The Jane Danson/Leanne Barlow appreciation thread

Comments

• Gunner DLGunner DL Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just remembered that I caught the end of You Saw Them Here First on Sunday night. Right near the end there was a clip of James Corden in Out of Tune and you could clearly see a young Jane in the background. :)
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gunner DL wrote: »
    I just remembered that I caught the end of You Saw Them Here First on Sunday night. Right near the end there was a clip of James Corden in Out of Tune and you could clearly see a young Jane in the background. :)

:)
  • MsWilder11MsWilder11 Posts: 13,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I just wanted to let you know that I'd never do anything to hurt you." Well, that is a very good starting point, Kal. :)
    k9fan wrote: »

A male character who isn't a ladies' man??? :o

Joking aside, he just sounds an all-round decent guy which is a rarity for Soapland. I just hope that this is one relationship that won't rely on the obligatory affair for 'drama'.
    AndreaMC wrote: »
    i am very fond of Nick tbh but it's sad that he never showed more enthusiasm or spontaneity when he and Leanne where together all along. It seems strange how he's behaving in a way as he was the one who called it off with Leanne, even if he did feel distressed over the slap he gave her, he still made what seemed to be a logical decision that he believed would be best for everyone concerned.
    Actually come to think of it, it is one of the more truthful instances in Corrie at the moment. It's showing that love is something that you can't just turn off for a change, and that's positive,

I definitely agree with the BIB. The only trouble with that is the fact that there'll always be the potential of Nick pining over Leanne and never ever moving on and that would get very boring very quickly. I know that Soapland has its "end-game" couples, but sometimes you have to call time on a pairing, regardless of their past glories.

For example, look at Sally and Tim; they work fantastically together and shouldn't e split up just because Kevin's shown his face again. Sally and Kevin have had their day (IMO) and it's been proven that Sally can work with someone else. Of course, I'm not saying that about every couple (Roy and Hayley were made for each other!) just ones where they seem to have reached the end of the road and shouldn't kept together for the sake of it. I put Nick and Leanne in this category. They've tried twice and failed twice. It an be argued that if Nick's brain damage hadn't happened then they would've stuck together, but they were so 'blah' that I could only imagine it'd be a matter of time before one of them had a ONS/affair. They've had their time and now they should be left in the past. Leanne's lost the romantic love she had for him, so why bother trying to pursue a relationship which is clearly doomed?

Leanne is the love of Nick's life, but he's not hers and I don't think he ever was. He was her first love so he's obviously significant, but he's not 'The One'. If anything, I'd like this Kal stuff to make him realise that he can't spend the rest of his life pining like this. The bottom line is: you either feel a thing or you don't and, sadly, Leanne doesn't and probably won't again. It's a hard pill to swallow but the guy needs to accept that.

Leanne and Nick's history has actually been limiting her character which is why this Kal stuff is so refreshing and intriguing. It's new ground, a different direction and there's a lot of potential in the pairing. I just hope that any tension with Nick isn't drawn out for months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked all the Leanne/Stella stuff on Friday.

I think, in general, they've always done pretty well with the dialogue and interactions between them and it was still pretty good. I did find the cut to Michelle and Carla a tad odd, probably because Leanne and Stella's relationship isn't exactly indicative of a perfect mother/sibling relationship – but maybe that was the point?

Will be good to see what happens next. I have to agree that I hope that Nick's pining doesn't last too long. I'm fairly patient and it began to grate on me on Friday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think, in general, they've always done pretty well with the dialogue and interactions between them and it was still pretty good. I did find the cut to Michelle and Carla a tad odd, probably because Leanne and Stella's relationship isn't exactly indicative of a perfect mother/sibling relationship – but maybe that was the point?

Will be good to see what happens next. I have to agree that I hope that Nick's pining doesn't last too long. I'm fairly patient and it began to grate on me on Friday.

Quite; after all, it was he that called time on the marriage. Perhaps he could go to Canada again?;-) Didn't Maria go with him last time?

A draw for Arsenal against M City which was good, and a win for Palace!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Makes sense. Corrie doesn't trust us to join the dots, they have to blatantly signpost stuff like this. However, as decent as the Stella/Leanne relationship is, they barely scratched the surface with them. It's been such a waste really.

As an aside - Carla dithering like this over her pregnancy is bloody infuriating. Ye olde Carla wouldn't have had to think twice about an abortion. If I hear her say "I never wanted kids/to be a mam/kids weren't part of the plan" once more, then I think I'll break my TV >:(
    Quite; after all, it was he that called time on the marriage. Perhaps he could go to Canada again?;-) Didn't Maria go with him last time?

