The Walking Dead Video Game

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see what people see in this game - the story-telling and dialogue is lousy and predictable, the characters appear to have a collective IQ of about 30, and overall it plays out like your average cheap soap opera (or is that the appeal?).

How far are you? have you had to make any tough decisions yet? i doubt it

Don't open unless you have finished episode one major spoilers that will ruin it
    how did you choose between save a child and a farmers son, how did you choose who to save in the store
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    I'm struggling to see what people see in this game - the story-telling and dialogue is lousy and predictable, the characters appear to have a collective IQ of about 30, and overall it plays out like your average cheap soap opera (or is that the appeal?).

Are you unfamiliar with the Walking Dead in other media? The comics and the TV show are basically an adult soap opera with zombies.
    Whilst I've grown a bit bored of the comics and tv show, I actually really enjoyed the game.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deserved game of the year, I can't argue with it amazing game.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deserved game of the year, I can't argue with it amazing game.

Agree entirely!!! :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Agree entirely!!! :cool:

Journey won on few websites to though I never played that.

Just waiting for eps 6-10 now I hate waiting on games I know I'll just love :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Journey won on few websites to though I never played that.

Just waiting for eps 6-10 now I hate waiting on games I know I'll just love :)

You never know the upcoming activision release survival instincts might help ease the pain of having 2 wait! ;)

(it could surprise people & turn out 2 be decent)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never know the upcoming activision release survival instincts might help ease the pain of having 2 wait! ;)

(it could surprise people & turn out 2 be decent)

I heard it was a cheap FPS game and has nothing to do with the TellTale Game, so I would not get any hopes up for that, I could be wrong.

A FPS Zombie game I think I won't bother, who would? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard it was a cheap FPS game and has nothing to do with the TellTale Game, so I would not get any hopes up for that, I could be wrong.

A FPS Zombie game I think I won't bother, who would? :D

Considering 50% of the TV show revolves around butchering / shooting zombies I believe quite afew people could be interested in picking up a copy of survival instincts. :D (let's be honest it'll sell by the lorry load regardless of the reviews ... It'll be no1 in the charts a week after release guaranteed)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Pre ordered Survival Instincts on shopto and i was wondering, with the the way most people seem to get games early from shopto, do people pre pay to receive it early or do they just send it early regardless
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They send it to make sure u get it for release day sometimes it just comes a day early
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    I've played the second and third episodes today. It's certainly a good game, but I'm not sure I'd say it's GOTY 2012. Because it's more of an interactive movie than a game. Mass Effect had a similar conversation system and choices, many of which had more noticeable consequences (plus, IMO, stronger characters) but coupled it with decent gameplay. TWD has conversation systems, then just walking around and pointing-and-clicking inbetween that. The story, IMO, isn't as good as ME either (at least the first ME, anyway).

Still a good game, but I'd say it doesn't deserve GOTY because it's not particularly making use of its format as a game. Hard to explain. But GOTYs, for me, have to make USE of the format in a unique and interesting way. Still enjoyable enough, though.
  • OpEdOpEd Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...but I'd say it doesn't deserve GOTY because it's not particularly making use of its format as a game. Hard to explain.

You may think it's somehow hard to explain, but it's not hard understand because I entirely agree with you.

It was enjoyable and memorable but not really a game.

There are a lot of "games" that aren't games in my book that I'd feel I'd have to get a little more explicitly pointed about (most controversial I could name right now? Tomb Raider 2013) to explain why they aren't games... but I'll bet a lot of people understand why this episodic Walking Dead is not so much a game.

Anyway Dishonoured was GOTY. No question. You can be silly about it and have a discussion otherwise and pretend otherwise, you know for fun and all... but Dishonoured was Game Of The Year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 284
    Forum Member
    OpEd wrote: »
    You may think it's somehow hard to explain, but it's not hard understand because I entirely agree with you.

There are a lot of "games" that aren't games in my book that I'd feel I'd have to get a little more explicitly pointed about (most controversial I could name right now? Tomb Raider 2013) to explain why they aren't games... but I'll bet a lot of people understand why this episodic Walking Dead is not so much a game.

Anyway Dishonoured was GOTY. No question. You can be silly about it and have a discussion otherwise and pretend otherwise, you know for fun and all... but Dishonoured was Game Of The Year.
    Yeah, I've heard only good things about that game. It's on my to-play list, for sure.
  • TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd be interested to hear why you think TR isn't a game. I agree that TWD is really an interactive novel which could be completed with minimum effort but TR, whilst it holds your hand a bit too much, is definitely a 'game' as it requires intelligence and timing for some of the puzzles and a little skill for some of the action.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TommyNooka wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear why you think TR isn't a game. I agree that TWD is really an interactive novel which could be completed with minimum effort but TR, whilst it holds your hand a bit too much, is definitely a 'game' as it requires intelligence and timing for some of the puzzles and a little skill for some of the action.

Well, I know I'll get some disingenuous arguments (maybe not from you but there'll be others that won't like what I'm pointing out)... and I don't really want to argue about it... and I don't want to write a wall of text... and I don't want to hijack this thread either... but I will give a quick rundown.

TR2013 is not a game because:

I'm sorry but it does not require "intelligence" at all. Every "puzzle" solution is obvious and made even more so by prompting.

There's not even any point to the RPG/XP nonsense included as you basically need to acquire all "tierwhatever" skills to unlock the next set of "tierwhatever" skills. No strategy there either.

