Parking On Your Drive

Comments

• Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reverse up my drive as I have high hedges on both sides of the drive so my view is restricted too much to reverse out.
    I do not live on a busy lane so I could if I wanted to drive up and reverse out probably, but I feel it is safer to do it the way I do it.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    So do we but some of the men in our road are very territorial and wouldn't like anyone parking on their drive without first asking permission.

Where did I say that I'd parked on anyone's drive? I said I parked across in front of it. I was on the road. I don't need anyone's permission.
  • Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Where did I say that I'd parked on anyone's drive? I said I parked across in front of it. (On the road)

So you deliberately blocked their drive? That is not very neighbourly is it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I wish people reversed into supermarket car parking spaces. Nearly been knocked down twice with idiots not checking before reversing.

Seems a bit silly to reverse in when you want to put your shopping in the boot.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd say it was fair enough if his wife is disabled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As I already explained. His car was on the road. He wasn't using his drive (he never does) so I wasn't blocking him in. I only parked it there for a few minutes while I helped my disabled wife to the house with the shopping bags. After that I had every intention of moving it but he was so quick to run across and start mouthing off at me he never gave me chance to explain.

If he had been bothered to park on his own drive instead of on the road then people like us who haven't got off road parking would have been able to get a space. But because he was too idol to use his own drive I had no option but to park across it while I helped my wife into the house with the shopping.

Even as I was tying to explain to him he just kept walking off up my front path. The guy is a dick who's got no interest or consideration for anyone else but himself. Ironically the guy now has leukemia and has no option but to use his drive as he can't walk. Maybe he now understands what me wife has to go through every time he parked outside my house.
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I already explained. His car was on the road. He wasn't using his drive (he never does) so I wasn't blocking him in. I only parked it there for a few minutes while I my disabled wife could make it to the house and I got the shopping bags in. After that I had every intention of moving it but he was so quick to run across and start mouthing off at me he never gave me chance to explain.

If he had been bothered to park on his own drive instead of on the road then people like us who haven't got off road parking would have been able to get a space. But because he was too idol to use his own drive I had no option but to park across it while I helped my wife into the house with the shopping.

Sounds reasonable Wizard. What is the point having a drive and not using it? Surely it helps with insurance costs too if you have your own drive and don't park on the road?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I already explained. His car was on the road. He wasn't using his drive (he never does) so I wasn't blocking him in. I only parked it there for a few minutes while I my disabled wife could make it to the house and I got the shopping bags in. After that I had every intention of moving it but he was so quick to run across and start mouthing off at me he never gave me chance to explain.

Why would he park his car on the road when he has a drive? I occasionally park my car on the road while my other half jet cleans the drive. This is all very strange :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds reasonable Wizard. What is the point having a drive and not using it? Surely it helps with insurance costs too if you have your own drive and don't park on the road?

That is a good point because the insurance would be higher if you park your car on the road instead of on your drive.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. I will reverse in if just picking up a few items and will put them either on the passenger or back seat, but if I am doing a full weekly shop and have 10+ full bags of shopping, I will pull in forwards.

If you have a 4x4 with a tailgate that opens sideways it's impossible to open unless you park forwards in most supermarket car parks.

A common issue with reversing into a drive that's on a main road is that the car behind cannot read your mind so they will think you are just pulling up to the left. It can then get pretty awkward to reverse in if they don't leave a gap and a queue builds up behind.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Why don't people when parking on their drives stop reversing out into the road and reverse in when parking. Some just don't know how to drive.

The direction in which a person parks on their driveway does not define their ability to drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would he park his car on the road when he has a drive? I occasionally park my car on the road while my other half jet cleans the drive. This is all very strange :confused:

No idea. You tell me. Maybe because he was too idol to reverse in and out or turn around on his drive or maybe it's because he has iron gates and he can't be arsed to get out to open and shut them. Perhaps It was easier for him to just walk outside, jump in his car and pull away.

Either way it made it difficult and frustrating for us if we came home and this guy was parked outside the house again and to see his driveway completely empty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    No idea. You tell me. Maybe because he was too idol to reverse in and out or turn around on his drive or maybe it's because he has iron gates and he can't be arsed to get out to open and shut them. Perhaps It was easier for him to just walk outside, jump in his car and pull away.

