Other drivers hooting at you - does it ever knock your confidence?

Comments

• LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    hehe, no worries, I did wonder if you weren't in the UK before I posted.

My head obviously still isn't...perhaps better leave those car keys where they are this afternoon. :)
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I get hooted that often, but I take note of it when it's my fault and say sorry, but when I 100% know it's not my fault it just makes me laugh and never stir the situation by hand gestures etc as life is too short.

If I was getting them too often (more than once every 2 months or so) then I'd have to question if it's my driving (I do 40k/year and sometimes in London.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fifilapew wrote: »
    Someone bibbed at me the other day cos I was holding up traffic ( on a side st, not a main road ) trying to strap my daughter in her car seat, it was absolutely peeing down with rain, and were it not for the fact that I was outside my sons school with the kids I would have told them to do one, as it was I gave them the look and continued at a slightly more leisurely pace than before.

For some reason people who bib unnecessarily give me serious road rage, far more than drivers making stupid mistakes.

Some people have no patience at all. I would never bib anybody for doing what you did (especially as it was pissing down) It happens outside schools. I used to take a route that ran past a few schools and this happened a lot - but it was still quicker than the high road.

I sometimes slow down so pedestrians can cross a road or get into their cars when it's raining.

Back on topic. I hardly ever use my horn - unless it is to warn someone.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have used my horn once since passing my test (at the beginning of February).

It was my first time on a motorway by myself, I was in the middle lane passing a lorry that indicated and started to pull out on me. I had nowhere to go as there were cars in the fast lane. If I had moved over, I would have hit them. So I hooted the lorry, who then saw me and pulled back over.

In my opinion (and the laws opinion I should think) it is in potentially dangerous situations like that a horn should be used. Not for mild inconveniences, to express an opinion or to say hello to someone you know.

First time someone has used a horn on me was yesterday as detailed above which I think was completely unwarranted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I have used my horn a few times, mainly for people who don't notice the lights have changed green.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Why has the word "bib" been used so often in this thread? I thought that was what a baby put on before supper? :confused:
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why has the word "bib" been used so often in this thread? I thought that was what a baby put on before supper? :confused:

I had never heard the word bib being used in this manner before reading this thread.
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats me, it must be an SE London/ Kent thing because i've never heard it called anything else yet not one other person has used it on here.
    Forum Member
    fifilapew wrote: »
    Thats me, it must be an SE London/ Kent thing because i've never heard it called anything else yet not one other person has used it on here.
    lol, well from now on, your available choices are; Beep, Peep and Toot :p
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol, well from now on, your available choices are; Beep, Peep and Toot :p

They sound like three little ragdollies!!
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just impatient arseholes.

To get home I have to pass under a fly over which is currently being re strengthened or something like that, but its means there are serious road works with traffic lights either side and one lane traffic passing under the bridge at a time. Before you reach the fly over there is a roundabout which is directly before the lights, now I refuse to block a roundabout. I think its bloody rude and causes a hold up. So last week I'm on my way home, lights are on red and there were a few cars in front so I knew that if I pulled across onto the rounabout I;d be blocking the junction so I sat patiently waiting for the lights to change to green, traffic to move so I could go forwards.

After about five minutes some **** behind me starts beeping the horn at me. I Ignore it. It happens again and this time the prick just holds his hand down on the horn for ages. Then the lights changed and the traffic in front moved so I could go on but the dick decided to tailgate me for daring to hold him up!!!:mad:

Many drivers are bullies and I often find that some male drivers enjoy trying to belittle loan females in cars. But he picked on the wrong person that day.
  • Mel1314Mel1314 Posts: 2,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    OP were you over the line before he was, or did you just see him approaching the roundabout?

I was just coming down the road that leads to the roundabout and was already indicating left. He came round the roundabout just as I got to the line, and he was so far away that I thought it would be fine to just carry on going.
    He hooted when he was still quite a way behind me, because just as I looked in my mirror to see if it was definitley him hooting, it took a few moments before he was right behind me. That's when he threw up his hands. Really p*ssed me off actually but have had a good evening so am telling myself to just get over it :)
  • Mel1314Mel1314 Posts: 2,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many drivers are bullies and I often find that some male drivers enjoy trying to belittle loan females in cars. But he picked on the wrong person that day.

Yeah, I have been told (also some people on this thread have said it) that people feel braver in a car when beeping, swearing etc because they're 'protected' in a way.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel1314 wrote: »
    Yeah, I have been told (also some people on this thread have said it) that people feel braver in a car when beeping, swearing etc because they're 'protected' in a way.

Yes this is true. A lot of these people wouldn't say boo to a goose outside of their vehicles, and I bet they'd really shit themselves if some tough bloke got out of the car they'd just honked and approached them:D
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) It's a free for all out there.
    I don't retaliate if someone sounds their horn.I just concentrate on my driving.
    Most road rage is merely macho posturing,like a silverback gorilla thumping his chest.But sometimes road rage can lead to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7959635.stm
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you do something stupid and get hooted at then you gotta be big about it and take it on the chin.

I'm very patient with other drivers, and I rarely use the horn when others pull out in front of me or nudge in front of me in a when two queues of traffic go into one ( as they do ).

I tend to use it for what it was designed for, to warn other road users of my presence, especially in bloody car parks, folk just reverse out of a space without bloody looking behind 'em.
  • U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( I've noticed an ever increasing tendency for people to pull out in front of you at roundabouts and junctions.Even when you're almost passing them,out they come.
    I think maybe there's a school of thought that says 'well he/she won't crash into me,they'll slam on the brakes rather than have an accident.It's worked many times before,so i'll jut keep on doing it'.:mad:
    Maybe they're just day dreaming rubbish drivers.
    Forum Member
    U96 wrote: »
    :) It's a free for all out there.
    I don't retaliate if someone sounds their horn.I just concentrate on my driving.
    Most road rage is merely macho posturing,like a silverback gorilla thumping his chest.But sometimes road rage can lead to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7959635.stm
    Judge John Bevan warned that a custodial sentence was "inevitable", but said he had in mind a term of between two-and-a-half and four-and-a-half years.

For murder :confused:
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    Does it knock my confidence? No.
    Does it make me think they are idiots? Yes. :D
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the mentality of drivers who think parping me will make me exceed the speed limit.

It doesn't. :D

I enjoy a leisurely drive within the legal speed limits, and if that happens to irritate the hell out of an agggressive driver, I enjoy it even more. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    had an idiot in an artic blasting me with his horn today , all because i couldnt get 40 foot of bus into a bay because of other parked vehicles :rolleyes:
  • chanellexchanellex Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick the fingers up at them & shout 'you f*cking pr*ck!'. I always do that. I'm just waiting to be battered lmao.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 363
    Forum Member

I had a guy the other day actually get out of his car and face up to my car! I was all on my lonesome on a petrol station forecourt - god knows what it is about us lone females but they seem to think we can just be trodden all over and spoken to like sh*t.

The two Police Officers that were sent to knock on his door later that day disagreed :-)
    Forum Member
    xHx wrote: »
    I had a guy the other day actually get out of his car and face up to my car! I was all on my lonesome on a petrol station forecourt - god knows what it is about us lone females but they seem to think we can just be trodden all over and spoken to like sh*t.

The two Police Officers that were sent to knock on his door later that day disagreed :-)

*High five*