Options

Distance from a friend

PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
Forum Member
✭✭
Hey,

First of all, some of this might sound a little bit petty. If that's your opinion... back out now, please.

I met a friend, R, through an internet roleplaying forum about eight years ago. We became very close friends. We did everything together. We trusted each-other with everything. She's German and we often visited each-other and became fond of each-other's parents, etc. We talked every night through MSN and I really thought we were going to be friends for decades to come. We even talked about her possibly coming to stay here for a while at uni.

However, starting August 2010 things changed (though I didn't know it yet). I began dating my friend from school. We happened to have booked a holiday away together, as friends, and took it as boyfriend/girlfriend. After that I had more holidays booked so I wasn't online much in August after I started going out with him. However, later in August I missed my boyfriend's birthday so that I could go away with R. He was fine with it. He encouraged it.

I started a teaching job in September. I didn't get home before 7 and I often got home and just fell asleep at the computer because I was so tired. I always apologised.

In February 2011 I moved in with my boyfriend. Literally on the same day my boss dropped a massive bombshell on me that I was likely to fail my NQT year. The next day, abandoning my boyfriend to the new flat all by myself, I went away with R for a week.

From February - June my boss bullied me relentlessly to the point that I was having a panic attack every day and that I did nothing but come home, cry and sleep. I hardly went onto the internet at all then and I didn't see anybody except my boyfriend, who would crawl into bed after me to make sure that I was okay.

In June I found out I was pregnant and decided to have an abortion, which I told my friend about. She disapproved and got quite bitchy about it/offended. I had the abortion in July and was very out-of-sorts after it because I didn't take some of the stuff they offered me and ended up in pain for a week, curled up in bed.

Finally, at the end of July, I was back online "full time" like I used to be, but she only gave me two-word answers to everything. I tried to talk to her but she wouldn't talk. In an attempt to engage her November 2011 I asked her about RPing and she spilled out that she couldn't stand the thought of writing with me, and she said that she was pissed off that I wasn't online for her and that something inside her was "broken and I can't fix it". She said that I had abandoned her for my boyfriend. No matter how much I tried to convince her that he had nothing to do with it she still blames my boyfriend... my bullying, panic attacks, work stress, abortion, and my grandad's terminal illness and death didn't seem to factor into the equation for her at all.

I've continued to be patient with her since then and she seemed to warm up to me so I suggested writing again. She said that she was too busy. Except I saw her a lot posting with random strangers, asking them to write with her for new characters etc so I called her out for lying to me. She still seems very resentful of me.

So, what do I do? I know that I was wrong for neglecting her, but I've been a faithful friend every DAY for almost a decade and I thought we were close enough that she could forgive me for a few months out. I have apologised for neglecting her, a lot. I can't figure out if she's still mad about that or if she's still annoyed about my boyfriend. Oh, and she flat out told me that I have been 'replaced' by two girls who she complained constantly about being bad friends for five years to me!!

How do I get her to warm up to me again? I don't want to turn my back on her like she has me. She's the best friend I ever had and I love her more than I've ever loved my siblings - or my dad, for that matter! My issue isn't about the writing/RPing (that's just a fun hobby). I only brought it up because it's something she lied to me about.

Comments

• Options
    Miss NMiss N Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 19, I moved to where my best friend was at University. We shared a house with a lad who she then started going out with. I hated it and it caused us to fall out. Took us a while to make up but when I grew up a bit, I realised I was just jealous.
    Sounds like your friend is also jealous. How old is she? Thing is, you have to wait her to experience what you have gone through before she will realise she was wrong.
    As for your bullying...that happened to my friend when she was doing her Teacher Training, not nice and I sympathise.
    As for me and the best friend...she is still my best friend and we have never had any other fall out apart from that first time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi, in my opinion with all you have gone through she should have been there for you, regardless of her own opinions she should have supported you 100%. That is what being a real friend is about. Not taking the good and leaving the bad. Is there any way you can meet up face to face for a coffee/lunch/drinks to talk the whole thing over. Much better in my opinion that talking to each other via a text or keyboard. Its easier to make excuses when you don't have to face the person face to face. Sounds like she could be jealous and a bit immature. Sadly long term friendships do come to an end. I have just walked away from a 28 year friendhip as I realised it was a very one way street. I supported my friend through thick and thin then suddenly realised she was never there for me when I needed her. Anyway good luck Psychosis. Keep smiling. x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has she also been going through stuff? Does she know about all the things you've been going through? There is also the possibility that she really disagrees about the abortion and can't see you in the same light again?