I would have yelled at the rebel.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to know why people don't park on their drives at all! There's a road near us that is murder at peak times because there are cars parked on both sides, causing drivers to give way all the time. Yet the houses mostly have drives...which are empty. Go figure, as I hate saying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have yelled at the rebel.

I realise that he has every right to park on a public road same as me so I can't really say much about it but it's only common courtesy to other residents (especially ones with disabilities) to use your drive if you're lucky enough to have one and keep the roadside clear for people who need the access.

Some selfish people want a big driveway AND want their own roadside parking spaces.

Because we only live on a very narrow lane, parking is only permitted on one side of the road which means there's limited spaces for those without a driveway This in itself causes my wife problems getting to the car but when the bloke opposite decides he's too lazy to use his drive so just pulls up on the roadside outside his house instead of using his drive then it makes me so annoyed.
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I would like to know why people don't park on their drives at all! There's a road near us that is murder at peak times because there are cars parked on both sides, causing drivers to give way all the time. Yet the houses mostly have drives...which are empty. Go figure, as I hate saying.

There's a road near to where I live where everybody parks all down one side of the road on the left so it's like driving two way traffic down a one way street and the ones with the right of way won't give way to the traffic that's forced to overtake coming in the opposite direction. It's a nightmare. Its like driving two cars head on towards one another in a game of chicken to see who's gonna give way first. People are forever pulling in to let people past and if there's no space to pull in or someone won't give way, they have no option but to mount the pavement to allow for both cars to get through. Nearly every house has a driveway and those that don't, have parking at the rear via a sliproad that leads round the back of the houses. But of course that's too much trouble for people so they all just abandon their cars on the road.

The council say they wont stop the parking because it slows people down and reduces speeding.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless there's an obstruction at the time making it difficult my wife and I both reverse onto the drive and drive off it forward but to be honest our road is so quite that is wouldn't really matter..
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As an expert driver I like to drive into the small space and reverse out into the large space.

You just know it makes sense.
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the knobs that think it's perfectly acceptable to park on my driveway that do my head in. One bonus is watching them panic when they come back to find the rather hefty gates locked shut and no access to their car.

Had one cheeky bugger phone the police before, claiming I was stealing his car. The Police sided with me. :D
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We live on a road with a 40mph speed limit and no footpath so we always reverse in and drive out. Next door have a massive hedge that blocks the sight line too so I really wouldn't want to try and reverse out, it would be a dice with death.
    A woman reversed out of her drive and crashed into the front of my car a few weeks ago. I went round a sharp corner and she didn't see me. Luckily she admitted liability. If she had reversed in, and drove out forwards, it wouldn't have happened.
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    As an expert driver I like to drive into the small space and reverse out into the large space.

You just know it makes sense.

Apparently not expert enough to reverse into a small space though.
    Mark Twain, or maybe Abraham Lincoln, must have had you in mind when he said, "You can remain silent and be thought a fool, or open your mouth, (or in your case a keyboard), and remove all doubt.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Experts choose the easiest option
    Mark Twain, or maybe Abraham Lincoln, must have had you in mind when he said, "You can remain silent and be thought a fool, or open your mouth, (or in your case a keyboard), and remove all doubt.

Don't you actually know:blush::blush:
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I went round a sharp corner and she didn't see me. Luckily she admitted liability.
    Lucky indeed as it sounds like you went round a sharp corner without paying due attention and didn't see her.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »

1. Anyone with a medium sized+ hatchback reversing into my short driveway would bash their hatch on overhangs on the house when they first opened it. You have to drive in nose first to avoid it, or hang your car partly out onto the pavement.

2. The access road is narrow and is blocked right into an adjacent T junction if anyone stops to reverse in at busy times of the day. You have to reverse in slowly and carefully due to the short driveways, which makes the situation worse.

3. Visibility is clear in all directions (open plan) so it is easy to pick your moment and reverse out safely when no cars or people are approaching. This is by far the easiest and most convenient method for everyone concerned including passing motorists and neighbours.

4. Anyone who dogmatically insists in always reversing onto driveways/parking spaces, or vice versa, isn't very bright - because individual circumstances vary so much.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our driveway is long but narrow. If you reversed in you would have to stay in the car until you wanted to leave the driveway. Therefore, you have to drive in and reverse out.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    I recently had a taxi driver do this.

They seem to follow different rules to the rest of us.