Dark Ring Over Lemmington Spa

MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,974
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-27037579

Just found this story about some unidentified ring in the sky. There's a good picture of it too but no firm explanation yet. Looks like somebody had blown a dirty smoke ring.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leamington Spa.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An appropriate name for the reporter....:)
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Injuns!!!:o

Form the wagons into a circle in the town square!
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The end of the article says...

The eventual answer came in the middle of Tuesday afternoon when a statement from Warwick Castle confirmed that they had been testing fireworks.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just found this story about some unidentified ring in the sky. There's a good picture of it too but no firm explanation yet. Looks like somebody had blown a dirty smoke ring.
    Been updated since you posted, says it was just fireworks.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got to be a smoke ring of some kind. Like exhaust from somehting thats been pouffed into the air, like when blowing smoke rings with a cigarette, then as it loses momentum there are just the right conditions in the air to make it hover.

ETA - Fireworks it is :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sauron has returned!
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

I initially read it before the update, and I'm sure there was some expert quoted who said it couldn't possibly be smoke from fireworks, for all sorts of technical reasons. That bit seems to have disappeared in the latest update! :D
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an ori supergate, Glorious are the Ori, who lead us to salvation, who did fight the evil that would doom us all to mortal sin. Did they defeat the old spirits and cast them out? And now, with the strength of our will, they do call upon us to prevail against the corruption of all unbelievers.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I initially read it before the update, and I'm sure there was some expert quoted who said it couldn't possibly be smoke from fireworks, for all sorts of technical reasons. That bit seems to have disappeared in the latest update! :D

Yep. When I read it, out of all the theories, the only thing that it definitely couldn't be was smoke....

(well, smoke and starlings)
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,974
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

Great. Makes me look like a total lemon. Must be a dirty firework to leave a black ring like that.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    latest 1870 CERN experments on "smoke ring atoms" finally bear fruit after 145 years .......

citation: Lord Kelvin 1867.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    It's an ori supergate, Glorious are the Ori, who lead us to salvation, who did fight the evil that would doom us all to mortal sin. Did they defeat the old spirits and cast them out? And now, with the strength of our will, they do call upon us to prevail against the corruption of all unbelievers.

Didn't SG-1 defeat the Ori?:D
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *ignores the fireworks answer*

We're all gonna diiiiiie! *runs for the bunker* :D
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's an overfried mutant onion ring
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a toroidal smoke ring. Given the cracking weather today it was most likely caused by someone putting a tad too much fuel into a round, or dome shaped, BBQ and taking the lid off quickly. You'd be surprised at how high, how wide and how long they can last in the right weather conditions.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birmingham?
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Interesting, but yes, fireworks effect.
    Citadel wrote: »
    Birmingham?

Leamington Spa, South Warwickshire - between Rugby and Northampton sort of area.
  • sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before i read the end part about fireworks i guessed an electricity substation transformer blew up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Leamington Spa, South Warwickshire - between Rugby and Northampton sort of area.

I was joking. :)