Nexus 4 Battery Life - < 3 hours?

Comments

• Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    nonsense!

how much screen time do you get? On the Google+ page for the nexus 4 they must hundreds of people posting screen shots of their battery usage and 3 to 3 and half hours of screen on time is normal on stock.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nonsense!
    This is about normal for most phones thesedays. If you are using it with WiFi and 3G and a semi-bright screen on and off throughout the day, you can expect 3.5hrs max screen on time from most phones.

Standby time [over 1.5 days on my HTC One] is completely different to Screen On Time [which was about 3.5hrs over the course of that 1.5 day period].
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gavo360 wrote: »
    how much screen time do you get? On the Google+ page for the nexus 4 they must hundreds of people posting screen shots of their battery usage and 3 to 3 and half hours of screen on time is normal on stock.

I have had up to 5.5 hours, normal is about 4 with 20% battery left. That is with auto brightness and not playing any battery draining games. I use Faux kernel though - better battery life and it sorts out that screen.
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I have had up to 5.5 hours, normal is about 4 with 20% battery left. That is with auto brightness and not playing any battery draining games. I use Faux kernel though - better battery life and it sorts out that screen.

II get just over 3 hours with auto screen, no games, Gmail push on and location tracking on. Stock android.

Paranoid android is another rom good for battery life that pushes 4-5 hours of screen time. But I'm yet to go down the custom rom route.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Well, the phone is going back tomorrow as I'm getting about 2 hours even with most things turned off and a power monitor watching what's going on.

It was draining at 1% every 2 minutes last night just texting... That cannot be right, can it?

That's simply unacceptable, so I can either get a replacement and see if it is the phone, or, I can get another phone.

But can anyone suggest a replacement that actually HAS a decent battery life?
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Karis wrote: »
    Well, the phone is going back tomorrow as I'm getting about 2 hours even with most things turned off and a power monitor watching what's going on.

It was draining at 1% every 2 minutes last night just texting... That cannot be right, can it?

That's simply unacceptable, so I can either get a replacement and see if it is the phone, or, I can get another phone.

But can anyone suggest a replacement that actually HAS a decent battery life?

Its not normal and its safe to say you have a duff phone. The Nexus 4 has decent battery life.

I have one and my stats just now are:- 13h 6m 45s on battery. Ive been texting all day, using whatsapp almost constantly and my battery has 72% left.

I would get a replacement nexus 4 and try that. Frankly i'm not sure why you havent already :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Its not normal and its safe to say you have a duff phone. The Nexus 4 has decent battery life.

Thanks. This makes me feel a lot more positive as I really want to keep the phone! I love it!
    I would get a replacement nexus 4 and try that. Frankly i'm not sure why you havent already :confused:

Because I'm utterly crap with technology and it took me long enough to get this phone in the first place and I needed to get advice on it first.

I'm pretty sure now that it's the battery that's crap and that I should get a really good charger as well (as opposed to the crap provided by LG).

That said, how much have you turned off on your phone? I know loads of people say: turn everything off and then you'll have great battery. Which, frankly, seems to defeat the point of having a phone in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. This makes me feel a lot more positive as I really want to keep the phone! I love it!

Because I'm utterly crap with technology and it took me long enough to get this phone in the first place and I needed to get advice on it first.

I'm pretty sure now that it's the battery that's crap and that I should get a really good charger as well (as opposed to the crap provided by LG).

That said, how much have you turned off on your phone? I know loads of people say: turn everything off and then you'll have great battery. Which, frankly, seems to defeat the point of having a phone in the first place.

I never ever turn my phone off. The only time i had it off was yesterday morning about 1am - 5am-ish when we were on the plane home :mad::cry::mad:

The charger that comes with the phone is fine. I use it all the time. I also use a wireless charger and get the same charge from both.
  • Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I leave everything on apart from Bluetooth and I only turn my WiFi off when I leave my house. With full screen brightness I get just about a day from a fully charged Nexus 4, so there's definitely something wrong there.

Presuming you got your device from Google Play, I would give them a call and get them to send you a replacement as it will still be under warranty. I had some issues with my Nexus 7 and they quickly sent a replacement, so I assume the process would be the same.

The battery life you are getting is not normal, so I would definitely look into getting it replaced.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never ever turn my phone off. The only time i had it off was yesterday morning about 1am - 5am-ish when we were on the plane home :mad::cry::mad:

The charger that comes with the phone is fine. I use it all the time. I also use a wireless charger and get the same charge from both.

I just wish I knew whether getting another N4 will resolve the issues... If I don't get 5 hours for just basic texting, surfing and the odd phone call, I can't see the point of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just wish I knew whether getting another N4 will resolve the issues... If I don't get 5 hours for just basic texting, surfing and the odd phone call, I can't see the point of it.

