Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »

I speak as someone who's never actually won one of course ;)

That's a shame.

If the actual more in tune listeners had a casting vote instead of industry insiders, you would definitely get my vote to make up for you missing out in the past.
  • Options
    droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This site should give pomposity awards.
    There wouldn't be time after all the arrogance awards have been given out.
  • Options
    redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Mr Bacon was as well briefed as usual today.
    Talking to Michelle Collins, (who is leaving Corrie) he asked her if she will miss being Landlady in the Rovers Return, and she had to correct him and say she left the Rovers a year ago.

Richard Bacon is always well briefed on the only subject in which he has a real interest----Himself.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting piece on the history of 5Live from the Independent newspaper

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-week-in-radio-when-a-chat-queen-became-the-toast-of-radio-bloke-9234086.html

(Puts tin hat on and takes cover...)
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Black Crow wrote: »

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/features/the-week-in-radio-when-a-chat-queen-became-the-toast-of-radio-bloke-9234086.html

YUK! At first I thought it was written by the cringeworthy Owen Jones. No wonder The Independent is on its' way out, according to industry commentators
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does it work when Campbell only does 2/3 of the Breakfast programme?

A pedant writes 'it's 3/4'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    Sigh.

The award will be for everyone involved in the show.

The award for "Best (i.e. only) breakfast programme with a staggered start and where one co-presenter doesn't have the courtesy to wait until his scheduled start time".
  • Options
    RinkenderRinkender Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    That's nonsense of course,I'm quite proud it's got to 230 pages and grateful to posters who have made it so whatever their viewpoints....

having said that you must have done a lot of flicking through all those 230 pages to justify that comment as I don't recognise your handle as a regular on here at all if ever before TBH...

it's disingenuous to say such a thing to people who regularly post here whether we agree with each other or not ....

Oh I see you need to be 'a regular' to be able to have an opinion, I have looked at loads of the posts over a long period then formed my light hearted view. Only someone with a huge ego would view it otherwise, that's only my opinion of course 😉
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »

Quelle surprise - another puff piece from one of the sisterhood at the Guardian/Observer/Independent.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't recall ever claiming to be an expert at anything but I do know you don't leave spaces before the question mark or after the quotation marks.

30-15 I believe.:D
    I think the question mark needs to be outside the quotation marks too.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I seem to have call to criticise this sort thing around this time of year every 12 months or so, but again it's disappointing to hear that Radio 5 Live have prioritised their usual Friday Premier League Preview programme with Dan Walker ahead of live commentary on tonight's crucial Championship game, Leicester City v Sheffield Wednesday, commentary of which (simulcast from BBC Radio Leicester) is on Radio 5 Live Sports Extra instead.

I know the Premier League holds more sway and commands more interest with the public than the Football League, and people have argued in favour of why 5 Live opt to do Premier League discussion over non-PL commentaries on Monday and Friday nights on here in the past, but I think on occasions like tonight - when the game in question is particularly significant to the promotion/title race - few would disagree that they should be prioritising Football League commentaries ahead of their usual output.

Leicester City only need a couple of victories to guarantee promotion to the Premier League, and should they win tonight and other results go their way tomorrow, they'll be a top flight club come 5pm on Saturday night. For me, this sort of game - one that is massive to the promotion race to the Premier League - should trump mere discussion about said league.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rinkender wrote: »
    Oh I see you need to be 'a regular' to be able to have an opinion, I have looked at loads of the posts over a long period then formed my light hearted view. Only someone with a huge ego would view it otherwise, that's only my opinion of course 😉

No you don't have to be a regular to have an opinion,all posters are welcome but seeing as you are obviously new to this thread but when you say something like that all the posts less the anti Campbell/Derbyshire it begs the question how you would know this.

I realise it's a quip but when you've hardly been here 5 minutes to knock the previous history of posts isn't really etiquette.

Yes they're are a lot of such posts and equally there are people who often counter these.
    A mostly reasonable conversation is the result and everyone vents their opinion... no problem..

So welcome to the thread hope you enjoy posting more often :)
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish 5live would stop the annoying F1 trailer.....

yes there's been rule changes but it's not "old school racing" its now a fuel saving exercise....Senna and Hunt would be horrified it is not like the glory days anymore.........

especially as calling something old school is naff like seeing an MP playing football on a publicity visit to a school or sports function... :p
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    YUK! At first I thought it was written by the cringeworthy Owen Jones. No wonder The Independent is on its' way out, according to industry commentators

This just shows the split. BBC Management, Guardian, Observer and Independent readers in the minority on one side but getting their opinion heard over and beyond the majority,
  • Options
    Reform FiveReform Five Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    I am afraid I am not an industry professional, Station ID is that man.

As for being in "a considerable minority here" it's little wonder as anyone who expresses any positive comments on here face negative responses. I am sure that the comments of a few on here do not represent the bulk of the Five Live audience but you know that already.

Keep the witch hunt up though, I am sure the victims are looking in now and then and having a wee laugh to themselves.

No witch hunt we just want a station built on news current affairs, politics and the all important sport. Minority group misery hour with Derbyshire, Bacon over selling himself and Nolan barking up the wrong tree again does not cut the mustard. No wonder Talk Sport is on the up and Five is sadly in decline.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    I wish 5live would stop the annoying F1 trailer.....

yes there's been rule changes but it's not "old school racing" its now a fuel saving exercise....Senna and Hunt would be horrified it is not like the glory days anymore.........

especially as calling something old school is naff like seeing an MP playing football on a publicity visit to a school or sports function... :p

They've got an even more annoying advert/trailer now; "On digital, online, on smartphone, on tablet, (on kitchen sink, on the microwave blah blah blah)

It sounds like Bacon wrote it.
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Respect to the guy who's on Nolan at the moment, he's trying to raise money for a great cause, but isn't Nolan lapping all of this up. He's in his element. It's truly sickening
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its Saturday morning and the radio stays tuned to 5 permanently for nearly 36 hours - excluding Savage of course. Tunes to Lbc when the dreaded Sunday evening repeats come on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Aaarh ! Caroline Barker again !!!
    Off to radio 4 then
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    Respect to the guy who's on Nolan at the moment, he's trying to raise money for a great cause, but isn't Nolan lapping all of this up. He's in his element. It's truly sickening

That's Nolan!!

Are the BBC allowed to give so much air time for what was basically a charity appeal?

Fine giving out a website address, but auto donate text numbers to get impulse donations was a bit much IMO.
  • Options
    Captain Peac0ckCaptain Peac0ck Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    QUOTE - "They've got an even more annoying advert/trailer now; "On digital, online, on smartphone, on tablet, (on kitchen sink, on the microwave blah blah blah)"

And they now employ Daleks to voice the ads.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QUOTE - "They've got an even more annoying advert/trailer now; "On digital, online, on smartphone, on tablet, (on kitchen sink, on the microwave blah blah blah)"

And they now employ Daleks to voice the ads.

Some would say weekday mornings too.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah. So the female writer is a fan of Vic D. Ergo The independent is on its way out.. :D They've been saying the same thing for the last 5 years....a bit like what some economists have been saying about the euro. I guess NOTW beat them to it..,thankfully
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This just shows the split. BBC Management, Guardian, Observer and Independent readers in the minority on one side but getting their opinion heard over and beyond the majority,
    The minority? Says who? As usual your perception that this thread speaks for the vast majority of 5 Live listeners is somewhat misplaced.
  • Options
    radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Was that a work experience boy doing breakfast with Caroline barker this morning?
This discussion has been closed.