Did you know that smoking increases risk of infertility?

Comments

• Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's another article
    Its from 2011, that's quite recent
    It's entitled "5 Most Surprising Reasons to Quit Smoking"
    http://www.caring.com/articles/5-surprising-reasons-to-quit-smoking

One of the "surprising" reasons listed is that its causes fertility and erectile problems.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    I don't see a statistic on how many people didn't know that on the page though. Not really an argument that the majority don't know.

It also says reason #4: Smoking increases wrinkles.. Are you also saying the majority of people don't know that too?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It also says reason #4: Smoking increases wrinkles.. Are you also saying the majority of people don't know that too?

That's less surprising to me than smoking causing erectile and male fertility problems.

Here's another site which lists "surprising ways smoking affects your looks and life". It's medically reviewed.

Again it lists "erectile dysfunction"
    http://www.webmd.boots.com/smoking-cessation/ss/slideshow-ways-smoking-affects-looks

Clearly I'm not the only who doesn't consider it "common knowledge" that smoking causes fertility and erectile problems.

I haven't seen any proof that it is "common knowledge". I've shown articles from medical journals and medically reviewed information.
    Your whole argument was that of the people who responded to this forum nobody outright said that they didn't know this.
    Forum Member
    Show me a statistic like the one you found from 1999 that says "In a survey of X amount of people, X% of people did not know smoking is a cause of infertility."

You have just given examples in two articles where one person, the author, was "surprised" to hear. Nothing the reflects the general view of the public.

I never said that everybody knew, I would think with the things being taught in schools that most will have been told, advertisements of television, information on cigarette packaging.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quite funny this, because the people always being slated for 'constantly reproducing, having too many children' etc are the ones who apparently 'spend all their benefit money on **** and booze'. If this was the case, surely all these people wouldn't have any children as they'd be infertile from their lifestyle.

The thing is, the vast majority of people who suffer with issues like infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth etc are NOT smokers and are actually people who live healthy, normal lifestyles.

Of course, smoking isn't good for you but there is so much fertility and pregnancy scaremongering these days I seriously think it does more harm than good. I know someone who overdosed on MDMA resulting in being unconscious and admitted to hospital about 5 months into their pregnancy and their child is now 6 and fine. I know several people (I move in these circles as a working/underclass person :D) who smoked cigarettes, cannabis and drank alcohol aswell as living on a low income and their babies were fine, full term and healthy. I know someone who was well off, good income, didn't smoke etc, healthy lifestyle who had a stillbirth (she was in late 30's though so maybe advanced maternal age risk factor?)

I'm not saying any of this thing is recommended or good for anyone's health but the scaremongering particularly on sites like Mumsnet (where ironically posters will defend to the death their right to drink alcohol during pregnancy on a regular basis but will flame anyone who smokes) is just that imo scaremongering, years ago women used to smoke and drink in pregnancy all the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is horrible that pregnant women continue to smoke. How do we know that people get more help to stop smoking than infertile people do to come to terms with being infertile?

Its horrible is it? Do you have any idea the type of lives some pregnant women live? The fact that not every pregnancy is a happy and exciting thing for the woman? It is a time of stress and worry even for those without other problems in their lives. Constant stress, the fear and reality of abuse 1000s of women face everyday, poverty, everyone in their social circle not only smokes but also consume other substances regularly, no support network etc I could go on and on. For many having a smoke is the only thing that keeps them sane. Yes it would be better not to smoke but I cannot stand women like you who sit there in judgement of women who are possibly living under worse circumstances than you could imagine.

The same ignorant, stigmatizing judgemental comments do not get aimed at fat women (vastly more risky to pregnancy than smoking, by the way), women over 35 (again more risky, a non smoker otherwise healthy over 35 is considered a high risk pregnancy by HCP, a young otherwise healthy smoker is not, make of that what you will), women who continue flying long haul during pregnancy, women who continue practising extreme sports whilst pregnant (my mother did this) or any other risky but SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE activity that can be taken part in.

