Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 35)

Comments

• Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I do think Reggie is underused. I like Holly but judging by last night's show Reggie is far more charismatic and natural. He has a wonderful rapport with the contestants so it's annoying that we see so little of him.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturday factor probably encourages people to go out and watch in the pub, I did and all the locals were packed (as they normally are on a Saturday!)

But the combination of Bayern being dull and every football fan knowing Chelsea were going 'to park the bus' for 90 minutes probably didn't help.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Voice has aired at a terrible time of year for a format of its length and I think it's getting an unfair time of things from a lot of people, which coupled with the fact it's a new format is generating this impression of doom and failure.

It's the time of year people's habits change and are less likely to be in the mood to really follow something while they transition into "summer mode". I genuinely think the show has legs, just not where it is at the moment.

Improvements to the show are needed but it's still a watchable piece that's capable of pulling high audiences - it's just like it's a wave in the sea at the moment, swimming against the current. They need to take the wave out and drop it back in the right part of the sea and everything will fall into place.

Season 2 will be where The Voice takes off I reckon. In a better time of year, with necessary tweaks to the production here and there - and tweaks is all I think it really needs to be the hit it started off as.

It's so easy with these things for a consensus to be formed then people to run with it. I think TVUK has enough conviction to still be one of the top UK show - just in the right time and the right place.

It's passing people by at the moment, not for being shit (or at least not entirely) but for literally being in an awkward place.

Next year more people will audition (probably better talent), the judges will be established (probably won't change lineup, they'll be comfortable in roles by then), the production will be tweaked, results will probably be live, it'll be in a better time of year - and I do think it'll see a YoY increase.

The blind auditions are a big selling point and they will pull a good number for S2. All they need to do is sort out what's made the figures dip a tad (too many contestants etc) and rectify it.

This year's a "write off" in a sense, but that's not to say it's anywhere near dead. If anything, it's just begun really.

All IMO ofc. ;)
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I can't believe the Voice has fallen so much.

From 9-10million to now 6million.

Last night was up against the football but I thought it would rate at least 7million.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who has had lower overnights since episode 1 of series 5. This continued into series 6.

Yet the iplayer is spectacular and its timeshifts are brilliant (be interesting to see if it builds this year as we've seen some growth with some shows there) - bringing it up to the ratings we expect the show to get.

So it has **** all to do with Smith/Moffat as its been an ongoing trend in the show.

Doctor Who could pull in stronger ratings on earlier and in much hotter weather though than The Voice. So I don't think the time shift is enough of an excuse.

Still I think Doctor Who will be used as a lead in next year.

But yeah - DW ratings are still great when you take everything into account - nothing to do with Smith/Moffat though - in fact the show needs to change all the time; if it were just RTD/Tennant over and over people would get bored.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only reason to buy in The Voice was to get big ratings

It's just like with ITVs BGT and X-Factor in that sense.

It's not getting big ratings so it's a failure. If BGT/X-Factor went that way as well then they would be failing.

Such TV fare is not exactly worthy in it's own right after all, no matter what the BBC claim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused::confused:

:eek: People are seemingly take such joy in exploiting what is clearly the result of ALL of the following:

1) it being a brand new show, in its first series.

2) it suffering from being scheduled in that "transitory" time of year where people's natural habits change with the seasons

3) the format needing small, but noticeable, tweaks - 40 contestants going into lives is excessive, for example.

4) the results show being pre-recorded/the results being on Sundays. Those two things simply shouldn't co-exist: either it's Saturday all the way with results after lottery OR it's a Sunday night event, and fully live. hasn't helped.

The main thing to notice is that all 4 of those things can, and will, be eliminated from the equation for the second series. It'll likely get positioned with Doctor Who in the schedule, providing a perfect mix of Saturday night viewing. The results will either be on Saturdays or if on Sundays, live. There'll be fewer contestants and other small format/production niggles will be addressed.

And it will perform better YoY than this series. Considerably, I will wager!

Seems to me like other members' alliances are coming out and resulting in some quite ridiculous exclamations: completely OTT, opportunistically smug revelry in what is essentially a won battle in a lost war. :rolleyes:

Unsurprising ratings given all of the above, but the show's certainly not axe worthy. For goodness sake.

Cohen's said ratings are of no concern. He is correct. For they will rise next year. Classic case of tortoise and the hare mentalities here, and too many hares in here racing past and missing the bigger picture, denouncing a show to failure that is in reality doing so well.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can we all stop harping on about The Voice's ratings. The big story from last night is the really shitty ratings for ITV1's Champions League coverage.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    kevinbakhurst
    Champs league final peaked at 10.05m on itv - ave 6.54m. Sky Sports peak 2.27m ave1.49m
    10:58 AM - 20 May 12

I predicted 6.4m in the ratings prediction game then Fudd says "As the game has gone into extra time you can change your prediction if you want, guys" so I change my prediction to 8.4, influenced by all those people predicted a 12m or more peak audience and look what happens.:mad:

Gawd knows what sort of rubbish figure ITV would have got if crappy Chelsea hadn't sneaked that late, late equaliser. Down to Keith Lemon's Lemonaid levels by the look of it. Just shows how much people hate ITV's sports coverage when so many of them head to Sky Sports.:mad::mad:

:D;):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were ITV I'd question the need to buy up sport. I don't really see where/how ITV profited from last night.

