Posh Pawn on Channel 4

Comments

• Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Bit rubbish this week.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I think 'someone' at Prestige fancies Hetty something rotten.
    Can't say I blame him though, she is rather tidy :)
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    Bit rubbish this week.

Bit so, so, but still interesting enough.

Nice to see he informed the chap about the forthcoming prints and the appreciating value of his picture though.
    It's a little too 'fantasy art' for me though.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: off to look at Kerry Darlington's work now.
    Some of those drawings/paintings did look pretty impressive. That said though to spend £25k - all their savings - when they have a family and he was unemployed - was silly iMO. It's just unpredictable luck that the investment is likely to pay off in the long run.
    Terry N wrote: »
    Bit rubbish this week.
    Yeah it was a bit dry, especially in comparison to last week's.
    Nice to see he informed the chap about the forthcoming prints and the appreciating value of his picture though.
    It's a little too 'fantasy art' for me though.
    The cynic in me thinks that was just done for the cameras; unless they had a particular link to the customer or fancied them, the cynic in me thinks the pawnbrokers would keep schtum about it.
    Forum Member
    myss wrote: »
    Some of those drawings/paintings did look pretty impressive. That said though to spend £25k - all their savings - when they have a family and he was unemployed - was silly iMO. It's just unpredictable luck that the investment is likely to pay off in the long run.

Yeah it was a bit dry, especially in comparison to last week's.

The cynic in me thinks that was just done for the cameras; unless they had a particular link to the customer or fancied them, the cynic in me thinks the pawnbrokers would keep schtum about it.

Sorry, I missed the first 10 minutes or so, didn't know he'd bought it while he was unemployed, a '$hit or bust' punt as we call it.
    Well he's potentially looking at a very tidy profit if he hangs on to the picture for a few more months.
    Looking at some of the art at the chap's house it was an educated punt.
    Can't remember the figure James was offering, but I don't think he'd have lost money if he'd sold or pawned it out to James.

Cameras or no, James could have kept schtum, we (the viewers) would have been none the wiser if he'd have sold it on a few months from now after the print run.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eagle9a wrote: »
    If the necklace was valued at 250k, why did she only accept 120k ? Surely a trip to Christys or Sotherbys or even bloody E-bay would have been a better option :confused:

I'm glad she took the money, she can now go and buy a pair of trousers that actually fit her! :p
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did the feeling that Ken Russel's missus went on the show simply to promote her forthcoming autobiography. I mean did she really think that pictures of her getting married to him would have a high value?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    I did the feeling that Ken Russel's missus went on the show simply to promote her forthcoming autobiography. I mean did she really think that pictures of her getting married to him would have a high value?

They were a weird thing to get valued, but I suppose it was worth a try. If she or Ken Russell had been more famous then they'd have probably been worth something.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could that top have been unbuttoned any lower?
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mums rings come last!
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    380 quid to get them back? Sell the bloody smeg fridge dear.
    Forum Member

I'm guessing you're on about Sid's Daughter, having just rewound it for another look, No it couldn't have been unbuttoned any lower without her spilling out.
    I've got no objections anyway.
    New girl Kristen's not unpleasant on the eye and ear either btw.

I get the feeling Sid's working this for the publicity, wouldn't be surprised if he turned up the Tab's with various Cat burgling tales, so he can slip in a mention of his childrens book.
    Made me think of the late Peter Scott again.
    Forum Member
    380 quid to get them back? Sell the bloody smeg fridge dear.

Yes because the market for secondhand Smeg fridges is extremely bouyant at the moment.
  • The Lost BoyThe Lost Boy Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because the market for secondhand Smeg fridges is extremely bouyant at the moment.

Just had a nose on ebay. She probably wouldn't get all she needed but would get a fair chunk of it.
    Forum Member
    Just had a nose on ebay. She probably wouldn't get all she needed but would get a fair chunk of it.

Depending on how old it is and what condition it's in maybe she would get close. She would have to buy another fridge though wouldn't she?
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing you're on about Sid's Daughter. No it couldn't have been unbuttoned any lower without her spilling out.
    Except there was very little to spill out! :confused:

Back to the serious business now. Does James really have to 'road test' every high performance toy that comes in......or is the cynical side of me thinking this is just done purely for viewer entertainment?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm really surprised that he wrote off the debt, and gave the stuff back. I wonder if he will be plagued with customers who can't pay giving him sob stories now, to try and get theirs written off.

The woman who had her loan written off sounded like Katie Price
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Back to the serious business now. Does James really have to 'road test' every high performance toy that comes in......or is the cynical side of me thinking this is just done purely for viewer entertainment?
    I reckon the latter.
    rhumble wrote: »
    I'm really surprised that he wrote off the debt, and gave the stuff back. I wonder if he will be plagued with customers who can't pay giving him sob stories now, to try and get theirs written off.
    I thought the same but noticed how much the PA and the other guy were repeatedly stressing how it was an one off/strange/once in a blue moon/etc it was.
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Except there was very little to spill out! :confused:

There was enough to spill out for me, anyway.
    I'm guessing you're on the Big TV boobs thread.

I suspect that tooling about on fast toys is done for his enjoyment, hooning it about on the A roads near the shop with other cars seemingly going in reverse, wouldn't look so good on camera though.
    If I was in his position I'd probably do the same, then offer them tuppence hapenny :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »

The woman who had her loan written off sounded like Katie Price

Well it doesn't look too good PR wise to be seen to be really hard on the woman with cancer, it might just lose them future business. I think thats the only reason he wrote the loan off, if she hadn't have been on telly he wouldn't have bothered.
    Forum Member
    shegeek wrote: »
    Well it doesn't look too good PR wise to be seen to be really hard on the woman with cancer, it might just lose them future business. I think thats the only reason he wrote the loan off, if she hadn't have been on telly he wouldn't have bothered.

He wasn't or wouldn't have been 'hard' on her, if he'd kept it, he's in business IMO.
    The Jewellery didn't look to be worth all that much, either, value was more sentimental, probably why he didn't miss it, giving it back.

I suppose he might get some extra business from those who think a sob story might get them out of the debt months down the line, I suspect they'll be disappointed though.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was that jewellery the cat burglars daughter pawned purchased by him or was it nicked?
    Forum Member
    Was that jewellery the cat burglars daughter pawned purchased by him or was it nicked?

Yerman (Pawn Broker) made a point of saying that he makes various checks for stolen goods and Cat Burglar is on TV with the jewellery, what do you think?
    One piece was Grannies passed down IIRC.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yerman (Pawn Broker) made a point of saying that he makes various checks for stolen goods and Cat Burglar is on TV with the jewellery, what do you think?
    One piece was Grannies passed down IIRC.

Yeah right. :D
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fiasco with Sid was so obviously staged for the show. Can you imagine - sorry if you don't know what I'm talking about - Rick from Pawn Stars, even entertaining a customer who claimed her stepdad was a famous cat burglar - oh, by the way, I've got some jewellery I need to pawn! No genuine pawnbroker would even consider taking the stash as collateral, whether he was sure, or not, of it's origin.