Mammon More 4.

Comments

• fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not fall into the trap of thinking that anything Scandinavian is automatically special. This one isn't. The main problem is that is doesn't seem to have a plot anyone would give a damn about - one week on I could remember almost nothing about the events or characters of episode 1. I deleted it from my schedule 10 minutes into episode 2 with some sense of relief.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Let's not fall into the trap of thinking that anything Scandinavian is automatically special. This one isn't. The main problem is that is doesn't seem to have a plot anyone would give a damn about - one week on I could remember almost nothing about the events or characters of episode 1. I deleted it from my schedule 10 minutes into episode 2 with some sense of relief.

I'm sad to feel the same way you do. With Wallander, Borgen, The Killing etc we've probably seen the cream of Scandinavian dramas.
    Mammon looked great in the trails but the characters mean nothing to me and I also can't get into the hotch potch storyline. :(
  • runninglassrunninglass Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Can't help noticing the resemblance of the kid in the portrait to Bud Cort - Harold and Maude.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed episode 2 - very gripping. I'm a little bit confused, are the pregnant newspaper reporter and the older editor guy in on it? They keep picking up the phone saying "Peter knows this.....'Peter knows that....." Apart from that I thought it was quality.
  • HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find tonight's episode all that great either. I'm giving it time, because the set-up can be confusing with this kind of drama... but you usually get the hang of things in ep 2, even if the plot is still obscure.

With Mammon, I don't understand the characters, their reactions, the social setting, the dialogue... anything! Apart from everyone seems to be really pissed off.

Language sounds nice though.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Justice Minister's assistant (he's got a beard I think) is one to watch out for. Or maybe that's what they want me to think. :D I rather suspect he's the one behind Peter's break-in and assault, and may have been the one following them as they left the church at the end of part 2.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The story is intriguing, so far. I like it. I think it's a shame that foreign dramas (because they are 'foreign') are automatically compared to The Bridge, Borgen etc. Even if something isn't as good as those, it can still be an enjoyable drama in its own right. I'd rather watch something like Mammon or Salamander than some of the UK/US rubbish we get.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    The story is intriguing, so far. I like it. I think it's a shame that foreign dramas (because they are 'foreign') are automatically compared to The Bridge, Borgen etc. Even if something isn't as good as those, it can still be an enjoyable drama in its own right. I'd rather watch something like Mammon or Salamander than some of the UK/US rubbish we get.

Yes, I'm finding it intriguing as well. Paintings, Biblical references, there's something of the Dan Brown about it. :)
    As you say, it's a bit unfair to compare it to The Killing or The Bridge, they were outstanding. Not all European imports are going to be memorarable, we've had to put up with a lot of American rubbish (along with a few gems) for as long as i can remember.
    Mammon isn't great by any means, but so far I prefer it to Salamader, which I thought was a load of old tosh, with totally unconvincing characters.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

Story wise, plot wise, characterisation and general good tvness of these foreign language dramas make the English language stuff we get dished up these days like dross.

Everything from Moltalbano to Salamander make uk made stuff positively dire. I find myself looking forward to the latest foreign drama far more than than anything the beeb or other channels produce.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed episode 2 - very gripping. I'm a little bit confused, are the pregnant newspaper reporter and the older editor guy in on it? They keep picking up the phone saying "Peter knows this.....'Peter knows that....." Apart from that I thought it was quality.

The journalists were breaking their big story on Age Haugen the morning after the day he committed suicide. They didn't know he was dead until they saw it (and Peter's pud and quote) in the rival newspaper. So I don't think they are in in anything, they have just done a lot of background research. Peter told them Age spoke to him on the beach and he knows things, so I think what you were quoting is them trying to work out how much he knows.

I think it's great. It's intriguing, exciting, unpredictable - albeit I got that Abraham was asked to sacrifice his own son to prove his loyalty to God and so the dons must presumably be in danger.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else watch it tonight?
    Peter was stirring it and got a beating.

Tomorrow's repeat is after 2am!
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy Episode 2 at all, it seemed all over the place. However, I'll give it another go next Friday to see if there is any improvemt..,,

I thought it was fine apart from some of the hand held 'reality' shots. You didn't know if this was just a standard short or if it was meant to imply that Peter was under observation by a third party if you see what l mean.

The translation's been mostly good in the series so far but there was clearly a bit of deliberate subtitle mistranslation last night so as not to offend delicate British viewers. This happened when Peter was being interviewed by the aggressive police officer and the subtitles had the officer saying 'You're lying' when what he actually said was 'You're full of sh1!'. :o
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll have to watch last night's episode all over again - talk about confusing!!!
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Just finished watching all 3 episodes on catch up and thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt engaged from the get go and actually feel it's of a much higher standard than Salamander which though I enjoyed didn't feel it was nearly as good as The Bridge etc and it's streets ahead of the new BBC4 offering.