If it were me I would write it all down and email her (leaving it a couple of days between composing and sending the email so you can fully get across what you want to say) but then if she doesn't want to be friends then there isn't much you can do - you can't make someone love you (platonically) unfortunately
  • Options
    EarnshawEarnshaw Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    She doesn't sound like much of a friend, has she asked how your are? If she can offer you any more support given what you've been through? It doesn't sound like it at all. I would say that you've already been far too nice to her by explaining why you were aloof, though if she already knew what you were going through, that shouldn't even have been necessary. I would leave her he to it. If she's a true friend, she will reslise she's being unreasonable and come back to you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friendships can be so complicated, often a lot more complicated than relationships.

Has she got issues of her own? Something she's dealing with?
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey OP you've had a really hard time of it haven't you? The more I read your post the more I think she's jealous of your boyfriend and his place in your life. I wonder if the two friends have replaced you since 3 is often a tricky number.. there's always one left out. My first thought was to leave her stew and find someone more supportive or wait for her to calm down, since friendships often change. I have very few friends left in my life from when I was married just because life's events move people on in different directions. As others have said, she might be trying to project her own issues onto your fella.

Do you think it might be a good idea to meet her face to face for a coffee, a meal or something - your treat maybe to clear the air. You've been through loads... I feel cross on your behalf that she's not a better mate but maybe she has things going on.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow she is so selfish. She can't seriously expect you to leave your life for hours every night to talk to her online. If I were you, i'd be annoyed that not only has she not been helpful through your difficult time, but she is actually making it worse by being so incredibly self centered.

If I were you, I would concentrate on your relationship with your boyfriend, who sounds lovely, and your job. Let her come to you if she is a true friend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    If it was me, I'd move on. If she cared about you she'd have made the effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all the responses. Yes, my friend is going through some stuff at the moment. My grandad (who died in November) had cancer three years ago and the month my grandad was 'cured', R's dad got the same (he is an 'old' dad for our age). After my grandad died in November 2011 R's dad was taken ill again :(

He's having surgery this week. I'm trying to be supportive as best as I can because I know what it feels like but it's awkward because she was funny with me before her dad became ill again so now I don't know where the line is between supportive and overbearing, and whether she even wants my support.

I understand what people mean about letting her come to me or moving on, but... I can't stress how much I LOVE my friend! She is the best friend I ever had. Funnily enough, she was the one who scraped me off the floor eight years ago after my previous best friends dumped me and screamed abuse at me because I didn't go to the pub when I had to call an ambulance for my mother.

Honestly if I let go of R and don't fix this I will probably never have another close friend. I'm still not over my friends rejecting me eight years ago and in hindsight I didn't even LIKE them.

Also, it's possible that she is still sore over the abortion :( She is training to be a primary teacher and loves young kids. When I was crying the day I found out I was pregnant she snapped at me for the way I phrased things and said that she would kill to be in my position with a home, the perfect boyfriend and a pregnancy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Thank you for all the responses. Yes, my friend is going through some stuff at the moment. My grandad (who died in November) had cancer three years ago and the month my grandad was 'cured', R's dad got the same (he is an 'old' dad for our age). After my grandad died in November 2011 R's dad was taken ill again :(

He's having surgery this week. I'm trying to be supportive as best as I can because I know what it feels like but it's awkward because she was funny with me before her dad became ill again so now I don't know where the line is between supportive and overbearing, and whether she even wants my support.

I understand what people mean about letting her come to me or moving on, but... I can't stress how much I LOVE my friend! She is the best friend I ever had. Funnily enough, she was the one who scraped me off the floor eight years ago after my previous best friends dumped me and screamed abuse at me because I didn't go to the pub when I had to call an ambulance for my mother.

Honestly if I let go of R and don't fix this I will probably never have another close friend. I'm still not over my friends rejecting me eight years ago and in hindsight I didn't even LIKE them.

Also, it's possible that she is still sore over the abortion :( She is training to be a primary teacher and loves young kids. When I was crying the day I found out I was pregnant she snapped at me for the way I phrased things and said that she would kill to be in my position with a home, the perfect boyfriend and a pregnancy.

BIB - and that is the problem! Not much going on in that respect in her own life so she is envious/jealous that you have what she wants.
    I have a friend like that. She's still my friend but she is not married and has no kids and not much of a life. She can never be happy for anything that happens in my life.
    As I say, I fell out with my best friend just the once (it was my fault as I was jealous same as your friend). It took a while to get back on track but ever since we are closer than ever and through maturity, we would never fall out nowadays.
    If you want to keep your friend, let her be for a while and see if she comes to you. If not, contact her again but until she gets joy in her own life, I don't think she is going to be much of a friend.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reading that, it definitely sounds like she's jealous.

