Options

Rickie Lambert Disappointed at England Snub - England Squad Question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Rickie Lambert revealed he was disappointed at being snubbed for the England squad. I gotta say (even trying to be unbiased as a Saints fan) I agree with hiim. He has now proven in every league that he can score goals so why not give him the chance to do it in the internationals? Isn't the frendlies the kind of games to test them out? So what he is 31? Gerrard is older, Lampard older than both. He may not have pace but he has everything else.

Why does a player like Lambert get snubbed (who has 11 goals in the top flight when many said he'd be lucky to get 5/6) but Welbeck (who had 19 appearances this season but only 1 goal) commonly get the call up? Is it purely because of the Manchester United shirt?

Comments

• Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Rickie Lambert revealed he was disappointed at being snubbed for the England squad. I gotta say (even trying to be unbiased as a Saints fan) I agree with hiim. He has now proven in every league that he can score goals so why not give him the chance to do it in the internationals? Isn't the frendlies the kind of games to test them out? So what he is 31? Gerrard is older, Lampard older than both. He may not have pace but he has everything else.

Why does a player like Lambert get snubbed (who has 11 goals in the top flight when many said he'd be lucky to get 5/6) but Welbeck (who had 19 appearances this season but only 1 goal) commonly get the call up? Is it purely because of the Manchester United shirt?

Welbeck gets into the team because there is more to his game than just scoring goals.

Lambert doesn't get into the squad because he isn't good enough.
  • Options
    Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Welbeck would do well to sign for a championship club when his current contract finishes
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It does seem odd to be going into a game with just Welbeck and Rooney as the strikers, unless you include Walcott. Even then, Rooney's more of a number 10 these days. There would have been no harm in giving an in-form striker like Lambert a chance.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Welbeck gets into the team because there is more to his game than just scoring goals.

That reminds me of the fact there was more to Heskeys game than scoring goals!

He misses them!
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lambert isn't international quality, not by a country mile.

FlatMatt is right, it's about your whole play.

Lambert getting in is no different to Ricketts, Carlton Cole, Bothroyd, Frazier Campbell and Davies. Other English strikers who had a little run and suddenly should be leading the England line....then failed miserably

Half a season in the Premiership doesn't make him ready and at 31 I'd rather Roy if he was taking a gamble tried something for the future.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Lambert isn't international quality, not by a country mile.

FlatMatt is right, it's about your whole play.

But how does someone know if someone is international quality unless they give them ago? And surely someone who is inform now is better than someone who is doing okay now but may or may not be good in the future?

99 goals out of 121 games for Southampton across 3 seperate leagues. It's not like he has gone off boil at any time. I'm not saying he should definitely be given a chance and its an outrage that he isn't I'm saying why not give him a go? He said he can still see himself playing for a few years yet. England play Ireland soon so surely thats a chance to give the more risky players a go?

And also Lambert has much more to his game than scoring goals. His vision is great as is his passing, great strength as well. Saints fans love him, Wellbeck however seems to have fans annoyed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have been adverse to him getting a call up as we are very short and he's proven he can do it at this level. Yet....

We have to look to the next gen. We should be looking at the next tourney. Neither of which involves Lambert. Nor should it imo.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have liked to see him called up. Its a bit arrogant of some to think we have riches a plenty in the striking department.

I like his hold up play, physical presence and footballing intelligence. Decent set pieces. My only reservation at the very top is his slight lack of pace and he is perhaps not an instinctive enough finisher.

I still think he might get a chance if he keeps knocking the goals in.
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to think Gary Hooper's performances in Europe this season puts him ahead of Lambert.

Making the step up from SPL to CL is imo a far greater indication on your ability than banging in a few goals in the premier league.
  • Options
    KierenjKierenj Posts: 2,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Roy has proven he mostly panders to the press... recalling Carroll after barely a handful of games... he may be the future but I'd be inclined to leave him at West Ham and let him train there and work on his fitness than go to the England camp and work on tactics and light training.

I agree with above, Hooper is above Lambert for me but both are above Carroll... Welbeck is there as quite simply when he plays for England he is one of the best threats going forward.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I dont think there would be any harm in giving Lambert a go but equally its not a huge big deal if he isnt. England dont have a great amount of striking options so anyone in form should be in with a shout, but a 31 year old with half a season of top flight experience isnt a long term solution either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    I would like to think Gary Hooper's performances in Europe this season puts him ahead of Lambert.

There's a point to that as well. Hooper has impressed me a lot and hasn't looked remotely out of place in the Champions League.

I would probably agree with you. He also has age on his side too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I dont think there would be any harm in giving Lambert a go but equally its not a huge big deal if he isnt. England dont have a great amount of striking options so anyone in form should be in with a shout, but a 31 year old with half a season of top flight experience isnt a long term solution either.

