Buffy The Vampire Slayer - A General Discussion Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah Buffy ref in Comic Con....anyone seen the Joss Whedon Comic Con in promo for SHIELD? I wanna see what he says about the show as apparently he was doing a segment or soemthing?
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And i love that "inbetween" vibe of post-High School and leading into season 5s darker/adult feel. Brilliant. :D

I think the tale end of Season 2 and the entire Season 3 were far more adult and darker than Season's 4 and 5. Season 6 swung to far the other way though and mostly forgot the fun side of the show. That period of the end of Season 2 and Season 3 was where the show got the balance between fun (without being pantomime) and drama (without being boring) perfect.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Been watching it from the start on Netflix and I'm really enjoying it. On Season 3 now and there's barely a weak episode, just really strong stuff. Absolutely loved The Wish, one of my favourite episodes so far and was really cool seeing Xander and Willow vamp it up. Really should've stuck with it back when it was on BBC2 but I lost track of it. Looking forward to seeing what's coming next.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vampire Willow is scorching hot, and the scene of her and Vampire Xander sharing Cordy is even hotter than that!
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xander: Tara and Willow have been doing spells
    Oz: So I've heard
    Xander: Sometimes when I'm alone, I think of 2 women doing spells together and I do a spell by myself.

Fantastic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLassic stuff there guys...just got Netflix myself (and addicted to Modern Family atm) and love seeing Buffy up there <3

Yeah...i see what you mean Rocketpop....again its to do with the balance of the show...but i feelthere were so many real dark intensely adult themes across the show as a whole...and yeah season 2 and 3 got into intense darker themes...season 4 and 5 also did with that blend of humour and light too dont so perfectly and i love that.

SteelEdge that is awesome...so many classics you have seen already...and yeah The Wish was such a cool left-of-centre episode and the twist of COrdy half way through getting killed by Vamp Willow and Xander reminded me of that sense of unease you felt in Psycho when Janet Leigh was killed half way through as you feel the story is about "them" but it wasnt...i was like...well if COrdy dies the wish stops but the nightmare continued...expertly done! Love how the sequel Doppelgangland had a humourous twist with it too :D

Love that quote brb XD so funny!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawn: Willow and Tara do spells together. Sometimes I wish they'd show me. I told mum that I wished they'd teach some of the things they do together, but she hushed me and made me go to my room.

ahah. :']
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read there that Dolly Parton was effectively a producer of the Buffy tv show. Didn't know that one! http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2013/07/31/tv-legends-revealed-was-dolly-parton-a-producer-on-buffy-the-vampire-slayer/
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

the hellgates are opening again!!!!!!!!

i say just do it...joss can write an exciting story for 2 hours i am sure, he can wrap up whats happened to characters since s7(if he follows comics) etc within 20 mins, plently of time for them to beat a baddy and just generally have a reunion too.

thats what most fans want really,doesnt have to be the most amazing storyline of all time.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Buffy movie would be very exciting, I get what SMG is saying, they tried it the first time and it didn't work, but one thing she didn't think of is that movie was all wrong, it had lot's of interference, actors weren't interested and didn't try or "get" the story and the Joss' script was totally messed with, he wanted it darker, the company wanted it fluffy and almost a comedy, he couldn't do anything.
    I think that with the right cast (i.e. the TV cast), Joss' total involvement, excellent scripts, a decent budget and a good storyline it could work. It may be more of a cult success than a massive one but the fans would love it.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    A Buffy movie would be very exciting, I get what SMG is saying, they tried it the first time and it didn't work, but one thing she didn't think of is that movie was all wrong, it had lot's of interference, actors weren't interested and didn't try or "get" the story and the Joss' script was totally messed with, he wanted it darker, the company wanted it fluffy and almost a comedy, he couldn't do anything.
    I think that with the right cast (i.e. the TV cast), Joss' total involvement, excellent scripts, a decent budget and a good storyline it could work. It may be more of a cult success than a massive one but the fans would love it.

