Top Of The Pops 1979 (BBC4)

Comments

• Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Yes, it was presented by Jimmy Savile so it won't be broadcast.

How appropriate on 3rd May 1979!

Jimmy Savile and Mrs Thatcher. Apparently he spent every Christmas that she was PM at Chequers, therefore just a few months from his first visit in 1979. A current TOTP presenter hobnobbing with the serving Prime Minister seems very bizarre when you think about it. That man must have had more powers than Uri Geller, Paul Daniels, Derren Brown and Harry Houdini combined!
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Yes, it was presented by Jimmy Savile so it won't be broadcast.

The tracklisting on 3 May 1979 was:

GONZALEZ – I Haven’t Stopped Dancing Yet (over charts)
    THE UNDERTONES – Jimmy Jimmy
    ABBA – Does Your Mother Know
    M – Pop Muzik
    THE DICKIES – Banana Splits
    PEACHES & HERB – Reunited (Legs & Co)
    THE POLICE – Roxanne
    MIKE OLDFIELD – Guilty
    ART GARFUNKEL – Bright Eyes
    WINGS – Goodnight Tonight (over end credits)

Couldn't they just clip him out and show the rest?
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't they just clip him out and show the rest?

Apart from Dickies and Mike Oldfield, all of these get repeated on the 17th of May episode shown week after next.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a good episode tonight, although better to come. Actually like Hooray Hooray, It's a Holi-Holiday! Better than some other Boney M's songs. And Knock on Wood sounded very 80s for the time. The audience from TopPop looked like the TOTP audience three years later!
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Eyes Without A Face is one of my fave eighties songs! :)

Yes one of mine too! :)
    Forum Member
    Is it me or does Boney M's Holi - Holiday song have the same backing track virtually, as Brown Girl in the Ring? :o
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was making my way to the Byzantium Romantic fiction section in the library, as you do, when my eye alighted on a book on the Pan's People/Legs & Co. personnel through the years , and the girl's recollections of a certain lecherous Mr. Savile are revealing, if not that unsurprising.

It should be said it was written after his death, sadly, as has been obvious throughout the whole sorry saga , no-one at the BBC was prepared to denounce, discipline or sack him, what hold did he have over them ?
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw a picture of him with Cherry and Ruth from Pan's People and he is leering at Ruth's arse, she has satin shorts on. Evil old pervert
    Forum Member
    I have a book on TOTP from a few years back and it said Legs & co found Jimmy Savile one of the more friendly Presenters!!
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Quite a good episode tonight, although better to come. Actually like Hooray Hooray, It's a Holi-Holiday! Better than some other Boney M's songs. And Knock on Wood sounded very 80s for the time. The audience from TopPop looked like the TOTP audience three years later!

The performances we saw tonight for both Amii Stewart and Boney M, were from "Disco in the snow", some kind of disco-themed seaside special style production that was filmed in Switzerland (hence the Swiss Flag that is in vision to the right of the stage).
  • darren1090darren1090 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Do we see the proper Amie Stewart video at any point, the one with her in the headdress & the video effects?

No, sadly. We get a Legs & Co version two weeks later (that we'll see next week due to the aforementioned 03/05/79 being Yewtreed). The song reached its peak a week later and then fell.

The video of her follow up hit, "Light my fire/137 Disco Heaven" (not a double A-side, but a medley) was shown on Top of the Pops, but annoyingly will also be Yewtreed. So we'll only get her performance of the song from "Disco in the snow", recorded on the same day as her Knock on Wood performance we saw tonight.
  • corriandercorriander Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Neil Diamond, Forever in Blue Jeans: was on through the rundown of the top thirty. Good song but hardly I'm a Believer.

Generation X, Valley of the Dolls; one of my favourite all time tracks. We've had Into the Valley this year. Tennyson wrote about the four hundred going into the "Valley of Death" in the Charge of the Light Brigade. Only this time it is the "gang of four" (the pop group maybe? Over the last thirty five years I have sung this track many a time. Lucky you for not hearing me do it.

Supertramp: quite a contrast. Although I loved Breakfast in America, I really loved their earlier, less commercial tracks, like Give a Little Bit and Bloody Well Right (very popular in the US that one, even in the early 1980s).

Eruption, One Way Ticket to the Blues. Have we had I Can't Stand the Rain yet? This is from the same stable as Boney M. A Neil Sedaka song. Like many of his songs, slight but can bring a tear to the eye. :cry:

Siouxie and the Banshees: OMG. Best record tonight by a mile for me. I just remember it from the time but have forgotten how good this is. Original. Signs that she'd sustain a long career. Happy House must be coming up soon. :)

Racey: enough was said about this two weeks ago. I now feel sorry for them for not having more hits. It is pretty harmless fun I suppose. Sentiment is a bit dated. See the Monks:confused:

Amii Stewart, Knock on Wood. Eddie Floyd and David Bowie did this, but this really seemed a disco classic.

Boney M: Hooray Hooray It's a Holi Holi Day. Got trashed at the time. I always loved it. In the UK this was probably the start of their decline when it got badly reviewed. It was the first single off the Oceans of Fantasy album. An old Shirley Temple number. There were other good tracks on that such as Going Back Home and El Lute, but it is not supposed to be as good as 1978's Night Flight to Venus. I love it.

