People like this don't deserve to win the lottery!

Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
Forum Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24879033

Ron Elliot has just won a jackpot of £8m but he has vowed to continue working, despite being rich enough to retire immediately.

The care worker, who earns £15,000 a year, said he had no plans to hand in his notice.

Then this low of the lowest greedy idiot

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096927/Mick-Jean-OShea--10m-lotto-winner-STILL-claiming-6k-year-benefits.html

Michael and Jean O’Shea won £10.2million on the lottery, they promised: ‘We’ll never be any different, no matter how much money we have.’

More than six years later, the couple remain true to their word.
They still occupy the three-bedroom ex-council house they were living in when their numbers came up – and Mr O’Shea still claims around £6,000 a year in benefits.

Why do these idiots play the lottery is they dont want to change their lives? :mad::rolleyes:

My favouirte lottery winner so far was one of the 12 Corby bus driver syndicate who won a combined £38m. He was on mid shift when he was alerted that he won the lottery. He parked the bus and told passengers they would have to wait for another driver/bus as he wont be going any further. He quit there and then. What man! :D

Comments

• DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    I thought you couldn't have over £16k in savings if you were on benefits before you lost them?
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet their kids are happy though, they'll be wiggling about with the brakes on his mobility scooter :p
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They're being judged for not going mad with money. It's baffling on here sometimes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first man is said to love his job. Why on earth should he have to give up something he loves just because he won the lottery? Clearly, the satisfaction he gets from his job is not something that money can buy.

As to the couple - the benefit they claim is DLA and is not means tested.

I think you are just jealous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Why don't they 'deserve' to win? They bought a ticket just like anyone else. :rolleyes:

Are you green OP?
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first mans should give up his jb to let someone unemployed have a chance.He could do voluntary work.

The second are just greedy whether entitled or not, sorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ron Elliot has just won a jackpot of £8m but he has vowed to continue working, despite being rich enough to retire immediately.

The care worker, who earns £15,000 a year, said he had no plans to hand in his notice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096927/Mick-Jean-OShea--10m-lotto-winner-STILL-claiming-6k-year-benefits.html

Michael and Jean O’Shea won £10.2million on the lottery, they promised: ‘We’ll never be any different, no matter how much money we have.’

They still occupy the three-bedroom ex-council house they were living in when their numbers came up – and Mr O’Shea still claims around £6,000 a year in benefits.

Why do these idiots play the lottery is they dont want to change their lives? :mad::rolleyes:

My favouirte lottery winner so far was one of the 12 Corby bus driver syndicate who won a combined £38m. He was on mid shift when he was alerted that he won the lottery. He parked the bus and told passengers they would have to wait for another driver/bus as he wont be going any further. He quit there and then. What man! :D

Great story but what made him think that "alert" wasn't a wind-up by a colleague? If it was then he should have been sacked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're being judged for not going mad with money. It's baffling on here sometimes

Most people enter the lottery to win life change amounts of money. I dont know why these people bother playing if they're already happy in their jobs. Maybe they do it for tax reasons :D
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tnt wrote: »
    Most people enter the lottery to win life change amounts of money. I dont know why these people bother playing if they're already happy in their jobs. Maybe they do it for tax reasons :D

the first bloke built a mansion in Ireland and the second bloke for all we know might be an International playboy in his spare time now :cool:
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    The first mans should give up his jb to let someone unemployed have a chance.He could do voluntary work.

How do you know the first man hasn't made large donations to charities? Also jobs as care assistants are 10 a penny (round here at least) so maybe there wouldn;t be anyone waiting to fill his shoes.

In the case of the second couple, although their benefits aren't means tested, I do think they should make the choice not to clain them any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Domestos wrote: »
    I thought you couldn't have over £16k in savings if you were on benefits before you lost them?

Some benefits, such as DLA aren't means tested. Even David Cameron claimed it for his son.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problems with the first chap. Why give up a job you love? For all we know he may be giving his wages to charity, but even if he isn't he is doing no wrong in my eyes.

As for the second couple, taking benefits AND keeping the council house when you've got millions is selfish scummery of the highest order.

Edit; Just seen it's an ex council house. My position still stands and if it were me i'd donate it back to the council so that a family who actually needs it could benefit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I have no problems with the first chap. Why give up a job you love? For all we know he may be giving his wages to charity, but even if he isn't he is doing no wrong in my eyes.

As for the second couple, taking benefits AND keeping the council house when you've got millions is selfish scummery of the highest order.

It's NOT a council house, it's an ex council house, indicating it is now a privately owned property.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's NOT a council house, it's an ex council house, indicating it is now a privately owned property.

Just edited my post.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody "deserves" to win the lottery. It's a lottery. Last time I looked Lady Luck wasn't hot on means testing.
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair to the care worker guy, he's only just won, he may change his mind once he comes to terms with his winnings.

The other couple are just greedy pedants IMO
  • vodkamargarinevodkamargarine Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said!! :)
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

i am pleased to see he enjoys his job as a care worker but if he doesn't require the job he could give it up as there are so so many unemployed in this country, maybe he could volunteer his time
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me-Cheetah wrote: »
    To be fair to the care worker guy, he's only just won, he may change his mind once he comes to terms with his winnings.

The other couple are just greedy pedants IMO.

Yes, and a lot of people work because of the social side of things. His social life could revolve around his friends from work. A few years back I would have had the same attitude if I'd won the lottery as I was in a job I loved and had a lot of friends there.

Now, well I would give up straightaway! :o
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    If I won over £6m I'd quit work immediately! If it was under, I'd stay part time.
  • MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A care worker who really does it because he loves the job and how he can help people would be a dream choice of carer for a lot of people needing care.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's something for you OP
    Have you considered the people the First man is a carer for.
    Don't you think it would be better for them to continue getting care from a friendly familiar face who knows their needs rather then a complete stranger?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just knowing you will never have to worry about money ever again is life changing. I doubt it just sits there in their account untouched, they probably treat themselves and family and friends.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

Hmmmm .... :rolleyes:

Twitter rumours claimed ... He was on mid shift when he was alerted that he won the lottery. He parked the bus and told passengers they would have to wait for another driver/bus as he wont be going any further. He quit there and then.

... and, as well all know by now "Twitter rumours claimed ... " means "The next bit is bullsh*t"!

From a somewhat more reliable source ... "The rumours that a driver quit mid-shift "was a load of sh*t", says one of the winners. In fact, the drivers learned of their win late in the evening, and no one was working at the time."
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

My feeling too.