RE 'Torchwood' ends run with 5.8 million

AndiCAndiC Posts: 360
Forum Member
I think the show is in a open situation , although it has been stated it has been axed.

Several TV companies in other countries pulled out during the second series. including Australia.

I think if it does come back it will be based on the success of the last series and more importantly success in the US. This could be why it was moved to the bbc one.

On a sad note because it was moved to BBC one it gained a lot more new fans who could now possibly be left very unhappy after missing out on such a great show.

Like my parents who had never heard of it and enjoyed their first experience of torchwood.

I was starting to enjoy Torchwood more than most DR Who episodes from the last two series (which to be honest is turning into kids tv)

Please bring back Torchwood and make it more darker, gory, swearing, etc etc
We need a good adult sci fi !

Comments

• Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Where has it been said it's been axed?
  • JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the success (or lack of) of the show in the US will be very important in deciding whether it gets another run. Certainly not the deciding factor anyway.

EDIT: Also, more gore and swearing would be a step backwards for the show. That's not adult, it's childish. The darker themes were what made this third series so good, I desperately hope they don't go back to making old mistakes, after the massive improvements I saw this year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Who said it's been axed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    AndiC wrote: »

I was starting to enjoy Torchwood more than most DR Who episodes from the last two series (which to be honest is turning into kids tv)

Oh my ! You mean nobody warned you ?
    But indeed Doctor Who was turned into a kids' show. There was an announcement quite recently.
    I think it was some time in 1962 or in 1963.
    ;)
  • AndiCAndiC Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Solamenn wrote: »
    But indeed Doctor Who was turned into a kids' show. There was an announcement quite recently.
    ;)

I know that it started off originally as a educational style program for kids.
    But its getting so childish now.

its like the old newsround been presented by the teletubies
  • Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    I don't think DW is getting childish myself - as a family show it has to cater for children, but even at the end of series 4, we have Midnight, Turn Left, Donna's fate - none of which seem childish to me.

Who was it who stated that TW has been axed? I haven't seen anything about that anywhere yet?
    Forum Member
    sonicbiro wrote: »
    Who said it's been axed?

yeah i shouldnt have said axed (papers talking).

I should have said currently there is "no go ahead" for another round.

which was stated by Kai Owen in a interview

Also John Barrowman is a bit miffed at the moment, i wouldn't be surprise if he snubbed it.
    Forum Member
    JonJonB wrote: »
    I don't think the success (or lack of) of the show in the US will be very important in deciding whether it gets another run. Certainly not the deciding factor anyway.

Agreed. How on earth do you figure OP that it would more important than the UK success?

Not that it would be anything to worry about if so.

It's BBC America's best performing show and over there, and it trending thrice on twitter in one week and the poster's they've got up on New York buses will ensure taht continues.
    Forum Member
    Agreed. How on earth do you figure OP that it would more important than the UK success?

BBC seem to worry more about selling programs aboard and sales rights etc.
    Especially with stuff in HD, production costs are much greater.

tv licence revenue doesn't cut it any more its not a sustainable model , BBC has to run like a business.
  • Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    John Barrowman has stated in recent interviews (posted by DS among others) that he will keep playing CJH as long as he is asked to - don't think his presence would be a limiting factor.
    Forum Member
    BBC seem to worry more about selling programs aboard and sales rights etc.
    Especially with stuff in HD, production costs are much greater.

tv licence revenue doesn't cut it any more its not a sustainable model , BBC has to run like a business.

The BBC don't deal with or profit from the foreign sales of their show, their seperate commerical arm BBC Worldwide do.

Same with DVD sales and merchandising which make them more money here than in the US where Who and Torchwood air on a small, niche channels.

So if the show is comissioned based on how much it can make them, surely the UK success is still more important?
  • JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that it would be anything to worry about if so.

It's BBC America's best performing show and over there, and it trending thrice on twitter in one week and the poster's they've got up on New York buses will ensure taht continues.

Oh i'd love to have seen that :D great to hear theres proper promo going on in the US :D.
  • ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    i think its pretty much a smart bet that TW will in fact have a season 4 or 3.2, andy the copper and that covert agent lass will be some how involved with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several TV companies in other countries pulled out during the second series. including Australia.

