Options

Moving to America next year for an internship.. Accomdation help!

PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
Forum Member
So basically i've got a year internship in america next year (6 months in LA & 6 months in new york). I've been wanting to move to america for the whole of my life so i'm very very excited about this...

Anyway i need some help. My university is helping me out with all my visa stuff (i'm on a 4 year uni course with a sandwich 'placement' year). But i need to look for accommodation. As i have never been to LA before i have no idea where to look or where to live. The place that i'm working has the zip code of Los Angeles, CA 90014 so obviously i want to live near there but i'm finding it so hard. I've been looking around on various sites but they are just full of glamourous apartments for like holidays.

I know it's going to be very expensive but i'm trying to find a cheaper place to stay whilst i'm out there. Does anyone have any experience of moving out to LA or any advice for me? Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    Ask for assistance from the company who will be employing you.

Their employees will be far more familiar with the area than anyone on this forum.
  • Options
    Alex250PAlex250P Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asking the company is your best bet, as they will have had interns move over before.

Out of interest, what are you studying and what university are you at? It sounds like an amazing opportunity you have there.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CA 90014 is in downtown Los Angeles.

I agree with the previous poster, you definitely need local knowledge from people who live there. One major consideration is whether you'll be using a car or public transport to commute.

You look around the area with Google Maps and StreetView as follows:
    Go to maps.google.com
    In the Google Maps search bar, enter:
    CA 90014
    That will display a map of the area. If you keep zooming in, it will automatically flip into StreetView mode with photographs. You can then move about as if you were driving on the streets.
    Apologies if you already know how to work StreetView.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cheapest housing in America is around university campuses - maybe look what you can find around UCLA.
  • Options
    jesse_pinkmanjesse_pinkman Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh man, I'm so jealous! That's an amazing opportunity, would love to do something like that.

Sorry I can't be any help but all the best and make the most of it!
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    So basically i've got a year internship in america next year (6 months in LA & 6 months in new york). I've been wanting to move to america for the whole of my life so i'm very very excited about this...

Anyway i need some help. My university is helping me out with all my visa stuff (i'm on a 4 year uni course with a sandwich 'placement' year). But i need to look for accommodation. As i have never been to LA before i have no idea where to look or where to live. The place that i'm working has the zip code of Los Angeles, CA 90014 so obviously i want to live near there but i'm finding it so hard. I've been looking around on various sites but they are just full of glamourous apartments for like holidays.

I know it's going to be very expensive but i'm trying to find a cheaper place to stay whilst i'm out there. Does anyone have any experience of moving out to LA or any advice for me? Many thanks!

Craigslist is a good place to start looking and also university websites. Have you got a deposit sorted? In my limited experience of renting we had to pay 2 months rent upfront and a deposit of 1 month's rent to cover any damage (some was non returnable as it was for mandatory carpet cleaning etc). Mind you, it was part of our relocation deal, we didn't have to find any of the cash ourselves.