Options

Why are there never any homosexuals in Home and Away?

Comments

• Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are there no Jewish people in eastenders? that's how dumb this thread is.

:D Totally agree.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GAZ237 wrote: »
    I have a couple of Gay friends male and female. i get on great with them. But they would not be kissing thier partners in front of me and i should not have to see it on tv. Again the aussies are correct.

I'd bet the case is either:

a) these gay friends don't exist.
    b) these gay friends have NO self respect.

You are homophobic. If you weren't, gays kissing wouldn't be such an issue. What gives you the right to kiss who you want then?

This always makes me chuckle. "I'm not a homophobe, I have gay friends, I just hate them making it clear what they are". :confused:

Also, the Australians aren't a homophobic nation, they just crowned a gay BB winner.
  • Options
    chuckleberrychuckleberry Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sydney is famous for rum and the love of a good man.

Top five Gay capitals of the world.

1. San Francisco
    2. Amsterdam
    3. Sydney
    4. New York
    5. Los Angeles
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I'd bet the case is either:

a) these gay friends don't exist.
    b) these gay friends have NO self respect.

You are homophobic. If you weren't, gays kissing wouldn't be such an issue. What gives you the right to kiss who you want then?

This always makes me chuckle. "I'm not a homophobe, I have gay friends, I just hate them making it clear what they are". :confused:

Also, the Australians aren't a homophobic nation, they just crowned a gay BB winner.

Yes. A mere 40 years after the first gay male kiss was screened on Australian TV in November 1972. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z8arTHWUus
  • Options
    noodkleopatranoodkleopatra Posts: 12,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the finale of Big Brother Australia 2012 out-gayed the events mentioned above.

Inexplicably, there were no negative comments in the Australian press, no viewers complained to Channel Nine, and there were no BOOs from the Big Brother live audience (squeals, yes, but no BOOs.)

Given these events, I am seriously puzzled by claims in this thread that Australian TV is conservative.

Woah... I never said Australians were conservative or backward. I think quite the opposite - even here in Perth (and I agree on the whole WA is quite conservative in comparison). Possibly it's the social circles I mix in, but I've found many of the people I know are left-leaning and liberal in mindset - can't say the same about rural WA, but then again, I needn't burden myself with that. Over the last two years I went to the Eastern States (at last), and again - especially Sydney - found it to be a wonderful place of acceptance and culture. So, please - just because I attacked the media, don't take it personally and view it as an attack on Australia.

I think it is like Wryip said - many of our television stations "play it safe". I applauded 'Sunrise' when they leant their name to the 'Marriage Equality' campaign - I thought this was a huge risk, and was very pleasantly surprised. Over the last couple of months, I think things have progressed. The marriage proposal on Big Brother was nice (I didn't watch the series, though) - although of course it was quite a huge event, and no doubt a ratings benefit to Nine. Perhaps the influence of the John Howard era is slowly dying off...
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Gaz the homophobe in the closet :D IMo if you've got an issue with two guys kissing there are underlying issues with your sexuality, straight men content with their sexuality are fine seeing two guys get it on. Just like us gays are fine seeing men and women get it on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Woah... I never said Australians were conservative or backward. I think quite the opposite - even here in Perth (and I agree on the whole WA is quite conservative in comparison). Possibly it's the social circles I mix in, but I've found many of the people I know are left-leaning and liberal in mindset - can't say the same about rural WA, but then again, I needn't burden myself with that. Over the last two years I went to the Eastern States (at last), and again - especially Sydney - found it to be a wonderful place of acceptance and culture. So, please - just because I attacked the media, don't take it personally and view it as an attack on Australia.

I think it is like Wryip said - many of our television stations "play it safe". I applauded 'Sunrise' when they leant their name to the 'Marriage Equality' campaign - I thought this was a huge risk, and was very pleasantly surprised. Over the last couple of months, I think things have progressed. The marriage proposal on Big Brother was nice (I didn't watch the series, though) - although of course it was quite a huge event, and no doubt a ratings benefit to Nine. Perhaps the influence of the John Howard era is slowly dying off...