I thought series 3 was being shown in Australia immediately after it was being shown in the UK.
  • JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DavidG_UK wrote: »
    I thought series 3 was being shown in Australia immediately after it was being shown in the UK.

Yep was it not a Aus promo trailer where we first seen Gwen's scene where she talks about the Doctor .. :)
    Forum Member
    JessicaL wrote: »
    Yep was it not a Aus promo trailer where we first seen Gwen's scene where she talks about the Doctor .. :)

Torchwood actually got axed by two different channels in Australia.

Channel 10 (and shunted to TEN HD), then picked up by ABC2 , I believe neither Ch10 or ABC TV showed series 3.

However, was on Pay TV for a additional fee

Also much has been made about Torchwood being the highest rated show on BBC America,
    hardly anybody watches BBC America to begin with.

Torchwood's highest ratings for BBC America were only about half a million (before season 3)

Dr Who's ratings on Sci-Fi were higher, and even they weren't anything special.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which channels were they?
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Which channels were they?

they were....

Channel 10 (and shunted to TEN HD), then picked up by ABC2 , I believe neither Ch10 or ABC TV showed series 3.

However, was on Pay TV for a additional fee

Channel Ten actually delayed showing season 2 because of poor ratings

(ABC2 currently hold repeat broadcast rights for seasons 1 and 2)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also much has been made about Torchwood being the highest rated show on BBC America,
    hardly anybody watches BBC America to begin with.

Torchwood's highest ratings for BBC America were only about half a million (before season 3)
    Those were the quoted figures for S1, first airing:

http://www.airlockalpha.com/node/4144

http://yourentertainmentnow.com/2007/09/13/torchwood-lights-up-bbc-america-record/

Amongst the highest ratings in its history, and apparently, BBCA's biggest ever hit.

Still, obviously its failing overseas, what with all of these Australian cancellations and pathetic viewing figures on BBCA, we must conclude that it's a goner, even before TW 3 even airs there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they were....
    You edited at the same time as, or after I posted ...
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    You edited at the same time as, or after I posted ...

yeah sorry because i thought someone would ask after posting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah sorry because i thought someone would ask after posting
    No, it's OK, I have done the same thing myself.

Anyway, I found this interview that RTD has done for the States, and there is this bit:
    DAN: Does this mean we can expect more specials like this, or will you go back to doing regular thirteen episodes?

RTD: We literally just don't know yet, because it's just too soon to say. None of us have sat down and had a conversation about it yet. I'm in America at the moment. BBC Wales are just getting ready to start filming Doctor Who. The bosses are in Cardiff, the commissioners are in London, so literally none of us have got together yet. It's too early to say. It did very well, so I'd be hopeful.

and
    [Torchwood has] been more of a success on BBC America than any other show they've got. Doctor Who on SyFy has actually done very well, and in terms of numbers Doctor Who actually does better. But just as this mini-series has pushed Torchwood up to the next level in Britain, I hope it does for BBC America as well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41740
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the show is in a open situation , although it has been stated it has been axed.

I've already made up my mind about Torchwood's "open" situation, but it's got nothing to do with ratings, money or the show being "axed". Of course it's only a theory so I won't bother you with details. We're talking about speculations, mine are just as good as yours.

I have to say one thing though, don't bring Australia (or any other country for that matter) into this discussion. Many TV stations all over the world have made horrible decisions with their presentations of both Doctor Who and Torchwood. If they even bothered to show them in the first place...
    If anything, it's an example of how other countries' treatment of the DW franchise doesn't affect it's continuity.
    Forum Member
    Macek wrote: »
    If anything, it's an example of how other countries' treatment of the DW franchise doesn't affect it's continuity.

I still disagree on this, a shows budget will depend on how well it does.
    The better World wide, the better the budget.

I am also sure that programs that don't do as well world wide become less of a priority to those that do.

especially now it look as if the BBC may possibly have to share its licence revenue.

And DW is a global brand that why they are going for the movie again.

thats also why the last movie was targeted to an American market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    ;)

LOL you got there before me.....I'ts always been childish.....but then it has also coverd many dark adult like areas in episodes like Midnight....before OP starts on me.....