Man United Supporters Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    His comments are spot on, regardless of what any of you Moyes sympathisers think, it's about time somebody said it. What is a disgrace is the rewriting of history by Moyes and most of the dipshits in the media which have looked to remove any blame from Moyes and blame it on our so called shit squad. Yeah Fergie would have struggled with this squad, you ****ing clown Moyes.

‘United’s squad is bigger and better than people are trying to make out.’
    He added: ‘Who are these United veterans? Rio Ferdinand? How many games has Rio played? Not many and Ryan Giggs hasn’t played many, either.
    ‘You could look at Chelsea and say they are more of an ageing squad. In football, not everything is straightforward — there’s no black and white.

‘An ageing squad if you win becomes an experienced squad with know how. If you lose, it becomes the players have no legs. It’s something in between those extremes.
    ‘You look at Chelsea, title contenders, but squad-wise worse than United.’
    Forum Member
    I'm getting hacked off too - because it's not true. I've asked for evidence and none has been presented apart from the sniping of one ex-coach and Ross Barkely's straightforward opinion on one difference between Martinez and Moyes.

Oh and for you MP.

Leighton Baines...
    They both have things they are really good at but with the current manager, he's ultra-positive. He takes the positive from every single scenario.

'That's been the big thing for me: the difference in the style of play, committing to that and not feeling like we have to adapt to the opposition.
    He also spoke about the Champions League from the start. He didn't shy away from it. He came in straight away and set the bar high.
    'We might have got away with a fairly ordinary season - the changeover with the new manager, a transitional season - but he didn't want to accept that.'

Ross Barkley...
    Roberto Martínez has come in and given everyone confidence," the 20-year-old told Match of the Day magazine. "He's a positive man and doesn't say anything negative.

"He's similar to David Moyes as they both like to take over the training session and be the main man, but Martínez is more tactical. We do a lot more tactical work which is good for me because I'm young and still learning."

Tim Howard...
    “Not much,” said goalkeeper Tim Howard when asked the extent to which they have focused on their opponents. “We work on ourselves. It is a difference. “He [Martinez] will have some specific areas in which he thinks Tottenham are weak, or Sunderland and Crystal Palace for example are weak and we will train on trying to exploit them.

“That is what our training sessions will be about as opposed to, ‘Here is what they are going to do to hurt us and this is what we are going to do to defend against them’.

“That is not in the manager’s nature. The way his mind works, it is like movie, ‘A Beautiful Mind’.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What movie would Moyes be?
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What movie would Moyes be?

Dunno, but the title would almost certainly involve the word 'Try'
    Forum Member
    Salo as Moyes has been forcing shit on us all season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GVV7L66xh4

Might not want to watch that if you're sensitive.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Dunno, but the title would almost certainly involve the word 'Try'

'Try Hard'?

Willis would make a crap Moyes, though.
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The very same Leighton Baines who according to 'sources'wanted to move to Manchester United whilst Moyes was here. Because everything in the garden is rosy now, suddenly is as happy as a pig in shit

Yes we,ve had a shit season, I don't think anyone here, including the so called Moyes apologists would argue any different but let's not get too carried away with all the everything is so much more beautiful now that's coming out of Everton.

They've still won the square route of bugger all despite all this barcelonaesque football.

PS Jim 'Try Hard' that's very good.:D
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    The very same Leighton Baines who according to 'sources'wanted to move to Manchester United whilst Moyes was here. Because everything in the garden is rosy now, suddenly is as happy as a pig in shit

Yes whats the issue?
    He was faced with joining Man Utd last summer which was a big step up, he fancied it. The deal didn't go through and he had a better season with Everton than he would have had if he had moved.

He is happy.

Makes sense to me.
  • toastie15toastie15 Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Titanic
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/18/david-moyes-everton-roberto-martinez

David Moyes logic

Everton, doing well because of him
    Manchester United, doing badly because of Fergie

The guy is actually sitting there and stating that Everton are doing well because of the squad he left at Everton and at the same time claiming he is doing poorly because of the squad he has been left at United and people are still defending him after more of this absurdity. We should be praising Martinez for actually having the balls to come out and say how much bollocks the "poor squad" cretins really talk.