Monks, Nice Legs, Shame About Your Face. These were former members of the Strawbs, and they were in fact Hudson Ford (if I remember right), who had had hits in 1973 to 1974 with Pick up the Pieces and Burn, baby Burn. I think these were the guys who had written Part of the Union. Great twist at the end.

Bee Gees, Love You Inside Out. The third single from the Spirits Having Flown album will make it to number one in the States later in the year, but stalls at twelve or something like that over here. It is standard fare Bee Gees, but that means it is high quality. Another neat lyric. That is the pattern of the week. Interesting lyrics.

Bright Eyes. Love it but we did not get much more of it than before.:(

Remember When: fade out: nostalgia seems suddenly not quite 1979, as Showaddywaddy have their first single in three years not to make the top ten.:o
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Don't we get Gotta Go Home later in the year! A brilliant Boney M song that - ending on a high! :)

I loved it at the time and over the years it has become my fave. It only made number twelve here I believe, so missed the top ten, but it should have got higher. Love it.:)
    Forum Member
    He DOES look like Tommy Steele...take your Little White Bull and shove it Ratso..

Tommy Steele was/is way more handsome and better looking. Ah yes: What a Mouth/What a North and South. A precursor of Nice Legs, Shame About Your Boat race.:o
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Terrific song by Gen X. Valley of the dolls. They did some good stuff. I remember a lot of new wave compilation albums around at that time. I bought 'Street Level' which had this track. Public image,Walk in the park..Banana splits,sound of the suburbs,denis. Great stuff.
    Amii Stewart was good, Supertramp ace song. Hate bright eyes....yuck!...Racey was fun. Cant wait for two tone, mod, reggae, electronic coming up later in the year. Good times
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    1979 best year
  • maycontainnutsmaycontainnuts Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Yay! Siouxsie And The Banshees. The best song on TOTP tonight.
    Must just be me then that thought it was rubbish then and still sounds rubbish today
  • ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this show a few times lately, courtesy of UKGold, but can't say I paid particular attention to the Amii Stewart performance. Will have to check it out again for the bad dancing!
    Richard Gower has surely got to be the most smuggest man ever to appear on TOTP, but I do think there's something almost hypnotic about the Racey performances. You don't want to watch, but can't help it!
    Definitely the best song of the show for me was the the Bee Gees, but why couldn't they at least bother to make a vid if they can't be bothered to show up at TOTP.
    Hope the banned show turns up online, as it was on UKGold.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Here's Amii Stewart performing Knock on Wood on TOTP in 1985 at the start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZzGFJLn5K4
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SgtRock wrote: »
    Siouxsie & The Banshees stuck out like a sore thumb in that episode.

Have to admit, I still like Bright Eyes. Couldn't listen to a whole Art Garfunkel solo album, but his voice is wonderful in small doses.

I don't think that Banshees single was as good as some of their others (particularly 'Christine' and 'Spellbound'), but I think they were a cut above most other punk bands.

I think Art's voice is wonderful in big doses. I have his Breakaway album from 1975 (on vinyl and CD). My then boyfriend gave me the vinyl version in 1981, and I still enjoy hearing it today. A bit before my time, but I'm also a big Simon & Garfunkel fan.
  • LayzeegoatLayzeegoat Posts: 1,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darren1090 wrote: »
    The performances we saw tonight for both Amii Stewart and Boney M, were from "Disco in the snow", some kind of disco-themed seaside special style production that was filmed in Switzerland (hence the Swiss Flag that is in vision to the right of the stage).

I found some of the bad dancing in the background during the Amii Stewart number most entertaining!
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Don't we get Gotta Go Home later in the year! A brilliant Boney M song that - ending on a high! :)

Gotta Go Home is one of those songs,like Union City Blue, that sounds a lot better now than it did at the time. I think its because we've become much more used to songs that have rhythm and percussion high up in the mix.

The keyboard player at the start of this performance is in a class of is own in his appearance! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EjLWh2150I
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Whilst we're on the subject of Boney M, this performance from Italian TV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_T3x8qBoic is both a great performance of Rasputin but also leaves me wishing I could speak italian. The host is in a class of his own when it comes to bizarreness and, whatever he's saying to Boney M, the audience find it hilarious!
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I just saw a picture of him with Cherry and Ruth from Pan's People and he is leering at Ruth's arse, she has satin shorts on. Evil old pervert

I think you'll find quite a large percentage of the male UK population (and probably a small percentage of the female UK population) enjoy 'leering' at Pan's People's arses. That doesn't automatically make them 'evil old perverts'.
  • SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Layzeegoat wrote: »
    I don't think that Banshees single was as good as some of their others (particularly 'Christine' and 'Spellbound'), but I think they were a cut above most other punk bands.

I think Art's voice is wonderful in big doses. I have his Breakaway album from 1975 (on vinyl and CD). My then boyfriend gave me the vinyl version in 1981, and I still enjoy hearing it today. A bit before my time, but I'm also a big Simon & Garfunkel fan.

I love Simon & Garfunkel - I tried listening to a few Art solo albums years ago, but found them a bit too "floaty" and one-paced. He has a great voice but needs decent material to showcase it at its best.
This discussion has been closed.