Options

Why are there never any homosexuals in Home and Away?

JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
if you compare it to british soaps, it seems to be a strictly gay free zone.
its abit of a shame, because i think a proper MALE gay love story would be brilliant for home and away, as long as they treat it like any other story and dont pander to bigots.
i am aware the joey and charlie storyline drew a huge number of complaints which is just bizarre!

have they decided to avoid gay characters since this?
imo the show is a damp squib these days. it needs somthing 'different' to liven things up. and i think a couple of gayboys would be different, because they never bloody seem to have any!

Comments

• Options
    CRP2012CRP2012 Posts: 2,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they had a gay couple about 6 year ago - someone linked to maddy hunter
  • Options
    GAZ237GAZ237 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gay free zone suits me. Rather than the soaps here which are so PC its rammed down your throat.
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christopher Fletcher was 'gay' back in 2003 (I think) in a really awkward storyline where he fancied Nick and Seb.

I remember Seb telling Alf that someone was 'in love' with him and when he revealed that it was another guy, Alf was very supportive of Christopher which was quite surprising.

That said, nothing actually happened, there was no 'gay kiss' and Christopher left soon after.

I do agree that gay characters are very underrepresented in the Bay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's difficult in Australia to show homosexuality, unfortunately.

There was huuuge uproar over there during the storyline between Charlie Buckton and Joey (which was the last proper gay storyline H&A had). Parent groups were very anti-gay and I think the pressure from groups like that and the 'PG' rating of Home and Away (and G rating of Neighbours) makes it a lot harder for them to break these barriers in Australia. They're trying, but unless they have a character like Chris in Neighbours who doesn't have much of an open identity with his sexuality, then it might take a few more years for something to actually occur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GAZ237 wrote: »
    Gay free zone suits me. Rather than the soaps here which are so PC its rammed down your throat.

what are you whittering on about ?
    misspeg wrote: »

There was huuuge uproar over there during the storyline between Charlie Buckton and Joey (which was the last proper gay storyline H&A had). Parent groups were very anti-gay and I think the pressure from groups like that and the 'PG' rating of Home and Away (and G rating of Neighbours) makes it a lot harder for them to break these barriers in Australia. They're trying, but unless they have a character like Chris in Neighbours who doesn't have much of an open identity with his sexuality, then it might take a few more years for something to actually occur.

i was never aware that australia was so backward :eek:
  • Options
    Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    I doubt that there was huge uproar in Australia.

Most people probably weren't all that bothered. It was most likely just a very vocal minority of viewers.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    There wasnt a huge uproar. A handful of people protested outside Seven's Melbourne offices. The media made a huge deal out of it and there were rumours the story was dropped over it. Nothing about the fact H&A is filmed a massive four months in advance and there was no way they could have rewrote Charlie's story, filmed and broadcast it in the space of a couple of weeks! The story was only ever intended to be short term.

H&A had to up its rating from G to PG with stories such as Sarah Lewis's murder rampage and Martha's pole dancing getting it into trouble.
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at least Neighbours is moving forward with Chris and Aidan...

my response to GAZ237 homosexuality is part of society, there is nothing PC about it...

I dont watch Home and Away but in should move into the 21st century.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has all been discussed before on similar threads with the same arrogant 'backward' comments.
    misspeg wrote: »

It's not that difficult to show homosexual characters in Australian television shows. Another poster made a great list of many examples in a past thread on this subject. There were a few newspaper stories and some conservative family and religious groups got their fifteen minutes of fame on current affairs shows. It was not a huge uproar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt Home and Away has a specific rule stating no gay characters.

They maybe just haven't written a regular character in yet but might in the future.

Wasn't Shannon lesbian or bisexual years ago? Or was that just a phase?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    at least Neighbours is moving forward with Chris and Aidan...

my response to GAZ237 homosexuality is part of society, there is nothing PC about it...

I dont watch Home and Away but in should move into the 21st century.

Well i,d prefer to not see two blokes kissing while i,m eating my dinner.(EE)

Yes its part of society,I,d just rather not see it on screen. the aussies have it right,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't have it right, this is homophobia and this cannot be tolerated. Two men kissing is no different to a man and a woman kissing or two women kissing...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Agree with you vaslav37.

Although I suspect Gaz237 wouldn't have an issue if it was two women... or maybe he would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    Agree with you vaslav37.

Although I suspect Gaz237 wouldn't have an issue if it was two women... or maybe he would.

I,m not keen on the two ladies kissing on Emmerdale either. Although i dont turn the tv over which i do if the men do scenes of affection on any programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So your homophobic then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a couple of Gay friends male and female. i get on great with them. But they would not be kissing thier partners in front of me and i should not have to see it on tv. Again the aussies are correct.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »
    There wasnt a huge uproar. A handful of people protested outside Seven's Melbourne offices. The media made a huge deal out of it and there were rumours the story was dropped over it. Nothing about the fact H&A is filmed a massive four months in advance and there was no way they could have rewrote Charlie's story, filmed and broadcast it in the space of a couple of weeks! The story was only ever intended to be short term.

