Is there an elephant in the room re religious fervour?

jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...the elephant being that sometimes people who convert to a religion, or suddenly become extremely devout in the religion they are born into, may actually be suffering from mental illness? Could there be a reluctance of some mental health practitioners in seeing this because of the taboo of questioning people's religious beliefs? And yes I am thinking of it in the context of the two suspects in the Woolwich case, and at least one of the brothers, and possibly the mother in the Boston case.....

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Source.
    Many people find comfort in religious faith, but a provocative new study links certain beliefs with emotional problems. The study, published April 10 in the Journal of Religion & Health, showed that people who believe in an angry, vengeful god are more likely to suffer from social anxiety, paranoia, obsessional thinking, and compulsions.

Researchers reached this conclusion after analyzing responses of 1,426 Americans to a 2010 poll on religion. Poll respondents who indicated belief in a deity were placed in three categories -- those who believed in a punitive god, those who believed in a benevolent god, and those who believed in a deistic (uninvolved) god. Then the researchers looked at the prevalence of emotional problems in each group.

What exactly did the researchers find? Symptoms of mental illness were more common among those in the punitive god group than in the deistic god or benevolent god groups.
    How about the prevalence of emotional problems in believers and nonbelievers? Overall, the study found no significant difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Youre only really using examples of three people tho
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youre only really using examples of three people tho
    I am sure there a lot more, it's just the most recent ones that are foremost in my mind.
  • FieldfareFieldfare Posts: 2,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's something that crosses my mind, not just in relation to what happened yesterday. I don't know, I really don't so am wary of having a strong opinion. But it is known that people with very severe psychiatric illnesses can have religiously expressed belief and behaviour. Likewise there have been deeply religious people who have been dismissed (or far worse) as 'mad'.

It's complex having human brains, all the religion, culture, creativity, damage, experience, memory can get into a right big muddle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »
    Very interesting Sniffle, thanks. I suppose it's not really rocket science that if you are overly angry or anxious about things in your life, and someone comes along and tells you that there is this all powerful being who you can pray to who will then unleash punishment in this life or in the afterlife on those who you resent or who cross you or your friends or co-faithful, that some people may latch onto this concept as a source of psychological security, a confidence enhancer in some way.
    Fieldfare wrote: »
    It's something that crosses my mind, not just in relation to what happened yesterday. I don't know, I really don't so am wary of having a strong opinion. But it is known that people with very severe psychiatric illnesses can have religiously expressed belief and behaviour. Likewise there have been deeply religious people who have been dismissed (or far worse) as 'mad'.

It's complex having human brains, all the religion, culture, creativity, damage, experience, memory can get into a right big muddle.
    It's definitely a touchy issue as of course, as anyone religious may presumably take offense in the connection of the two subjects, there are plenty of articles on the net that put forward the idea that religion, in of itself, is a mental illness, but that's not what I am saying exactly. Religion is a pretty complex thing that encompasses cultural identity, ritual, the familiar, contemplation, music, singing or chanting intended to encourage euphoric or trance like effects etc.

I suppose its when the change is often quite sudden i.e. in a sudden conversion or suddenly becoming overly devout, that you wonder (or you may know) whether that difficulty, or at least part of it includes some kind of mental illness or breakdown, which could have been triggered by a more mundane difficulty such as a bereavement or experiencing some other kind of physical or social trauma such as an attack or bullying or humiliation of some sort, or simply be a genetic predisposition or drug related.

When I look at the actions of these men yesterday, if they hadn't said anything about getting troops out of our lands or praising god, people would just see it as another incidence of people suffering from a severe mental illness carrying out a knife or sword attack that we have seen in the past, right down to them not wanting to flee, having random conversations with onlookers etc.

Could it not be that belief in an almighty being, believing in a 'great conflict', could not go hand in hand with mental illness? Sniffle's study at the top would seem to point to be people who become particularly fervent believers in the Abrahamic religions being more susceptible. The problem is I think mental health practitioners and GPs may be or have been, reluctant to allow themselves to consider a patient's religious beliefs as possibly part of the symptoms of mental illness, and as a consequence, people who may need treatment never end up being treated, with possibly serious results.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You would also have to discuss whether all murderers have mental health issues?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You would also have to discuss whether all murderers have mental health issues?
    Why's that? I am not talking about people who become particularly religious who only go on to commit murderous acts.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    General rules of thumb - converts tend to be the strongest believers whether it's religion, politics or football.

Another general rule of thumb - never trust anyone fixated on one subject.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Why's that? I am not talking about people who become particularly religious who only go on to commit murderous acts.

Ah OK, I misread the OP. :o