1202122232426»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were dreaming. It is blocked.

:)

Um... No. Not here.

I have a few ideas on what it is actually. No proxies, redirectors or anything shady, but it's working and I think I've said enough. :o
  • johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18533268
    MEPs on a key European parliamentary committee have voted to reject the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (Acta).

Many regard it as the deathblow for the controversial treaty because the committee formally recommends how to vote to the wider parliament.

The European Parliament vote is due to take place in July.

Acta aims to tighten rules on both online and offline piracy but has attracted many critics.

ACTA is on it's deathbed. We need to finish it off for good.
  • DJGMDJGM Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised the European Court of Justice hasn't weighed in on this issue yet. It issued a ruling last November to say
    that ISP's "cannot be forced to block or monitor web users' online activity". Therefore, the High Court ruling in April of
    this year, forcing the big name UK ISP's to block The Pirate Bay, is effectively in breach of the ECJ ruling.

Is it possible that the ECJ could ultimately force our High Court to reverse the ruling it made in April against TPB?
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »
    I'm surprised the European Court of Justice hasn't weighed in on this issue yet. It issued a ruling last November to say
    that ISP's "cannot be forced to block or monitor web users' online activity". Therefore, the High Court ruling in April of
    this year, forcing the big name UK ISP's to block The Pirate Bay, is effectively in breach of the ECJ ruling.

Is it possible that the ECJ could ultimately force our High Court to reverse the ruling it made in April against TPB?

I have been wondering about that myself. Perhaps the case hasn't been brought to the ECJ yet but hopefully it will soon.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's good news about ACTA. I hope that'll be the end of it.
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    DJGM wrote: »

The ruling doesn't apply to the Pirate Bay case. The case the European Court ruled on was due to a demand that an ISP block all P2P content that infringed the copyright of the company that brought the case. The ECJ ruled against it because it would mean monitoring all traffic and would require the installation of filtering equipment at the ISPs expense. The Pirate Bay block doesn't require general monitoring of traffic so isn't covered by the ruling.
    Forum Member
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120625/12333619468/eu-commissioner-reveals-he-will-simply-ignore-any-rejection-acta-european-parliament-next-week.shtml

Apparently, in true EU style, the EU commissioner will ignore the Parliament if they vote against ACTA. Isn't democracy wonderful?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120625/12333619468/eu-commissioner-reveals-he-will-simply-ignore-any-rejection-acta-european-parliament-next-week.shtml

Apparently, in true EU style, the EU commissioner will ignore the Parliament if they vote against ACTA. Isn't democracy wonderful?

Oh dear :mad:
    Forum Member
    Been accused of copyright infringement? (emphasis on accused rather than convicted)
    Want to appeal?

20 quid please

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18594105
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The half-arsed attempt of blocking TPB may just be the start...
    Big Content is so proud of the fact that its legal challenge to Pirate Bay ended up with the site still running that it wants to repeat its legal tactics again.

While Big Content succeeded in getting the sites blocked, its operator facing fines, and in theory the site closed down, Pirate Bay still runs and, at least in Britain, is more popular than ever before.

That small fact does not seem to have stopped Big Content wanting to move onto other targets using the same tactics.
    According to TorrentFreak, Big Content now has its sights set on Demonoid, ExtraTorrent, H33Tm TorrentReactor and Fenopy.

If the music licensing group PPL sending out an email to its members is any barometer, some pretty major torrent sites will soon come under the legal spotlight of the BPI.
    Continued... http://news.techeye.net/internet/big-content-readies-writs-against-more-bittorrent-sites
    Forum Member
    It's gone from a war on specific infringing sites to a full blown attack on the whole torrent technology. Torrents are useful for a whole host of legitimate purposes but the entertainment industry continues to ignore this. Ironically, they could make an absolute fortune by using the technology rather than spending millions fighting it.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entertainment industry has no clue when it comes to how the Internet 'works'. They're content just to blow millions to keep their ego intact. Do they realise how many torrent sites will be out there?
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    The entertainment industry has no clue when it comes to how the Internet 'works'. They're content just to blow millions to keep their ego intact. Do they realise how many torrent sites will be out there?

As well as how many more will pop up as one is shut down/blocked? Gotta love whack-a-mole.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as how many more will pop up as one is shut down/blocked? Gotta love whack-a-mole.

They really have no-i-dea.
    Forum Member
    No point making a new thread for this so I will put it here :D

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-18833060
    A drop in file-sharing following a court ordered block of the Pirate Bay was short-lived, data seen by the BBC suggests.

A major UK internet service provider (ISP) said peer-to-peer (P2P) activity on its network returned to just below normal only a week after the measures were enforced earlier this year.

Critics had warned the ban would prove ineffective.

A pointless ban that has done nothing to stop illegal file sharing. Do you still think this is an effective way of fighting piracy?

Yet, the BPI still refuses to acknowledge the pointlessness of spending millions on pursuing this pointless game of whack-a-mole.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Interesting that my thread about the pirate bay being back up with the link gets deleted and I get a waring fromDS, yet posters above with several links to torrent sites goes unnoticed?