My main general grumble - not so much with your post - was with general need I detected in parts of the thread, to ignore some programs on Australian TV, while focusing on others as proof that the entire medium is conservative. I've seen this on youtube comments too. People say 'oh, well the ABC and SBS are not conservative sure, but we don't count them, because... '

That is the equivalent of saying that of the UK, 'we don't count Channel 4 and the BBC, because...' Well that's ridiculous. Of course they are counted. They are part of TV too.

Also the cherry picking of examples annoyed me. Channel 4 in the UK runs 'The Simpsons' in the afternoon with the word 'gay' cut from broadcast. Where's the outcry/uproar about that and the threads about how backward the UK are for cutting the word 'gay'? The BBC also cut a gay sex scene from a show ('Torchwood'?) that had already gone to air in the US. No outcry about that either.

But when there's a fake media beat-up manufactured outcry about supposed censorship on 'Home and Away' that didn't actually happen (afterall two girl-girl kisses *did* go to air and weren't cut) we have dozens of DS threads about it. H&A might not have glbt characters on it now, but the majority of Australian dramas do. And with gay presenters and newsreaders on Australian mainstream networks, there are plenty of glbt TV celebrities too.

Apart from Australian productions like 'Number 96' and 'The Box' and 'Prisoner' (from the 1970s!) plenty of programmes with glbt content have gone to air in Australia prewatershed with no comment whatsoever. 'EastEnders' ran on ABC TV in the late 1980s in a pre-7.30 pm slot and the entire Colin and Barry / Colin and Guido stories went to air with no problem, and no comment from anyone. That's free to air TV that screens across the entire nation. The ABC also ran things like medical drama 'GP' and Canadian series 'Degrassi High' (in a children's slot) with stories about Aids, abortion, etc, and again with no comment and no complaints.

Sorry for the rant!!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just popping in to mention Out of the Blue (not seen it mentioned.) The short lived BBC/Aussie soap which had 2 lesbians characters who had a wedding ceremony. They seemed popular ;-D
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    Too many people switched off over Charlie and Joey and H&A and Seven gave in and changed the storyline.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    No they didn't. They aired the entire story it was only ever a short term story arc. Home and Away films upto five months in advance there is no way they could have changed an entire story overnight just because a very small handful of people protested outside Seven in Melbourne. This small protest led to a huge amount of media interest but never altered the story and there was certainly no backing down from Seven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »
    No they didn't. They aired the entire story it was only ever a short term story arc. Home and Away films upto five months in advance there is no way they could have changed an entire story overnight just because a very small handful of people protested outside Seven in Melbourne. This small protest led to a huge amount of media interest but never altered the story and there was certainly no backing down from Seven.

I do know what I'm talking about. I typed in what I'd heard previously and even DS reported on it.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s15/home-and-away/news/a151099/lesbian-kiss-cut-from-home-and-away.html

They cut kisses to please the 100 thousand viewers who turned off.
  • Options
    BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    And where is the confirmation of this so called censorship from Seven in the article? It's just speculation, something DS is very fond of!! There was a few kisses shown, some after the furore.
    It's not unusual for H&A's ratings to fluctuate by 100,000 on a nightly basis let alone over two weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well The Australian reported it and they are a high end news source. It says a kissing scene was cut.

I do know kissing was shown, I remember and while it lasted I thought it was a great storyline. A shame they did not see it through.

As for DS being fond of speculation - I have always found them to be reliable in recent years. they appear to have a good rapport with the shows and verify stories.

You can read the full story on Charlie Buckton's wikipedia entry too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rain wrote: »
    Well The Australian reported it and they are a high end news source. It says a kissing scene was cut.

I do know kissing was shown, I remember and while it lasted I thought it was a great storyline. A shame they did not see it through.

As for DS being fond of speculation - I have always found them to be reliable in recent years. they appear to have a good rapport with the shows and verify stories.

You can read the full story on Charlie Buckton's wikipedia entry too.

