, I got the surname right at least. Hi-De-Hi campers *plays the xylophone* :D
  • Barry_SimBarry_Sim Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    This Thread has made me smile greatly!!

I still, even now, get the Sunday Dread and it has got even worse considering there is NOTHING worth watching on TV these days.

I miss the buzz I used to get on Saturdays from waking up with the Saturday Morning TV, Gazetta Italia/Football Focus and then Gladiators/You/Bet/Blind Date/Noels House Party at Night........

Sunday was London's Burning Night, simple as, the minute they ruined it with series 11 it was curtains and Sunday nights just have never been the same since.

Those were the days when although BBC/ITV Competed as much as they do now, they knew people would change between the programmes they wanted to see, none of this petty putting shows up against each other, back then they cared about the viewers and what they thought. You made your appointment to watch the shows you wanted, BBC and ITV/LWT made a real effort and you just do not get that anymore.

What I find interesting, London's Burning ended 12 years ago, still gets talked about fondly, the same with The Bill, Noels House Party, Gladiators, You Bet, Blind Date to name just a few. Tell me this, will the modern offerings we get be talked about like this? I doubt it and that is why I personally think some are ripe for regeneration as for me taking back some of these shows will get viewers for the name alone however we all know unless it features z list celebs or the latest flavor of the month there is no interest.........
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry_Sim wrote: »
    This Thread has made me smile greatly!!

I still, even now, get the Sunday Dread and it has got even worse considering there is NOTHING worth watching on TV these days.

I miss the buzz I used to get on Saturdays from waking up with the Saturday Morning TV, Gazetta Italia/Football Focus and then Gladiators/You/Bet/Blind Date/Noels House Party at Night........

Sunday was London's Burning Night, simple as, the minute they ruined it with series 11 it was curtains and Sunday nights just have never been the same since.

Those were the days when although BBC/ITV Competed as much as they do now, they knew people would change between the programmes they wanted to see, none of this petty putting shows up against each other, back then they cared about the viewers and what they thought. You made your appointment to watch the shows you wanted, BBC and ITV/LWT made a real effort and you just do not get that anymore.

What I find interesting, London's Burning ended 12 years ago, still gets talked about fondly, the same with The Bill, Noels House Party, Gladiators, You Bet, Blind Date to name just a few. Tell me this, will the modern offerings we get be talked about like this? I doubt it and that is why I personally think some are ripe for regeneration as for me taking back some of these shows will get viewers for the name alone however we all know unless it features z list celebs or the latest flavor of the month there is no interest.........
    Well said.

I'd also add the irritating manner in which shows on both sides, long stale tedium like X Factor & Strictly Come Dancing to name just two, which are shown on Saturday nights end up coming back for a second bite in the middle of Sunday evening too, just to draw out a long winded, padded out results shows. It's diabolical behaviour, and smacks of desperation to keep viewers by literally any means going and proves the lack of imagination and ability to really engage viewers. Also I notice that later Sunday evenings are increasingly being used to shunt repeats of programmes that have already been shown first during the week, such as Birds Of A Feather recently.
  • StaffsyeomanStaffsyeoman Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    Think yourselves lucky.When I was growing up I had to endure Sing Something Simple on the radio every Sunday at 6pm.It was as depressing as it gets believe me.

Yep, it was the challenge of my week to get out of the bath - listening to the Top 40 - in time to hit the 'off' button before Sing Something Simple started... Felt I'd failed if they actually started "Siiiing...." before I got to it..

Otherwise Sunday feeling set in when The Onedin Line, The Brothers, Poldark... etc. etc. started..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scotch wrote: »
    :D:D That was the first thing I thought of when I saw his name.

The entire thing is hilarious. Lol at the backing singers too
    :o I've never seen that before, it's hilarious! :D he's taking himself so seriously he thinks he's good, and the bloke in the high waisted trousers thinks he is a dude too :D
    Always makes me laugh too. :D

The leather trousers don't leave an enormous amount to the imagination. :o
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes I remember at one stage Little & Large were on early evening on Saturdays. I only remember The Two Ronnies being on a Saturday primetime 8 ish. That's Life was originally on Saturday night then moved to Sundays...and that's when it was part of my dread as the theme tune still reminds me of yet- to- finish (or too hard to do !) homework for the next morning back at school.
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Worzel Gummidge... not only reminds me of Sunday afternoons but scared me when the crows started crowing at the top of the show with the picture of the field with WG hanging off his post

Going back further... The boy who won the pools. Malcolm Maclaren?!

Oh forgot.... "And now from Norwich......." Any guesses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's Life moved from Sundays to Saturdays in 1992. It finished in 1994 (on a Sunday at 7.30pm).
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's Life moved from Sundays to Saturdays in 1992. It finished in 1994 (on a Sunday at 7.30pm).

That's right it moved back to where it started originally.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were the likes of Thunderbirds/Stingray/Captain Scarlet shown on BBC 2 on a Sunday??

I think (correct me) but I am sure Sky One did repeat Captain Scarlet about '98-99 (again I can't be sure hopefully someone can correct me)

Also I remember Sundays on Sci-Fi Channel (now SyFy) use to run the series of Mystery Science Theater 3000 (it was a great laugh to bring a close to the weekend)
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mind school!-so can't join in here
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Midsblue wrote: »
    Worzel Gummidge... not only reminds me of Sunday afternoons but scared me when the crows started crowing at the top of the show with the picture of the field with WG hanging off his post

Going back further... The boy who won the pools. Malcolm Maclaren?!

Oh forgot.... "And now from Norwich......." Any guesses?

Easy. Sale Of The Century.