H&A had to up its rating from G to PG with stories such as Sarah Lewis's murder rampage and Martha's pole dancing getting it into trouble.
    The network themselves admitted to cutting scenes in response to the controversy. They didn't drop the storyline because they couldn't but they made sure it had as minimal impact as possible. They, without a doubt, gave into the pressure. It's a shame, most UK broadcasters enjoy controversy and use it to their advantage, whereas the Australian networks seem to cower from it. How do they expect things to change if they aren't willing to fight the fight?
    I have a couple of Gay friends male and female. i get on great with them. But they would not be kissing thier partners in front of me and i should not have to see it on tv. Again the aussies are correct.
    Ah, the 'I have friends who are gay' line. It didn't work when people used to say 'I have friends who are black', I don't think this is going to work now. The fact that you said you don't need to see it while eating your dinner suggests there's something off putting about it and that attitude is very wrong. There's no other way about it. Your attitude towards gay love scenes shouldn't be any different to straight love scenes if you are unprejudiced.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Home and Away doesn't have gay characters at the moment but maybe they will in the future. They have had previously.

If you have gay friends it sounds like you don't hate gay people or would go out gaybashing but you still have a bit of an issue with their sexuality.

Sounds bit homophobic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you feel the same way about straight people kissing on TV? If you do then that's cool. if not that what you said is homophobic, you cannot paint it up any other way, you could try, but it would be pointless as your statement says it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As for gay characters in home and away, i stopped watching a number of years ago, but previous to this the only gay characters turned out to be some fruitloop stalker or something.
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    So your homophobic then?
    This is the sort of statement that pi$$es me off , if you are not into the gay scene then you are automaticly labelled as Homophobic :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the sort of statement that pi$$es me off , if you are not into the gay scene then you are automaticly labelled as Homophobic :rolleyes:

into? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh gawd. Bore off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would you turn over Gaz if it was a straight couple kissing, I am afarid you come across as been homophobic,,.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    This subject, with the expected 'Australia is so backward' comments, has been done to death on this forum. As others have said, huge, extensive, lists of gay and lesbian characters on Australian soaps and dramas have previously been posted onto the forum. 'Number 96' (a soap) ran from 1972 to 1977 with a gay male regular lead character its ENTIRE run. That series was a massive mainstream hit in a prime time slot, on Channel Ten. The character, Don, played by Joe Hasham, had many male partners, and had a long running live in boyfriend Dudley for several years. A world first. Other soaps like 'The Box' (1974-1977), 'Prisoner' (1979-1986) had same sex attracted characters and gay/lesbian couples. Those shows were big mainstream successes in prime time slots on Channel Ten. The gay lesbian characters in these shows were long running popular lead characters and in the case of both 'The Box' and 'Prisoner', the actors in the roles won Logie Awards for the portrayals.

The examples go on and on and stretch forward through the decades up to today. 'The Secret Life of Us' (also on Ten) was a more recent soap that had a lot of same sex attracted characters, storylines, and action.

Currently 'House Husbands', on the Nine Network, has a gay male couple as leads. The series has proved a huge hit, has just been renewed, and one of the gay male characters is on the front cover of this week's TV Week magazine.

Outside soaps and dramas, every series of 'Big Brother' in Australia (2001-2008, 2012) has featured at least one non-heterosexual housemate. They have often proved to be long lasting highly popular housemates. Note also that in Australia, 'Big Brother' has always run in an early evening slot (before 8.00 pm) and always on a mainstream network (Ten 2001-2008; Nine 2012).

As BadRomance said, there is no way possible that 'Home and Away' cut the story short because it was all in the can weeks before anyone heard of it. There is no way they could have gone back and rewritten/reshot/reedited all those episodes. The Network did not admit to censoring the scene. They said only that two versions of a kissing scene were shot. A moderate one and a more passionate one. In the end the director decided to go with the more moderate kiss, after which a single newspaper report claimed that that constituted censorship. The producers of the series denied it. If anyone actually googles news reports for this, you'll only find stories that say this.

As for claims that pressure groups complained about the story, well if they did, nothing very specific was said about this in the press. The original report claimed that the Network caved into complaints from pressure groups, but oddly enough, these supposed pressure groups remained strangely silent on the matter. I googled it a few months ago and in press reports found only generic 'file quotes' of complaints about the series. These quotes, I seem to recall, were generic and could have been made at any time. None of the critics quoted complained about lesbians in the show. If there were any press reports that actually qoute someone complaining specifically that lesbians were in the show I never found them.