There would be a problem explaining how Spike and/or Angel had aged so much. Having said that Angel aged very visibly during the two series so maybe it would just be ignored.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    There would be a problem explaining how Spike and/or Angel had aged so much. Having said that Angel aged very visibly during the two series so maybe it would just be ignored.

They wouldn't even have to make an appearance tbh, if they kept the core of Buffy, Willow, Xander, Dawn, Giles and maybe Anya I think that would do.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    They wouldn't even have to make an appearance tbh, if they kept the core of Buffy, Willow, Xander, Dawn, Giles and maybe Anya I think that would do.

I was going to say explaining Anya would be even harder but this is Buffy so maybe not:).
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Angel and especially spike have to be in it. I can suspend disbelief when it comes to their aging, as I did in the show as they aged.

If it was down to me I would probably throw a joke in about them looking older.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Angel and especially spike have to be in it. I can suspend disbelief when it comes to their aging, as I did in the show as they aged.

If it was down to me I would probably throw a joke in about them looking older.

Really old vampires (like the Master) lose their human features after, so some sort ageing process must occur.
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    Nearing the end of Season 3 now and wow, Faith really has turned to the darkside hasn't she? Absolutely loved the scene where Buffy, Angel and Giles made it seem like Angel had been turned again to trick her into revealing the Mayor's plot. Totally fooled me and the reveal was a real 'Woah!!!' moment. Last episode was the one where Buffy could hear peoples thoughts. Interesting idea and fun for the most part although the whole 'hunting down the killer student' thing bored me a little.

Oh, and I'm hoping that new Watcher (the one that fancies Cordy) meets a grisly end. Damn he's so bloody irritating!! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think S5 is my favourite series. Glory is immense.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really old vampires (like the Master) lose their human features after, so some sort ageing process must occur.

True, and it would be easy to write in some mumbo-jumbo about having a soul aging a vampire.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    Nearing the end of Season 3 now and wow, Faith really has turned to the darkside hasn't she? Absolutely loved the scene where Buffy, Angel and Giles made it seem like Angel had been turned again to trick her into revealing the Mayor's plot. Totally fooled me and the reveal was a real 'Woah!!!' moment. Last episode was the one where Buffy could hear peoples thoughts. Interesting idea and fun for the most part although the whole 'hunting down the killer student' thing bored me a little.

Oh, and I'm hoping that new Watcher (the one that fancies Cordy) meets a grisly end. Damn he's so bloody irritating!! :mad:

Wesley is annoying in Buffy, but brilliant in Angel.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finally nearing the end of my Buffy/Angel re-run.

I finished Angel season 4 on Sunday, and have two episodes of Buffy season 7 to watch tonight.

After that, it's just one season of Angel and then it's all over :(
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Wesley is annoying in Buffy, but brilliant in Angel.

Yup. Brilliant character development, great arc for him. Almost as good as Spike's.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So... The end of Buffy :( At least I have one more season of Angel.

I'll tag this, as there seem to be people in this thread who are new to Buffy/Angel...

Angel season 4:

I actually hate Connor more than I hate Dawn.

I liked certain parts of the season, disliked others.

I don't like Cordy's treatment throughout the season... but I guess a lot of that was because Charisma Carpenter was pregnant, so that had to be dealt with.
    And we got some lovely cleavage shots

Certain parts of the overall arc seemed... pointless... to me.
    WTF was the point of the Beast? WTF was the point of Angelus? Why?

I did like how it was used to tie together or explain various things that had happened during the series, such as
    Connor's existence, Cordy's ascension, etc.
    . Although it wasn't stated, you could also assume that
    Jasmine
    was the reason that:

-
    the snow fell in that first Buffy ep with the First, saving Angel from a sunrise-suicide

-
    Angel came back to Earth from the Acathla hell dimension

I also liked how they saved the world from
    peace and love

The finale felt rather anti-climactic to me, although I suppose it wasn't really the finale... it was more of an epilogue / set up for season 5.