Also I agree with James - brand new show; it launched well and tbh its hardly got 'public hate' - they just need to build on things next year.

Jessie J needs to be dropped imo; I liked her but shes just not working now - her group performance was dreadful; more about her than them.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I have watched The Voice since the beginning. I loved the fresh approach of the selection process, the battle rounds were mediocre in comparison. But I haven't watched since the first live show as I find:

Song Choices: DULL
    The contestants: Uninteresting and egotistic: (I mean who cares if a silly sod quit a job to do it?)
    The judges: Arrogant and self important
    The hosts: A misjudgement, especially the underuse of Reggie Yates.
    The Format: Weird. How can anyone be interested in something longterm when their favourite only performs every other week?

Some of the song choices have been interesting - nice not to hear the same old rubbish always trotted out again and again.

The judges and contestants themselves I have no problem with. Reggie, I agree, is a far better host and he should get the main job.

The format, I think, lets it down because it's very hard to engage with the contestants when you see so few performances. I would prefer it if they had more performances before just chucking them out - have them all on every week, don't get rid of so many so quickly...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    Champions League final ratings in Germany:
    http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=56820&p3=

First half: 14.73m (47.9%)
    Second half: 17.43m (55.8%)

It peaked at 19.21m (68.4%) during penalties.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of excuses people are making for The Voice is astonishing. The show is poor and as a result has lost a significant slice of its audience.

Not a single hit UK reality show has followed this ratings trajectory in its first run.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    grimshaw wrote: »
    If I were ITV I'd question the need to buy up sport. I don't really see where/how ITV profited from last night.

I guess ITV struggle to bring in young make viewers with their non sport output, barring juggernaughts like the X Factor. They probably do lose money on their sports coverage, due to the high cost of rights, but they can't really risk their channel becoming a non entity for one of the most profitable demographics.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Champions League final ratings in Germany:
    http://www.quotenmeter.de/cms/?p1=n&p2=56820&p3=

First half: 14.73m (47.9%)
    Second half: 17.43m (55.8%)

It peaked at 19.21m (68.4%) during penalties.

Huge ratings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    The amount of excuses people are making for The Voice is astonishing. The show is poor and as a result has lost a significant slice of its audience.

Not a single hit UK reality show has followed this ratings trajectory in its first run.
    Reality formats are very easy to sort out. Just twiddle a few knobs, tweak a bit here and there and put it out earlier in the year.

Let's face it, even people who've stopped watching now will tune back in for the S2 premiere. I can imagine it now, Doctor Who also airing alongside, having had a huge ad campaign leading up to it with the spinning chairs and the red button, perhaps a new judge to spice things up....

You get the point, people will watch the series two premiere. And if it fixes the little issues that made audiences drift, and airs in a better time of year, it will be rate better than this year.

The X Factor has always shaken itself up each year. Done what it needs to do to keep it fresh. Isn't it PAINFULLY obvious series 2 will do just that, and duh, rate better?
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimshaw wrote: »

The sponsors credits and the advertising income would have more than covered the cost of the rights so they have made a nice profit from it.

On 5 Live Breakfast there was speculation that The Voice could be axed after one series if it continues to perform this poorly. I am struggling to think of another series which has nosedived in the ratings this far from the early shows.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »
    The sponsors credits and the advertising income would have more than covered the cost of the rights so they have made a nice profit from it.

The tv rights for ITV are around 3 million a game, They may have covered that last night, but I massively doubt they bring in enough advertising income for the group games and all foreign clashes to cover this outlay.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

:eek: People are seemingly take such joy in exploiting what is clearly the result of ALL of the following:

1) it being a brand new show, in its first series.

2) it suffering from being scheduled in that "transitory" time of year where people's natural habits change with the seasons

3) the format needing small, but noticeable, tweaks - 40 contestants going into lives is excessive, for example.

4) the results show being pre-recorded/the results being on Sundays. Those two things simply shouldn't co-exist: either it's Saturday all the way with results after lottery OR it's a Sunday night event, and fully live. hasn't helped.

The main thing to notice is that all 4 of those things can, and will, be eliminated from the equation for the second series. It'll likely get positioned with Doctor Who in the schedule, providing a perfect mix of Saturday night viewing. The results will either be on Saturdays or if on Sundays, live. There'll be fewer contestants and other small format/production niggles will be addressed.

And it will perform better YoY than this series. Considerably, I will wager!

