Dara O'Briain's Science Club, BBC2&HD, 9pm Tues

Comments

• RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wmoore wrote: »
    He was a teacher :)
    Was he?

When was that? I thought he went from University to working as a children's TV presenter, then team captain on a panel show and then standup & TV presenting.

I wasn't aware he had taught at any time, and I don't recall him ever mentioning it.

Although Greg Davies was a teacher (secondary school drama).
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I missed it even though I did set a reminder :D
    It's repeated on Thursday at 11:20pm

Also forgot all about this glad its repeated :)
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with having one item per week from a 'lay' perspective. I agree there are plenty of scientists who come across well on TV but I suspect it would still feel a little one note if everyone on screen was an expert in whatever they were talking about. It avoids the risk of 'assumed knowledge' - not everyone watching will be very scientific.

As long as the content of the pieces the comedians do is factually correct and reasonably entertaining, where's the harm?

Indeed there's no harm, I suppose it's just one of the things that 'grinds my gears' that everything these days apparently has to have a comedy aspect as if we as an audience can't be trusted to be actually engaged by any subject without having a piece of comedic candy dangled before us to make up for the broccoli - David Attenborough seems to have managed quite well across 60 years without resorting to lame George Osbourne/Nick Clegg jokes.

And there are surely 'lay' commentators available other than comedians, for instance having someone from a literary, religious or philosophical background would add a different flavour, particularly where some of the more unsettling prospects of quantum theory are concerned. This is 9pm on BBC2 after all....or am I starting to sound like an old fart. To quote one joke which did make me laugh "It used to be all fields around here....it still is!":p
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were they creating?

I wish I could remember more about it, I tried searching on the web around the topic but could only come up with this....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28390773/ns/technology_and_science-innovation/t/hobbyists-try-genetic-engineering-home/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linking this weeks show more than last weeks one for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumped for tonight.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member
    That bird who was handling the frogs just then has a nice pair of baps:cool:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've given up on this. Bit too "accessible" for me. Aimed at mid-teens.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not persuaded by the lab-grown beef!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helen Czerski back again.

Seals the deal for me :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I thought this was the best episode yet. I guess it depends on the subject matter and this one interested me more.

Funnily enough I watched an episode of QI after and it covered some of the same topics.
    Forum Member
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Indeed there's no harm, I suppose it's just one of the things that 'grinds my gears' that everything these days apparently has to have a comedy aspect as if we as an audience can't be trusted to be actually engaged by any subject without having a piece of comedic candy dangled before us to make up for the broccoli - David Attenborough seems to have managed quite well across 60 years without resorting to lame George Osbourne/Nick Clegg jokes.

And there are surely 'lay' commentators available other than comedians, for instance having someone from a literary, religious or philosophical background would add a different flavour, particularly where some of the more unsettling prospects of quantum theory are concerned. This is 9pm on BBC2 after all....or am I starting to sound like an old fart. To quote one joke which did make me laugh "It used to be all fields around here....it still is!":p
    The digs at the coalition from Brigstock did annoy me. I think it may just be easier to get a comedian in to do a short piece. I suppose the management companies are known to the broadcaster/production company and they are often availavle for panel shows and little reports like this.

On the otherhand though I can't see why it wouldn't be as simple to get a scientist/science journalist to do those reports.

Maybe there is a lack of known names/faces on tv and that's why you have the comedians.

Saying that, you have to watch specific shows in order to know who Bryne, Brigstock and Steel are.
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    I've given up on this. Bit too "accessible" for me. Aimed at mid-teens.
    Noticable that the audience seems to be made up of good looking student aged people.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The digs at the coalition from Brigstock did annoy me. I think it may just be easier to get a comedian in to do a short piece. I suppose the management companies are known to the broadcaster/production company and they are often availavle for panel shows and little reports like this.

On the otherhand though I can't see why it wouldn't be as simple to get a scientist/science journalist to do those reports.

Maybe there is a lack of known names/faces on tv and that's why you have the comedians.

Saying that, you have to watch specific shows in order to know who Bryne, Brigstock and Steel are.

Agree, especially as I can’t stand Brigstock.

However, I like the show, and take it for what it’s meant to be. An OU science course it isn’t, but it is there to spark a bit of curiosity in viewers and hopefully the majority of viewers find it interesting as well as entertaining.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, especially as I can’t stand Brigstock..

I usually can't stand Brigstock, he's the worst sort of right-on, lefty, Radio 4 comedian but I did see him this summer in Spamalot and he was excellent.

More Helen Czerski and less from Brigstock and his pals would do me fine.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    willowfan wrote: »
    Helen Czerski back again.

Seals the deal for me :)

Is she the one with the annoying whiney American accent?
    Forum Member
    I think you're thinking of Tali Sharot. I believe she's from the middle east and has that kind of american accent that some from that region and some scandinavians have (that i've found).
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Is she the one with the annoying whiney American accent?

No, she's very British (her surname comes from a Polish grandfather). This is her: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9135577/Dr-Helen-Czerski-the-darling-of-bubble-physics.html
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wish they'd bring the gorgeous Amy Mainzer on, they should have had her on the Einstein one last week.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8_Kfm8xpvYU/TOstAHhyvhI/AAAAAAAAFD8/-qBkym3ZNAY/s1600/amy_mainzer.jpg

Now there's a physicist worth respecting. Personally I'd respect her so hard she'd have trouble walking the next day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must saw that was the best one yet and the most interesting show.
    Forum Member
    Had a little giggle at the intros.

Dara - Are you excited to be here?
    Josh Widdecombe - Yes, very excited

I bet as he was sat next to Helen in her short denim skirt and FMBs :D
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yes she was showing a nice bit of leg tonight:p

Helen is shaping up as the true successor to carol voderman as a brainy babe
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    From what I can gather on Twitter, James May will appear on an episode, him and Dara is a cool combination :)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Had a little giggle at the intros.

Dara - Are you excited to be here?
    Josh Widdecombe - Yes, very excited

Sorry FMB's?
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it when the cola bottle rocket hit the camera man! He really didn't think through his shot!