Yes I agree with that too and with Kieran above.

We do need to see what these players are potentially capable of when pitched in amongst other more experienced international footballers.

I think the point with Welbeck is he just looks and appears to be a better international footballer. Some struggle to reproduce club form for their country, a handful actually operate in reverse and I sense Welbeck is one of them.

Welbeck certainly merits being in and around the place despite his club goalscoring form, though a fully fit and in-form Sturridge would make for more interesting competition and variety in attacking positions.

Its a shame Sturridge is injured, it would have been nice to see him tried for England while bang in form as opposed to coming from the bench.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »

Making the step up from SPL to CL is imo a far greater indication on your ability than banging in a few goals in the premier league.

I think Hooper would do well at international level. He'd get the time on the ball he'd need that he gets in the SPL and that you get in European football.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when Carroll was called up after, err, doing absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Lambert should announce his retirement from England today, don't be a part of that clique. Its a cess pit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    I remember when Carroll was called up after, err, doing absolutely nothing whatsoever.

Lambert should announce his retirement from England today, don't be a part of that clique. Its a cess pit.

How do you retire from something you have never done?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More pressingly, why would he not want to play for England anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you retire from something you have never done?

Of course you can - people say that they no longer want to be considered for international duty all the time.

To announce it would be symbolic, and a thumb in the eye to the FA and the ridiculous Manager who would pick a terribly out of form Carroll just because he played for liverpool at the time and ignore someone like Lambert who can score in every league.

Its been a problem with england for many years, where a clique had formed where players were picked on name (and who they played for) rather than form.

It would not surprise me for Michael Owen to get a call up!
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone that would retire before a first cap due to not getting called up at the first serious chance they have shouldn't be trusted to be part of a squad.

To announce it would be self-serving and needless. If he's unhappy about not getting called up, get on with your game and play to the point that people call for your inclusion rather than whine about it or withdraw yourself petulantly from consideration at the first hint of disappointment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course you can - people say that they no longer want to be considered for international duty all the time.

To announce it would be symbolic, and a thumb in the eye to the FA and the ridiculous Manager who would pick a terribly out of form Carroll just because he played for liverpool at the time and ignore someone like Lambert who can score in every league.

Why is this somehow seen a a plus? All that matters is what he has done at the top level. The fact that he scored in Div 2 a number of years ago is completely irrelevant to him being picked for England now.

The idea of a player who has never been picked annoucing their retirement and that they no longer wish to be considered is up there with some of your best recent stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not even overwhelmingly deserving of inclusion anyway. Personally I would try him but its not one where you'd express outrage over him being overlooked.
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    England need to build for the future, and tournaments that lay ahead. Picking an uncapped guy of 30 isn't the way to go. Imo playing Gerrard should be out of the question as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is this somehow seen a a plus? All that matters is what he has done at the top level. The fact that he scored in Div 2 a number of years ago is completely irrelevant to him being picked for England now.

The idea of a player who has never been picked annoucing their retirement and that they no longer wish to be considered is up there with some of your best recent stuff.

Of course it is, at international level not every team play like barcelona, some play like stoke, and some like championship teams.

I have no doubt that certain "top" international players could not score in the english divisions. (Messi would not score 85 goals in division 1)

Anyway, it means that Lambert is adaptable and has an eye for putting the ball in the net. If he were at a top 4 club i have no doubt he would be in the squad.

Its just typical of the FA and england managers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    supertalk wrote: »
    England need to build for the future, and tournaments that lay ahead. Picking an uncapped guy of 30 isn't the way to go. Imo playing Gerrard should be out of the question as well.

Correct

We should be playing the team that will take us through the next 8 years.

Gerrard has been out of form for years (and is of dubious character) - thats why his goal last week was "vintage".

Vintage as it hasnt been seen for years.

Im sick of players living on past glories.

Crouch doesnt get a chance anymore when he has the best goals per game ration of any recent england striker!
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its been a problem with england for many years, where a clique had formed where players were picked on name (and who they played for) rather than form.

It would not surprise me for Michael Owen to get a call up!
    Correct

We should be playing the team that will take us through the next 8 years.

Gerrard has been out of form for years (and is of dubious character) - thats why his goal last week was "vintage".

Vintage as it hasnt been seen for years.

Im sick of players living on past glories.

Crouch doesnt get a chance anymore when he has the best goals per game ration of any recent england striker!

You seem to find it impossible not to have digs at Liverpool in every thread!

To say gerrard has been out of form for years is silly too. He was Englands best player at the last tournament and whilst not reaching previous heights he's hardly been living of past glories at Liverpool.

Lambert could have been picked but wasn't, no biggy really!

If gerrard should be discarded from England for being not for the future then it's hardly worth introducing Lambert into the mix.