Seems to me like other members' alliances are coming out and resulting in some quite ridiculous exclamations: completely OTT, opportunistically smug revelry in what is essentially a won battle in a lost war. :rolleyes:

Unsurprising ratings given all of the above, but the show's certainly not axe worthy. For goodness sake.

Cohen's said ratings are of no concern. He is correct. For they will rise next year. Classic case of tortoise and the hare mentalities here, and too many hares in here racing past and missing the bigger picture, denouncing a show to failure that is in reality doing so well.

James, I'm sorry but just a few weeks ago you were saying how huge The Voice would be this series, how brilliant it is, how it was so much better than shitty X Factor and how 15m would watch the final. Now that the ratings have collapsed for you to say that the ratings are of no concern, that it was never going to get huge numbers at this time of year and there are some minor production niggles (understatement of the year!) is quite a comedown.

When The Voice was flying ahead there was a small number of people on this thread who were so insufferably smug about it that I can see why people are revelling in the collapse that has followed (and yes, it has collapsed - obviously it isn't axe worthy but it has had an almighty crash). The ratings are very much of concern and for people to be saying they aren't is hilarious.

I do think it can do better next year. Move it to Q1, air it at 7pm or later each week, have more blind audition shows (but shorten them to 60-65 mins each), cut the number of contestants on the live shows (maybe make the battle rounds like a duel format, where 8 contestants begin each show but only 2 can ultimately go through so they have to get through 2 battles to make it), sort out the production, be less pretentious and it needs to take itself less seriously.

I do think the opportunity for it to be an XF sized hit has passed now, but it certainly could be a 7-8m show if executed well next year. If they don't learn from this year though, then series 3 might just slip through their fingers, as at the moment the show is crap and viewers are voting with their remotes in their millions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fine, I have revised my prediction:

The Voice will hit 15m for its 2013 final.

Bookmark the post, it'll be funny. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm being thick but I can't see why the BBC need to chase ratings like ITV. :confused:
    The BBC are guaranteed their income from the licence fee payers whereas ITV have to attract advertisers so high ratings are vital to their survival.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think The Voice is quite the disaster people want it to be.

Obviously it has dropped from the highs of the blind auditions and the battle weekend but in the grand scheme of things that's not hugely surprising – I think it was probably unrealistic to expect it to repeat the success it had with the Sunday battle show in particular at 6:30 on a Saturday night. Having said that I suspect when you include time shift viewing and iPlayer stats the BBC is easily looking at 7+ million for the live shows at this point. Obviously they'd like for more of those viewers to be watching live on the night but that they're watching at all is half the battle.

In the grand scheme of things I think the BBC is probably looking at finals of around 7 million and total reach well beyond 7 million for the live shows and seeing it as a win. Especially when you take into account the disasters they've had with similar shows airing around this time of year. Changes need to be made for next year but this is a show in its first series and the vast majority of shows like this need to make changes heading into series two. Lets not forget how poor aspects of the first series of the likes of X Factor and Strictly were.

None of this should be read as trying to spin some poor over nights into something fantastic though. More just looking at the bigger picture and not hyper focusing on some less than stellar over night numbers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer this, iPlayer that.

All programmes get put on VOD services now and people watch all programmes on Sky + or on their computers. Using that is an excuse does not make a difference. 11 Million were watching it live one week and now only 5 million are. That is CATASTROPHIC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    I really don't think The Voice is quite the disaster people want it to be.

Obviously it has dropped from the highs of the blind auditions and the battle weekend but in the grand scheme of things that's not hugely surprising – I think it was probably unrealistic to expect it to repeat the success it had with the Sunday battle show in particular at 6:30 on a Saturday night. Having said that I suspect when you include time shift viewing and iPlayer stats the BBC is easily looking at 7+ million for the live shows at this point. Obviously they'd like for more of those viewers to be watching live on the night but that they're watching at all is half the battle.

In the grand scheme of things I think the BBC is probably looking at finals of around 7 million and total reach well beyond 7 million for the live shows and seeing it as a win. Especially when you take into account the disasters they've had with similar shows airing around this time of year. Changes need to be made for next year but this is a show in its first series and the vast majority of shows like this need to make changes heading into series two. Lets not forget how poor aspects of the first series of the likes of X Factor and Strictly were.

None of this should be read as trying to spin some poor over nights into something fantastic though. More just looking at the bigger picture and not hyper focusing on some less than stellar over night numbers.
    Finally, someone talking sense! Thank you!

Literally, amen. Perfectly put.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    soullover wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being thick but I can't see why the BBC need to chase ratings like ITV. :confused:
    The BBC are guaranteed their income from the licence fee payers whereas ITV have to attract advertisers so high ratings are vital to their survival.

The ratings numbers feed the egos of the producers regardless of whether it's on ITV or BBC.
  • Options
    fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant peak for the Champions League in Germany.
This discussion has been closed.