Options

LBC 97.3 Politics Thread

Comments

• Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chinchin wrote: »
    Why hasn't prominent Tory 'Biffa' Dale been sacked for his assault? LBC sacked Tre Azam didn't they?

IIRC Tre Azam was sacked because of fraud.

Didn't the police just give ID a warning for his assault?
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IIRC Tre Azam was sacked because of fraud.

Didn't the police just give ID a warning for his assault?

Bad enough for a 'presenter' though?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    LBC parliament on soon with Iain Dale tonight. Peter Bone is on. He's a hardened tory eurosceptic! Should be excellent listening, lbc parliament is always good at the best of times.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Bump. Just to remind posters of this thread over on LBC chit chat.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why hasn't prominent Tory 'Biffa' Dale been sacked for his assault? LBC sacked Tre Azam didn't they?

But then, to be fair, he was c**p.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    LBC parliament on soon with Iain Dale tonight. Peter Bone is on. He's a hardened tory eurosceptic! Should be excellent listening, lbc parliament is always good at the best of times.

Surely these people should be called "Europhobes." They are hardly merely sceptical on the subject on the European Union and their objections all seem to based on the fear of foreigners.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha. So Maria Miller has gone . . . . . but only from the cabinet.
    Isn't it time that constituents were enabled to sack their MP if they are caught with their hands in the till?
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it time that constituents were enabled to sack their MP if they are caught with their hands in the till?

I think she would have got away with it but for that pathetic apology of an apology. If only she'd managed to display some contrition or humility, there wouldn't have been such a tidal wave of public outrage. As somebody once said: 'The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake that, you've got it made.'
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

They'll have their chance next year.

If she was to be removed as MP for Basingstoke now, surely that would have to be done by their local Conservatives?
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I asked you to vote for me to represent you and do stuff for you, and I won, you'd then expect me to do it.

So imagine I then ask you for some payment - a "tax" if you will - so I can go to the shops on your behalf and buy what you need. I take your payment which covers the goods and travel expenses, plus a little bit extra to pay me for doing it. Fair enough, you say.

So now what do you say when I come back from the shops without what you told me to buy? I bought something else, cheaper, and try to tell you that you actually needed this more. And I also take more than the travel expenses allowed and spend it on doing up my own house. I then ask you for more money, complain that my salary is not enough, and deny that I ever took more than I should.

I keep doing this every day for 5 years. Then I lie about what I have been doing, promise to represent you again and win another 5 years.

This is politics. We should all be insanely furious about it and demand proper consequences. It's theft, taking money under false pretences, fraud, organised crime. Miller should be sacked immediately along with everyone else who dipped in. It's what would happen to us, after all.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

If she was to be removed as MP for Basingstoke now, surely that would have to be done by their local Conservatives?

Probably not easy to organise, but maybe a petition by a certain percentage of the constituents should determine an MP's future. Not just in this case, but whenever there has been a 'problem'.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not easy to organise, but maybe a petition by a certain percentage of the constituents should determine an MP's future. Not just in this case, but whenever there has been a 'problem'.

Zac Goldsmith has been campaigning for this for some time.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2014/04/from-zacgoldsmith-the-maria-miller-controversy-is-a-reminder-of-why-we-need-a-proper-right-of-recall.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    They'll have their chance next year.

Quite likely but WHY? It's we, the plebs, who matter!
    HappyTree wrote: »

This is politics. We should all be insanely furious about it and demand proper consequences. It's theft, taking money under false pretences, fraud, organised crime. Miller should be sacked immediately along with everyone else who dipped in. It's what would happen to us, after all.

Absolutely.
    I AM insanely furious. I shall be even more insanely furious if we're told that she's getting a golden handshake.
    She should be repaying the total £45k+ and then getting clapped into jail.
    Heaven knows they go on enough about benefit cheats and that's exactly what she is.
    Rant over.......... for now :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He can come and campaign on my doorstep any time he likes. :D
    (That pic doesn't do him justice.)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Quite likely but WHY? It's we, the plebs, who matter!