According to wikipedia, newspaper 'The Australian' has quite a low circulation in Australia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Australian

The main papers in Australia are 'The Age' and 'The Herald Sun' (Melbourne), 'Sydney Morning Herald', 'The Daily Telegraph', 'The Courier Mail' (Brisbane).

The belief that 'The Australian' is a 'high end' publication seems to be only your personal opinion. (The fact that it is running stories about a soap storyline - The Age or The Sydney Morning Herald probably wouldn't! - says to me that it is anything but 'high end'.)

The thing is that 'The Australian' claimed (before the episodes in question were screened) that a kissing scene had been cut, yet at least two kissing scenes did go to air in the show. So something doesn't add up.

The Digital Spy story simply repeats what 'The Australian' claimed. It presents no new information, no new quotes, and there's no evidence that they verified anything. (No quotes from the H&A producers, for instance).

Producer Bevan Lee told samesame that the story was false and that a female-female kiss would go to air: http://www.samesame.com.au/news/local/3827/Home-And-Away-Sets-The-Record-Straight.htm

...and two female-female kisses did go to air.

It seems, Rain, that you will believe what you want to believe, and will cherrypick news reports to back that up, while ignoring the reports (and the fact the female-female kisses DID go to air) that don't correspond with what you want to believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BadRomance wrote: »

Gday BadRomance.

I believe the only protest in Melbourne was the one at Federation Square (not outside the Seven Studios). It was a small 'kiss off' conducted by a group of lesbians who were protesting at the rumour that a lesbian kiss was to be cut from 'Home and Away'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWhG-OCSUcA

They weren't protesting about the inclusion of the kiss, they were protesting against it being censored.

As mentioned above (and in the description on the youtube video) it turned out that lesbian kisses WERE included in the episodes when they subsequently went to air.

'The Age' newspaper reported that there was little controversy and few complaints subsequent to the kisses going to air. http://www.theage.com.au/news/entertainment/tv--radio/passion-and-pashin-over-soaps-lesbian-kiss-drama/2009/03/31/1238261562800.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
  • Options
    mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am born and bred in Melbourne (probably the most cosmopolitan and liberal city and state in the country). I lived in the UK for 3 years. On the whole I would Brits and Europeans (yes yes I know, I mean mainland) are much more liberal, generally. In terms of politics and attitudes, you are more liberal and I know my other Australian friends who've done the UK visa thing would agree.
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My main general grumble - not so much with your post - was with general need I detected in parts of the thread, to ignore some programs on Australian TV, while focusing on others as proof that the entire medium is conservative. I've seen this on youtube comments too. People say 'oh, well the ABC and SBS are not conservative sure, but we don't count them, because... '

That is the equivalent of saying that of the UK, 'we don't count Channel 4 and the BBC, because...' Well that's ridiculous. Of course they are counted. They are part of TV too.

Also the cherry picking of examples annoyed me. Channel 4 in the UK runs 'The Simpsons' in the afternoon with the word 'gay' cut from broadcast. Where's the outcry/uproar about that and the threads about how backward the UK are for cutting the word 'gay'? The BBC also cut a gay sex scene from a show ('Torchwood'?) that had already gone to air in the US. No outcry about that either.

But when there's a fake media beat-up manufactured outcry about supposed censorship on 'Home and Away' that didn't actually happen (afterall two girl-girl kisses *did* go to air and weren't cut) we have dozens of DS threads about it. H&A might not have glbt characters on it now, but the majority of Australian dramas do. And with gay presenters and newsreaders on Australian mainstream networks, there are plenty of glbt TV celebrities too.

Apart from Australian productions like 'Number 96' and 'The Box' and 'Prisoner' (from the 1970s!) plenty of programmes with glbt content have gone to air in Australia prewatershed with no comment whatsoever. 'EastEnders' ran on ABC TV in the late 1980s in a pre-7.30 pm slot and the entire Colin and Barry / Colin and Guido stories went to air with no problem, and no comment from anyone. That's free to air TV that screens across the entire nation. The ABC also ran things like medical drama 'GP' and Canadian series 'Degrassi High' (in a children's slot) with stories about Aids, abortion, etc, and again with no comment and no complaints.