Does anyone else get a Stieg Larsson vibe from this at all, with Peter being reminiscent of Mikael Blomkvist and Vibeke of Lisbeth Salander :confused: I certainly did.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    I think I'll have to watch last night's episode all over again - talk about confusing!!!

This summing up by the Guardian should help you - it helped me!

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2014/apr/11/mammon-recap-series-one-episode-three
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else get a Stieg Larsson vibe from this at all, with Peter being reminiscent of Mikael Blomkvist and Vibeke of Lisbeth Salander :confused: I certainly did.

Yes I do - I said that under the Guardian blog after the first episode.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    Yes I do - I said that under the Guardian blog after the first episode.

I see :cool: Thanks for posting that and I totally agree with the blogger about Peter seemingly being determined to be beaten up all night long. That was pretty silly though amusing.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The writer seems as clueless as me. Episode 3 was horrible to watch. So many unexplained events, so many unrecognisable characters, so little plot that could be followed.

I'm close to giving up. I think I have another 30 minutes in me, but if I don't start to enjoy it soon I'll stop wasting my time.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writer seems as clueless as me. Episode 3 was horrible to watch. So many unexplained events, so many unrecognisable characters, so little plot that could be followed
    I agree with that. Episode 4 needs to bring a lot of story threads together, otherwise it will become unwatchable. It seems to have meandered a long way in 3 episodes without really going in any direction that makes the viewer want to continue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Agree with the previous two comments. I love a good crime drama but I'm not connecting with this one. I still get confused with basic things like what's actually happening, who's who, what time period we're in, why does nobody mention the weird grandad, who's shopping whom... I could go on but I'll sound a twit even to myself :D

As for Peter's bizarre, I-speak-in-metaphors speech at the swanky party - hoping to catch out the guilty party at the mention of the word Abraham? Bit of a desperate ploy if so, he'd need the eyes of a fly. And the fact that nobody looked remotely puzzled by it... would that be Normal For Norway then :confused:

Why is the newspaper team given free rein to go through the files of the dodgy businessman's company? He doesn't seem happy about it so it's not like he's invited them in. Why aren't the police doing it?

I can't decide if the show is so subtle and complex it's just way over my head - which happens :blush: - or if the plot and characterisation is handled oddly.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well its better then that one on BBC4 at the moment, I tune out because the BBC4 one was so bad. I usually enjoy these type of shows so BBC4 need to find a replacement.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this series is great. I can't understand why some FMs are saying it's unfathomable. It's obviously a mystery to which we don't yet know the answer but there are huge clues and the plotting is exciting and the characters are strong. I found this latest episode extremely disturbing, the video of the little boy clutching his teddy as the fire took hold was compelling but awful.

While I have been to all the locations of the BBC4 foreign dramas, I have never been to Norway. Oslo is noticeably affluent with a lot of striking modern development - proof that life is comfortable outside of the EU! But not safe if you are corrupt!

I wonder why BBC4 let this one get away. I think it is better than Salamander and miles better than ropey old De Luca which is not even in the same genre as any other series in the BBC4 Sat night slot. BBC4 haven't even shown last year's Swedish Wallander series, the audience for it will have drifted away, what are they playing at? BBC4 has a new head, shared with BBC2. I hope she isn't going to ruin the slot. It's only through that, that the likes of Sky Arts and More4 are showing Euro crime dramas. More please!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get that it's a mystery and I have no problem with plot complexity and ambiguity if I feel it's intentional. The best dramas like Spiral, The Bridge, Wallander etc give just enough clues away to show that's the case, and I can usually pick up on them.

The problem is I don't trust Mammon enough to look forward to some kind of satisfying conclusion. There are too many basic questions that are usually answered by this stage, leaving the way clear for the larger questions to be resolved. But I hope I'm wrong and will keep watching (if there aren't too many more eps!)
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the first two editions but this last one didn't seem to move the plot along at all. Perhaps it has and it will become clear in episode 4 but i as rather non-plussed after a good start. I did watch the first two back to back so maybe that played a part..
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    I think this series is great. I can't understand why some FMs are saying it's unfathomable. It's obviously a mystery to which we don't yet know the answer but there are huge clues and the plotting is exciting and the characters are strong. I found this latest episode extremely disturbing, the video of the little boy clutching his teddy as the fire took hold was compelling but awful.
    I agree. It was a disturbing scene but very powerful.

I'm enjoying this series too and I think it gets better with each episode. It is confusing at times - especially this latest episode, but I don't really mind that. It means I can watch each episode twice and learn something new each time. (With subtitled drama you only have to avert your eyes from the screen for a few seconds to miss a vital piece of dialogue!)

I don't trust the vicar. What normal person keeps spare toothbrushes? And I've learnt this week that Norwegian for "my job" is "me job".