It's funny that now if we stick with Moyes and finish fourth next season it'll be viewed as some sort of achievement, in the space of a few months Moyes has managed to lower expectations so much that finishing fourth would now be deemed a good season, ****ing gollum.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mata:

"I have no doubt about it. When I joined, in all my conversations with the board and the manager about next season, they were confident about getting the right players."

Well I hope that confidence turns into actual happenings!

Words are cheap, actions mean far more!
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/18/david-moyes-everton-roberto-martinez

David Moyes logic

Everton, doing well because of him
    Manchester United, doing badly because of Fergie

The guy is actually sitting there and stating that Everton are doing well because of the squad he left at Everton and at the same time claiming he is doing poorly because of the squad he has been left at United and people are still defending him after more of this absurdity. We should be praising Martinez for actually having the balls to come out and say how much bollocks the "poor squad" cretins really talk.

It's funny that now if we stick with Moyes and finish fourth next season it'll be viewed as some sort of achievement, in the space of a few months Moyes has managed to lower expectations so much that finishing fourth would now be deemed a good season, ****ing gollum.

Spot on and there are a long line of frankly idiots who have bought into it hook line an sinker and will be delighted to have seen him spend £200m in total by the start of next season just to make us top 4 competitive.
    Well I hope that confidence turns into actual happenings!

Words are cheap, actions mean far more!

Id rather they were talking about getting the right manager.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Spot on and there are a long line of frankly idiots who have bought into it hook line an sinker and will be delighted to have seen him spend £200m in total by the start of next season just to make us top 4 competitive.

Id rather they were talking about getting the right manager.

Since it might seem that Moyes is here past the summer, we might as well back him, and see what happens next season, all the negativity is beginning to be a little tiresome really.

Yes we have had a really bad season, no-one is going to deny that bit, but with a new season comes a fresh start, all the teams start level on 0 points, so until something goes wrong, then why not be a little more optimistic?

The summer dealings will of course play a huge role in people's thoughts and options before the season starts, so I just hope that by the time at the very latest the window shuts, we have a squad that we can be at least reasonably confident with.

If we change manager, then again, hopefully we bring one in, that most (as I don't think that it is possible to please everyone) will be happy with, if not, then we should at least see where things are headed before we start getting on his back.

This is not me being a "Moyes apologist", or anything like that, this is just me, wishing to see a bit more optimism, that is all, we still have the tools to have a good season next year, hopefully that will happen, but I am not willing to write things off, or poo poo our manager just because of this season, that is all.

Yes people have the right to be on his back, that is fine, (he hasn't really proved or deserved any positive feedback so far), I am only sharing my views that is all, a lot can change between now and this time next season (in a lot of ways).
    Forum Member
    Since it might seem that Moyes is here past the summer, we might as well back him, and see what happens next season, all the negativity is beginning to be a little tiresome really.

Yes people have the right to be on his back, that is fine, (he hasn't really proved or deserved any positive feedback so far), I am only sharing my views that is all, a lot can change between now and this time next season (in a lot of ways).

Yeah lets back him the way you did and demonstrate your level of positivity which IIRC equated to arguing the toss with anyone who had a bad word to say about him right up to Xmas and then completely turning on him and the club as a whole after Xmas, calling Man Utd and Moyes a joke a disgrace and an embarrassment among other things. Now we are back to "lets not be negative and lets back the manager"? Ah right i see. Could we get a couple of weeks notice before you do your next 180 and go back to hating him while pretending what went before didn't happen?
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah lets back him the way you did and demonstrate your level of positivity which IIRC equated to arguing the toss with anyone who had a bad word to say about him right up to Xmas and then completely turning on him and the club as a whole after Xmas, calling Man Utd and Moyes a joke a disgrace and an embarrassment among other things. Now we are back to "lets not be negative and lets back the manager"? Ah right i see. Could we get a couple of weeks notice before you do your next 180 and go back to hating him while pretending what went before didn't happen?

