Tesco Clearing HD Boxes for £30

Comments

• chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    It was fixed at one point. Contacting Arqiva might be an idea.

I have a similar problem on RT with my TV - even though it is deemed incompatible with the IPTV service, the MHEG app captures the up/down buttons despite not doing anything else.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    It was fixed at one point. Contacting Arqiva might be an idea.
    Yes, but I think it's been broken again for some time. I can live without viewing 4Music on the Technika boxes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    I'm a longtime lurker on this thread and am immensely grateful to kasg, chrisy et al for keeping my cheapo boxes up and running.
    I notice that there is now the ability to use the STB to access a webserver. Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible that we might be able to stream BTSport from a PC and view it via the STB on a TV? I used to have an android tablet that I would plug into an HDMI input to the TV, but I don't have it anymore so am currently stuck with watching on a PC.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that there is now the ability to use the STB to access a webserver. Excuse my ignorance, but is it possible that we might be able to stream BTSport from a PC and view it via the STB on a TV? I used to have an android tablet that I would plug into an HDMI input to the TV, but I don't have it anymore so am currently stuck with watching on a PC.

BT sport on a PC uses Silverlight, so you'd have to port that to whatever hardware the Technika uses.
    Forum Member
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    BT sport on a PC uses Silverlight, so you'd have to port that to whatever hardware the Technika uses.

intent, and the NetFront web browser. NetFront supports NPAPI but you'd still need to build it for the intent VP. Also, Silverlight isn't open source, so you'd be building Moonlight instead, which I believe has been discontinued and I don't know if it has enough compatibility to work with BT Sport. Then you'd need to get the Moonlight plugin into the iTrove download tree...

Basically it's a non-starter, but I don't think that was what was being asked anyway.
    Forum Member
    OK, thanks guys.

I guess the clunky solution of a video lead from my laptop to the telly is the only cheapskate solution.

Cheers
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bump!
    Re the streaming channels, tuning to VUTV gives "Unfortunately your Freeview device is not capable of receiving VUTV", and the ones that have closed down show "This service is no longer available". ALL the others, when tuned in without the box being connected to the 'net, display "Your device does support this service but needs to be connected to the internet". This is clearly nonsense, since we know the box is not capable of being upgraded/updated to receive streamed channels.
    Forum Member
    I have lost the remote to one of my Technika STB HD boxes. Has anyone got a spare I could buy from them?

Cheers

Mark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've got two boxes and I'm not actually using one at the moment, so maybe, but there are lots of them on eBay.
    Forum Member
    @kasg

Regarding the eBay ones, I couldn't determine if they were only worked on Technika TVs: I saw a review that mentioned lack of compatibility with the STB.

In addition, 'er indoors just about knew which button to press on the original, hence my desire to replace it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that they are not originals but I think you'd be pretty safe getting one like this, if not you can always return it. I'd rather hang on to mine, really, as if I decide to sell or give away of the currently spare box it makes sense to have a remote with it.
    Forum Member
    I'll give the eBay one a go and see what happens.
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I re-installed my box yesterday and today I tried to access BBC iPlayer and although I can see what is available, nothing will play.
    I get a message telling me that the url cannot be found.

Has something changed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has something changed?
    I do hope not, I have two that are surplus to requirements and I was going to put them on eBay - they might be worth a bit less if iPlayer doesn't work. Mine are disconnected at the moment so hopefully someone else can confirm one way or the other.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have three, but only use (or used) one to access IPlayer.

What colour has the light got to be on the display to indicate the online services are available.

Mine is orange / yellow, which I think is right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All sorted. Working fine now.

I powered down and back up the homeplug and all is well now.

Strange as I would have thought that it would not see what was available on iplayer if not connected to the internet, but it did show what was available.
    Forum Member
    kasg wrote: »
    I do hope not, I have two that are surplus to requirements and I was going to put them on eBay - they might be worth a bit less if iPlayer doesn't work. Mine are disconnected at the moment so hopefully someone else can confirm one way or the other.

The BBC are retiring the "big screen" version of iPlayer. I think this is the one the Technika uses. I'm not sure if the iPlayer-specific web browser on the box is capable of working with the newer one (Jonathan can probably give it a prod and try it, if he can figure out what the URL is).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/posts/New-BBC-iPlayer-for-Connected-TVs-update
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care about the neighbours! :D

No radio hams or short wave listeners near me. I would see the aerials, and I don't see any! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    The BBC are retiring the "big screen" version of iPlayer. I think this is the one the Technika uses.
    Yes, I did wonder whether this change would scupper the Technika STBHDIS2010 boxes. The web page does list "Tesco-Technika (2012)" as being supported so there may be some hope.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I have Technika Smart TV Box in my Bedroom. The BBC iplayer had problems a few months ago. I managed to get a firmware update from here which fixed the problem.

http://www.tescotechsupport.com/downloads/

I hope they continue to provide updates if the new BBC iplayer needs one.

The BBC iplayer stopped playing radio programs on my Sony Bluray player a few months ago. I get a message saying it is not compatible. TV progs are still play ok at present. Sony were not very helpful when I contacted them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viewer66 wrote: »
    I hope they continue to provide updates if the new BBC iplayer needs one.
    They certainly won't be providing any for the STBHDIS2010.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed on my STBHDIS2010 today that iPlayer opens with a grey banner across the top saying that this version will finish in September. Guess that will be the iPlayer end for these boxes. Still, for those of us who bought them on eBay for £20 it was nice to have the free and unofficial (beta) iPlayer upgrade while it lasted. Not so nice for those who paid the full price in Tesco stores for the slightly later versions which promised iPlayer on the box instead of Channel Zero.

Also a final thanks to the small group on here who kept iPlayer access going even after the original sub contractor went under.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that is strictly just to do with the iplayer on this box.
    The BBC are moving to the web based version.

It may well be the end of Iplayer on this box though.
    Forum Member
    I don't think that is strictly just to do with the iplayer on this box.
    The BBC are moving to the web based version.

It's the "big screen" version on all boxes. They are all web-based, the new one just has a different URL. Whether the version of NetFront on the STBHDIS2010 works with the new one is another matter.