I can completely understand what you're saying - you don't want to give up on the friendship. I would imagine the best way is just to really make the effort with her, remind her of how much you care about her and try and see if you can improve things that way.

Hard though, jealousy is a beast of a thing and can make people act very uncharacteristically and irrationally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She hasn't spoken to me since Sunday :( That might not sound like much but we always talked every day and she's been online a lot more than she was a month ago. She didn't reply to my last message either. I get the feeling she thinks she's just giving me the same treatment I gave her when I was offline for months, but... I neglected her accidentally due to personal trauma, where as she has outright told me she's willfully neglecting me. All her talk of "I can't help it" is upsetting, because... if she wanted to, she'd help it.

I feel like I'm trying to get over breaking up with a boyfriend who cheated on me. I look at her with her new BFFs and their synchronised usernames and I have to adjust what I do online so I don't upset her by coming too close, so I'm constantly reminded of it. Even when I pick up my phone I see dropbox and think "our writing is in there", and when I go to bed and pick up a novel my first thought is "R sent me this two christmases ago".

I don't' even know why I'm posting. I'm feeling pathetically self-indulgent and I can't sleep because of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breaking up with a friend can feel like breaking with a boyfriend, I have experienced these feelings too. Sometimes its even harder because we never envisage a friendship breaking down like this, its so hard. Have you tried sending her an email explaining how you feel and how much you miss her?
    It does sound like she is trying to make you feel bad and get her 'revenge', in which case I think you need to take a step back and question what type of real friend would behave in that way and deliberately cause you more pain.
    I know you dont want to give up on her yet, but like any relationship, it has to be mutual.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience times change, people change, life moves on and yours has and still is. Her life is to the extent she doesn't have a partner and is now making new friends and going in a different direction without you.

No reason why you can't be good friends and continue to enjoy the closeness and shared history you both have, but you don't have to be exclusive.
  • Options
    LizziLouiseLizziLouise Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    I was in a similar situation but in R's position, so I probably have a different perspective but in my case it certainly wasn't jealousy.

Similar story, best friends, did everything together, spoke sometimes a dozen times a day, until the new job and boyfriend. I wasn't jealous of either of those things, I was the one that pushed her towards finding a job she loved and encouraged her when she was nervous about getting into a relationship.
    And suddenly it went from speaking multiple times a day to an email once every few weeks (sometimes one line from her saying she was too busy to read or reply to my email) and cancelling plans at the last minute to be with the boyfriend.

What I'm guessing she didn't realise, as you don't seem to is that friendship is a two way street, after years of being there for her suddenly I was no longer needed, it didn't occur to her that maybe I needed her, when I started going through some difficult things she literally couldn't have been less interested and when you've sacrificed things in your own life to help your best friend you'd be surprised how angry that can make you.

You said yourself you didn't speak to her for months and she had her own troubles going on and yet you contacted her about the pregnancy/abortion. In her position I'd be thinking why the hell does the friendship only exist on your terms when you're the one that needs help.
    Obviously I'm bringing my own issues into it :D but maybe think about how the whole situation looks to her before you pass it off as selfishness and jealousy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You said yourself you didn't speak to her for months and she had her own troubles going on and yet you contacted her about the pregnancy/abortion. In her position I'd be thinking why the hell does the friendship only exist on your terms when you're the one that needs help.
    Obviously I'm bringing my own issues into it :D but maybe think about how the whole situation looks to her before you pass it off as selfishness and jealousy.

I understand what you're saying and I keep thinking about that, trying to see if I did behave like that. But as for the last point, I didn't just contact her about the abortion, I had been talking to her for a little bit before that and at that point (as far as she told me) there was nothing wrong in her life. If there was, she still hasn't told me - and I did ask! A lot.
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    Breaking up with a friend can feel like breaking with a boyfriend, I have experienced these feelings too. Sometimes its even harder because we never envisage a friendship breaking down like this, its so hard. Have you tried sending her an email explaining how you feel and how much you miss her?

I sent her an email last night. After I posted that message and went to bed and cried like an idiot child :p and sent her an email telling her how much I miss her and explaining that I would never have done anything to hurt her, that I'd still fly out to help her at a moment's notice, etc. I don't know if she got it. She hasn't responded yet although she's been online. I can't figure out whether to IM her or not because I don't want to be pushy. She hasn't responded to my last PM (which I know she read) or yesterday's email so I'm wondering if I should take the hint or if... I don't know.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As difficult as it is, I would try to focus on your offline world, your boyfriend and just try to step back. Because right now this friendship is causing you a great deal of emotional pain and distress. Watching peoples usernames, watching their last logon time, watching PM statuses.. the internet can make it so easy to literally tear yourself apart over the slightest signal or sign. It's not a good place to be in.