Sorry for the rant!!:eek:

When the ABC showed EastEnders in Australia in the 1980s it was on at 6.30 pm each weekday evening.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xytWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uuQDAAAAIBAJ&dq=number-96&pg=3902%2C7284599

Check out what the journalist has to say about Colin and Barry!

Co-incidentally, the same page has an article about a much older (Australian) soap - Number 96.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xytWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uuQDAAAAIBAJ&dq=number-96&pg=5870%2C7286295
  • Options
    Forum Member
    When the ABC showed EastEnders in Australia in the 1980s it was on at 6.30 pm each weekday evening.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xytWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uuQDAAAAIBAJ&dq=number-96&pg=3902%2C7284599

Check out what the journalist has to say about Colin and Barry!

Co-incidentally, the same page has an article about a much older (Australian) soap - Number 96.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=xytWAAAAIBAJ&sjid=uuQDAAAAIBAJ&dq=number-96&pg=5870%2C7286295

Thanks for those links. Very interesting.
  • Options
    Auds77Auds77 Posts: 1,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And some post 1997 examples...

Gay and lesbian characters in Australian dramas / Participants in reality programs.
    From David Wyatt's "Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Television Characters" website at http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/tv-char1970s.html

Australia's Perfect Couple (game show) 9NA 2009
    • Robbie
    • Dan
    Eight newlywed couples compete for a $250,000 prize. Robbie and Dan have been together for seven years.

Big Brother (long format gameshow) TEN 2001-present [actually ended 2008]
    • John "Rotten Johnny" Cass 2001
    • Nathan Morris 2002
    • Sahra Kearney 2002
    • Jamie O'Brien 2003
    • Claire Bellis 2003
    • Jaime Cedra 2003
    • Geneva Loader 2005
    • David Graham 2006
    • Rob Rigley 2006
    Australian copy of the British program of the same name. Contestants ("houseguests") [called "housemates" in the Australian series] are locked into a house with cameras, and voted out one by one until a winner is determined. GLBT contestants have become a standard part of the formula. (Gay and bisexual list based largely on the Wikipedia article.)

The Box (serial drama) TEN 1974-1977
    • Viki Stafford (Judy Nunn) television producer
    • Lee Whiteman (Paul Karo)
    • Wayne Hopkins (Ian Gilmour) Lee's love interest
    • Felicity (Helen Hemingway) Viki's love interest
    • John Barnett (Donald McDonald) 1975
    Series set amongst the behind the scenes bedhopping and general goings on at a TV station. It was another program of the Number 96 genre. Lee was a TV station employee and quite stereotypically gay. He dated closeted newsreader John. Both Viki and Felicity were bisexual.

Breakers (serial drama) TEN 1998-1999
    • Vince Donnelly (Simon Munro) waiter
    • Lucy Hill (Louise Crawford) journalist
    • Kelly (Gabriella Maselli) tutor
    • Peter Hirsch 1999 (Vincent Atkinson)
    Serial drama about the lives and loves of the residents and employees of a building in Bondi, New South Wales, called Breakers. Lucy is bisexual. Kelly is her romantic interest. Peter is Vince's boyfriend.

Neighbours (serial drama) TEN 1986-present
    • Andrew “Macca” MacKenzie 1994 (John Morris) builder
    • Andrew Watson 1996 (Chris Uhlman) schoolteacher
    Life on Ramsay Street. None of the gay/lesbian characters so far has lasted long. Macca was a builder who worked with the main character Doug Willis. Andrew Watson became the subject of school student rumours, and then a campaign by parents for his removal from the classroom. See also Neighbours (2004-2005, 2010-present).