Part of me wonders is there was a grain of truth in what Gail said to Leanne about Nick ending it, but wanting to "test" her to see whether she'd genuinely fight for them to stay together. Or was it more that he was feeling utterly hopeless and full of despair but, now he's feeling better, he feels like he's well enough to try again? Either way, it doesn't matter because Leanne's romantic love for him has gone.

I don't want him gone, I just want him to move the hell on. If he spends the rest of his time on the Street constantly looking or ways to get back with Leanne then I'll be peeved. I know love hurts when it's not reciprocated, but there's nothing attractive about desperation and he'll be going down that route if he keeps up the 'woe is me' attitude.
    A draw for Arsenal against M City which was good, and a win for Palace!:)

L'pool are top of the League so I'm all :D Just hope we can keep our heads!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Makes sense. Corrie doesn't trust us to join the dots, they have to blatantly signpost stuff like this. However, as decent as the Stella/Leanne relationship is, they barely scratched the surface with them. It's been such a waste really.

As an aside - Carla dithering like this over her pregnancy is bloody infuriating. Ye olde Carla wouldn't have had to think twice about an abortion. If I hear her say "I never wanted kids/to be a mam/kids weren't part of the plan" once more, then I think I'll break my TV >:(

Part of me wonders is there was a grain of truth in what Gail said to Leanne about Nick ending it, but wanting to "test" her to see whether she'd genuinely fight for them to stay together. Or was it more that he was feeling utterly hopeless and full of despair but, now he's feeling better, he feels like he's well enough to try again? Either way, it doesn't matter because Leanne's romantic love for him has gone.

I don't want him gone, I just want him to move the hell on. If he spends the rest of his time on the Street constantly looking or ways to get back with Leanne then I'll be peeved. I know love hurts when it's not reciprocated, but there's nothing attractive about desperation and he'll be going down that route if he keeps up the 'woe is me' attitude.

L'pool are top of the League so I'm all :D Just hope we can keep our heads!

:):):)
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.itv.com/coronationstreet/news/new-cast-alya-nazir

I thought Kal's children would be younger, at least Leanne is not raising another bloke's kids/teenage tearaways.

It would be interesting to see how she reacts to Leanne being Kal's new girlfriend (if they do get together) and it would be nice to see Leanne have a good relationship/friendship with her especially since Kal hasn't been with anyone else since his wife died. Hopefully she's a decent actress.

Looking forward to seeing Leanne and Eva moving in together, I can't wait to see their relationship grow, and they don't have Stella here to be a referee. They may actually become friends!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GracieL wrote: »

I thought Kal's children would be younger, at least Leanne is not raising another bloke's kids/teenage tearaways.

It would be interesting to see how she reacts to Leanne being Kal's new girlfriend (if they do get together) and it would be nice to see Leanne have a good relationship/friendship with her especially since Kal hasn't been with anyone else since his wife died. Hopefully she's a decent actress.

Looking forward to seeing Leanne and Eva moving in together, I can't wait to see their relationship grow, and they don't have Stella here to be a referee. They may actually become friends!

Thank you.:)

Yes.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you.:)

Yes.:)

No problemo :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Kal certainly seemed keen given that he was prepared to gatecrash the Ladies' Night last night! :)

I'm a bit sad to see Stella go, although there was so much potential that wasn't followed up on with her situation with both Leanne and Eva. Will always love that scene where Leanne and Stella first talked about when she had Leanne, and Stella commented that while all the other women in the maternity ward had hair like Lady Di, she looked like "Bonnie Tyler in a wind tunnel!" :)

Will be good to see how the sisters get on living together.

I didn't think that Kal's kids would be grown up, either. That does add a certain different dimension if anything happens with Leanne.
    It does seem from the spoilers as if this will take a bit of a back seat for a bit now, I can't see much of a mention of Leanne, Kal or Nick coming up. I suppose they have to build up to Tina's murder. Hopefully it might tick away in the background.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, Kal certainly seemed keen given that he was prepared to gatecrash the Ladies' Night last night! :)

I'm a bit sad to see Stella go, although there was so much potential that wasn't followed up on with her situation with both Leanne and Eva. Will always love that scene where Leanne and Stella first talked about when she had Leanne, and Stella commented that while all the other women in the maternity ward had hair like Lady Di, she looked like "Bonnie Tyler in a wind tunnel!" :)

Will be good to see how the sisters get on living together.