Its the prerogative of any football fan to be optimistic going into every new season and then revert to pessimism when things go wrong. Thats how i am every season with my team and how most fans i know act.
    Forum Member
    Batdude you are ten times worse than any Moyes apologist, at least they have an opinion, however wrong it may be. You have no opinion of your own and change it depending on how you feel the narrative is playing out.

As has just been pointed out, you have just spent months calling the club a disgrace and embarrassment at any and every opportunity only to rock up back on DS acting like it never happened, problem for you is, none of us forget what you have posted.
    Forum Member
    simonl87 wrote: »
    Its the prerogative of any football fan to be optimistic going into every new season and then revert to pessimism when things go wrong. Thats how i am every season with my team and how most fans i know act.

So you think its normal to tell everyone how much of a chance Moyes needs to be given right up to Xmas then flick a switch and turn on the man and the club for the remaining half season until a month before the season ends when you start telling people that their negativity is "tiresome" and the manager deserves a chance?

I may have been anti-Moyes from the beginning but when the guy who has been telling you that he needs 3 years to put his own stamp on the team for half a season suddenly starts calling the club and manager a disgrace and embarrassment that renders any of the previous discussions on the subject completely redundant.

Thats really not the same as hoping for the best in August when the season starts.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,036
    Forum Member

Sounds like Dixon on our thread, another walking contradiction. Except he slates people for the entire time they're at the club and hoping for their exit, then once they've left they suddenly become the best thing since sliced bread and much better than who we now have.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you think its normal to tell everyone how much of a chance Moyes needs to be given right up to Xmas then flick a switch and turn on the man and the club for the remaining half season until a month before the season when you start telling people that their negativity is "tiresome" and the manager deserves a chance?

I may have been anti-Moyes from the beginning but when the guy who has been telling you that he needs 3 years to put his own stamp on the team for half a season suddenly starts calling the club and manager a disgrace and embarrassment that renders any of the previous discussions on the subject completely redundant.

Thats really not the same as hoping for the best in August when the season starts.

Maybe they are tired of their own negativitity themselves. Im sure Batdude can defend his position better then i can. Just thought you were a bit harsh but i'm not a regular reader of the Man United thread.
    Forum Member
    Sounds like Dixon on our thread, another walking contradiction. Except he slates people for the entire time they're at the club and hoping for their exit, then once they've left they suddenly become the best thing since sliced bread and much better than who we now have.

Pretty much.

Now i don't care if someone changes their mind every day of the week, thats their prerogative, but what annoys me is when you have someone arguing with your every point for months and then randomly suddenly changing their opinion in a heartbeat without explanation. Now we have the same person who said terrible things about the club for the last 3 months telling me that negativity is "tiresome" for no real reason than just to take issue for the sake of it as if the last years contradictions didn't exist.
    Forum Member
    simonl87 wrote: »
    Maybe they are tired of their own negativitity themselves. Im sure Batdude can defend his position better then i can. Just thought you were a bit harsh but i'm not a regular reader of the Man United thread.

You are fully entitled to your opinion and to express it, not a problem at all. As i say, he has the right to his opinion but when he argues with EVERY point i make and then switches his opinion, it becomes tiresome.

i said Moyes was the wrong man from day one. He would quote every post i made on the subject saying how we needed to get behind the manager and give him time etc etc etc, now he did this for every post i made on this topic and every discussion that was had on here. Then completely randomly he changed to the "Moyes must go" mantra with no explanation. That then equally randomly became a venomous attack on the club and Moyes using words like "joke", "disgrace" and "embarrassment", far worse than stuff others who thought Moyes was the wrong man was saying. Then today he quotes my post and says my negativity is tiresome just because i have had the sheer audacity to have an opinion, stick to it and back it up with argument. Yeah that bugs me TBH and maybe that makes me react harshly or at least in a way that people will perceive as harsh.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Oh and for you MP.