Neighbours (serial drama) TEN 1986-present
    • Lana Crawford 2004-2005 (Bridget Neval)
    • Chris Pappas 2010-present (James Mason) student
    • Aidan Foster 2011-present (Bob Morley) nurse
    Life on Ramsay Street. Lana was the Canadian cousin of Sindi Watts. Chris is a high school student who befriends the show's other teens and becomes the captain of the school's basketball team. See also Neighbours (1994-1996).

Number 96 (serial drama) TEN 1972-1977
    • Don Finlayson [and 1974 feature film] (Joe Hasham) lawyer
    • Simon Carr 1972 [and 1974 feature film] (John Orcsik) public relations businessman
    • Bruce Taylor 1972, 1973-1974 (Paul Weingott) photographer
    • Karen Winters 1972 (Toni Lamond) receptionist
    • Dudley Butterfield 1973-1977 [and 1974 feature film] (Chard Hayward) chef
    • Marie Crowther 1973 (Hazel Phillips) volunteer counsellor
    • Paul Mathews 1973 (David Whitford) journalist
    • Dr. Alistair Pascal 1973 (Raymond Duparc) psychiatrist
    • Robyn Ross 1973 ("Carolle Lea" aka Carlotta of Les Girls)
    • Brad Hilton 1974-1975 (Terry Bader) flight attendant
    • Grant Chandler 1976-1977 (Michael Howard) chauffeur
    • Phillip Chambers 1976 (Henri Szeps) high school teacher
    • Rob Forsyth 1977 (John McTernan) American architect on holiday
    • Joshua 1977 (Shane Porteous) religious cult leader
    Life in and around a block of flats in Sydney, NSW. Don and Dudley were residents and lovers.

"... Number 96 created a sensation when it went on the air in 1972, dealing graphically with homosexuality, drug and alcohol addictions, ambitious and promiscuous people, insanity, rape, and sex---mostly sex." (Brooks & Marsh, 3rd ed., p. 616).

Through the long run of the show, Don had affairs or relationships with Dudley, Simon, Grant, Rob, Joshua, Paul, and Bruce. Don was also the object of the affections of Brad, Dr. Pascal, and Phillip. Dudley, Simon, Grant, and Bruce were bisexuals, Karen was a lesbian (and a witch), and Robyn turned out to be a transsexual, much to her boyfriend's surprise.

An American version of the show (NBC, 1980-1981 and more of a sitcom) was much tamer and did not include any gay characters.

Pacific Drive (serial drama) 9NA 1995-1997
    • Zoe Marshall (Libby Tanner)
    • Margeaux Hayes (Virginia Hey) Zoe's first love interest
    • Dior Shelby (Clodagh Crowe) Zoe's second girlfriend
    • Kay West (Brigid Kelly) Zoe's third girlfriend
    • Sondra Westwood (Helen Dallimore) Zoe's fourth girlfriend
    • Gemma Patterson (Katherine Lee) Zoe's fifth girlfriend
    • Jo (Jason Langley) Tim's transexual friend
    The sinful saga of hungry young professionals who work, live and play on the playground that is Pacific Drive. Zoe is the bubbly young Office Administrator for Kingsley Inc, the conglomerate which has real estate and media interests as well as a swimwear design company on Pacific Drive.

Prisoner: Cellblock H (serial prison drama) TEN 1979-1986
    • Freida 'Franky' Doyle 1979 (Carol Burns) prisoner
    • Doreen Anderson/Burns (Colette Mann) prisoner
    • Judy Bryant 1979-c1984 (Betty Bobbitt) prisoner
    • Sharon Gilmour 1979 (Margot Knight) Judy's partner
    • Angela Jeffries 1979 (Jeanie Drynan) lawyer
    • Joan 'The Freak' Ferguson c1982-1986 (Maggie Kirkpatrick) guard
    • Ray "Gay Ray" Proctor 1984 (Alex Menglet) prison cook
    • Terri Malone 1985 (Margot Knight) a guard, Joan's love interest
    Serial drama set in a women's detention centre in Australia. Among the cast of prisoners was a lesbian named Franky. As the series developed, various characters came and went, including Judy, who committed a crime so she could be jailed with Sharon, and bisexual prisoner Doreen.

