Options

Maria Miller MP...Go or Stay?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its double standards if someone on benefits was cheating the system they will be put in prison but not this horrible person?
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Maria Miller has quite (d.mail)

Presumably she will be quietly slipped back into another lucrative Government position when the dust has settled.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,681
    Forum Member
    She may have gone but her resignation letter and Cameron's response show that neither of them has actually understood what's going on.
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't understand why Milliband has not demanded she go or is there something he doesn't want thrown back he is gutless IMHO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand why Milliband has not demanded she go or is there something he doesn't want thrown back he is gutless IMHO

Because the Labour party don't have a particularly auspicious past in terms of expenses either and next time it might be a shadow cabinet minister whose head is on the block.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had to go - if she hadn't then the last PMQs for a month would have been about her with hardly a mention of 'improved' GDP predictions
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    She had to go - if she hadn't then the last PMQs for a month would have been about her with hardly a mention of 'improved' GDP predictions

It'll still be about her but the angle will be Cameron's lack of judgement and awareness about what's going on. Especially since he was still planning on defending her today. Totally in their own little world, the lot of them.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, it might do. Unfortunately I suspect that these people just don't care. I'm surprised she's the MP for Basingstoke though. Having been to the (ghastly) place many times it's never struck me as a Tory town.
    Depends where you have been in Basingstoke? In areas like South Ham and Popley most people do vote Labour. The problem is it is many of the other areas of the town and more importantly the surrounding villages that make Basingstoke a safe Tory seat. Miller got 50% of the vote in 2010! Whether she resigns or not as MP it will take a miracle for the Tories to lose this seat.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

Because he doesn't want to get involved in a Tory matter? He would be accused of using this for political capital. He didnt need to get involved...she got the boot without him getting involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because he doesn't want to get involved in a Tory matter? He would be accused of using this for political capital. He didnt need to get involved...she got the boot without him getting involved.

I do think it's unusual for the leader of the opposition not to lead calls for the removal of someone from Cabinet though. Still you're right, it was a good outcome for him without him getting his hands dirty.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evilgazebo wrote: »
    At the Election are the good people of Basingstoke going to vote for this woman again knowing she's been robbing them all?;-)

They sure will.

The good people of Salford (Greater Manchester) re-elected the thieving Hazel Blears after she robbed us (then paid the money back), so no doubt, the Basingstoke populus will do the same with Miller.:(
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you've overlooked the major serious question as to why Cameron chose not to demand her resignation! After all he was her 'boss'!

Anyway, she's gone, but imo she should now face exactly the same proceedings as would be brought against benefit cheats and tax dodgers.

Cameron has sealed his own fate now though and shown what a weak PM he really is. Not that anyone didn't know that before.