Pregnant smokers get it in the neck because of the stigma there is against smoking these days, same would happen to someone who smoked a bit of cannabis during pregnancy because its illegal yet you can bet your bottom dollar GP prescribed anti depressants which are given to pregnant women on a regular basis are much more risky to the babies health (with a known and explained risk of birth defects, yet are still considered safe and are given to women as its seen their mental state is more important than the minute risk something might happen to the baby as a result)

Being pregnant doesn't 'change everything'. It doesn't change who you are, it doesn't change your current life circumstances. Not everyone who gets pregnant is thrilled or wants to be. Again I will say it finally that being older and/or very overweight is more risky to a pregnancy than smoking if you are otherwise healthy.
    Forum Member
    CJM91 wrote: »
    Its horrible is it? Do you have any idea the type of lives some pregnant women live? The fact that not every pregnancy is a happy and exciting thing for the woman? It is a time of stress and worry even for those without other problems in their lives. Constant stress, the fear and reality of abuse 1000s of women face everyday, poverty, everyone in their social circle not only smokes but also consume other substances regularly, no support network etc I could go on and on. For many having a smoke is the only thing that keeps them sane. Yes it would be better not to smoke but I cannot stand women like you who sit there in judgement of women who are likely living under worse circumstances than you could imagine.

The same ignorant, stigmatizing judgemental comments do not get aimed at fat women (vastly more risky to pregnancy than smoking, by the way), women over 35 (again more risky, a non smoker otherwise healthy over 35 is considered a high risk pregnancy by HCP, a young otherwise healthy smoker is not, make of that what you will), women who continue flying long haul during pregnancy, women who continue practising extreme sports whilst pregnant (my mother did this) or any other risky but SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE activity that can be taken part in.

Being pregnant doesn't 'change everything'. It doesn't change who you are, it doesn't change your current life circumstances. Not everyone who gets pregnant is thrilled or wants to be. Again I will say it finally that being older and/or very overweight is more risky to a pregnancy than smoking if you are otherwise healthy.

Yes I do think it's horrible to see a heavily pregnant woman smoking a cigarette. And I think it's horrible because you are affecting the health of someone that can't walk away, who have to suffer the effects of second hand smoke.

I'm not talking about a cigarette a day, I'm talking about people who continue to smoke 10, 15, 20 cigarettes a day. I feel the same way about heavily pregnant women who continue to drink stupid amounts of alcohol. Again, I'm not talking about a glass of wine of a night time, but excessive drinking.

If you can't stand people like me, who think about the babies who are born with health issues because their parents continued to smoke and drink, to excess, then that's fine.

Now the difference is, I may not like that but I wouldn't sit tutting and telling them how bad it is for them, because it is ultimately their choice and has no effect on my life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do think it's horrible to see a heavily pregnant woman smoking a cigarette. And I think it's horrible because you are affecting the health of someone that can't walk away, who have to suffer the effects of second hand smoke.

I'm not talking about a cigarette a day, I'm talking about people who continue to smoke 10, 15, 20 cigarettes a day. I feel the same way about heavily pregnant women who continue to drink stupid amounts of alcohol. Again, I'm not talking about a glass of wine of a night time, but excessive drinking.

If you can't stand people like me, who think about the babies who are born with health issues because their parents continued to smoke and drink, to excess, then that's fine.

But you seem to totally in comprehend the different life circumstances and issues many women face in their lives. I suppose you feel the same way about someone risking their babies health by trying to conceive at an advanced age, or when they are ridiculously out of shape. An increased risk for stillbirth, premature birth, chromosomal and congenital birth defects, increased risk of Autism and Schizophrenia if the father is older, if you are overweight an increased risk of your child developing cancer and diabetes.

Many people would judge a pregnant woman for drinking a glass of wine at night time, despite you saying you wouldn't. The recommendation is to drink nothing. The fact is you have no place to judge. Pregnancy and life is not without risk anyway and plenty of non smokers do risky things that could potentially harm their baby all the time, because it helps with their mental/emotional state/boredom etc. The only difference is they don't get as much flack because what they do isn't socially unacceptable, albeit still 'risky' and not recommended during pregnancy.
    Forum Member
    CJM91 wrote: »
    But you seem to totally in comprehend the different life circumstances and issues many women face in their lives. I suppose you feel the same way about someone risking their babies health by trying to conceive at an advanced age, or when they are ridiculously out of shape. An increased risk for stillbirth, premature birth, chromosomal and congenital birth defects, increased risk of Autism and Schizophrenia if the father is older, if you are overweight an increased risk of your child developing cancer and diabetes.

Many people would judge a pregnant woman for drinking a glass of wine at night time, despite you saying you wouldn't. The recommendation is to drink nothing. The fact is you have no place to judge. Pregnancy and life is not without risk anyway and plenty of non smokers do risky things that could potentially harm their baby all the time, because it helps with their mental/emotional state/boredom etc. The only difference is they don't get as much flack because what they do isn't socially unacceptable, albeit still 'risky' and not recommended during pregnancy.

I don't judge them for doing it, i have an opinion on it. I don't assume they are a terrible person for doing it, I'm sure the vast vast majority of them are great parents. I have friends that have smoked and drank whilst pregnant, I don't judge them for that. I don't tell them how wrong it is, I don't push my views onto them, I just sit there and get on with it.

