Xbox Event - 21st May, 6PM UK time

Comments

• ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    Looks like they finally been pushed to reveal the expensive turkey they've got lined up!

I'd say it will be a very dissapointing affair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expensive indeed, $499 he says.

Stinks of Kinect bundled to me.

Remember, the PS3 was $499 and $599 and we all know how well that did at the start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    LOL

Why are people going on about games?

MS are going to show nothing about the games until E3. All this is, is MS going boom here's the box, this is how we are going to infect every part of your TV experience and then have the tricky issue of 'Always on' to explain

As for games ... seriously folks 'Exclusives' mean nothing when pretty much every game plays the same now a days and as we have seen in this gen there is very little difference between how games look on the 360 and PS3 and thats not going to change going forward
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah because it's ridiculous for people to want to know about the games that will come out on games console isn't it.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah because it's ridiculous for people to want to know about the games that will come out on games console isn't it.

After Sony unveiled the PS4 all anyone really seemed to care about was what the box looked like :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it true they pushed the reveal back from april to may because they realised it sucked in comparison to the revealed ps4 details?
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    After Sony unveiled the PS4 all anyone really seemed to care about was what the box looked like :p

Exactly, besides all we really saw game wise from SONY were some pretty cut scenes from Killzone and some lovely particle physics on what looked like a rather drab, by the numbers platformer.

Hardly set the gaming world on fire did it now?

And it's going to be the same from MS
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    is it true they pushed the reveal back from april to may because they realised it sucked in comparison to the revealed ps4 details?

It's only true if your gullible enough to believe utter tosh like that!!! LOL

How much of a systems architecture, build, functionality can they change in a machine thats been on the drawing board and designed for what 2- 3 in years and then fundamentally redesign in what.... a month? :rolleyes:

Seriously thats brilliant you sir are amazing!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only true if your gullible enough to believe utter tosh like that!!! LOL

How much of a systems architecture, build, functionality can they change in a machine thats been on the drawing board and designed for what 2- 3 in years and then fundamentally redesign in what.... a month? :rolleyes:

Seriously thats brilliant you sir are amazing!!

so why was he reveal pushed back then ?
    on ign it says
    As Microsoft confirmed yesterday, the next Xbox will be revealed on May 21st from Redmond, WA. Thurrott referred to previous reports that indicated the reveal would come in April instead, saying “the initial reveal date was pushed back from April 24 to May 21 so that Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, which Sony announced in late February.”

maybe my translation of bit in bold was a bit extreme ...but accurate
    Forum Member
    so why was he reveal pushed back then ?
    on ign it says

maybe my translation of bit in bold was a bit extreme ...but accurate

Sickness, problems with the venue, making sure all aspects of the presentation are right, getting the actual look of the console finished etc are far more likely to be the cause and not a whole system re design LOL

Maybe it's like SONY who (if reports are to be believed) threw in 8GB's of RAM in at the last minute to compete with the new xbox's supposed specs?

Who knows only MS know but to say it's not as good as x,y or z before anything has even been announced or shown is like the ravenous fanboy stating that such and such game is 'Going' to be amazing before it's even been released.

To be better placed could just mean they want to steal say the instant replay or getting a friend to remotely play your game for you function .... I mean what else can they realistically do in a month??
  • caz06caz06 Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well it seems the new xbox will infact be called "XBOX Infinity" which i think sounds pretty cool

http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-720-rumors-xbox-infinity-real-name-microsofts-next-gen-gaming-console-1217375
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "On that day, we'll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future," said Xbox Live director Larry Hyrb.

This suggests to me that MS will do EXACTLY what Sony did, and save the actual box reveal for E3, meaning quite a few people will have a bit of humble pie to eat *COUGHmajornelsonCOUGH*.

Plus the fact that major game reveals will be saved for E3, this is going to be all about the multimedia services and will no doubt involve the odd Usher-like appearance.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xbox rumour is one full-on games console and one "other" box, either an Apple TV style tv box or a 3rd gen Xbox 360.

I think May 21st is about the entertainment side of things and all things gaming related will be at E3.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    well it seems the new xbox will infact be called "XBOX Infinity" which i think sounds pretty cool

http://www.ibtimes.com/xbox-720-rumors-xbox-infinity-real-name-microsofts-next-gen-gaming-console-1217375

I hope so, I actually love that name.

Microsoft were always scheduled to announce it around April/May. The leaked information that spoke of the mini Xbox also said they cause of the delay was due to the manufacturing since they want to show the console off physically at the event. It will be far too late to switch specs.
    Forum Member
    While we're speaking of rumours has anyone read this one? I read about it at Neogaf. link

Here's some quotes from the article:
    “You are not required to be connected to the internet in order to play Durango games and MS were NEVER considering doing such a thing. Now please, just read that last sentence over and over again until it sinks in. Done? Good.”
    Ok, moving on. Have you read the VGLeaks article about the Durango specs? Yes? Good because everything you read in that article was 100% correct. Except, for one tiny little detail that MS kept guarded from most devs until very recently. That detail being that every Durango ships with a Xbox 360 SOC.
    There was a reason why MS hired so many former IBM and AMD employees. I’ll admit I’m not an electrical engineer (I’m in software) so I won’t pretend to know the ins and outs of how the 360 SOC integrates into the Durango motherboard. All I know, and all I need to know about this new change is that I (or a game dev) can use the 360 SOC in parallel with the original Durango hardware.
    What does this mean in basic terms? Well, apart from Durango having 100% BC with the 360, it also increases Durango’s processing power a fair amount."