It will though.

This is what i'm saying. I'm 13 hours off the charger, used it for texting, whatsapping and facebook most of the day and its now at 76%.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i got over 24 hours yesterday.
    took phone off charge at around 10pm on saturday night.
    and by 10pm sunday night it still had 40% battery left.

i have screenshots to prove it for the doubters.

yes i was amazed too.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i got over 24 hours yesterday.
    took phone off charge at around 10pm on saturday night.
    and by 10pm sunday night it still had 40% battery left.

i have screenshots to prove it for the doubters.

yes i was amazed too.

I've just checked. Took it off charge yesterday and it's on 18h 17m and 52s with 12% remaining, and that's including some games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just checked. Took it off charge yesterday and it's on 18h 17m and 52s with 12% remaining, and that's including some games.

i have a feeling some of the poor battery reports are down to rogue third party apps sucking the battery.

the Sky Go app i think is one that i found was doing that even though i wasn't actually using it. i had loaded it and then closed it but it remained active in the background and had used 40% of the battery.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try the Snapdragon battery management app. It learns how you use your phone then intelligently switches things on and off. For example, if you're not using wifi all day, it'll shut it off until you are. It'll stop apps that you don't use much from syncing etc. All of these can be switched back permanently if you want them to be.
  • Options
    Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    Although it needs rooting, installing the Franco kernel worked wonders for my N4 as far as battery use was concerned. Getting the pro version of the kernel updater also meant I could calibrate the colours of the screen. I was totally gobsmacked at the difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Although it needs rooting, installing the Franco kernel worked wonders for my N4 as far as battery use was concerned. Getting the pro version of the kernel updater also meant I could calibrate the colours of the screen. I was totally gobsmacked at the difference.

Yup, thats what i use. Maybe i should have said that earlier!! However, the battery without this lasts way long enough.

The colour difference is as you say completely different and incredible!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup, thats what i use. Maybe i should have said that earlier!! However, the battery without this lasts way long enough.

mine isn't. so really long battery is possible without having to install custom ROMs etc.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gsmarena quoted some of the Which test data in one of their posts. Quite apt considering both GSM and Which on the whole give real data.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/uk-consumers-awards-the-galaxy-s4-as-the-fastest-smartphone-with-best-battery-life/

The N4 does well whilst the Nokia 920 and iPhone come bottom.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you go to settings battery, that will tell you how long the device has been running on battery and which processes having been using it up.

At this second mine has been on battery for 9h 21m and is still at 85%
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iangrad wrote: »
    turn off your
    gps
    wifi
    3g data
    bluetooth

Put you screen brightness on auto

and only switch them on as required -- then if you make just a few calls you will get days upto 6 in my experience .

I hate that advice. What's the point in having a smartphone if you're gonna turn off all the features.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate that advice. What's the point..
    To have the battery last a week with features still available?

On Android it is near pointless turning off the GPS when in fact it is actually off until apps make use of it.
    Some people also switch to 2G in order to increase battery life.
    Spare batteries weighing about 60 grams or so are very useful too, but quite obviously, are not for everyone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    To have the battery last a week with features still available?

On Android it is near pointless turning off the GPS when in fact it is actually off until apps make use of it.
    Some people also switch to 2G in order to increase battery life.
    Spare batteries weighing about 60 grams or so are very useful too, but quite obviously, are not for everyone.

or you could get a zerolemon extended battery like my 7000mah for my s3

close your eyes you might cry

i get 48 hrs with 16hrs screen time :D

edit they do one for the nexus to

http://www.amazon.com/warranty-ZeroLemon-Guarantee-Compatible-ZL-i515-black-5900/dp/B00AZZOH04/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1372704082&sr=8-5&keywords=ZeroLemon

good luck finding one in the uk thou

edit actually that link will ship to the uk
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other possibility is that your in a poor signal area,

It kills the battery if the device has to continuously seek out for a good signal
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I been thinking about getting a Nexus 4 to replace my amlost 22 month old HTC Desire S that been suffering from signal drop outs now and again.
    Reading this thread about the battery life on the Nexus 4 makes be wonder if the Nexus 4 is worth getting.
    The HTC Desire S that I have the now I have to charge the battery every morning and thats with moderate use and its down to 55% of the battery in a day. That with texting, making maybe 1 or 2 short calls and playing angry birds maybe once in a while. If I use the MP3 player on it like I do on the bus every Saturday morning battery can go down to 50% used by the end of the day.
    Is the Nexus 4 worth getting. Some days I would use the phone more than others.
    I would also have to get a new sim as the sim im using the now is not a micro sim.
    I did look at the Samsug Gallexy S 3 but liked the look of the Nexus 4 as I also have the Nexus 7.

Darren