Options

Advice On Laptop Please.

tara27tara27 Posts: 2,115
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi. We have been bought a DELL laptop as a thank you present . I have vague memories of bad reports on them,so I'm wondering if we should take it back to the shop and pay the extra for a TOSHIBA or another top brand. Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is taking it back to the shop an option?
  • Options
    freeview_userfreeview_user Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    There are bad reports about every laptop brand. If you like it then that is what matters. I have a Dell netbook and have never *touch wood* had any problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    How is taking it back to the shop an option?

How is not. I don't understand. It was bought yesterday and we have all the paperwork for it .
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tara27 wrote: »
    How is not. I don't understand. It was bought yesterday and we have all the paperwork for it .
    I assumed from your post it was a present. Was just curious.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with Dell. Got a few hundred Dell PCs and laptops at work. I wouldn't say they are particularly unreliable. Lets face it if hey were we wouldn't have been using them for the past decade or so!

In any case if you did take it back to the store there is no reason to expect them to take it from you and swap it for something else. If it is not faulty then they have no obligation at all to do anything with it. If it was bought online then the Distance Selling Regulations could come into play.
  • Options
    Lennie59Lennie59 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Dell is OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've bought umpteen laptops over the years and all of them had bad reports and good reports.

All of them were absolutely fine.

I think the issue about taking it back is just that the shop won't have to accept it if there's nothing wrong with it. If you're going to buy a bigger and better one then I don't see there would be a problem.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Dell's are fine,

Toshiba's are utter shite
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think you have people who love/hate certain makes for whatever reason known only to them.

For example, some people hate Acers but my Acer Ferrari bought in 2005 is a fantastic laptop and still perfectly usable now. I have no plans to change it and I'm a software developer with some pretty demanding requirements.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    NeilyM wrote: »
    I also think you have people who love/hate certain makes for whatever reason known only to them.

For example, some people hate Acers but my Acer Ferrari bought in 2005 is a fantastic laptop and still perfectly usable now. I have no plans to change it and I'm a software developer with some pretty demanding requirements.

I swear by acers,

my whole family have had them and they've lasted for ages with no problems...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Dell. Got a few hundred Dell PCs and laptops at work. I wouldn't say they are particularly unreliable. Lets face it if hey were we wouldn't have been using them for the past decade or so!

In any case if you did take it back to the store there is no reason to expect them to take it from you and swap it for something else. If it is not faulty then they have no obligation at all to do anything with it. If it was bought online then the Distance Selling Regulations could come into play.

I understand the shop (PC World) has no obligation,but I would think that if we are prepared to pay extra money for another one then they would be fine with that.
    But no-one so far has bad mouthed DELL so it looks like it will be staying with us:). Thanks for the replies......all have been appreciated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only reason I would pay more money is for a better specification. Assuming there are no design problems that are often highlighted in multiple reviews, the brand name doesn't really matter.
  • Options
    MobolocoMoboloco Posts: 889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Dell products in general, the laptops seem solid and reliable... not particularly top spec but they do the job just fine and seem to last longer than a lot of other brands.
    The build quality is usually something Dell fanboys pride themselves on.

I actually prefer Acer but having had both (Acer and Dell) laptops i'd love an Acer spec/component laptop in a Dell build.
    All my Acers run hot, with my two Dells the temps are always low and not even requireing a fan-base for long usage.
  • Options
    Jason JAG LawJason JAG Law Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If it is not faulty then they have no obligation at all to do anything with it. If it was bought online then the Distance Selling Regulations could come into play.

Even if it was faulty the contract wasn't with the OP so the shop still would have had no obligation. For the same reason the Distance Selling Regulations (had it been bought online) would have been of no benefit to the OP.
    tara27 wrote: »
    ....but I would think that if we are prepared to pay extra money for another one then they would be fine with that.

Optimisim is such a wonderful asset. But rather than have it dashed, I'm pleased you're going to keep your Dell gift.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Optimisim is such a wonderful asset. But rather than have it dashed, I'm pleased you're going to keep your Dell gift.

Awwww did you buy them the gift:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    Awwww did you buy them the gift:D

Not on this occasion but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not on this occasion but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I do!
    OOH THANKS.....if you do. I won't exchange it. (fingers crossed behind back):)
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 2.5 year old Dell and it hasn't failed me once. If Dells were so shite then government and agencies wouldn't be renewing their contract with them.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    I have a 2.5 year old Dell and it hasn't failed me once. If Dells were so shite then government and agencies wouldn't be renewing their contract with them.

Not sure that's a convincing argument:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    Dell's are fine,

Toshiba's are utter shite

I've had two Toshiba laptops and I can only sing their praises so I guess my experience of them has been different to yours.

What you use any laptop for must mean that some makes and specs are preferable to others.

I had a Dell work one about 6 years back and I wasn't impressed too much but each to their own. One of my daughters has an ACER and she loves it. It does what she wants it to do and she's happy.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I looked at reviews of various makes about 20 months ago, when I was looking to buy a laptop. I think the problem with Dells was not that they were unreliable, but that most were bought direct from Dell, and, if anything did go wrong, then it could be a job to get the fault dealt with.

The fact that customer services was in India didn't make it any easier.

Since it was apparently bought in a shop, then the retailer is responsible for putting right any faults; to be honest, I don't know if it makes a difference that you weren't the purchaser.

As it happens, I bought a Toshiba, and I've had absolutely no problems. Except that I had to replace the battery this week ...mind, I was charging it twice a day!
  • Options
    CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    If only DS had a "Computers" forum.

Oh, look what I found ...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=40
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    If only DS had a "Computers" forum.

Oh, look what I found ...

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Actually ,I did look in there before posting on here.But it was full of technical questions ,most of which were doble-dutch to me to be truthful. I scrolled down the first two pages and found nothing relating to my query, and considering how basic my need is I didn't want to insult the many technical wizards in there with such a simple un-technical question.
    But thank you for your input anyway:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Since it was apparently bought in a shop, then the retailer is responsible for putting right any faults; to be honest, I don't know if it makes a difference that you weren't the purchaser.

It can do as the shop are only legally obliged to do something for the person who they have entered into a contract with.