Interesting concept. Using the 360 SoC in tandem with the Durango architecture, it's probably not true (who knows really) but that would be an interesting and powerful piece of tech if so!
    "The only thing that I do know for definite is that Durango will be running Windows 8. It will essentially be the full version of the OS, minus the desktop side of things. This means it’ll be running the new WinRT framework, which as a side effect also means that contrary to popular belief MS will be the most indie friendly of all the big 3 next gen. This is because any app/game that is created for the Windows app store will (after adding controller support of course) be playable on Durango.

In other words, any random person worldwide can pay Microsoft a $60 license fee (for the Windows Store) and submit their app/game to the store where millions of people can then download/buy it. No expensive development kits needed."

Now this is more feasible. I wouldn't be surprised if true, I think MS will have a lot lined up for Indie games next gen, it's perhaps why Sony went out on a limb recently to showcase how Indie friendly they are. Microsoft learned a lot from XBLIG and it's clear MS care about them regardless of what has been said in the media.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Not the games, the...gifs? I'm guessing that's so you can go on a fanboy forum conquest? Fingers crossed it all goes tits up eh ;)

Since you never pay attention to anything Sony I'm guessing you missed it, but in the RUN UP to the event, there was like a mass photoshop fun time where Kaz's face was put into many situations, so yeah, until the event starts I can't wait to see how creative Microsoft fans can be! Some of the stuff was actually pretty hilarious.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Infinity is a terrible name. Conjures up images of BT. :yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While we're speaking of rumours has anyone read this one?
    That was discredited and ridiculed on GAF. Hence the mods changing the topic to include 'TALES FROM MY ASS'.

Here are some reasons I think why:
    - Mentions they posted the info on IGN, but later mentions they do not want to post on NeoGAF in case they lose their job. Makes no sense. How can you post on one forum and not lose your job, but post on another and lose it. All of which is done using monikers. Not your real name (unless they were idiotic to register using it).

- Several times in the pastebin they mention they do not know a lot of info. But they assert that MS never considered always-online. Well unless you know everything about the next Xbox, you cannot say with any degree of certainty that it was never considered, because what if some of the info you do not know includes always-online.

The only way this would be known is if you were high up in MS and form part of the decision making process. Someone that high up is not going to be posting leaks on pastebin.

- Mentions they are in software, but mentioned on Twitter that they are not a game developer. This leaves it open to being an app developer (ie Netflix) or someone working on engines/tooling for game developers. They later in the pastebin mention not to know much about the OS. That rules out an app developer as they would have to deeply integrate with the OS.

So the only one left is an engine/tools person. Someone working on those would require very detailed knowledge of the system - including how the 360 SoC is integrated to the 720 - but they say they do not need to know this information.

- Claims to have seen the new controller, and that it looks no different to the current one but that it feels different, but has never actually used one. If that doesn't smell fishy, I don't know what does.

- And the main point for me - nothing new. All info is in the leaked PDF document from way back.
    Sickness, problems with the venue, making sure all aspects of the presentation are right, getting the actual look of the console finished etc are far more likely to be the cause and not a whole system re design LOL

Maybe it's like SONY who (if reports are to be believed) threw in 8GB's of RAM in at the last minute to compete with the new xbox's supposed specs?

Who knows only MS know but to say it's not as good as x,y or z before anything has even been announced or shown is like the ravenous fanboy stating that such and such game is 'Going' to be amazing before it's even been released.

To be better placed could just mean they want to steal say the instant replay or getting a friend to remotely play your game for you function .... I mean what else can they realistically do in a month??
    He never said a complete re-design. You're putting words in his mouth.

All he did was ask if some speculation was true, no need to berate in such a manner.

And for those mentioning Infinity, Infinity was the very first name used to refer to the next Xbox years ago, way back before we knew it was codenamed Durango. It came from Kotaku and they said there were two teams - Infinity and Loop. If it is true, Infinity may have been the 720 team and Loop the 361 team that Paul Thurrott says is no longer happening.

I'm not so sure that they would have settled on a name that early on, though.
  • Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Since you never pay attention to anything Sony I'm guessing you missed it, but in the RUN UP to the event, there was like a mass photoshop fun time where Kaz's face was put into many situations, so yeah, until the event starts I can't wait to see how creative Microsoft fans can be! Some of the stuff was actually pretty hilarious.

Kaz gif's are the best, so just for you:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546988

It may be about finances but there are some good gif's in there.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    Kaz gif's are the best, so just for you:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546988

It may be about finances but there are some good gif's in there.

Oh man, I lost it at this one: http://25.media.tumblr.com/c54ecacea21530e66890c9d1a578ec62/tumblr_mhx84lFcIh1rrhvgbo1_500.jpg

Also the Rocky III one gets me everytime.
    Forum Member
    Oh god...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw on GAF that the Dreamcast was also announced on May 21st. It's doooooooomed!
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting close now, any speculation of what games we might see tomorrow night?
  • iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Getting close now, any speculation of what games we might see tomorrow night?

Hopefully the new call of duty!
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we'll see the new Call Of Duty, but I get the impression that omorrow will be more about the hardware and its functions.

I guess we will probably get some tech demos and perhaps a handful of gameplay glimpses, but we'll have to wait for E3 to get any in depth games coverage.