The "timing" too means nothing. It's just full of insta-die crap and QTE events. And this is what really makes it a miserable excuse for a game. QTE are shit. They are nothing but a preset button mashing sequence, which any monkey can "master". You just press the exact buttons in exactly the right order for exactly the right amount of time as you are instructed to do... or else you die... and then you try again as the "game" takes you over and over back to mash again... tedious monotony and nothing else. Also there are other scripted bits that you can't possibly anticipate. So you die. And again the "game" is all set to take you right back for another try. This is not a game. In a game you can play through without dying. In this game no one plays through with out dying many many times. Though I know many don't care or understand -- this is ludicrous as far as I'm concerned. It's not a game.

That last one is really the crux of the matter with TR2013. You cannot get through it without dying a bunch. And I know people will claim otherwise... and I know something about those claims too. ;)

There are some good things, to be sure, about TR2013. I don't hate the thing. I'm happy others can enjoy it for what it is. The story's good... (but not really good: it's frankly a lot of shallow). The presentation production values are very nice, sure, but, again, nothing special.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I know I'll get some disingenuous arguments (maybe not from you but there'll be others that won't like what I'm pointing out)... and I don't really want to argue about it... and I don't want to write a wall of text... and I don't want to hijack this thread either... but I will give a quick rundown.

TR2013 is not a game because:

I'm sorry but it does not require "intelligence" at all. Every "puzzle" solution is obvious and made even more so by prompting.

There's not even any point to the RPG/XP nonsense included as you basically need to acquire all "tierwhatever" skills to unlock the next set of "tierwhatever" skills. No strategy there either.

The "timing" too means nothing. It's just full of insta-die crap and QTE events. And this is what really makes it a miserable excuse for a game. QTE are shit. They are nothing but a preset button mashing sequence, which any monkey can "master". You just press the exact buttons in exactly the right order for exactly the right amount of time as you are instructed to do... or else you die... and then you try again as the "game" takes you over and over back to mash again... tedious monotony and nothing else. Also there are other scripted bits that you can't possibly anticipate. So you die. And again the "game" is all set to take you right back for another try. This is not a game. In a game you can play through without dying. In this game no one plays through with out dying many many times. Though I know many don't care or understand -- this is ludicrous as far as I'm concerned. It's not a game.

That last one is really the crux of the matter with TR2013. You cannot get through it without dying a bunch. And I know people will claim otherwise... and I know something about those claims too. ;)

There are some good things, to be sure, about TR2013. I don't hate the thing. I'm happy others can enjoy it for what it is. The story's good... (but not really good: it's frankly a lot of shallow). The presentation production values are very nice, sure, but, again, nothing special.

I feel dumber for having read this, so your argument is tomb raider isn't a game because you personally can't get through without dying

Would you care to list some 'actual' games so we can compare them to tomb raider and see if that you helps your argument at all

Right now i'm willing to say that as you posted this waffle at 5.40am we can say you were drunk and right this stupidity off

I had tomb raider when i put the disk in the icon appeared under games and then i controlled Lara through a game, when i died i continued to play the game at no point did a think this isn't a game because i died

One last thing perhaps with a bit 'intelligence you could of been able to tell when the game was setting an obvious QTE up and survived it

Edit: the more i see of the new walking dead game the more i think i'll like it, but i might die during it so can i call it a game?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote:
    Edit: the more i see of the new walking dead game the more i think i'll like it, but i might die during it so can i call it a game?

I friend of mine is playing it right now on xboxlive ... He's quite enjoying it! :) (wouldn't mind getting the wiiu version but with gears & monster hunter out this week! /shrug)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I friend of mine is playing it right now on xboxlive ... He's quite enjoying it! :) (wouldn't mind getting the wiiu version but with gears & monster hunter out this week! /shrug)

I would of bought the WiiU version but it wasn't on shopto when i searched :( and i know its two days early but i'm still hoping it'll drop on my mat, if not i have other games to finish anyway
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TR 2013 is not a game? what a stupid argument, where is this thread going.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    I feel dumber...

Oh shit, the last thing that needs to happen is for you to get any dumber. Sorry.
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Would you care to list some 'actual' games so we can compare them to tomb raider and see if that you helps your argument

Um... I already told you I'm not going to bother arguing... for the reasons I listed... and because I knew my post would upset, confuse, and rile up a troop of couch-monkeys.

You would of understood if only you would of learned how to read back when you should of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh shit, the last thing that needs to happen is for you to get any dumber. Sorry.

Um... I already told you I'm not going to bother arguing... for the reasons I listed... and because I knew my post would upset, confuse, and rile up a troop of couch-monkeys.

You would of understood if only you would of learned how to read back when you should of.

So basically you are going to write the absolute stupidest thing anyone has ever written and then when you getting called out on it, you can't take it

Your entire post and incredibly stupid and none of your points make any sense

You are saying Tomb Raider isn't a game, that point alone needs to be argued none of the point you have made explain why it isn't a game

Also you don't want to argue but you directly insult me, what the hell i suppose to do with that, i could call a doctor for you but i think you're beyond help
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Everything you wrote is a valid complaint of why you didn't like or enjoy the game which is far enough, but none of what you wrote explains why it isn't a game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You pick up gamepad or m/k you move a character it is a game, I suggest everyone stops replying to him, troll
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You pick up gamepad or m/k you move a character it is a game, I suggest everyone stops replying to him, troll

I'm sorry if i've been feeding a troll, but this guy seem a little to serious to be a troll i think he might have problems
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My copy of Survival Instinct just arrived XD

Gonna still it on in a minute and i'll post some thoughts later