If I was in a beer garden with a pregnant friend and she was smoking and an anti-smoker, who do judge and who do think they have the right/place to judge, I would 100% stick up for my friend and tell the anti-smoker that it's none of their business. I don't judge anybody for smoking, drinking, being older or being overweight whilst pregnant, I just done particularly like seeing it.

I can manage to keep my views on them doing it to myself in the situation it occurs, unlike anti-smokers who do think they have this right to tell us not to do it.
  • fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't measure public knowledge by handful of responses on a digital spy forum thread. There's a lot more views than responses on any thread anyway.

Not when I was in school. I've never heard of it before. I've heard of smoking causing lung cancer. I've heard that pregnant women shouldn't smoke. I have never heard of smoking causing erectile and fertility problems in men.

You seem to be getting a bit angry over your own lack of knowledge.

And yes, it's taught in schools.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very little evidence for that fact(oid), particularly looking at incidence rates for countries with far higher levels of air pollution than here.

There is an increased rate of birth and other defects these days, more issues like Autism and learning difficulties in children, poorer childhood health, more asthma. Ironically though much less people smoke and there is much more awareness of the health implications. What there is more of though, is much more overweight and obese people and much more people having children at a late age.

Both would make someone a High Risk, Consultant lead pregnancy in this country...many people in fertility circles now believe with good reason too that this declining childhood health is down to a large amount of parents being overweight and having their children older. It can't be down to smoking or drinking because these things happen much less these days, especially in pregnancy.

Expectant mothers who don't smoke but live in heavily built up areas like London and Glasgow have been found to have the carbon monoxide levels of a smoker (NHS maternity care have you do some oxygen blowing meter when pregnant that tells you how much CM is going in you and your baby) on numerous occasions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show me a statistic like the one you found from 1999 that says "In a survey of X amount of people, X% of people did not know smoking is a cause of infertility.".

Why do you show me a statistic where it says that most people know this?

I think I've done more than you. I've shown a medical journal from 2006 and medically reviewed advice. Your whole argument is that it's taught in schools, like people remember what they were taught in schools.
    Forum Member

I think I've done more than you. I've shown a medical journal from 2006 and medically reviewed advice. Your whole argument is that it's taught in schools, like people remember what they were taught in schools.

You've given a stat from 1999 and two peoples opinions. Hardly conclusive evidence. Whether people know it or not, I will still be smoking my cigarettes.

I admit, I have googled it and there is no statistic about the percentage of people who know, but in the same way, you also haven't offered a statistic on how many people don't know, unless we are counting the one from almost 15 years ago.

Thank you for your warning about infertility, although as I can read and seemingly unlike others remember what I was taught at school, I already knew it. The people on this thread knew it. But thank you for your kind efforts, I will file it with the rest of non/anti-smokers information about the effect on my health.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Show me a statistic like the one you found from 1999 that says "In a survey of X amount of people, X% of people did not know smoking is a cause of infertility.".

Forum Member

I've already answered your point
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's another article
    Its from 2011, that's quite recent
    It's entitled "5 Most Surprising Reasons to Quit Smoking"
    http://www.caring.com/articles/5-surprising-reasons-to-quit-smoking

One of the "surprising" reasons listed is that its causes fertility and erectile problems.

That's nothing more than journalistic licence. I mean, really, you're considering this sort of thing some sort of proof.. of anything?

Numbers 1, 2, 4 and 5 are utterly obvious. Anyone who read that article and didn't know those beforehand must have some sort of deficit in intelligence. The writer of that article was clearly having something of a 'slow news day'.
    That's less surprising to me than smoking causing erectile and male fertility problems.

Here's another site which lists "surprising ways smoking affects your looks and life". It's medically reviewed.

Again it lists "erectile dysfunction"
    http://www.webmd.boots.com/smoking-cessation/ss/slideshow-ways-smoking-affects-looks

Clearly I'm not the only who doesn't consider it "common knowledge" that smoking causes fertility and erectile problems.

I haven't seen any proof that it is "common knowledge". I've shown articles from medical journals and medically reviewed information.
    Your whole argument was that of the people who responded to this forum nobody outright said that they didn't know this.

Except clearly you are.

Not a single other person has agreed with you so far.

I've pointed out why every link you've posted is not proof of this. You're clutching at straws.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    :o:o Love it. I don't smoke and was brought up in a blue fog. Many children were.Very few kids had asthma and none I know of have died from passive smoking. I'm ancient and from a family of smokers none of whom had any problem popping out countless kids. Large families, in the days when many more people smoked, were the norm long before any of this crap.