Leighton Baines...

Ross Barkley...

Tim Howard...

This needs to stop. Really. Kingjeremy, have a read of those comments you posted. Hardly the shellacking that Flukie keeps suggesting are they? And one more time for the hard of reading, let's get it clear. I'm am not a Moyes apologist as much as I am a criticiser of those who had unrealistic expectations of Moyes given his career to date AND the squad. Two areas where most of us agreed before a ball was kicked is that he wasn't the man for the job. And that we needed reinforcements. Where we differ is that I switched off about two games in and could therefore look for the small positives that might happen over the season and others didn't and their hopes have crashed and burned. So now (it seems to me) it becomes an excercise in lumping all the blame on Moyes, despite the turgid performance of so many players this season. Of course, it's everybody's right to deal with the season the way they see fit and I reserve the right to argue with it.

Anyway, as we clearly have defensive problems it nice to see in my weekly united email that these guys: Saidy Janko, Reece James, Charni Ekangamene are all defenders and all in the running for reserve team player of the year. An award won by no other than young Adnan last year. Anyone know much about them? How far are they away from first-team play? Over to you batdude.....
    Forum Member
    If the same players who performed so well last season suddenly all start looking lost and turning in shite performances then the blame lies at the manager's feet, it's his job to get the best out of the players he has, so yes I do lay the blame almost solely at his feet.

I'll cheer up when this excuse making, negative buffoon leaves the club.
    Forum Member
    And one more time for the hard of reading, let's get it clear. I'm am not a Moyes apologist as much as I am a criticiser of those who had unrealistic expectations of Moyes given his career to date AND the squad. Two areas where most of us agreed before a ball was kicked is that he wasn't the man for the job. And that we needed reinforcements. Where we differ is that I switched off about two games in and could therefore look for the small positives that might happen over the season and others didn't and their hopes have crashed and burned. So now (it seems to me) it becomes an excercise in lumping all the blame on Moyes, despite the turgid performance of so many players this season. Of course, it's everybody's right to deal with the season the way they see fit and I reserve the right to argue with it.

So you effectively gave up after two games but its (At least in part) because of the players? So do you think you would have done this under the previous manager? If the answer is "no" then you ARE being a Moyes apologist whether you like it or not. Why are you looking for "small positives", since when did that become our goal as a football club?

What were the positives BTW? The new kit is nice? The grass is a lovely colour of green? Or are we saying "oh well we actually beat a relegation-threatened team this time, we'd have lost that game before Xmas" is now a positive?

You have dropped your standards in line with the manager, you have been hoodwinked. You will celebrate top 4 next season if we get there after spending another £150m as if it is success and you have already forgotten what went before.

What Moyes is doing here, and please think about this, is taking a squad of title winners and turning it into a 7th place side so that if he gets us up to 4th next year its seen as a success. It isn't. He has just lowered the bar by so much that what was once disappointing and unheard of will become a good thing.

This league is not amaze balls this season. The standard have not rocketed. Our team and manager of last season would have won this league again this season and still be called below par.
  • Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes we have had a really bad season, no-one is going to deny that bit, but with a new season comes a fresh start, all the teams start level on 0 points, so until something goes wrong, then why not be a little more optimistic?

The summer dealings will of course play a huge role in people's thoughts and options before the season starts, so I just hope that by the time at the very latest the window shuts, we have a squad that we can be at least reasonably confident with.

If we change manager, then again, hopefully we bring one in, that most (as I don't think that it is possible to please everyone) will be happy with, if not, then we should at least see where things are headed before we start getting on his back.

This is not me being a "Moyes apologist", or anything like that, this is just me, wishing to see a bit more optimism, that is all, we still have the tools to have a good season next year, hopefully that will happen, but I am not willing to write things off, or poo poo our manager just because of this season, that is all.

Let me ask you this....Moyes is 50, he has always played defensive dour football - why would he change now??
This discussion has been closed.