Also, they screwed up with the credits in the penultimate episode of season 4, putting
    Lilah in the opening guest credits instead of the end guest credits, and thus spoiling the surprise
    . Don't understand why that was done, when normally that kind of appearance would use the end credits.

Buffy season 7:

Well, at least Dawn is no longer my least favourite character (hello Connor).

I loved Spike's arc in this, and the series as a whole.

It was nice to see
    Fillion
    playing a villain.

I don't understand why the Scythe was called the Scythe when it was not a scythe. Also, larger than my nitpicky naming issue,
    that whole Scythe thing was a big gorram deus ex machina, as was the Slayer Activation Spell.
    Still, hardly the first time eh, given the end of season 5 and the whole
    Dawn-is-the-Key-but-as-she-is-my-sister-we-share-the-same-blood-therefore-I-am-also-the-Key-and-can-conveniently-close-this-portal-myself-by-falling-into-it
    thing.

I can head canon any lack of
    Jasmine influence in Sunnydale
    due to the increased Hellmouth activity. However I do wonder what
    Jasmine
    would/could have done if
    the First opened the Hellmouth and covered the world in Ubervamps

And and speaking of
    Ubervamps
    ... They went from being
    OMG BUFFY ONLY JUST MANAGED TO KILL A SINGLE ONE
    to
    yeah, whatever man, even the non-powered Scoobies can kill them eh

Also:
    - Talk of Buffy having to die to activate Dawn (when Dawn thought she was a Potential), and talk of Buffy having to die to activate any one of the others, makes no sense... She already died at the end of season 1, activating Kendra (who later died, activating Faith). Buffy's second death at the end of season 5 didn't create another active Slayer, so WTF are characters talking about how she's still part of the main Slayer Line and that if she died (again!) it would activate someone? Also, the whole thing about Buffy's second resurrection screwing up the Slayer Line and enabling the First to make a move never actually made any sense.

Oh, and Clem was awesome.

Still... despite what I see as plot issues, large and small, I still loved it :)
  • Otis HillOtis Hill Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    So... The end of Buffy :( At least I have one more season of Angel.

I can head canon any lack of
    Jasmine influence in Sunnydale
    due to the increased Hellmouth activity. However I do wonder what
    Jasmine
    would/could have done if
    the First opened the Hellmouth and covered the world in Ubervamps

Still... despite what I see as plot issues, large and small, I still loved it :)

I thought it was established that Jasmine's influence hadnt stretched too far outside LA. I think they managed to stop her before she actually spread her influence all over the world. She probobaly would have had an effect on Sunnydale if she'd gotten that far
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finally nearing the end of my Buffy/Angel re-run.

I finished Angel season 4 on Sunday, and have two episodes of Buffy season 7 to watch tonight.

After that, it's just one season of Angel and then it's all over :(

Yup. Brilliant character development, great arc for him. Almost as good as Spike's.

I totally agree about the Brilliant character Development , all of the characters went through fantastic development.

I finished my Buffy run a month ago and Angel just 2 weeks ago i miss watching them both now i always get like that when i finish them.

One thing i was unhappy about was the cancellation of Angel , gutted it never made it to a 6th Season , would have seen alot of changes and amazing things , reading the the comics of Angel and the continuation of Illyria , i really loved her character very dark , mystical and portrayed by the amazing Amy Acker she proved herself to be a very good actress in this role because the personalities to Fred and Illyria are totally different.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Certain parts of the overall arc seemed... pointless... to me.
    WTF was the point of the Beast? WTF was the point of Angelus? Why?
    Misdirection. The mid season 4 shenanigans were part of Cordy/Jasmine's plan to keep the gang busy so they wouldn't focus on her condition or notice the changes in her. Leaving her to prepare for the birth without interference from those closest to her. It does somewhat diminish the epicness of those episodes, but personally I don't mind that too much cause I find it makes for great viewing.