I guess it's down to the plebs in her Basingstoke ward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wonder how many Tories remember this?

That is why a Conservative government will introduce a power of ‘recall’ to allow electors to kick out MPs, a power that will be triggered by proven serious wrongdoing.

we will introduce a Parliamentary Privilege Act to make clear that privilege cannot be abused by MPs to evade justice.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,871
    Forum Member
    I really wasn't impressed nor happy with JOB during 10-11AM on Syria today. I think he was playing dumb, part on a wind up towards muslims and the "questions" he was asking had an obvious answer(s) but he didn't want to acknowledge or answer them our mention them himself as it would "end" his discussion.

I don't think the Syrian situation is complicated at all. Its because of Blair crying wolf on Iraq has, as predicted, put people off from backing military intervention when its really needed/justified!

Thanks to Virgin Queen for the link to the thread btw.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought Cristo was on a brainwashing agenda thing in favor of the Tories and against Labour on his show early saturday morning.

He said something like "Oh what a terrible week for Ed Miliband"! Errr Labour won the council elections! Terrible week?!!!!!
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I thought Cristo was on a brainwashing agenda thing in favor of the Tories and against Labour on his show early saturday morning.

He said something like "Oh what a terrible week for Ed Miliband"! Errr Labour won the council elections! Terrible week?!!!!!

More Tory propaganda from the odious weasel that is Cristo. LBC - Leading British Conservatives. >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    More Tory propaganda from the odious weasel that is Cristo. LBC - Leading British Conservatives. >:(

It sounded from the tweets he was reading out that he wasn't having much success in getting people to agree with him though! :D:) The election results from london should have told him that he was whistling in the wind too.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »

It has been a terrible week for him, but please god he stays in post to 2015. Gaffes galore. The consensus was that Labour would benefit from the collapse in the Liberal vote and the Tories would be hit by the rise of UK. Well the Liberals are down 10% from 2010, UKIP up 14% and Labour somehow only have a tiny lead of 2%. When one of your own senior colleagues says he ‘looks weird, sounds weird, is weird' it's not a big leap for a radio presenter to have a dig.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It has been a terrible week for him, but please god he stays in post to 2015. Gaffes galore. The consensus was that Labour would benefit from the collapse in the Liberal vote and the Tories would be hit by the rise of UK. Well the Liberals are down 10% from 2010, UKIP up 14% and Labour somehow only have a tiny lead of 2%. When one of your own senior colleagues says he ‘looks weird, sounds weird, is weird' it's not a big leap for a radio presenter to have a dig.

UKIP's vote will fade next year as it did on Thursday too from 23% to 17% and still no control of any councils. :D:)

Labour only got an extra 2% because thats based on the increase/gains from the 2010 council elections.

As for the Tories, they were 20 seats short of a majority on 36% of the vote in 2010 and are now at 29%. The words go figure spring to mind in who will either win the next election or be the largest party.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labour have gone backwards since 2012 and the momentum is against them. It's not Cameron's fault that the boundaries have been gerrymandered in favour of Labour for 25 years. The Tories got a higher percentage of the vote in 2010 than Blair in 2005. Tories were 21 seats short of a majority yet Blair got a 66 seat win. Go figure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Labour have gone backwards since 2012 and the momentum is against them. It's not Cameron's fault that the boundaries have been gerrymandered in favour of Labour for 25 years. The Tories got a higher percentage of the vote in 2010 than Blair in 2005. Tories were 21 seats short of a majority yet Blair got a 66 seat win. Go figure.

I have done. Tory supporters turn out in big numbers to vote even in their safe seats, labour voters don't, hence popular number anomalies. Even then, in 2010, there was around 5 Million extra votes for left of centre parties than there was for centre right parties, I take it that is the reason why the Tories do not want PR. Labour should though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank goodness for that, otherwise we would have been in a worse state than we are now. Letwin would have given the banks the keys to the safe and said, "help yourselves guys, just make sure we don't get the blame for it."
This discussion has been closed.