I didn't think that Kal's kids would be grown up, either. That does add a certain different dimension if anything happens with Leanne.
    It does seem from the spoilers as if this will take a bit of a back seat for a bit now, I can't see much of a mention of Leanne, Kal or Nick coming up. I suppose they have to build up to Tina's murder. Hopefully it might tick away in the background.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) Hopefully they won't have too many ups and downs.

It's Friday, hurray! Double Corrie and no more work until Monday! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :) Hopefully they won't have too many ups and downs.

It's Friday, hurray! Double Corrie and no more work until Monday! :)

I'm retired!:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy Friday anyway! :):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I had it down that Kal's kids were going to be young'uns and that Simon would get jealous, but to have grown up kids puts a different spin on things.

BIB - Yeah, I wonder if they'll be hostile to Leanne in a 'nobody-can-replace-our-mother' kind of way? Or maybe Leanne and the daughter will bond and she'll have a female friendship again.

I'm looking forward to it, whatever way it goes. New direction for Leanne is a great thing.

I seriously hope that the focus of the show isn't solely on the God-awful Peter/Tina thing. It's one of the worst SLs I've known and I want everyone involved to sod off ASAP. Carla's almost unrecognisable now! I'm still thinking SB i going to have her OTT cooing over baby stuff and knitting booties. The man seems to thrive on destroying characterisation.

I'm amazed he's actually getting it right with Leanne's direction. One of the few positives I've seen.

PS. Happy Friday, everyone :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy Friday:):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep saying three goals, three goals!!
    :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just browsing and found something I had forgotten about; what a pity that it didn't happen.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Barlow_(Coronation_Street)
    Peter returns to the hospital and tells Leanne that he wants them to try for another baby when she is recovered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/coronation-streets-jane-danson-on-her-tv-418302
    Sep 13, 2009
    When Jane went on maternity leave Leanne was temporarily written out of the soap – heading to Leeds to run a bar. But she returned to our screens on Friday when ex-love Peter Barlow tracked her down.

She says: “Leanne is getting on with her life and tells him she’s moved on but she obviously has a change of heart and comes back. She moves in with Janice for all of two nights then moves in with Peter, so it’s quite a whirlwind.

“They are both flawed characters. Peter’s an alcoholic and a bigamist and she’s been a drug addict and a prostitute. The two of them have been to dark places and are drawn to each other.”

To the surprise of Street gossips they quickly settle down together.

Jane says: “Obviously it depends what the writers want to do, but it would be nice to see Leanne have some kind of normality for a while. It doesn’t always have to be about the biggest storyline – I’d love some everyday domestic stuff for her. In a way that’s harder and more challenging for me because I’ve not done that before. It’s always been high drama for Leanne. Now it’s normal and nice it feels a bit alien!”

It’s a big change from when Jane returned to work after maternity leave with her first son Harry to find Street bosses had decided to turn Leanne into a high-class hooker – a storyline she admits she wasn’t entirely comfortable with.

She says: “It did concern me slightly. I thought it wasn’t something you could put into people’s houses every week. Maybe one day they’ll visit why she did it but as long as they don’t revisit her actually doing it I’ll be happy.

“I used to get mithered so much when I was out shopping it was a nightmare. I can’t tell you what people would say. It was jokey but it wasn’t the sort of thing you’d want your kids to hear and they’d do it whether Harry was there or not.”
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    I had it down that Kal's kids were going to be young'uns and that Simon would get jealous, but to have grown up kids puts a different spin on things.

BIB - Yeah, I wonder if they'll be hostile to Leanne in a 'nobody-can-replace-our-mother' kind of way? Or maybe Leanne and the daughter will bond and she'll have a female friendship again.

I'm looking forward to it, whatever way it goes. New direction for Leanne is a great thing.

I seriously hope that the focus of the show isn't solely on the God-awful Peter/Tina thing. It's one of the worst SLs I've known and I want everyone involved to sod off ASAP. Carla's almost unrecognisable now! I'm still thinking SB i going to have her OTT cooing over baby stuff and knitting booties. The man seems to thrive on destroying characterisation.

I'm amazed he's actually getting it right with Leanne's direction. One of the few positives I've seen.

PS. Happy Friday, everyone :D

BIB- I honestly can't wait until Leanne moves away from the Platts/Tilsleys's and I'm looking forward to Leanne having a completely new relationship. I hope Simon doesn't ditch Leanne as soon as the new baby comes along.

BIB2- God the stuff with Carla is already making me feel sick, I honestly don't know how I'll cope with another 9 months of this. I agree Carla is completely different person now, having a baby is just not in her nature. I'm surprised Carla didn't go through with the termination, IIRC didn't she say Maria's stillborn baby dying was for the best? SB has already ruined Todd and Anna.

