Options

Watch gets the rights to all 5 seasons of Babylon 5

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    I've been looking for legit and less-legit ways to get even just the first season of this to give it a try. Eventually I found I could buy single episodes on iTunes for £1.49 a pop. Worth it?

The first season DVDs are £9 on Amazon - even if you end up not liking it, £9 is next to nothing.....

Link
  • Options
    zantarouszantarous Posts: 2,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a blast from the past, clicking that link tells me I ordered that item on 21st October 2002 has it been that long and a lot cheaper I am sure I paid £45.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zantarous wrote: »
    What a blast from the past, clicking that link tells me I ordered that item on 21st October 2002 has it been that long and a lot cheaper I am sure I paid £45.

Yeah - pretty sure I'd have been camped outside of HMV for that one. :D
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zantarous wrote: »
    You really won't get much from a single episode, B5 is a slow burner and its genius is in the detail, sometimes you are not even aware of a significant event until a few episodes down the line. I recently watched the pilot (special edition) and was amazed at how well after all these year it still holds up and flows really well but that is due to all the foreshadowing.

If that is the first episode someone watches it might put them off, but if you have staying power and want to see a epic 5 year story then go for it just don't expect instant gratification.

I agree. I was put off from Babylon 5 at first. It was my own fault. I watched the pilot and thought "how boring". But then i went back as i knew i never gave it a far go and by about episode 8 or so, i had my found my new love. I spent all of Jan of this year watching the complete series and It will remain one of my most brilliant television experiences of my life.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    A new convert! :)

I have been a huge fan of Star Trek since childhood and the original series. I still am. However, Babylon 5 replaced it as my all time favourite TV show especially as Voyager and the first three seasons of Enterprise were so dire. Since then, only the rebooted Battlestar Galactica has come close.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the final episode Airs on watch tomorrow night even though I have them all on DVD I still watched them on watch. I wonder if the short lived crusade will get aired on watch soon as they are showing all the B5 TV movies at the moment late on Sunday nights and the last one A call to arms is sort of a pilot for that show.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    So the final episode Airs on watch tomorrow night even though I have them all on DVD I still watched them on watch. I wonder if the short lived crusade will get aired on watch soon as they are showing all the B5 TV movies at the moment late on Sunday nights and the last one A call to arms is sort of a pilot for that show.

I didn't know they were showing the films on Sundays.......:o

I've missed any that they've shown up to now and to be honest I'm not going to stay up that late to watch them so I hope they repeat them at a more reasonable time some time in the future.......
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I didn't know they were showing the films on Sundays.......:o

I've missed any that they've shown up to now and to be honest I'm not going to stay up that late to watch them so I hope they repeat them at a more reasonable time some time in the future.......

I found out about it sort of by accident as my series links to the main show keep linking to them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruins the flow with WATCH airing the films after the season 5 finale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They were never really part of the flow. They were made alongside series 5 for TNT and are standalone stories. The exception is "In the Beginning" which straddles the series up to "Sleeping in Light". "A Call to Arms" serves as a lead-in to the follow up series, "Crusade".

This is a link to The Lurker's Guide - a useful resource for any B5 fan: :)
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    They were never really part of the flow. They were made alongside series 5 for TNT and are standalone stories. The exception is "In the Beginning" which straddles the series up to "Sleeping in Light". "A Call to Arms" serves as a lead-in to the follow up series, "Crusade".

This is a link to The Lurker's Guide - a useful resource for any B5 fan: :)
    http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countries/us/eplist.html

True, but because they slot in season 5, it would create some sort of flow.
    Oh well.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    A new convert! :)

I have been a huge fan of Star Trek since childhood and the original series. I still am. However, Babylon 5 replaced it as my all time favourite TV show especially as Voyager and the first three seasons of Enterprise were so dire. Since then, only the rebooted Battlestar Galactica has come close.

QFT about B5, Star Trek, Voyager, Enterprise and Battlestar.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    Sleeping in Light last night and I bawled like a baby twice
    once when they were discussing those who'd died whilst at dinner, especially after Vir's speech about Londo and secondly when the station is blown up, the music is brilliant and I love the little touch of JMS turning out the lights.

Quite a melancholy end to the show which reflected perfectly the way I was feeling about Babylon 5 finishing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The finale is simply beautiful. One of the best series finales i have seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The finale is simply beautiful. One of the best series finales i have seen.

Quite a rarity in TV land. Even shows that have a finale (and don't get cancelled abruptly before the story can be finished) often have cr!p endings (I'm looking at you, "Lost" and "Voyager").
  • Options
    TPKingTPKing Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Yep a good nice ending and having read and not knowing at the time Straczynski was actually there putting his final bit in to finish the show made it even better.

Sheridan going out for a drive... brilliant ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Favourite finale of all time. Simple as.

It's the emotional end/closure that the series needed - not another FX extravaganza. The tone was simply, perfect.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Just a kinda shame that some of the impact is lost by about 3 episodes of goodbyes beforehand.

I didn't even notice the card over Marcus' name before.
    I assumed he was DEAD dead but from the title card in the Credits it seems Ivonava ordered he was cryogenically frozen "pending new resuscitation technologies"

I guess my old TV wasn't good enough to pick up that detail :p

With regards to the movies, only really In the Beginning is worth watching.
    Thirdspace and A Call to Arms are nice firework displays with not much plot.
    River of Souls is just plain boring, I've never had any inclination to rewatch it.

I wonder why JMS even thought they were a good idea.
    Making 3/4 stand alone movies during production of the final season...:confused:
  • Options
    TPKingTPKing Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Just a kinda shame that some of the impact is lost by about 3 episodes of goodbyes beforehand.

You do have a point. I found the episode before more emotional especially when Sheridan turned the ship round and saluted to the crew who was left on Babylon 5 and the goodbyes to crew who left at the same time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I didn't even notice the card over Marcus' name before.
    I assumed he was DEAD dead but from the title card in the Credits it seems Ivonava ordered he was cryogenically frozen "pending new resuscitation technologies"

I guess my old TV wasn't good enough to pick up that detail :p

With regards to the movies, only really In the Beginning is worth watching.
    Thirdspace and A Call to Arms are nice firework displays with not much plot.
    River of Souls is just plain boring, I've never had any inclination to rewatch it.

I wonder why JMS even thought they were a good idea.
    Making 3/4 stand alone movies during production of the final season...:confused:

I think the idea of those movies was more on TNT's part.
    But how they managed 22 episodes plus 4 movies all in one year is something i would like to know. The X files struggled doing just one movie when they were doing season 5.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would agree that only really In the Beginning is necessary. It's great contextual content.

Personally I thought the other decent one was A Call to Arms - especially in setting up the premise for Crusade.

Of the other two - I really liked the Lovecraftian tone of Thirdspace. River of Souls - Martin Sheen, what a waste..... :(
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Soooooo...

Watch has quietly dropped B5 it seems.

Guess that's it for another while then...:(