That's interesting and thought provoking BUT we do seem to have more infertiltiy around now than back then.

Whilst I agree smoking isn't great for fertitlity I do think there is other stuff involved too like all the processed foods we now eat. Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't there been a change in fertility in animals too . My cat gave birth to 8 kittens 30 yrs ago but nowadays 2 or 3 seems to be the norm for a litter
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    That's interesting and thought provoking BUT we do seem to have more infertiltiy around now than back then.

Whilst I agree smoking isn't great for fertitlity I do think there is other stuff involved too like all the processed foods we now eat. Correct me if I am wrong but hasn't there been a change in fertility in animals too . My cat gave birth to 8 kittens 30 yrs ago but nowadays 2 or 3 seems to be the norm for a litter

Yes and to me its blindingly obvious the increased rates of infertility can be put down to a large amount of people now waiting until they are in their later years reproductive wise to have children, a result of both feminism and capitalism, and the huge rates of obesity in the UK nowadays.

Both carry a much greater risk of both infertility and other problems. I have no idea about animal fertility, have always made sure mine are neutered! :D

Ironically the people I know with the largest families are all smokers and regular drinkers/recreational drug takers.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got this from the British Lung Foundation

"Smoking also affects the reproductive system and sex organs. Men can have difficulty getting an erection and it can reduce sperm count."

It's well know that it damages your health and others around you, especially children, but I was hitherto unaware of the effect it has on sperm count and fertility.

I don't know where they got that from, I have smoked 20 odd a day since I was 15 and sired six children up until I had a vasectomy at 50, I'm now 67 and I still enjoy a bit of the ole 'Rumpy Pumpy.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that smoking causes infertility. Years ago more or less everyone smoked and it didn't stop them from having extremely large families. My own Grandmother came from a family of 11 and her own father smoked a pipe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know where they got that from, I have smoked 20 odd a day since I was 15 and sired six children up until I had a vasectomy at 50, I'm now 67 and I still enjoy a bit of the ole 'Rumpy Pumpy.

My partner is a heavy smoker and his co** goes instantly hard if I so much as brush lightly against it. Any talk of my breasts also sets it off, straight up like a solid rock. Its quite annoying at times actually. Doesn't take him too long to ejaculate either!! I don't believe smoking causes impotence/erectile dysfunction.

We have been together several years so it can't just be the initial honeymoon phase of attraction. :D
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fertility rate has not gone down. This is from the Office of National Statistics.

"The total fertility rate (TFR) in England and Wales saw a steady decline during the 1990s, to a low of 1.63 in 2001 and then gradually increased between 2001 and 2008. From 2008 the TFR has remained relatively stable, fluctuating between 1.90 and 1.94 children per woman and peaking in 2010. "

The years in when fertility declined was in 1942 for obvious reasons, early 1950's, late 1970's. The ONS say that

"There is no single explanation underlying the rise in fertility in England and Wales. Possible causes may include:

more women currently in their twenties having children

more women at older ages (born in the 1960s and 1970s) are having children that had previously postponed having them

increases in the numbers of foreign born-women who tend to have higher fertility than UK-born women

government policy and the economic climate indirectly influencing individuals' decision."

As I keep saying, people who have children assume that childlessness is a room with just two doors out - one for those who can't and those who chose not to and it's far far more complex than you can imagine.
    Yes it is horrible that pregnant women continue to smoke. How do we know that people get more help to stop smoking than infertile people do to come to terms with being infertile?

And those stats on smoking versus infertility treatment...

Smoking costs the NHS £1.5billion a year and 300 people a year die from smoking. NICE/BBC 2002.

IVF cycle and infertility spend is £79m (Telegraph Feb 2013) but 80% of the PCTs who are meant to offer this to patients do not, so the figures are much less than that (Guardian, 2012)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »

I volunteer for an animal rescue centre and I would say the average is probably 5 kittens, rarely less. Our food is laced with all manner of additives and fertilisers and that is damaging. The air we breath especially in towns and cities is polluted by traffic far more. . However also with the advent of infertility treatments far more is known about the numbers of infertile adults than ever before. Smoking IMO is an easy cop out rather than any Government facing the real issues.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    my dad has smoked since he was a teen so a good 35 years and he has 4 kids. Plus he has had more health problems from his work. He has been a carpenter since he was 17 and now his back & knees are going. Yet nothing from smoking.
    With smoking like drinking etc i couldn't care less , at the end of the day it is a lifestyle choice. If people want to smoke let them. I haven't got time to worry what others are doing anyway.