If need be, write an email, say your piece (it looks like you already have) and put the ball in her court but don't stand on the other side of the net in rain, wind and snow waiting for her to hit it back.
  • Options
    marcina bolanmarcina bolan Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sent her an email last night. After I posted that message and went to bed and cried like an idiot child :p and sent her an email telling her how much I miss her and explaining that I would never have done anything to hurt her, that I'd still fly out to help her at a moment's notice, etc. I don't know if she got it. She hasn't responded yet although she's been online. I can't figure out whether to IM her or not because I don't want to be pushy. She hasn't responded to my last PM (which I know she read) or yesterday's email so I'm wondering if I should take the hint or if... I don't know.

The ball is in her court now, I wouldn't waste any more time on her to be honest....leave her be and get on with your own life. It might be hard but you're making so much effort and getting zilch in return. You are doing all the running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried phoning her?

I can see it from both sides but I do find she is being a bit childish by not replying and ignoring you. How old are you both?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ I'm 25 and she's 28. Believe it or not we've never called each-other. I sort of have a phobia of phones (I find speaking difficult if the person isn't in front of me) and she doesn't like speaking English without seeing someone in front of her. I think it'd be a bit awkward. I'd find it easier to fly over for the weekend and knock on her door, lol.
    As difficult as it is, I would try to focus on your offline world, your boyfriend and just try to step back. Because right now this friendship is causing you a great deal of emotional pain and distress. Watching peoples usernames, watching their last logon time, watching PM statuses.. the internet can make it so easy to literally tear yourself apart over the slightest signal or sign. It's not a good place to be in.

If need be, write an email, say your piece (it looks like you already have) and put the ball in her court but don't stand on the other side of the net in rain, wind and snow waiting for her to hit it back.

You're right. It's pathetic. I'm not usually someone who agonises over every little thing online. The stupid thing is that I can acknowledge how pathetic I'm being and yet... I haven't punched myself in the face yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who comes across terrible on the phone! She hates it.
    What is probably making it worse is the trouble with your job and stuff. You are already on a downer and so something like this seems 100 times worse than if you had been in the right frame of mind to deal with it.
    I am sure it will sort itself out. Leave her a week and try again.
  • Options
    eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychosis, I think you've done everything you can to make the friendship work, and if she continues to ignore you then it really is her loss. She doesn't sound terribly understanding or caring - in fact, she comes across as downright selfish at times. I've been at that 'too tired and stressed to do anything except cry and sleep' stage when I was teaching, and I know how miserable it can be. Perhaps she just doesn't understand how much you've had on your plate, perhaps she's jealous, perhaps you've drifted apart... who knows? At least you've tried to be there for her and told her how you feel. It's up to her now.
    Take some time offline to focus on the real world. Keep yourself busy, try to enjoy yourself. If she's a true friend you'll hear from her again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond to me. I've been feeling sorry for myself too much lately and you've all got such good (logical! I like logic) advice.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right. It's pathetic. I'm not usually someone who agonises over every little thing online. The stupid thing is that I can acknowledge how pathetic I'm being and yet... I haven't punched myself in the face yet.

It's not pathetic. You're only human. It's only natural to grow close to someone you talk to literally very day for years, even if they do live in another country. Been there, done that. But at the same time, that doesn't give them an excuse to trample all over your heart and treat you so badly you're in tears every night. You can only do so much and it sounds like you've done a lot so far. I'm sure you'll agree your friendship is worth more than that. Tell yourself "i'm worth more than this". Get your partner to tell you that too. I agree with others, it's her loss if things don't work out. But don't let yourself be trampled over finding out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    Having a snoop around the forum I found this. several (new) posts were made whilst I was reading and typing a response to this thread, I shall still post what I've written as it may encourage any future actions.

Is communication by you two normally or exclusively carried out via text based messages? Should you have the facilities available, such as a headset, try inviting your friend to a vocal conversation. I think communicating this way may help to assure your sincerity in re-establishing your former bond.

I noticed you both enjoyed internet roleplay. As a final resort I would again consider discussing an interest in restarting the creative hobby, but only do this if you have serious intentions to commit.

I'm not going to suggest you immediately drop this friend from you life, though I don't think it would be wrong to say you're nearing the final terminus, hopefully it won't end so negatively but you can atleast look back knowing you tried, and your efforts thus far greatly extend beyond that of reasonable.