Whats been the most unnecessary sequel iyo?

Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think the second Bridget Jones Diary "The Edge of Reason" was completely unnecessary. I didn't really care for the sequel to "Romancing the Stone" "The Jewel of the Nile" either. Both kind of took away from the entire point of the original film and cheapened the first film at it.

I think "Honey I Blew Up the Kid" which was the sequel to "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" was another one I could have done without ever seeing.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Speed 2
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, this is a common point of discussion :D

e.g.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1528278

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1606825

The usual choices... the RoboCop sequels, the Highlander sequels, the Matrix sequels, etc.

I'd also add the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Battle Royale II
  • Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another 48 hrs

Stakeout 2
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The Rage: Carrie 2.

As SFX remarked at the time: "What's next? Citizen Kane 2: Return
    of the Sledge
    " ?
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    The Hangover should have been left as a stand alone. Then it would have been regarded as a classic.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "King Kong Lives", the deservedly forgotten sequel to the 1976 remake. The remake was ok but KKL is just batcrap crazy.:o
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably all sequels are unnecessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday after next. It should of been left as Friday and next Friday.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars 2

And dare I say 'Despicable Me 2'? It wasn't a terrible film but although I will continue to watch the first from time to time I can't see me ever watching the second again.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyond the Poseidon Adventure.

The Exorcist II: The Heretic.

Both were unutterably stupid, pointless and completely undid/rewrote things in the original. I do admit to a soft spot for "Beyond" though, purely for the awful effects and hilarious acting from people we know better as Oscar winners (Michael Caine, Sally Field, etc.)
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with your choices, woot_whoo. A right pair of duds!

I would add The Descent 2.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As in the other threads, the temptation here is to list bad sequels, but that's a completely different issue. The Matrix sequels were bad, but the first film did have enough story potential for the sequels to justifiably exist - it was just a shame they ended up being so bloody awful.

If we're talking about sequels that can truly be labelled as unnecessary, it's more about how contrived were the lengths the film-makers had to go to in terms of continuing a story that was seemingly finished.

With standard horror and action films, that's not all that difficult. It's just a matter of recreating the same circumstances with the same/some of the same/none of the same people. No, that doesn't make said sequels necessary, but I wouldn't consider any of the Saws, or Halloweens or Die Hards or whatever as contenders for the most unnecessary movies.

Although, with regard to one recent horror movie, the producers did make a rod for their own back by calling their movie "The Last Exorcism", which does make the upcoming sequel (yes, it's actually called "The Last Exorcism Part II") sound completely redundant. But having said that, I haven't seen the original so I can't really judge.

For me, the single most unnecessary sequel of all time was that which followed a film that could not have been wrapped up any tighter if it was invited to a bondage party at Christian Grey's house. the tagline for said movie is "There can be only one". And at the end of the movie, that's exactly what there was. Only one. Job done. All finished. Do not pass go. Do not collect £200. Do not lose your head.

And for that reason, Highlander 2 (and everything that followed it) must surely be recognised as the most unnecessary sequel of all time.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sequel to debbie does dallas was rubbish imo

Debbie does the leeds inner ring road just didn't have the same ring to it.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Jaws II, III and IV. Once with a shark was enough!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skulls - why continue when Last Crusade was a perfect ending to the franchise.

Crocodile Dundee 2 and 3 - both rather lacklustre compared to the original.

Die Hard 4.0 - Meh. Leave John McLaine alone now please!
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    S.Darko, American Psycho 2, Cruel Intentions 2, Jurassic Park 2, Hannibal to name but a few. The list is endless.
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mummy 2? The guy gets killed off and his immortal soul returned to the afterlife at the end of the first film, the hidden city is destroyed and no-one apart from the three survivors knows where it was.

Twenty seconds into the second film and the bad guys have found the hidden city and dug up the mummys corpse which is still undead.
    Shit film.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aladdin 3.

The most unnecessary sequel since....Aladdin 2.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,196
    Forum Member
    Grease 2
    Scary Movie 5
    Big Momma's House 2 & 3
    Terminator 3 (The story had been told, no need for more)
    Beverly Hills Cop 3 (They're even making a fourth!)
    Son of The Mask
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    S.Darko, American Psycho 2, Cruel Intentions 2, Jurassic Park 2, Hannibal to name but a few. The list is endless.
    A very much anticipated adaptation of a very much anticipated novel. Shame they were both terrible.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very much anticipated adaptation of a very much anticipated novel. Shame they were both terrible.
    True, but the novel was written purely off the back of the success of the film of TSOTL, rather than being a 'true' sequel to the actual original novel, if you see what I mean. If Gump & Co had yet been filmed, I'd say the same thing about that.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    True, but the novel was written purely off the back of the success of the film of TSOTL, rather than being a 'true' sequel to the actual original novel,
    Fair point. IIRC, there was a lot of talk and rumour about the novel, but it did seem to be written very much with the film series in mind.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Last Exorcism Part II.

Rather negates the title of the first one.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Cross of Iron 1977 came Breakthrough 1979, which is stretching the word sequel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Even though i find them oddly watchable despite my gut telling me that they're crap, i'd say the sequels to The Hangover were completely unneccesary, and they've tainted my memory of the brilliant first film.

Die Hard 4.0 and that abysmal piece of shit that came out last year that was masquerading under the title of "Die Hard".