The Secret Life of Us (drama) TEN 2001-2005
    • Richie Blake 2001-2003 (Spencer McLaren)
    • Simon Trader 2001-2003 (David Tredinnick)
    • Brad 2001 (Kenneth Ransom)
    • Charlie 2003 (Nathan Paige)
    Ensemble drama about a group of twenty-somethings, most of whom live in three flats in the same Melbourne apartment building. Actor Richie shares one flat with his girlfriend Miranda and and his best friend Will. Simon tends bar where the rest of the residents go to unwind. Brad is Richie's reason for leaving Miranda (5 episodes). Richie aquires a boyfriend Charlie during the 2003 series.

Sweat (drama) TEN 1996-1997?
    • Steve `Snowy' Bowles (Heath Ledger)
    Series based around the `Sports West Academy', a training academy for young elite athletes. The young athletes are thrown in together in a 'live-in' situation at SWA. Snowy is a 17 year old cyclist.

Reference
    David Wyatt. "Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Television Characters." URL: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~wyatt/tv-char1970s.html

Reality series "The Block" and "The Hot House" featured gay male couples. [http://www.tasa.org.au/conferences/conferencepapers05/papers%20(pdf)/urban_gorman.pdf]

I love Secret Life of Us :) Makes me want to break out the boxsets for a rewatch,
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rain wrote: »
    Too many people switched off over Charlie and Joey and H&A and Seven gave in and changed the storyline.

That storyline was rubbIsh though and nether of the actresses had any chemistry IMO
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch H & A but I hear it has no black or Asian characters either- an all white cast.

Neighbours is ahead of the game here with a regular gay male character and an Asian Family so kudos to Neighbours.
  • Options
    WanderinWonderWanderinWonder Posts: 3,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GAZ237 wrote: »
    Well i,d prefer to not see two blokes kissing while i,m eating my dinner.(EE)

Yes its part of society,I,d just rather not see it on screen. the aussies have it right,

I expect you'd love to watch two 'hot' girls making out though, wouldn't you? Some men are so predictable! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I don't watch H & A but I hear it has no black or Asian characters either- an all white cast.

Neighbours is ahead of the game here with a regular gay male character and an Asian Family so kudos to Neighbours.

And Neighbours is probably about 20 years behind the British soaps in that case!
  • Options
    MelSingletonMelSingleton Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Neighbours is probably about 20 years behind the British soaps in that case!

And British soaps were all more than a decade behind prime-time Australian soaps on mainstream Networks that had gay couples, lesbian kisses, bisexuality, non-white/non-Anglo-saxon characters what with Australian soaps such as 'Number 96' (1972-1977), 'The Box' (1974-1977), 'Prisoner' (1979-1986), 'Skyways' (1979-1981).

I mean, when did British soaps have their first gay male character? Wasn't that 'Brookside' in the mid 1980s? More than ten years after Australian soaps had done the same thing?

For the sake of brevity I've just picked a few of the bigger Australian soaps of the 1970s but as earlier posts on this thread show, the full list of gay lesbian bisexual etc. characters on Australian TV is certainly a long one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And British soaps were all more than a decade behind prime-time Australian soaps on mainstream Networks that had gay couples, lesbian kisses, bisexuality, non-white/non-Anglo-saxon characters what with Australian soaps such as 'Number 96' (1972-1977), 'The Box' (1974-1977), 'Prisoner' (1979-1986), 'Skyways' (1979-1981).

I mean, when did British soaps have their first gay male character? Wasn't that 'Brookside' in the mid 1980s? More than ten years after Australian soaps had done the same thing?

For the sake of brevity I've just picked a few of the bigger Australian soaps of the 1970s but as earlier posts on this thread show, the full list of gay lesbian bisexual etc. characters on Australian TV is certainly a long one!

Fair point. Which begs the question, why are both Neighbours and Home and Away so consistently tame when it comes to representation of minorities?