I'm dreading Leanne finding out Carla's pregnant and isn't Peter to old for getting 2 woman pregnant in less than a week lol.

I think SB has done a marvellous job on Leanne, he is working on the relationship with Eva, split her and Nick up and put her with a completely new bloke. He has defiantly done a better job on Leanne's character than Collinson did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/coronation-streets-jane-danson-on-her-tv-418302

It’s a big change from when Jane returned to work after maternity leave with her first son Harry to find Street bosses had decided to turn Leanne into a high-class hooker – a storyline she admits she wasn’t entirely comfortable with.

She says: “It did concern me slightly. I thought it wasn’t something you could put into people’s houses every week. Maybe one day they’ll visit why she did it but as long as they don’t revisit her actually doing it I’ll be happy.

“I used to get mithered so much when I was out shopping it was a nightmare. I can’t tell you what people would say. It was jokey but it wasn’t the sort of thing you’d want your kids to hear and they’d do it whether Harry was there or not.

BIB 1 - She wasn't happy with the escorting SL? That's interesting...

BIB 2 - That sounds rather...erm...dodgy? Especially considering it was in front of her little boy. What's wrong with people?!
    BIB- I honestly can't wait until Leanne moves away from the Platts/Tilsleys's and I'm looking forward to Leanne having a completely new relationship. I hope Simon doesn't ditch Leanne as soon as the new baby comes along

I can't imagine Nick being out of the picture just yet. He's already showing the jealous signs and I wouldn't be surprised if Dark Nick emerged for some payback or something. Pre-crash Nick pulled some pretty low stunts when he was trying to sabotage Peter/Leanne eg. deliberately pushing Peter off the wagon to cause stress for Leanne. If he could do something like that before the brain damage, imagine what he could be capable of now!
    BIB2- God the stuff with Carla is already making me feel sick, I honestly don't know how I'll cope with another 9 months of this. I agree Carla is completely different person now, having a baby is just not in her nature. I'm surprised Carla didn't go through with the termination, IIRC didn't she say Maria's stillborn baby dying was for the best? SB has already ruined Todd and Anna.

The whole situation makes no sense. Carla never wanted kids ever and Peter wasn't really keen on having any more (even when he was with Leanne, post miscarriage) so the whole idea of either of them suddenly doing a U-Turn and embracing a child together is ridiculous. I know it's Soapland, but I'd really love it if just once an anti-kids character stuck to their guns and had the abortion rather than having to end up doing the cliché changing-mind-at-last-minute thing. Not every woman in RL wants kids and those that have "accidents" don't magically change their mind and come round to the idea.

Not sure on the Maria thing, but I have to admit I'm loving Todd being an utter shizbag :blush:
    I'm dreading Leanne finding out Carla's pregnant and isn't Peter to old for getting 2 woman pregnant in less than a week lol.

I'm intrigued to see these supposed scenes where Carla goes to Leanne for help/advice on what to do re Peter drinking again. I wonder what way Leanne's going to play it; will she be the bigger person and be sympathetic? As much as it'd be a nice bit of 'karma' for her, Peter being a drunken mess isn't good for Simon.
    I think SB has done a marvellous job on Leanne, he is working on the relationship with Eva, split her and Nick up and put her with a completely new bloke. He has defiantly done a better job on Leanne's character than Collinson did.

It's bizarre to see him get something right when he's getting everything else so wrong. Although I'm glad SB wasn't in charge when Peter/Leanne were properly together, pre-Carla. Imagine the ludicrous way he'd have probably split them up :o The Peter/Carla thing was horrible enough, but at least there was logic and a proper build up to it.
  • ben marshben marsh Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    i thought it was great to see that leannes brown leather jacket returned in fridays episode i personally think that she looks quite sexy when shes wearing her leathers either the black or the brown one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ben marsh wrote: »
    i thought it was great to see that leannes brown leather jacket returned in fridays episode i personally think that she looks quite sexy when shes wearing her leathers either the black or the brown one

Haha yes, I love Leanne's leather jackets. My personal favourite is the black one
  • ben marshben marsh Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Haha yes, I love Leanne's leather jackets. My personal favourite is the black one

when leanne returned to corrie after jane had been on maternity leave in march 2007 she returned in a long leather trench coat then we saw her black and brown leather jackets then we saw another leather trench coat and then we saw another small dark brown leather jacket so shes had about 5 leather coats on corrie